**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

The kids menu (or anything from the adult menu appealing to children) is ... challenging... for us. This is one of the rare times I pull rank and say we’re eating there, y’all can eat Mickey Bars for dinner later. :-)

I find the menu interesting/different, especially in MK where dining options are kind of limited.
Completely agree! Sometimes you have to pull rank! I don't think mine would put up much of a fuss over icecream dinner though!

Attended the 6/20 event and a few observations:

-I've done each of the After Hours events at all the parks multiple times - the Villains event was far and away more crowded than any of the others in my experience. No way of really knowing, but I'd guess double or triple the crowds of those other events. I was glad I did Villains, but it was one-and-done for me (as well as any other "themed" AH events).

-Although the crowds around the park were heavier (more on that in a moment), the ride times mostly weren't bad. The less popular rides were walk-ons or less than 5 minutes. We did BTMRR several times in a row with around a 5 minute wait each time. Even Pirates with the overlay (actors this time were much better than the ones at MNSSHP last fall) was around five minutes. Snack lines were easy and short waits, and well-stocked - Liberty Square and Frontier Land had no waits at all. Saw a few with longer lines (Tomorrow Land comes to mind - but that one always seems to be longer, as well as the ones on the sides of the Hub where much of the crowd was gathered all night).

-Had a rough start to the event - we got in line for Space Mtn at 9:58. AH guests were let into the FP queue. But everyone was completely stopped for around 15 minutes (rumor was the change to the overlay). Many AH guests were leaving the line to exit and not waste time. Finally started moving again - got off the ride at 10:31. Thirty minutes, however, for one ride at the event is just far too long. Rode again later in the evening around midnight - posted 25 minute wait, but it was around 15 (the line snaked around the queue about 4-5 times). Skipped 7DMT around the same time - posted wait was 35 minutes (although best guess it was probably around 20-25min).

-The Maleficent float was almost worth the price of admission alone - very different than the daytime parade and quite an experience. We did that twice.

-Skipped the stage show, as well as the paid snacks. The lines for the latter seemed to be some of the longest and similar to the parties.

-Merchandise was out early - we stopped by the Philharmagic gift shop around 9pm and were allowed into a roped off area to browse and buy with our wristbands (and I did like the new style and upgrade of the bands).

-Waits were short for the magic shots. The lighting around the park was great - especially the graphics around Tomorrow Land. Not quite as good as MNSSHP, but a nice atmosphere.

-Enjoyed the Villains at the end of Main Street - worth stopping and watching for awhile. Although it did highlight how much better this event could have been by dispersing more of them through the park during the event.

-Overall, the event felt more like a lightly attended MNSSHP (with less to do) than an After Hours event - which seemed odd since the ride times mostly weren't that different. The best way to describe it is that it has a party environment - which needs people (and is the opposite of what you're probably looking for in an After Hours event). I've liked the deserted vibe of previous AH events at MK - with a nearly empty hub and long stretches of paths with no one on them. We've felt like we had parts of the park to ourselves. Not at all with this event - it felt like the end of a busy evening (or an EMH) where lots of people were still around but everything was closing up. If someone hasn't done an AH event before, it probably seems fantastic (the park was very busy Thursday when we went in). But if you've experienced the prior AH event at MK, this is nowhere near the same.
Thanks for your review. Based on your review I’m thinking I’d still like to go. We don’t care about 7dmt so that wouldn’t take any of our time up and won’t wait for any specialty snacks (except a maleficent cone). The stage show, maleficent float, and ride overlays is what I would go for

Thanks for your review. Based on your review I’m thinking I’d still like to go. We don’t care about 7dmt so that wouldn’t take any of our time up and won’t wait for any specialty snacks (except a maleficent cone). The stage show, maleficent float, and ride overlays is what I would go for
I'd encourage anyone who was thinking about going to do it - the event is different in its own unique way and a fun experience. All of the reviews have helped everyone know what to expect - which is important when they do something like this that doesn't have an easy comparison. I'd commented earlier that I didn't know if this was MNSSHP-lite or After Hours on steroids. Having gone now, I'd say say it's more the former. That's not a bad thing, and just personal commentary on the look, feel, and focus of the event. In some ways, I think they may have been better off not using the "After Hours" branding and going with something different that set it apart.

I'd encourage anyone who was thinking about going to do it - the event is different in its own unique way and a fun experience. All of the reviews have helped everyone know what to expect - which is important when they do something like this that doesn't have an easy comparison. I'd commented earlier that I didn't know if this was MNSSHP-lite or After Hours on steroids. Having gone now, I'd say say it's more the former. That's not a bad thing, and just personal commentary on the look, feel, and focus of the event. In some ways, I think they may have been better off not using the "After Hours" branding and going with something different that set it apart.
Yeah they probably should have just called it a villains themed event rather than giving it the after hours title

We went to the June 20th event and had a great time. We rode every ride, except 7DMT, Ariel, SW, and Jungle Cruise during the event. We did JC with a FP at 9:00 and then wanted to take my niece through PP que so hit that right before ten. We did HM first to let the day crowd clear then hit Pirates - not impressed with live actors, actually pitiful attempt to add value. After that we went over to Space just after the first stage show started. Perfect timing, as we rode twice in 25 minutes. We loved the total darkness, and added noise and lightning. We stopped for four pictures. Scar, Oogie Boogie, one in front of Pirates, and one with the ominous castle. We only got a few drinks during the night and the water was lukewarm, which did not bother me as I generally drink it room temp, anyway. I don't understand why it is that way at MK. We did HS after hours on the 14th and the 21st (yes, we love that one) and the water and sodas are always cold, popcorn is fresh, snack areas plentiful, and the atmosphere is just so much better than MK and AK (where water was warm and only two snack locations to be found). Thursday is our last night of this trip and I am considering doing this again since this is my nieces one and only visit. The events are definitely more crowded for all three parks than when we went last December, but ride wait times are still very low to non existent and I still find value in them.

Bought our tickets for Aug. 1! We've only ever done MVMCP, so just hoping for wait times way less than that! Our only expectations are to ride all our favorites, eat a Mickey bar and some popcorn, and see the castle show at 1:00, we'll be happy!
I think you have very realistic expectations!

We aren't for sure yet, but we think we're gonna go to DAH on Thursday this week. It really depends on weather and it'll probably be a last minute decision because we want to do H2O Glow on Saturday. Right now it's looking like both days should be rain free at night, but I might give it a day or two more before we decide. I'm thinking we will either stay at Wilderness Lodge or the Swolphin. I haven't decided on that yet.

I went ahead and made a Whispering Canyon Cafe ADR before DAH at 6:40 pm and a Splash FP at 8:15 pm. There isn't much we want to do before DAH starts so we don't feel like we need to get there too early. We were just at TDR and did a lot of the same rides.

I booked for my daughter and I to go to the Aug. 1 event, we already had after fireworks dessert party plans and thought this would be a nice thing to follow that up with. I have an AP but she doesn't so we switched around her regular ticket for our departure day since we don't leave until the evening, and on this day will just enter at 7 and use our 7DMT FP at 7:15 so we don't have to worry about that during the party. Thankfully we'll have that out of the way, and since she hates SM we won't have to tangle with any lines for that (I rode deep space mountain at MNSSHP in October so I'm fine with missing the overlay). Just looking forward to letting her ride some of her favorites with shorter lines, and so that's really what we're going to focus on...doesn't hurt we'll be full from the dessert party so we won't be stopping for any snacks I don't think 🤢

We will be at Disney in 15 days! I am traveling with my two dds (15 and 22) my ds, his wife and their 5 kids. We got tickets for the adults to go to the villian after hours and got a sitter for the 4 older grands and planned to take the baby with because he is too young for the sitter(5 months). We have been to MNSSHP twice so I figured it would be fine to take him. I have since watched several vlogger videos and now I'm worried. For those who have gone is it going to be to intense for him?? The music seems very loud.

Interesting that you mention the weather on 6/13 as we thought the night was about as perfect as you could get in Florida in summer! Even my husband (who’s always hot!) commented on how pleasant the night was! Of course, I realize it’s all relative, and we were coming off some majorly hot days earlier in our trip, but we thought the weather was one of the highlights of the night!
Totally agree! It was a nice respite from the heat of day touring.

We didn’t really look before 10:00, but we also found a lot t of the normal snack places were closed pretty early. I wanted a Cheshire Cat tail and it was closed around 8:00 or so when I went to get one.
Just an fyi: I tried to get something from Cheshire Cafe one night (non DAH) and it was closed. I was told it closes 3 hours before park closing, which I probably should have known.

YMMV, but in my experience that place always tends to have reservation times when I’m checking same day.

I haven’t walked up without one, but I’ve made one a few mins before heading that way.

Unsolicited opinion, I really like Skipper Canteen. I’m glad it’s (usually) available!
Completely agree! We love Skippers!!

When we were there earlier this month, they had a sign out front that said something like “ask us about available reservations tonight” so I think you’re likely fine to walk up or at least make a same day ADR.

That’s probably true. If we do it I’ll probably go into it pretending it’s a mini MNSSHP. We probably would be going for the ride overlays and the atmosphere by the castle so I think we would come away enjoying ourselves.
This was exactly how we approached it and had a blast!! Full disclosure, we’d never done an AH event, so had nothing to compare it to, but when compared to MNSSHP the crowds were heavenly!!

Hello, does anyone happen to know exactly where the Hades Magic Shot is? Is it near the Mickey & Walt statues or near the outer hubs of the castle? Thank you!
We had ours taken on the outer rim of the hub, but parallel to the statue (if that makes sense). Also, this is an animated magic shot ONLY which I didn’t realize until after emailing PhotoPass thinking our shots were missing. I was expecting Hades to actually be in our pictures like the other shots, and was disappointed to find out that wasn’t the case.

Space Mountain- loved the total darkness. The line was nuts. At 10:30 we all got in the FP line. The wait said 20min, but then it turned into 40. It looked as if they were only running the right side. The line finally started moving and they were running both sides.
So crazy because I was there the same night and around 11:15 or so, no line at all. We walked right on.

This was exactly how we approached it and had a blast!! Full disclosure, we’d never done an AH event, so had nothing to compare it to, but when compared to MNSSHP the crowds were heavenly!!
The crowds at MNSSHP last year were ridiculous.

I keep going back and forth on this. We've done both the Halloween and Christmas parties but never an after hours event. We will be in Disney for a week. Since it will be hot, we got the water park plus tickets this trip. If we went, it would have to be the last night, Aug. 8th, which I suspect will be sold out or close to sold out. I keep thinking we will do a Glow Party (which we've never done). We need 4 tix which is around $550. I splurged on hotel so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for one night, even if all rides are walk on. But there's a part of me that still wants to go. Decisions, decisions...

I keep going back and forth on this. We've done both the Halloween and Christmas parties but never an after hours event. We will be in Disney for a week. Since it will be hot, we got the water park plus tickets this trip. If we went, it would have to be the last night, Aug. 8th, which I suspect will be sold out or close to sold out. I keep thinking we will do a Glow Party (which we've never done). We need 4 tix which is around $550. I splurged on hotel so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for one night, even if all rides are walk on. But there's a part of me that still wants to go. Decisions, decisions...
How long is your trip? If you have multiple days at MK I would say you could go without the DAH ticket if cost is an issue.

Can anyone tell me what Pirates/Frontierland is like right at the start of the party? Trying to formulate a plan of attack for the 7/11 party, and thought maybe Froniterland (Splash and BTMRR) around 9 during HEA until the start of the party at 10, then moving to Pirates before heading towards Fantasyland and winding up in Tomorrowland? It seems like 7DMT and SM both have some delays with line clearing/changeover right at the start of the party- wondered if Pirates had a similar issue?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter