**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

@GADisneyDad14

First - thanks for these threads, very helpful!

I've read each and am I correct that it seems each park has one once at week (I know that can change at any time)?

I was looking at May and it seemed AK was early in the week (Tuesday), MK was mid-week (Thursday) and DHS was Friday or Saturday?

I think since everything closes around 9pm in May outside of MK we will do the party at AK and DHS. We will be there a Wednesday to the next Friday (9 nights).
Of course my luck these will end May 5 and we arrive May 6. :o

Sorry for the late review but we just got home last night! We attended the Villain event on 6/13.

We arrived around 5:30 pm and entered the park using our annual passes and regular passes (my parents). The park didn't feel as crowded as it normally does in June so that was a good thing. We ate dinner and rode a few rides that we knew that we wanted to ride but didn't want to ride during the event.

Once the event started, as others have reported, there was a wall of cast members everywhere trying to get people out of the park. However, several times I saw people enjoying ice cream that didn't have a band on. I didn't say anything as the cast members seemed to be actively looking and I figured that they would be "caught" soon.

The event was incredibly crowded in our perspective. I would compare it to an early morning hours where only hotel guests can come in. Was it as crowded as a regular day in the parks? Absolutely not and if that is what you are looking for then it would be great. However, in my opinion, the event is way more expensive than a normal park day and is only limited to 3 hours. When you have crowds the size of extra magic hours then it just isn't worth it. I can get up and go into an extra magic hours park, for free, everyday of the week and accomplish just as much.

I did see the Tracker video and completely agree that you need to choose what you are going to focus on. I really wanted to ride the rides but the rest of my family decided to wait and watch Maleficent and the stage show. That took a HUGE amount of time away from the rides and, in my opinion, wasn't worth it. I also agree with his comments on the crowds. It was definitely crowded.

I would absolutely not do this again and can't recommend this party to anyone else either. Again, if you have never been to the park with low crowds such as rope drop, you may think this was amazing. For us, the incredibly high price, short amount of time, and high crowds made this a one and done for us.

We did the 10-1 event back in April and I was worried about my 14 DD (even more than my 10 yo DS)! She is almost always asleep by 10 no matter what. Even at sleepovers, she can't make it past 10. I can't believe she made it until 1 at this event lol! She was acting kinda crazy and sleep deprived but she made it and had a great time. So we are giving it another go 7/1. Whatever you decide have fun!

My daughter is the same way! No matter how much fun she's having, she just hits a wall! That's great that your daughter was able to rise to the occasion and make it to the end! Yes, the ones we did were maybe even 8-11? They were January, so definitely earlier, as opposed to the 10-1. But if we do it, we can make an escape plan for her and one of us me or my husband, and then the other (hopefully me) can stay with the night owl 14YO!

But I was just doing my spreadsheet and I noticed the Typhoon Lagoon Glow Night is the same night, so that intrigues me too! And it's earlier, it's like 8-11. That could be fun but it's a short trip, only 4 nights, so if we did that we probably wouldn't have enough MK time for my liking! Either way, it will be fun, I'm sure!

Sorry for the late review but we just got home last night! We attended the Villain event on 6/13.

We arrived around 5:30 pm and entered the park using our annual passes and regular passes (my parents). The park didn't feel as crowded as it normally does in June so that was a good thing. We ate dinner and rode a few rides that we knew that we wanted to ride but didn't want to ride during the event.

Once the event started, as others have reported, there was a wall of cast members everywhere trying to get people out of the park. However, several times I saw people enjoying ice cream that didn't have a band on. I didn't say anything as the cast members seemed to be actively looking and I figured that they would be "caught" soon.

The event was incredibly crowded in our perspective. I would compare it to an early morning hours where only hotel guests can come in. Was it as crowded as a regular day in the parks? Absolutely not and if that is what you are looking for then it would be great. However, in my opinion, the event is way more expensive than a normal park day and is only limited to 3 hours. When you have crowds the size of extra magic hours then it just isn't worth it. I can get up and go into an extra magic hours park, for free, everyday of the week and accomplish just as much.

I did see the Tracker video and completely agree that you need to choose what you are going to focus on. I really wanted to ride the rides but the rest of my family decided to wait and watch Maleficent and the stage show. That took a HUGE amount of time away from the rides and, in my opinion, wasn't worth it. I also agree with his comments on the crowds. It was definitely crowded.

I would absolutely not do this again and can't recommend this party to anyone else either. Again, if you have never been to the park with low crowds such as rope drop, you may think this was amazing. For us, the incredibly high price, short amount of time, and high crowds made this a one and done for us.
I think I’m going to pass on this. I’ve done 2 DAH events, and they’ve been awesome, but I think when they added the villains they also upped the amount of tickets they sell.

My daughter is the same way! No matter how much fun she's having, she just hits a wall! That's great that your daughter was able to rise to the occasion and make it to the end! Yes, the ones we did were maybe even 8-11? They were January, so definitely earlier, as opposed to the 10-1. But if we do it, we can make an escape plan for her and one of us me or my husband, and then the other (hopefully me) can stay with the night owl 14YO!

But I was just doing my spreadsheet and I noticed the Typhoon Lagoon Glow Night is the same night, so that intrigues me too! And it's earlier, it's like 8-11. That could be fun but it's a short trip, only 4 nights, so if we did that we probably wouldn't have enough MK time for my liking! Either way, it will be fun, I'm sure!
The TL event looks fun too! I thought my kids would want that one but chose MK. I agree about the MK quota. You just have to have a certain amount of time there! :cloud9:.
I think any of the events would be fun!

Just purchased my tickets for 7/1, so now we are committed lol! The absence of Olaf bars almost made me change my mind but the kids want to do it again.:rotfl:
I hope it ends up being a good decision. I'm kinda worried based on recent reviews. We are going just for rides and not the shows so I hope that helps us!
We want to try for Skipper Canteen dinner without a reservation around 7 and then watch HEA before the event.
Anyone have recent experience with dinner here without a reservation?

Anyone have recent experience with dinner here without a reservation?

YMMV, but in my experience that place always tends to have reservation times when I’m checking same day.

I haven’t walked up without one, but I’ve made one a few mins before heading that way.

Unsolicited opinion, I really like Skipper Canteen. I’m glad it’s (usually) available!

YMMV, but in my experience that place always tends to have reservation times when I’m checking same day.

I haven’t walked up without one, but I’ve made one a few mins before heading that way.

Unsolicited opinion, I really like Skipper Canteen. I’m glad it’s (usually) available!
Thanks! It's one place we haven't tried yet, but I didn't want to commit to a reservation until day of in case we want to wait a bit longer before heading to MK. I will try looking that day and hopefully, we can snag one 🤞
Glad you like it! It looks awesome and different. Just hope the kiddos can find something they like!

It seems like it's all about perspective. For those that have done an after hours event, and used to zero crowds, this seemed crowded. For those that never did one, it felt like paradise to those.
That’s probably true. If we do it I’ll probably go into it pretending it’s a mini MNSSHP. We probably would be going for the ride overlays and the atmosphere by the castle so I think we would come away enjoying ourselves.

Is there a glow night thread? I’m kind of interested in doing that also but I couldn’t find one

Thanks! It's one place we haven't tried yet, but I didn't want to commit to a reservation until day of in case we want to wait a bit longer before heading to MK. I will try looking that day and hopefully, we can snag one 🤞
Glad you like it! It looks awesome and different. Just hope the kiddos can find something they like!

The kids menu (or anything from the adult menu appealing to children) is ... challenging... for us. This is one of the rare times I pull rank and say we’re eating there, y’all can eat Mickey Bars for dinner later. :-)

I find the menu interesting/different, especially in MK where dining options are kind of limited.

It seems like it's all about perspective. For those that have done an after hours event, and used to zero crowds, this seemed crowded. For those that never did one, it felt like paradise to those.

As I said in our review, it was our first DAH and we did it back to back with PM EMH the night before. We did so much more in the same amount of time at DAH. Other than 7DMT (all night it seems) and Space at the beginning and end of the night, virtually everything else was a walk on or under 5 minutes (usually because of walking through the long queues).

For those trying to time a good time to ride space, try to time it with the first or second castle show. That pulls a ton of people away from rides.

The kids menu (or anything from the adult menu appealing to children) is ... challenging... for us. This is one of the rare times I pull rank and say we’re eating there, y’all can eat Mickey Bars for dinner later. :-)

I find the menu interesting/different, especially in MK where dining options are kind of limited.
Funny enough this is what my plan is for our trip 3 weeks from now for other places. One week alone with my 5 year old as my husband can’t make the trip anymore. So it’ll be our first mommy and son trip, I can give in with sweets (technically, I’m usually the biggest culprit getting sweet snacks on our trips and my husband controls me! Lol now there won’t be a responsible adult) I just hope we don’t get sick! :rotfl:

As I said in our review, it was our first DAH and we did it back to back with PM EMH the night before. We did so much more in the same amount of time at DAH. Other than 7DMT (all night it seems) and Space at the beginning and end of the night, virtually everything else was a walk on or under 5 minutes (usually because of walking through the long queues).

For those trying to time a good time to ride space, try to time it with the first or second castle show. That pulls a ton of people away from rides.

Agreed. We waited to see the final show at 1 so we could get all the rides in. And was the same for us I think 25 minutes was the longest wait (as mentioned in mine as well, 7DMT and SM were the last 2 rides we did). Pirates was busy right at 10, so we walked around and did some other things. By the time we came back to Pirates it was walkon

Attended the 6/20 event and a few observations:

-I've done each of the After Hours events at all the parks multiple times - the Villains event was far and away more crowded than any of the others in my experience. No way of really knowing, but I'd guess double or triple the crowds of those other events. I was glad I did Villains, but it was one-and-done for me (as well as any other "themed" AH events).

-Although the crowds around the park were heavier (more on that in a moment), the ride times mostly weren't bad. The less popular rides were walk-ons or less than 5 minutes. We did BTMRR several times in a row with around a 5 minute wait each time. Even Pirates with the overlay (actors this time were much better than the ones at MNSSHP last fall) was around five minutes. Snack lines were easy and short waits, and well-stocked - Liberty Square and Frontier Land had no waits at all. Saw a few with longer lines (Tomorrow Land comes to mind - but that one always seems to be longer, as well as the ones on the sides of the Hub where much of the crowd was gathered all night).

-Had a rough start to the event - we got in line for Space Mtn at 9:58. AH guests were let into the FP queue. But everyone was completely stopped for around 15 minutes (rumor was the change to the overlay). Many AH guests were leaving the line to exit and not waste time. Finally started moving again - got off the ride at 10:31. Thirty minutes, however, for one ride at the event is just far too long. Rode again later in the evening around midnight - posted 25 minute wait, but it was around 15 (the line snaked around the queue about 4-5 times). Skipped 7DMT around the same time - posted wait was 35 minutes (although best guess it was probably around 20-25min).

-The Maleficent float was almost worth the price of admission alone - very different than the daytime parade and quite an experience. We did that twice.

-Skipped the stage show, as well as the paid snacks. The lines for the latter seemed to be some of the longest and similar to the parties.

-Merchandise was out early - we stopped by the Philharmagic gift shop around 9pm and were allowed into a roped off area to browse and buy with our wristbands (and I did like the new style and upgrade of the bands).

-Waits were short for the magic shots. The lighting around the park was great - especially the graphics around Tomorrow Land. Not quite as good as MNSSHP, but a nice atmosphere.

-Enjoyed the Villains at the end of Main Street - worth stopping and watching for awhile. Although it did highlight how much better this event could have been by dispersing more of them through the park during the event.

-Overall, the event felt more like a lightly attended MNSSHP (with less to do) than an After Hours event - which seemed odd since the ride times mostly weren't that different. The best way to describe it is that it has a party environment - which needs people (and is the opposite of what you're probably looking for in an After Hours event). I've liked the deserted vibe of previous AH events at MK - with a nearly empty hub and long stretches of paths with no one on them. We've felt like we had parts of the park to ourselves. Not at all with this event - it felt like the end of a busy evening (or an EMH) where lots of people were still around but everything was closing up. If someone hasn't done an AH event before, it probably seems fantastic (the park was very busy Thursday when we went in). But if you've experienced the prior AH event at MK, this is nowhere near the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter