Disney 2Q Earnings Rise 27 Percent

Ahhh, so with your logic all movies must make 6-10 times the production cost to start looking at a profit. I guess almost every major movie made today loses money. Seems like they would shut all the theaters down and stop making them.

No just trying to show you that box office receipts are not a direct funnel back to the studio that made the movie. I think very few big budget or even some of the medium size make money through the box office. Profits come from DVD sales and cable reruns years later. That is why Lilo and Stick vI is not going to be released at the Box office....It would cost to much and they would lose money doing it...but they will make money on the current batch of Disney suckers who will run out and buy it on DVD.

As far as what it real takes for a movie to turn a profit...each is different. There are hundereds of hands in that cookie jar and its different for each movie. However AV (again who works in the biz) has stated in the past that a General Rule of thumb is that a movie has to make back 3x its production and advertising cost and that Box office splits are usually around 50-50 with the theaters.( it's not really that simple of a split but the longer a movie is out the closer to that number it beomes)

I think I can understand the distaste some people might have for continuing to focus tons of resources on a division with declining growth prospects and who continues to be at the bottom of the corporate earnings portfolio.

And that's it in a nutshell.

I'm not setting any bars, but Disney has improved ABC's ratings since taking it over.

Are you sure about that? I've tried to find historical ratings by season but so far have come up empty. But everything I remember reading says that network ratings have been falling overall for quite some time.

ABC had been up and down prior to the takeover, and certainly that's been the case since. I don't see anything to indicate that over the long haul its doing any better today than in the past.

I was being sarcastic when I said noooo....:lmao:
Thought that was obvious!!popcorn::

Sarcasm, yes, an admission that trolling is all you're doing, no, I didn't catch that. But now we're all clear, and I'm sure that 70+ hour workweek as an entrepreneur is calling ;) , so we'll catch ya on the flip side.

Sarcasm, yes, an admission that trolling is all you're doing, no, I didn't catch that. But now we're all clear, and I'm sure that 70+ hour workweek as an entrepreneur is calling ;) , so we'll catch ya on the flip side.

Actualy, I am a 18 year old drop out. I do not have a job unless you consider living off Mom's trust fund a job. :thumbsup2 :cool1: :rotfl2: :lmao:

In the interest of full disclosure : I need to correct something from my post yesterday. ABC DOES currently own the ABC Radio Network, but there is a pending sale to Citadel Broadcasting that awaits IRS review before it can close. This would divest ABC of its non-Disney radio properties.

I felt it pertinent to share that given the discussion at hand.

EUROPACL said:
MasterShake said:
I would argue that those numbers do mean something. The more households you reach, the more likely that some of them will be watching.
So what did Disney do to cause this?

Thanks for asking. What Disney (or more accurately ABC + Disney together did), was successfully entice more privately owned stations in markets without ABC representation to affiliate themselves with the ABC network. This increases their 'reach' in terms of households and audience size.

ABC has increased the number of privately-owned local affiliated stations by 33 (rough numbers) since 1995. Some of those were station swaps so the actual net additions is probably more like 20, roughly 1/3 of those since the year 2000. That's a better than 10-12 % increase in affiliates. Not bad for a dying industry.

In fact, all the more impressive given that the payments to affiliates from the network for carrying their programming have been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced and/or eliminated in that same time frame.

Knox,

Enjoyed the historical perspective; interesting read. While network broadcasting may not actually die out, it sounds like you agree it’s not an industry with very attractive fundamentals. But than wasn’t this the conventional wisdom even back when Disney bought ABC? It just got downplayed by a CEO who was drinking the “only mega media conglomerates” will make any money off entertainment in the next millennium koolaid.

Thanks, it's nice to know someone read and enjoyed what I wrote. :)

While the internet existed in 1995, TIVO and its ilk did not. Those are the two biggest threats to network television in my opinion. The internet in 1995 was a joke. Nobody took it seriously - inside or outside the entertainment industry at the time.

I worked at NBC at the time of the CapCities/ABC/Disney deal being announced. Nobody at the peacock network was terribly surprised by this. It had leaked pretty well by the time of the announcement. At that point, everyone at NBC was waiting for either NBC to be sold to a studio or for GE to acquire one. Why?

Well in 1995 the 'holy grail' from a TV standpoint was owning the shows you broadcast so you could profit from the syndication and a little bit from the home video market. The fastest way to do that was to buy a network if you were a studio or to buy a studio if you were a network.

Seems rather simplistic by today's standards. Remember back then, studios weren't selling DVD's (or tapes) of old series with the vigor they are today so that was seen as less lucrative overall for TV. The economics of putting 24 episodes of "24" on VHS didn't make much sense... from packaging to shipping and shelf space, it was very unwieldy... especially for the purchaser since VHS was a very fragile medium in the grand scheme of things. DVD's changed that and made a real on-going revenue stream from these huge libraries of "old TV shows nobody wants to see again." (in the words of one NBC exec who couldn't see the Wilderness Lodge for the trees IMHO)

The internet was something to keep an eye on but hardly a threat at that point. And TIVO was four years away. Network viewership was holding it's own. Seinfeld was done but the NBC domination with FRIENDS and other 'appointment viewing' series was yet to really build.

Personally, watching a 'show' on my PC is about the LAST way I'd choose to do it. Watching any type of long-form entertainment regularly on my PC is not even on my radar.

The "500 channel universe" is probably the largest elephant in the room with the lionshare of blame. More choice for the consumer has fractured the audience into niche pockets. But again - you can look historically at other media and see this same thing develop.

Historically with radio, niches develop, are extremely popular, die away.. then everyone merges up.. the audience returns to familiar 'big name' brands in a consolidation phase and then that breaks down into niches again. You can chart this. It's that regular.

One datapoint to support the well-known niche/consolidation theory for the current TV situation.. is that while network tuning is down slightly.. overall viewership of TV as a medium was at an all time high for the 2005/6 season.

The average American household consumes 8 hours and 14 minutes a day of live TV programming. The ratings for 2005/6 did not take into account DVR viewing so that's removed from that math here.

That tells me obviously that people still want to and will watch TV, just not as much network TV.. and not in the same ways, and not the same programming that they have in the past. (See my note below about the key to survival)

Television is OVERDUE for a massive shake up. Just like Northridge is overdue for a quake. But I don't think the quake will destroy it. Just shake things up in a healthy way.

I honestly do think that network television will figure out a way to remain successful and relevant. The fundamentals, while changing, are still there; however it will take some work (and yes money) to refocus the network in a profitable way.

Another Voice said:
Exactly - most "fans" don't care about Disney any more. They don't care about what Disney used to mean or represent. Disney is just a brand name - an easy mark to say "this stuff is okay to buy". It's a middle class comfort brand that can be slapped on any product, but it means nothing anymore. People are cheering on a corporation irregardless of what's really going on.

Nobody slapped the Disney name on Desparate Housewives. Except you that is.

If your argument is that the other products Disney slaps their name on (Disney Mobile is a good example maybe) .. I'll agree with that. But I thought we were discussing the network television which clearly does NOT have the Disney named directly associated or 'slapped on' to it.

The people who disappeared where the giant motion picture chains and the neighborhood theaters.

Today's equivilant is the broadcast network. A network doesn't provide product - a network is just a distribution system.

With regards to your comments about network television being the equivalent of the local and chain movie theatres. I respectfully dis-agree with your analogy.

The privately owned local affiliates are the small movie theatres and chains that would die under your assumption -- not the mother network itself. The network O&O's (Owned & Operated stations) are by far and away the minority of the 200+ affiliated stations.

The network could simply become the ABC channel on satellite and cable and skip the affiliates all together. Of course, that would mean it was no longer a network. I don't see this scenario as even remotely likely.

The network will remain. The key to survival will be once again discovering what makes for compelling programming that will force people to tune-in, in real-time, vs. TIVO'ing or just watching something else. American Idol is the worst possible example of this. I'm betting that a creative person will develop something that will be equally compelling in a more artistic way.

In television's case, the coming years will represent some very tough times. But if the historical information I've posted previously tells us anything, it is that rewards await those who take bold, but calculated risks in times of duress; risks like the movie studios did in the 70's when they were faced with an audience who didn't seem to want to return to the cinema. The movie studios re-tooled, changed the stars, the quantity and types of movies they greenlighted. Eventually, the audience rediscovered going to movies all over again.

YoHo said:
Iger seems particularly miscast as the CEO capable of transforming the Network Television model.

And we absolutely agree on Iger. I only met the man once and I thought he was 'a small picture guy' who doesn't get the big picture on any level. He's a Warren Littlefield who managed to cling-on, instead of being let go when he should have. Everything I've seen, heard and read since then has only affirmed that in my mind.

But Disney could sell shows on iTunes without owning ABC.
Disney COULD sell shows on iTunes without ABC. Heck, ABC could sell shows on iTunes without broadcasting them. But how is the average viewer going to want them enough to bother purchasing them without being familiar with the title? Not bloody likely to be very successful without some degree of promotion or advertising or even better, broadcast. Say.. on a television network?

Disney must rely on the parks to support this division. It has not cable revenues. It doesn't sell lightbulbs.

Question by cable revenues you mean ... what exactly ? I'm guessing you don't mean the per-sub revenues that all their cable networks generate.

And what division supported the parks when they were floudering in the tourism-crash post 9-11? Do you know? I don't. I'm just asking. Maybe it's in their 10k filings? (ha ha)

So.. does NBC relying on jet engines, MRI machines, fridges and stoves to fund their TV network (and probably their theme parks too) equally chap your bum??

Fortunately with 11 shows in the top 20 and virtually unprecented ratings success, CBS doesn't have to rely on outdoor billboards and their videogame division to run the tiffany network and keep Andy Rooney in paperclips.

:confused3

Knox

By Cable revenues I mean Time/Warner Cable collecting bills for homes that have purchased cable service. They also collect for internet service.

I think the fact that you don't watch your TV on a PC is just being a little behind the curve. Media PCs are the rage right now. Apple's iTV, Media boxes that will sync your networked video and audio library. The iPod video has accelerated the Demand.

What NBC uses to finance network television doesn't "Chap my hide," because nobody has an emotional investment in their lightbulbs or who made the jet engine on the 737 they're taking to Orlando.
People DO have an emotional investment in the Disney parks. I don't know GE's financials either, but they make Disney look like a pipsqueak financially I'm sure.

As for the Parks during the flounders after 9/11
No division supported the Parks. The parks supported themselves and they had their hours trashed and hotels closed, chicken fingers were lost.

During previous tourism slumps, Disney didn't have to do that. During previous slumps, Disney built Epcot. The Parks supported ABC even when 9/11 killed tourism.

That's been talked about on this board many many times.

chicken fingers were lost.

And that's the real tragedy here. Maybe we can organize a telethon. ;)

Seriously thanks for the info - I asked out of genuine interest because I honestly didn't know.

I am however still confused by the Time/Warner comments. They don't own a TV network do they? Do they have their fingers in CW? Does that count?

Disney/ABC does see revenues for their cable properties on a per-sub basis for all cable operators. So what was the basis of this original comment about they have no cable revenues??

I understand the early adopters are doing all the things you mentioned. Heck, I even have a Media Center PC, but I don't find it a pleasureable experience in the least. I am now officially old.

Knox

Thanks for asking. What Disney (or more accurately ABC + Disney together did), was successfully entice more privately owned stations in markets without ABC representation to affiliate themselves with the ABC network. This increases their 'reach' in terms of households and audience size.

ABC has increased the number of privately-owned local affiliated stations by 33 (rough numbers) since 1995. Some of those were station swaps so the actual net additions is probably more like 20, roughly 1/3 of those since the year 2000. That's a better than 10-12 % increase in affiliates. Not bad for a dying industry.

In fact, all the more impressive given that the payments to affiliates from the network for carrying their programming have been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced and/or eliminated in that same time frame.

Sorry but we'll need a bigger picturer if you want us to accept those numbers on blind faith. What are NBC's , CBS's , FOX's new affiliates numbers? How many were in new markets that already had a NBC, CBS or Fox? How many were pure money decesions like those payments to affiliate stations being more in the case of ABC in that area or any at all since you claim that they have been eliminated in some cases? What is industry average for new affliates per year...so far we are looking at 2.5 a year. Are you telling us that Disney didn't lose any stations in that time frame too?

I just don't see where anything has been said or shown where these "new affiliates" went to ABC becauase of the great programming and high quality of TV that ABC has been offering.

Sorry but we'll need a bigger picturer if you want us to accept those numbers on blind faith. What are NBC's , CBS's , FOX's new affiliates numbers? How many were in new markets that already had a NBC, CBS or Fox? How many were pure money decesions like those payments to affiliate stations being more in the case of ABC in that area or any at all since you claim that they have been eliminated in some cases? What is industry average for new affliates per year...so far we are looking at 2.5 a year. Are you telling us that Disney didn't lose any stations in that time frame too?

I just don't see where anything has been said or shown where these "new affiliates" went to ABC becauase of the great programming and high quality of TV that ABC has been offering.

No offence, but what facts and figures have you brought to the discussion? I have heard what your personal feelings are, but I would be more apt to agree with your side if you could provide proof to the fact that Disney's business is suffering based on it's poor desisions/products.

I retract my comments on affiliate numbers. I neglected to look more closely at the lists on Wikipedia's site that indicate markets with "none" indicated. It's a misleading list because the numbers it lists the Neilsen market # not the 'station count' -- I regret the error and I retract that portion of my argument.

The number of affiliates is much closer to what I consider to be static (+/-5) for all three networks. I apologize for the error.

The discrepancy arises because each network lacks affiliates in about 16 markets. For each network, those 15 or 16 'holes' are in different places.

Knox

No offence, but what facts and figures have you brought to the discussion? I have heard what your personal feelings are, but I would be more apt to agree with your side if you could provide proof to the fact that Disney's business is suffering based on it's poor desisions/products.

You've been arguing with some many people here I think you may have me confused.(is there overtime pay for that?) I'm not sure if I ever said business was bad for Disney....other then movie flops. Movie flops have been pretty easy to hid or gloss over due to the Disney faithful and the need for Bambi III (The search for more money). I quite sure that you can make more money when you charge more and spend less. I sure that when you go from 5 chicken fingers to 3 and charge $1.50 more you can make more money. I'm sure that you can make money when whole entire divisions of the company that used to be the bread and butter of the company are let go. I'm sure that if you raise prices every year higher then the rate of inflation there is money to be made. I really don't know how its current zero capital investment in the Flordia parks is effecting Attendance...some guesses have been posted. Its hard to tell really when nobody knows if those numbers are real. My biggest peve is the quality of what is being offered these days compared to better days, some of us (again has been dicused several times here before) have seen a very steady slide away from Disney quality to the current offerings. Its been a chipping away process little by little. Basically the dumbing down of Disney to where I fear that one day we are going to wake up and it Won't be Walt Disney World anymore, maybe "edge fund invistment group land".

I don't just pull these numbers out of my butt you know...

I stand by my numbers of at least 20 new affiliates since Disney bought ABC.

Nobody said you did. Just it helps to have the whole picture. I have no problem seeing ABC adding 20 new stations once Disney bought them. Your right the Disney name alone might have done that (which I agree with). You need to look no futher than the "Value Resorts" then to see that the Disney name carries weight still. If the big picture shows the same sort of numbers for the other networks what does that say about ABC was my point?

I've addmitted I don't watch ABC or much network TV at all...so the whole ABC is doing better this year then last means less to me. I just see ABC as a money drain for the parks.(something I do care about)

I'm going to dig out my Visa application to see if the numbers jive with memory now. I can't believe none of the networks have really added significant affiliates.

Maybe some of this particular portion of my reply did come from a posterior region without me even realizing. ;)

EDIT: Found the Visa application. As of July 1995, NBC was claiming 181 (not 191) affiliates. The net gain for NBC is about 9 affiliates. The net gain for ABC would be about 10 and for CBS the net gain is hard to determine because I truly can't recall the original number. Your point is well taken - ABC merely kept up with the pack in this regard since 1995.

Knox

PS> I want credit for researching and honestly reporting what I found. :)

Canadian guy, I appreciate the research an honesty.

I don't think that ABC necessarily IS a money drain on the parks. But then I don't understand high-corporate finance particularly well.

At any given point in time there is so much money flowing in and flowing out, I'm not really sure that network television is pulling maintenance and upgrades from the parks.

Disney really isn't a zero sum game and they don't pay cash for everything. Losses in one business unit would carry over and have to be negated by future profits in that division.

Yes, basic operating capital has to come from somewhere, but I don't think they just give money from one division to another per se. I would think that would come as an operating loan/debt that would need to be repaid with interest against that division. Where is a good accountant when you need one.

I must stress I don't understand corporate finance and so forth well enough to speculate well in this area. ( I know.. then why did I post? )

Knox

The "500 channel universe" is probably the largest elephant in the room with the lionshare of blame.
The smarest thing I ever heard a Disney suit say came years ago. It was from the head of Disney Studios television production division, now long fired from the compnay.

Basically, he said that no one wants a television set with 500 channels. They want a television set with just one channel - a channel that shows them what they want to watch, when they want to watch it. The moment that techonology arrives, broadcast television is over.

The technology still isn't there yet, but it feels very close. All it really take now is the search and storage capability of the internet married to the easy presentation experience of a television. When studios can beam you the latest episode of a series right to your house, when series can be made on budgets based on payments from veiwers and not ad buyers - the entire business model for networks disappears.

AV:

First off, I agree on the 500 channel thing... that's an argument I heard frequently at NBC back when they were trying to downplay was was looming on the horizon.

Your theory is interesting.. but what's missing.. is how do you develop the 'desire' for the home viewer to pay for or download your series in the first place? That's what the broadcast component has going for it that none of these 'on demand' concepts have a neat answer for...

If you had an on-demand version of a new series similar in scope to Lost or DH or whatever.. How do you let the masses know how great it is? These things develop a nice head of steam thru network broadcasts currently. How do you do that without the broadcasts?

Advertising? Where.. ? Billboards ?

Sure .. you could offer sample clips and so forth on a barker channel .. or even the first four episodes free.. but again .. I don't think that's gonna cut it in the long run.

Knox

But, it's not really working for network TV now. They're losing viewership.

. . . I get such a kick out of the "know it alls"!! . . . They know how to run a billion dollar company . . .

1) Some od us know how to run a 1/2-billion dollar company.
2) And some us do!
3) As for the Disney profit
. . . I am glad they are making more money
. . . I think they should give some more to the CM's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter