Disgruntled members: What are the DVC-specific issues?

Above all, the nickel & diming is exhausting. Not DVC specific, but it permeates the entire time we're there (visited this Feb & Apr).

G+ is not DVC specific, but it kind of is. We bought in thinking we'd get APs and have not-so-frenetic days on vacation. Pre-scheduling 3 Fastpasses a day was awesome. Now we have to pay $60/day to play roulette at 7AM, or get the whole family up earlier to rope drop if we want to do our favorites. Then spend the whole day on our phones. None of that is fun/relaxing. We bought DVC with a certain way of visiting in mind, and we can't do that anymore.

For DVC-specific things, the lack of APs is insane. If I hadn't bought ours when they were available last fall, I'd be selling our points right now. I don't much care if it's officially DVC's fault or not; members need access to APs. But then, TWDC is on record stating their guest mix is more profitable now.

And some might think its minor, but the lack of Top of the World Lounge is maddening. On our first DVC visit my wife and I took in fireworks from up there, and decided we needed more points (which we bought upon returning home). It was such a relaxing place to be. It still hasn't opened, even though it takes minimal manpower to staff it.

We just don't feel like DVC is a priority for the company, and I'd actively caution anybody from jumping in right now.
This is really good feedback, thank you for sharing!

There is certainly a huge demand for studios. However, the new Poly building suggests there’s still demand for larger Villas as well (albeit less than studios). It will be interesting to see how many people stay in one of those “resort” studios once, then decide having a 1 or 2bd for the added space is more appealing.
A large part of our justification for DVC was staying in bigger villas, so I'm with you there. However, Walt Disney World itself has something like 25,000 hotel rooms, filled with guests who are content staying in that size room. Additionally, the VGF Resort Studios appear to be the largest Studios in the program.

We all knew there was some demand for larger villas at Poly. If it ends up being one condo association, the balance will likely be very similar to VGF. The new building looks to have about 200 villas, combined with 360 existing studios.

Disneyland Hotel will reportedly have only 19 one bedroom villas and 20 two bedroom villa out of its ~350 rooms. We could argue that there are differences between WDW and DL. Though the more traditional mix hasn't necessarily hurt occupancy at VGC. And if three studios are roughly equal in size and cost to a single Two Bedroom, DVC has every reason to give owners what they believe will be used. If DVC is building a new resort with only 5% 2BR, they must have pretty valid data for doing that. SoCal locals may want shorter stays in smaller rooms, but there are undoubtedly purchase candidates for DLH who will travel in larger groups just like WDW.

Obviously, your example is an extreme situation, but shoehorning 10 humans into 880 square feet sounds miserable and it’s 30% less space than a 2bd. Even if most of that extra space is kitchen, it’s still space.

Me too, but different strokes for different folks. Families put 4-5 people in far less than 440 sq ft all the time.

I doubt many families of 10 would chose that configuration. (Not many families of 10 even exist.) If you've got a party that spans multiple family groups--One family + grandparents, two separate families (cousins)--two Resort Studios may be preferable to a One Bedroom villa with one family sleeping in the living room and sharing a bathroom. It's also significantly cheaper than a 2BR.

While I have no desire to own at VGF, I would fall squarely into that group of owners who’d likely never stay in a resort studio.
Right now, Deluxe Studios at VGF look better than Resort Studios. But personally (as a VGF owner), I don't see Resort Studios as any massive drop off. I've stayed in OKW and Vero rooms with two queen beds. I've stayed in Studios with one bathroom. I've stayed in DVC studios far smaller than 440 sq ft.

While I may prefer a Deluxe Studio, nothing about the Resort Studio makes me say I'd never stay there.

The question is how many existing “VGF1” owners will jump on the added resort studio availability and free up larger rooms for new owners and if it balances out. With the addition of maybe 10,000 new contracts it will be interesting to see.
Before owning VGF, I stayed there twice on trips booked at 7 months. Looking at what's available now within the home resort priority window, there are few surprises. Rooms are booked up around Thanksgiving, Christmas, WDW Marathon and early December. But the vast majority of that 4-month period still has availability in 1BR and 2BR villas. Even with more points and owners, I don't foresee people having to walk reservations year-round to get what they want.

The most likely outcome is less 1BR and 2BR availability as we get later in the home resort priority period, and far less making it to 7 months.

The most likely outcome is less 1BR and 2BR availability as we get later in the home resort priority period, and far less making it to 7 months.
That is where my thought process ends up as well, and where I think at least some existing VGF1 owners may have some warranted concerns.

Last edited:
That is where my thought process ends up as well, and where I think at least some existing VGF1 owners may have some warranted concerns.
I think that we will see this in the future, not necessarily in the next year or two. They need to sell more points to see a real difference. Once new members realize they can use their points not just with the studios, they will want to switch over and that can affect availability

Sweet!! I’ll go back now. I wonder what I did wrong or had the wrong dates idk. But that does make me feel better. I’m gonna take it easy next year and see how it goes. Christmas though is gonna be the hunger games next year for sure.
Every single night of February 2023 is still available in both Standard and Lake View Two Bedroom at VGF.

I certainly wouldn't "laugh you off the boards" for suggesting VGF will become more competitive. But personally, I think periods of being completely unable to book 1BR and 2BR at 11 months will be few and far between. Demand for Studios is highest, so the expansion is filling that need. It's probably over-compensating a bit, but (IMO) not to the extent that owners will be forced to "walk" one or two bedroom reservations throughout the year.

The ability to book two connecting Resort Studios--which technically sleep up to 10 people--for less than the cost of a two bedroom is a nice bonus for people who won't use the kitchen.

Deluxe studios will definitely be more difficult to obtain.

With the whole VGF1 situation, I do feel bad for the original owners. I bought points in the recent on sale, but I can see how that disadvantages people who want to stay in the grand villa.

I will say that I love the resort studios and that’s where I will likely be staying at least 90% of the time. I love the two queen beds, but that’s just us. The fridge looks a little small, but we are either quick service or granola bar type people, so the trade off is worth it.

The DVC site does ding when a CM is ready to chat with you. I just did a chat and it dinged when I was in another tab indicating availability. This was on a computer and not a mobile device so I suppose it likely varies depending upon device.
I would have to reread through the posts, but someone was saying they don't want to wait for an hour for a CM. I was saying I'd rather have a you are 400 in line and the wait will be 2 hours, you are 100 in line, the wait will be 20 mins. Vs DAS you get into a queue and you have no idea how long and when the CM comes up there is no ding.

I would have to reread through the posts, but someone was saying they don't want to wait for an hour for a CM. I was saying I'd rather have a you are 400 in line and the wait will be 2 hours, you are 100 in line, the wait will be 20 mins. Vs DAS you get into a queue and you have no idea how long and when the CM comes up there is no ding.

The DVC Chat feature does give you a countdown like that once its available. I have never had to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes to get in the que.

The DVC Chat feature does give you a countdown like that once its available. I have never had to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes to get in the que.
Yes, and I wish it was the same with DAS. For various reasons, I did the DAS queue three times, each about 3-4 hours.

I'd much rather have the countdown, than the we are busy but will get to you type message.

Thats been my experience as well - sadly - they can't do everything over chat - but at least for some things its a pretty reasonable alternative.

Thats been my experience as well - sadly - they can't do everything over chat - but at least for some things its a pretty reasonable alternative.
They are getting more abilities. They modified a room today and booked a new one for me. I decided I wanted two connecting resort studios at VGF for the one night next March instead of the 1 bedroom I booked. Was surprised but happy. No wait either!

They are getting more abilities. They modified a room today and booked a new one for me. I decided I wanted two connecting resort studios at VGF for the one night next March instead of the 1 bedroom I booked. Was surprised but happy. No wait either!
Little steps at a time, but looking positive!! Glad you were able to get what you were looking for.

I’ve been doing a lot of my own research and my wife and I are going to be joining before the end of 2022. I just don’t see the doom and gloom a lot of this board and social media heads seems to see. I also haven’t been privileged enough to go yearly at any point in my adult life and I try to take that into consideration when listening to others complaints.

It seems like one of the big issues with people is all the newness and they feel it’s not worth their time or money to do it the way Disney has changed. Which is totally fine and within their rights. But I didn’t have an issue with G+. I’ve never had an issue with getting on my phone or getting LL/FP. So I don’t understand the anger towards having to do these things, but like I said I couldn’t really go from like 96/97 until 2015. Then I haven only been 3 times since 2015.

So take the complainants seriously, but do your own research. There are a lot of us who are willing to join and very excited to spend a week at a “not so great” Disney. Because for us it’s better than anywhere else.

DVC adding VGF2 to the same condo association is my biggest issue. When we bought, I had no idea that DVC could alter the balance of the resort. When I first heard about the addition, I thought it was a good idea until I saw it was all studios. We mostly book 1br's but if we do get a studio, I will most likely book it in the original villas which will probably be harder to get as well.

I’ve been doing a lot of my own research and my wife and I are going to be joining before the end of 2022. I just don’t see the doom and gloom a lot of this board and social media heads seems to see. I also haven’t been privileged enough to go yearly at any point in my adult life and I try to take that into consideration when listening to others complaints.

It seems like one of the big issues with people is all the newness and they feel it’s not worth their time or money to do it the way Disney has changed. Which is totally fine and within their rights. But I didn’t have an issue with G+. I’ve never had an issue with getting on my phone or getting LL/FP. So I don’t understand the anger towards having to do these things, but like I said I couldn’t really go from like 96/97 until 2015. Then I haven only been 3 times since 2015.

So take the complainants seriously, but do your own research. There are a lot of us who are willing to join and very excited to spend a week at a “not so great” Disney. Because for us it’s better than anywhere else.
Looking forward to "welcoming you home" - we joined in December of 2021 and added several resale contracts since - best wishes on your future purchase.

I understand the concern for GFV 1/2 and booking. But I think those on here have far more points than newer buyers (often since we purchased at much lower prices). Given the buy-in cost and how many points are required, I think most newer members would LOVE larger accommodations but often stretch their points. To me, it is why the demand for studios are so high. We LOVE 1BRs but are happy to stay in a studio when are trying to maximize points. If I were to guess, it is probably older (not in age) members who book larger rooms as they have far many more points.

I understand the concern for GFV 1/2 and booking. But I think those on here have far more points than newer buyers (often since we purchased at much lower prices). Given the buy-in cost and how many points are required, I think most newer members would LOVE larger accommodations but often stretch their points. To me, it is why the demand for studios are so high. We LOVE 1BRs but are happy to stay in a studio when are trying to maximize points. If I were to guess, it is probably older (not in age) members who book larger rooms as they have far many more points.
Very true on the rooms. 150 points is around 35-40k right now. So newer members are definitely buying in at the minimum and looking to add later.

2006 here. The loss of valet parking and being put in the worst rooms vs people paying cash. Marriott prioritizes property owners, MVCI owners, Trades, the masses. Now I just assume I will get the worst room and do not worry. My husband is still bitter about the loss of valet :-)
Members are put in the worst rooms? That’s the first I’ve heard that. I typically give Member Services 5 or 6 room numbers and almost always get one. I was at Riviera earlier this month, got a great room, 8844, view of lake and Skyliner. I almost always get a park view at VGC.
I’m just annoyed the ticket prices keep going up up up. And no more AP’s…

At least I locked in my hotel prices. I’m being told BWV and BLT studios are going for $650/night now direct from Disney. Ouch.
My Riviera preferred studio April 2 to 8 was $919 to $973 rack rate incl tax per night.

facebook twitter