Discovery Cove with a runDisney event

sandam1

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has experience doing Discovery Cove in conjunction with a running weekend. My friend and I are registered to do the 5K (both of us) and the half marathon (just me) at the Disney marathon weekend. The trip budget was set, but I recently come into a bit of "extra" money and have been playing with adding a Discovery Cove day. Looking at the calendar, it would either be Friday (the day between the two events) or Sunday. Right now, I'm leaning towards Friday as it would be a relaxing day and likely to keep me off my feet more than being in the parks.

I'm interested in other people's experiences/thoughts/suggestions.

P.S. We will be staying at a Universal Orlando hotel and primarily doing the UO parks. We will also have a rental car.

We did Discovery cove one time but not in conjunction with a run. So, if you don't do DC on Friday does that mean you would be in one of the UO parks? While I agree it was less physically strenuous that a normal theme park day, still not sure I'd want to invest that much time out in a park the day before the race (unless you feel very confident about the half race and don't need a lot of pre-race resting). While I did spend a lot of time relaxing at Discovery cove, I was still on a feet and legs a fair amount of time plus swimming which can be deceptively strenuous. So, just if I were choosing for myself, I'd probably go on Sunday instead. But, if the choice is to do Discovery Cover OR a UO park on Friday then, I'd pick DC.

We did Discovery cove one time but not in conjunction with a run. So, if you don't do DC on Friday does that mean you would be in one of the UO parks? While I agree it was less physically strenuous that a normal theme park day, still not sure I'd want to invest that much time out in a park the day before the race (unless you feel very confident about the half race and don't need a lot of pre-race resting). While I did spend a lot of time relaxing at Discovery cove, I was still on a feet and legs a fair amount of time plus swimming which can be deceptively strenuous. So, just if I were choosing for myself, I'd probably go on Sunday instead. But, if the choice is to do Discovery Cover OR a UO park on Friday then, I'd pick DC.

Yes, the plan is if we don't do Discovery Cove, we will probably be at Universal. However, we are UO passholders and will be at UO for a total of 5 days so we definitely don't plan on spending the entire day at the parks. In fact, the decision to do Universal rather than Disney for this trip was made so that we don't burn ourselves (or me particularly) out before the races. So Sunday does make a bit more sense from that perspective. I'm just a little worried about being tired and sore from the half (which is my first ever) and being unable to thoroughly enjoy DC.

Yes, the plan is if we don't do Discovery Cove, we will probably be at Universal. However, we are UO passholders and will be at UO for a total of 5 days so we definitely don't plan on spending the entire day at the parks. In fact, the decision to do Universal rather than Disney for this trip was made so that we don't burn ourselves (or me particularly) out before the races. So Sunday does make a bit more sense from that perspective. I'm just a little worried about being tired and sore from the half (which is my first ever) and being unable to thoroughly enjoy DC.

Well, that also makes sense, but the soreness you have after the race is actually helped by activity, so while it can hurt, in the long run continuing to move (and actually swimming would be a great way to do that) will help you feel better faster.

I love Discovery Cove! But I have not found it "relaxing" in the slightest. It is exhausting! It's a full day outdoors (often in the sun), swimming and walking around. I suppose if you sit in a lounge chair that might be relaxing, but I've never spent any time in a lounge chair at Discovery Cove. There's too much to do and see, I never want to waste time lying around. (Also I grew up an intense competitive swimmer, so swimming is way easier than running to me... and STILL a day at Discovery Cove is exhausting.)

I personally can't imagine doing a half marathon the day after Discovery Cove... whereas I have definitely done a half marathon the day after spending some slower-paced time in the theme parks. If it were me I would do Discovery Cove on Sunday after the race.

Also - I think swimming after the race will feel really good on tired legs!

Last edited:
We do Discovery Cove with a cabana. Very relaxing day if you limit yourself a bit. Don't do all of the extras - just the dolphin swim and the free stuff and you are golden.

We did Discovery Cove, no dolphin swim, the day after Star Wars Half last year and it was AWESOME. :yoda::ewok: Didn't have kids to chase around, so just lounged in the lazy river over and over and over and over again lol Also did a little swimming with the fish in grand reef, but mostly just floated around and soaked our tired legs...and drank some, of course :flower:
Got showered there at end of the day, stayed until the bitter end, and then drove to the airport for flight home...considering doing same concept at Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach next time for Star Wars 2019 just because it's cheaper, but the pull to Discovery Cove is real...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter