Discovery cove up charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

gratefulfred

DIS Veteran
Sad to see that discovery cove is now trying to up charge the flamingos. My daughter got to interact with them and talk and ask questions with the handlers in September and it was included in the price, now it’s not. What happened to this place being all inclusive? They should reduce the admission price by $60 if they are going to do this.

So your daughter got an extra add-on experience for free when the parks were desperate for attendance, but now think that the ticket price should be reduced because it is not an included experience? They have never advertised flamingos as part of the general admission, as far as I know. It was a bonus. Of course they can charge for the experience; it was a nice perk they chose to offer it free in Sept. (Actually, I don't recall seeing the flamingos on their website at all previously, nor at the park but it was back in 2018 when I was there).

They have flamingoes? Was just there last week and don't remember seeing them at all.

So your daughter got an extra add-on experience for free when the parks were desperate for attendance, but now think that the ticket price should be reduced because it is not an included experience? They have never advertised flamingos as part of the general admission, as far as I know. It was a bonus. Of course they can charge for the experience; it was a nice perk they chose to offer it free in Sept. (Actually, I don't recall seeing the flamingos on their website at all previously, nor at the park but it was back in 2018 when I was there).
No as far as I know they’ve always been out at park opening (only opening) and were included in the price, we knew about it that’s why we found them. Been waiting since 2012 to take her, so I don’t think it was anything new. Up charging is what’s new

No as far as I know they’ve always been out at park opening (only opening) and were included in the price, we knew about it that’s why we found them. Been waiting since 2012 to take her, so I don’t think it was anything new. Up charging is what’s new

We also went in 2017 and don't recall seeing flamingoes in the park at all (we were there at park open on that trip too). It certainly wasn't advertised in 2017 as part of the included park experience, otherwise we would have made a point to check them out.

We have been 8 times since 2012 and the flamingos are not, and never were, part of the advertised all-inclusive experience. If your daughter had the chance to interact with them earlier this year, that was a happy bonus and a little bit of vacation pixie dust.

Upgrades are available for various experiences and extras, as they always have been. Things like Ray feeding, Sea Venture, a more expansive drink menu, etc.

The only thing that has been "taken away" in recent years is the free 6 x 8 arrival photo that they used to offer.

As to your comment about reducing their admission price, we paid $112 per person in October.....and that included breakfast, lunch, snacks, alcohol, parking, and all the customary park attractions. How much cheaper do you think it should be, given all the perks that ARE included?? If a WHOLE DAY is worth $112, is a chance interaction with an animal (even something as cool as flamingos) really worth a $60 per person reduction? Your math logic doesn't add up (pardon the pun).

We have been 8 times since 2012 and the flamingos are not, and never were, part of the advertised all-inclusive experience. If your daughter had the chance to interact with them earlier this year, that was a happy bonus and a little bit of vacation pixie dust.

Upgrades are available for various experiences and extras, as they always have been. Things like Ray feeding, Sea Venture, a more expansive drink menu, etc.

The only thing that has been "taken away" in recent years is the free 6 x 8 arrival photo that they used to offer.

As to your comment about reducing their admission price, we paid $112 per person in October.....and that included breakfast, lunch, snacks, alcohol, parking, and all the customary park attractions. How much cheaper do you think it should be, given all the perks that ARE included?? If a WHOLE DAY is worth $112, is a chance interaction with an animal (even something as cool as flamingos) really worth a $60 per person reduction? Your math logic doesn't add up (pardon the pun).
I was also there once before, but didn’t mention it because it was so long ago and it was only once, September 8th 2001 Got to interact with the flamingos that morning too so I have no reason to believe this hasn’t been part of the experience the whole time.Your $112 price was because of COVID and not at all their standard pricing. Also the ray feeding was not an up charge in 2001 they were in their own separate pool near the river and sea venture didn’t exist, so that’s not how it’s always been. I expect things to change over the years. Just wanted express how disappointed I am that something I just did that was included in the price (weather advertised or not) is now an additional charge

Attachments

• 041639CC-2F78-4F9D-9F43-3296C0B984D7.jpeg
    041639CC-2F78-4F9D-9F43-3296C0B984D7.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I was also there once before, but didn’t mention it because it was so long ago and it was only once, September 8th 2001 Got to interact with the flamingos that morning too so I have no reason to believe this hasn’t been part of the experience the whole time.

I expect things to change over the years.

Doesn't sound like you expected change to me. A 19 year span is a LONG time. You really weren't expecting some major differences after almost 2 decades??

Did you check out the website prior to your current visit? Perhaps email or call to find out if the flamingos (since they are not mentioned as a park feature) was a guaranteed interaction without the add-on experience?

I can tell you that we visited Hollywood Studios in October for the first time since 2009. I expected major changes since that last visit. And I did my research before we went so I knew exactly what I was getting.

Several years ago, on one of our Discovery Cove visits, they had an animal care staff member in the check-in area holding a sloth. Guests who were arriving for their all-inclusive day got to meet the sloth, pet her, take pictures, etc. It wasn't at all promised as part of the DC experience, but just a happy bonus on that particular day. Just because it happened that one time didn't mean that was a guaranteed interaction on every visit.....and we've never expected it to be. You got lucky (blessed? pixie dusted?) with the flamingos. You should be counting your blessings rather than complaining about what they've "taken away" .

Your $112 price was because of COVID and not at all their standard pricing.

Discovery Cove runs promotions ALL the time. In 2012, we snagged day resort admission for $69 per person. In 2018 (? I think) we were able to get the day resort admission for $89 (I can give you exact dates if you really want to quibble, as I keep a record of what we spend on every trip and add it to our photo books.....it's fun to look back, 20 vacations later, and see how prices have changed over the years). So $112 each is actually "expensive" in my opinion.

Also the ray feeding was not an up charge in 2001 they were in their own separate pool near the river and sea venture didn’t exist, so that’s not how it’s always been.

FEEDING the rays is not included, nor has it ever been. Snorkeling with the rays is what you are referring to, and yes has always been part of the DC experience. FEEDING the rays is a new add-on animal experience that can be purchased....or not.....at each family's discretion.

Just wanted express how disappointed I am that something I just did that was included in the price (weather advertised or not) is now an additional charge

If it's not advertised as a park feature, it's not "included in the price".

Snorkeling with the rays is referenced on the website as an attraction/included experience, and should be expected by all guests.

Same goes for access to the lazy river, feeding the birds in the aviary, seeing the marmosets and the Asian otters in the Freshwater Oasis, breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks, etc. etc. The things you can expect are very clearly laid out here:

All-inclusive Experiences - Swim with Dolphins | Discovery Cove

Your disappointment is in expecting something special that was not promised to you in the first place.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like you expected change to me. A 19 year span is a LONG time. You really weren't expecting some major differences after almost 2 decades??

Did you check out the website prior to your current visit? Perhaps email or call to find out if the flamingos (since they are not mentioned as a park feature) was a guaranteed interaction without the add-on experience?

I can tell you that we visited Hollywood Studios in October for the first time since 2009. I expected major changes since that last visit. And I did my research before we went so I knew exactly what I was getting.

Several years ago, on one of our Discovery Cove visits, they had an animal care staff member in the check-in area holding a sloth. Guests who were arriving for their all-inclusive day got to meet the sloth, pet her, take pictures, etc. It wasn't at all promised as part of the DC experience, but just a happy bonus on that particular day. Just because it happened that one time didn't mean that was a guaranteed interaction on every visit.....and we've never expected it to be. You got lucky (blessed? pixie dusted?) with the flamingos. You should be counting your blessings rather than complaining about what they've "taken away" .

Discovery Cove runs promotions ALL the time. In 2012, we snagged day resort admission for $69 per person. In 2018 (? I think) we were able to get the day resort admission for $89 (I can give you exact dates if you really want to quibble, as I keep a record of what we spend on every trip and add it to our photo books.....it's fun to look back, 20 vacations later, and see how prices have changed over the years). So $112 each is actually "expensive" in my opinion.

FEEDING the rays is not included, nor has it ever been. Snorkeling with the rays is what you are referring to, and yes has always been part of the DC experience. FEEDING the rays is a new add-on animal experience that can be purchased....or not.....at each family's discretion.

If it's not advertised as a park feature, it's not "included in the price".

Snorkeling with the rays is referenced on the website as an attraction/included experience, and should be expected by all guests.

Same goes for access to the lazy river, feeding the birds in the aviary, seeing the marmosets and the Asian otters in the Freshwater Oasis, breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks, etc. etc. The things you can expect are very clearly laid out here:

All-inclusive Experiences - Swim with Dolphins | Discovery Cove

Your disappointment is in expecting something special that was not promised to you in the first place.
We got the sloth too on our first visit and he wasn’t there in September. The sting ray feeding was included you just had to come back to the sting ray lagoon at the correct time (it was posted right there), I would remember if I paid for it. The sting ray lagoon was only knee deep, you couldn’t really snorkel in it. The snorkeling reef was a separate pool. I do plenty of research but I don’t only look at the website, I read other people’s experiences so I know what to expect. I don’t consider something they do most days to be pixie dust (besides the fact this isn’t Disney). Gotta say though $69-$89 wow that’s a great price!

Last edited:
We got the sloth too on our first visit and he wasn’t there in September. The sting ray feeding was included you just had to come back to the sting ray lagoon at the correct time (it was posted right there), I would remember if I paid for it. The sting ray lagoon was only knee deep, you couldn’t really snorkel in it. The snorkeling reef was a separate pool. I do plenty of research but I don’t only look at the website, I read other people’s experiences so I know what to expect. I don’t consider something they do most days to be pixie dust (besides the fact this isn’t Disney). Gotta say though $69-$89 wow that’s a great price!

Perhaps you may want to rely on the information listed on the attraction's website versus second hand reports. The experiences relayed by other guests may not be customary (at best) or be erroneous or biased (at worst). Relying on published information from the company itself will lead to far less disappointment on your part, and quite honestly, it's much more fair to a business to judge them on what they officially pledge to offer versus what someone else may have received in a spontaneous good-will gesture that was neither promised nor guaranteed.

Seriously, I feel for theme park employees when I read threads like this. A few good folks go above and beyond the call of duty for a guest, and it ends up biting the company they work so hard for in the butt with the "Oh, I'm soooooo disappointed" smack-talking when it doesn't happen a second (or third, or ???) time. It has to be unbelievably discouraging when TM's read those posts. I know for a fact there are a few TM's on this board, so let me go on record as saying we guests all don't have that same attitude.

You can split hairs all you want about "pixie dust" versus any other term that can be used for a small moment of magic. Call it what you want, I really don't care. It's all the same: an extra. Not guaranteed. Again I repeat, flamingo interaction hasn't been an attraction or feature that has been listed on the website under their description of the all-inclusive day, so you shouldn't expect it unless you pay for it.

Perhaps you may want to rely on the information listed on the attraction's website versus second hand reports. The experiences relayed by other guests may not be customary (at best) or be erroneous or biased (at worst). Relying on published information from the company itself will lead to far less disappointment on your part, and quite honestly, it's much more fair to a business to judge them on what they officially pledge to offer versus what someone else may have received in a spontaneous good-will gesture that was neither promised nor guaranteed.

Seriously, I feel for theme park employees when I read threads like this. A few good folks go above and beyond the call of duty for a guest, and it ends up biting the company they work so hard for in the butt with the "Oh, I'm soooooo disappointed" smack-talking when it doesn't happen a second (or third, or ???) time. It has to be unbelievably discouraging when TM's read those posts. I know for a fact there are a few TM's on this board, so let me go on record as saying we guests all don't have that same attitude.

You can split hairs all you want about "pixie dust" versus any other term that can be used for a small moment of magic. Call it what you want, I really don't care. It's all the same: an extra. Not guaranteed. Again I repeat, flamingo interaction hasn't been an attraction or feature that has been listed on the website under their description of the all-inclusive day, so you shouldn't expect it unless you pay for it.
You feel for park employees when they read a thread like this. That has to be a joke, feel for them because they work for sea world, the most vilified theme park chain in the world. Activists and peta have been trying to shut them down for years. I’m sure those employees have to pass in person protesters sometimes on they’re way into work. Feel bad for them having to deal with that, I’m just giving an opinion on their choice to charge for the flamingos instead of offering it in their all inclusive price. It’s only an opinion

Not a joke at all. Its bad enough they have to deal with PETA-supporting nut cases and fear for the future of their jobs. I think it's worse, though, that they have to deal with spoiled entitlement from guests, because those folks become part of their day to day struggles (versus just a part of their commute) and have to be dealt with face to face, one on one.

And sadly, I think the Entitled are more prevalent than the PETA supporters.

You are most welcome to your opinion on the upcharge. I am also allowed to have my own opinion, which is that NO ONE should expect a specific interaction that is not listed (nor has ever been) as part of the all inclusive day.

You feel for park employees when they read a thread like this. That has to be a joke, feel for them because they work for sea world, the most vilified theme park chain in the world. Activists and peta have been trying to shut them down for years. I’m sure those employees have to pass in person protesters sometimes on they’re way into work. Feel bad for them having to deal with that, I’m just giving an opinion on their choice to charge for the flamingos instead of offering it in their all inclusive price. It’s only an opinion

I don't think SW is vilified, especially with all the good that they do for animals (anyone that protests them is a moron)

Sea World is a great park.

Their website is updated whenever changes are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter