Disappointed in Member Relations

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
A few years ago I contacted Member Relations with an issue with the mini-fridge in the Deluxe Studios. The issue was the elimination of the freezer section, which is vital to me as I bring most of my own food due to religious dietary requirements.
I was contacted by Joy Payne, and told that my need would be accommodated. And after that, it was. Until this past September.
Three weeks ago I wrote to Member Relations about this matter, as I am returning to WDW in December for two weeks..
I never received a reply. This is the first time in my 13 years of DVC that I have not received a response to an inquiry.
Before I get flamed, let me add that I don't believe that I'm "entitled" to special treatment. But some response would seem to be the right thing to do.

I would email or contact them again. It is unusual not to get reply at all and you just wonder if it somehow never made it to the right people.

I usually give things 10 days and send another one if I haven’t heard. That has only happened once.

You could also try Chat on the member website. Then you’ll know immediately that your request was received and noted. I agree that your email may have gone astray — I usually get an automated reply that my email was received, followed some time later (hours or days) by the actual response.

Be a squeaky wheel. I don't see why they won't swap it out. You'd be amazed at the attitude adjustment with the *new/old Bob* back LOL! Try again and try chatting as OP's have mentioned. Be persistent.

Oh, you are not being *entitled*!

I think the issue is , no fridge anymore, only 'coolers'. If resorts has no mini fridges, they don't have anything to bring to you.

Others have put ice in cooler to bring down temp.
You may find a 1br with a full fridge may be what to book in the future.

I would encourage you to try again- chat and call directly. Medication needs are important. You still have some time.
For myself, I really dislike the beverage cooler- not the stated product when we bought in years back. Feels like another step toward just a "hotel room".

They often do have fridges instead of beverage coolers, but in limited quantities. So if they've already been handed out/requested, you can be SoL. There may simply not be one available.

I think the issue is , no fridge anymore, only 'coolers'. If resorts has no mini fridges, they don't have anything to bring to you.

I usually am alone at WDW, so a 1 BR is a LOT more points, especially when a Deluxe Studio had always been perfect for my needs.

As per suggestions above, I did a "chat." This is what I was told, if this information helps anybody else:
The Studios are switching over to mini fridges without freezers or beverage coolers. The fridges with freezers are being phased out. They may still be available depending on the resort, but may not be for much longer. To get a freezer, you would want to stay in a one bedroom villa as they have full kitchens with a full refrigerator with aa freezer.
The CM did put in my request for my stay beginning next week, a split stay, at OKW and Kidani Village.

As per suggestions above, I did a "chat." This is what I was told, if this information helps anybody else:
The Studios are switching over to mini fridges without freezers or beverage coolers. The fridges with freezers are being phased out. They may still be available depending on the resort, but may not be for much longer. To get a freezer, you would want to stay in a one bedroom villa as they have full kitchens with a full refrigerator with aa freezer.
The CM did put in my request for my stay beginning next week, a split stay, at OKW and Kidani Village.
I'm glad you have a response, at least, and I'm sorry they're phasing out the fridges with freezers in the studios. I know that for many people they're more than just a convenience.

Actually, what I used to do was turn down the thermostat in the fridge, and push the food against the back coils. That usually kept the food frozen.
BUT then in 2019 I stayed in Copper Creek, and the knob had been removed from the mini-fridge! Coincidentally, a tech guy came to my room to change a light bulb right after I checked in. I mentioned the missing knob. He told me they're removing the knobs because people turn them down, and the next guest complains about frozen food. I think this is nonsense, as housekeeping could turn up the temperature or turn off the unit when they did the room prep. But he did bring me a knob.
He also told me that in full sized refrigerators they were told to drill and insert screws so people can't turn down the temperature!
A few years ago I stayed in the Wyndham Grand in Bonnet Creek (the hotel, not the timeshare portion). There was a mini (micro?)-fridge in the room that barely kept my food cool, let alone cold. I hope that is not where DVC is heading.

Separate question what food do you have that has to remain frozen? I personally wouldnt worry about it and just let it thaw in the fridge and change microwave time to adjust.

If it couldn't be left in the fridge all week I would simply create a 2nd order in the middle of the week. I am surprised they got you an actual freezer to start with honestly.

When was the last time you have been there? Did you call them? How did you try contacting them just the webform?
The last time I was at WDW was mid-September. I stayed at Boulder Ridge. I went to the front desk and explained I was told that I would always get the freezer section. I was told they have "maybe" one left, and see if it was available. It was.
Before DIS, I sent an email to Member Relations November 3.

Separate question what food do you have that has to remain frozen? I personally wouldnt worry about it and just let it thaw in the fridge and change microwave time to adjust.

If it couldn't be left in the fridge all week I would simply create a 2nd order in the middle of the week. I am surprised they got you an actual freezer to start with honestly.
I bring food from home due to religious dietary restrictions, i.e., kosher. Maybe I should have been more precise in mentioning that I bring the food from home, as it is not readily available in the area. This is food for dinner; milk, orange juice, cereal, peanut butter, etc. can be locally sourced.

To keep things really cold, I know that we have used ice buckets in the past. Put the item at the bottom of the ice bucket. Put the little plastic bag inside, fill that with ice. When that melts overnight, re-fill as necessary.

Good luck getting a fridge with freezer.

To keep things really cold, I know that we have used ice buckets in the past. Put the item at the bottom of the ice bucket. Put the little plastic bag inside, fill that with ice. When that melts overnight, re-fill as necessary.

Good luck getting a fridge with freezer.
I have done that at hotels and motels. But the reason I bought DVC is for the luxury experience they advertise, not to have to drag in buckets of ice.
Thank you for the good wishes.

I bring food from home due to religious dietary restrictions, i.e., kosher. Maybe I should have been more precise in mentioning that I bring the food from home, as it is not readily available in the area. This is food for dinner; milk, orange juice, cereal, peanut butter, etc. can be locally sourced.

Understood but what needs to be frozen? Nothing listed in your list needs to be frozen.

Having something thawed and not cooking it right away does that make it no longer kosher? Sorry if this is a dumb question I dont have a clue.

I only bring it up as DVC seems keen on removing those old style of fridges from the resorts as time passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter