DIS writers - a place for us.

Its been six weeks since I turned in my last ms... hoping to hear back soon. Should be any day (Week) now! crossing my fingers for good news. I could use some good news these days.

My fingers are crossed for you, and for all the other hardworking writers on this thread!

I agree there are just so many books out there now. I wish it wasn't. I think a teen has been transformed into every creature except the blob.

Now, THERE'S an idea!! :) It is so true, it's getting harder and harder to stand out these days. Even just writing a good book isn't enough anymore. You have to write a good book AND be a rock star or a model or a famous TV actress.

Thank you so much for the great advice, and for giving such a complete answer! A college writing program would be lucky to have you as a professor.

I do have a contemporary novel that I sent out only once, directly to a publisher. They kept it for a year before returning it. It was an odd situation, and I ended up shelving the book for far, far too long. Then I got caught up in other things and moved away from writing fiction. :mad: So I recently had a talk with myself about focusing on the things I love. I need to revise this novel so I can get it out of my head and then start a new one. I guess I was still working on it in the back of my head because I finally feel like I know how to proceed.

Thank you so much for that! I was asked to speak at a university a couple of months from now and I'm so nervous because they didn't accept me when I applied for undergrad! :)

I am so glad you are moving ahead! It is unfortunate that you only submitted it to one publisher and then ended up shelving it... did they tell you why it was rejected? The slush pile is harder than ever these days. I really recommend networking. I met my critique partner through my blog and after a few months, she introduced me to her agent, who became my agent. Keep yourself open to other writers, via facebook, twitter, etc... comment on them, offer to critique their work....you never know when one of your contacts will lead to an opportunity. Are you aware of YALITCHAT? http://yalitchat.ning.com/

Thank you so much for that! I was asked to speak at a university a couple of months from now and I'm so nervous because they didn't accept me when I applied for undergrad! :)

I am so glad you are moving ahead! It is unfortunate that you only submitted it to one publisher and then ended up shelving it... did they tell you why it was rejected? The slush pile is harder than ever these days. I really recommend networking. I met my critique partner through my blog and after a few months, she introduced me to her agent, who became my agent. Keep yourself open to other writers, via facebook, twitter, etc... comment on them, offer to critique their work....you never know when one of your contacts will lead to an opportunity. Are you aware of YALITCHAT? http://yalitchat.ning.com/

Thanks so much for the link! That site looks like an wonderful resource.

I know you have a while until it takes place, but good luck with your speaking engagement! You'll do a great job!

You have to pick one or the other. I would suggest sending it out to some publishers, and seeing what they have to say about it. If you don't get any bites, then i would look into self pubbing, because once its "out there" you can't change your mind. A pub *might* look into it, but most of the time they won't, but I would ask this question on one of the forums and see what they have to say.

Oh, links: (these do not contain any buy links, just fyi)

twitter: M_MacKinnon (search my friends for authors, 99% of them are)
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MelissaMacKinnon602
website: (through intuit, really cheap!) www.melissamackinnon.com
blog: (free through wordpress) www.melissamackinnon.wordpress.com

You can set up all these for free (except the website, that costs $6 a month) and start getting yourself out there.

Melissa, Thank you for posting this. I took your advice and have created a website and a Facebook presence for my work. Just being able to have a place to receive feedback on my current and future projects, is so gratifying. I'm not sure if I'll ever get published, but I'm having fun just sharing my work! I have started a blog as part of my website.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peggy-Kellogg-Author-and-Imagination-Enabler/193916654039353

Hi everyone! Mind if I join in?

I'm actually a high school math teacher. I do some freelance writing on the side, mostly over summers.

During the years I was home with my kids I did a LOT of math writing-- test questions, and work with a couple of education websites.

I've also had a couple of articles publishes: one or two on parenting, and 3 or 4 on education.

I am not sure but I think I got on a list in germany and all I can say is:

Achtung, I got to get on more of these lists!!

Hi, Alice! I am new here too but I wanted to say welcome! I am always amazed at those people who are both left and right brained. Math and writing? Wow! Math is a big question mark for me.

Hooray Cogswell! That's a big deal. Germany seems to be really into the American literary scene... I know they bought foreign rights to my books (my first book just came out there this month!) and a lot of my friends'.... so definitely a good place to get noticed!

Hey, all, I just wanted to pass on some information I learned recently.

I was in the process of redesigning my website and waiting for my web-designer to call me to start working on it. One thing I really can't stand about my website was always having to wait to fit into her schedule. Even though most of my site was on Wordpress, so I could revise it myself, she'd created a lot of widgets and designs to make it look professional, so I really wanted to stay with her.

As I complained, one of my writer friends asked me why I was going to spend money to do something I could easily do myself. When I told her I wanted professional, she pointed me to her website, that she did on her own, on Blogger. Well, it's beautiful! And FREE! All she pays for is her domain name, which can be easily linked to the blogger site.

If you don't think a free, self-made website can look professional, take a look at this one: www.lisaschroederbooks.com (this is not mine, btw, just one I found on blogger)

I spent a couple days switching my infomation over, and it's all done! It was easy, easy, easy. And the great thing is, any time I need to make a change, or if I want to add a new page, I can do it, without waiting for a web designer to call me back.

I know Melissa and a couple others mentioned this, but I just wanted to pass on that you can do it EASY, and for FREE. Even if you are not published yet, I really feel like having a website is HUGELY important. I have quite a few agent-friends who tell me that the second they get a query that piques their interest, they head over to google. I know that as a struggling writer, you don't want to put a lot of money or time into something that's not paying you back, and this is the perfect way to do it...

What do you post on it? Excerpts of your work, information on work in progress, a blog about your writing life (do not go on and on about your query failures, though... stay professional)...A good website will show editors and agents that you are savvy about the business and serious about getting published.

Anyway, just FYI!

I was in the process of redesigning my website and waiting for my web-designer to call me to start working on it. One thing I really can't stand about my website was always having to wait to fit into her schedule. Even though most of my site was on Wordpress, so I could revise it myself, she'd created a lot of widgets and designs to make it look professional, so I really wanted to stay with her.

As I complained, one of my writer friends asked me why I was going to spend money to do something I could easily do myself. When I told her I wanted professional, she pointed me to her website, that she did on her own, on Blogger. Well, it's beautiful! And FREE! All she pays for is her domain name, which can be easily linked to the blogger site.

If you don't think a free, self-made website can look professional, take a look at this one: www.lisaschroederbooks.com (this is not mine, btw, just one I found on blogger)

I spent a couple days switching my infomation over, and it's all done! It was easy, easy, easy. And the great thing is, any time I need to make a change, or if I want to add a new page, I can do it, without waiting for a web designer to call me back.

I know Melissa and a couple others mentioned this, but I just wanted to pass on that you can do it EASY, and for FREE. Even if you are not published yet, I really feel like having a website is HUGELY important. I have quite a few agent-friends who tell me that the second they get a query that piques their interest, they head over to google. I know that as a struggling writer, you don't want to put a lot of money or time into something that's not paying you back, and this is the perfect way to do it...

What do you post on it? Excerpts of your work, information on work in progress, a blog about your writing life (do not go on and on about your query failures, though... stay professional)...A good website will show editors and agents that you are savvy about the business and serious about getting published.

Anyway, just FYI!

Yep. :) I do all my own work, my blog and my website. I use wordpress. (I'm also friends with Lisa Schroeder on facebook. ;))

I received some exciting news today. My stories did not make it to the second round of the MeeGenius Author Challenge, but they still want to publish one of them! Yes!

The will contact me in April to begin the editing process and pair me with an illustrator.

I'm very excited. I really want to see my work illustrated!

I received some exciting news today. My stories did not make it to the second round of the MeeGenius Author Challenge, but they still want to publish one of them! Yes!

The will contact me in April to begin the editing process and pair me with an illustrator.

Very happy for you. Do they just pair you or will you pick?

Anyway, just FYI!

That's great advice!
I am fortunate to be married to a web developer so a professional site is free for me :thumbsup2

Peggy this is great news!! Congrats!!!:banana:

Wow, the dis is certainly NOT keeping up with the updates. I've missed so much on this thread!

I have some fantastic news... Noble just asked me for the full ms on my latest historical!!! She said "she loved it and couldn't wait to read more, so please send the full at your earliest convenience"!!!

I'm over the moon right now!!!

Congrats! Fingers crossed that she loves the full!!

I don't have much going on... my agent just starting shopping my new series today... but I'm not expecting anything, so I'm tinkering away on a few new ideas. I really can't decide what I want to work on next.

Just did a reading at my daughters school one of the stories from my first book. It went really well. Both classes that I read to loved it. I had shopped it around origianlly to agents and people I knew. They all asked me who I wrote it for. I put it on th back burner to write the other book which was much more directed to an audiance. It went over so well today that actually a couple of the 5th graders asked me where they could buy it. I think I am taking it off the back burner now.

Does anyone know any illustrators. I am hoping to find one who would work with my daughter. I had orriginally planned for the book to be illustrated by three people as there are three stories being told by two brothers and a sister.

Just did a reading at my daughters school one of the stories from my first book. It went really well. Both classes that I read to loved it. I had shopped it around origianlly to agents and people I knew. They all asked me who I wrote it for. I put it on th back burner to write the other book which was much more directed to an audiance. It went over so well today that actually a couple of the 5th graders asked me where they could buy it. I think I am taking it off the back burner now.

Does anyone know any illustrators. I am hoping to find one who would work with my daughter. I had orriginally planned for the book to be illustrated by three people as there are three stories being told by two brothers and a sister.

I personally know a very good illustrator! Check her out. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alex-me-design/190567480986754

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter