Dis Viking River Cruise 10/19 - 10/26/2015

So my parents were so excited by my description of this trip that they just booked a very similar itinerary in September with another company they travel with. I told them to scout shopping for me! Laurie

Awesome! That will be super helpful!

I put my Disneyland Paris jacket on this morning and was hit with a sudden burst of "Oh my goodness...we are going back to PARIS!!!!!!" ❤️

I am so pleased that my husband Larry and I will be joining the group. Kevin helped us with booking over the weekend and we are excited about this new adventure. We have not travelled with this group, but this itinerary is very appealing to us. We have been to Normandy before (loved it) and cannot wait for a return trip. I look forward to getting to know all of you too!

Ann

I'm pretty excited about this trip as well. It's be a while since I've traveled with a group and it will be nice to see some old friends and make new friends.

I feel pretty darn lucky because I was in Paris & DLP last year and I'm getting ready to go back this year. I leave on November 26th. I was going to head over to where Viking currently docks to get an idea of how easy it will be to get there if you don't book the prestay.

I will be staying at the Sequioa Lodge at DLP for a night and I can post some pictures of that resort if any one is interested on seeing the refurbished rooms.

Also, I'll be in Florence for 5 nights and if anyone has any suggestions for restaurants and good gelateria's please let me know.

I have updated the participant list with as many board names as possible.

If I have not added yours and you'd like me to....let me know.

If I have your's wrong...let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hey there y'all!

I'm so very excited to be going on this trip. I can't wait to travel again with old friends and new friends. I've been wanting to do a river cruise forever so this is just perfect!

Anna: Please do all the research you can! I don't think Jeri is going to give me very many pre days and no post days so as much advanced itel I get will be very helpful. (Can't wait to see you again!)

I've already found a dessert walking tour of Paris I'm thinking about! I also want to see the Water Lilly paintings. And maybe the Cluny museum too. And DLP. And, and, and....... never enough time.

Is it wrong that I'm thinking of letting Jeri go home without me and staying on a few days? :angel:

Now all I need to do is finally kick this cold to the curb. It's been lingering on here for a month and my work is really piling up. I'm getting everything done only on time instead of ahead of schedule and it's starting to feel like my desk is judging me.

Hi Lauren!

It will be great to see you and Jeri again!

I was planning on checking out the Cluny this trip.
I want to see the stained glass and the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries.

I have a list a mile long of things I want to see this trip too. I agree there is never enough time.

This info is really far in advance but if you want to go up the Eiffel Tower the tickets go on sale 3 months in advance. Buy your tickets online and pick your time in advance to save yourself an hour wait.

Just an update...

Six stateroom categories have sold out for this sailing.

Categories AA and A are still available but, category A is limited.

The are currently 33 DISers signed on for this cruise.

Think they are ready for us? :wave2:

Wow, it's so good to see the names of people we have travelled with before but have not seen since 2010 as well as some that we will meet for the first time next month! We are really looking forward to this cruise and hearing from our fellow travelers who have been to Paris before.

toute à l'heure

...dave

We took the Paris to Normandy Viking cruise a couple of years ago and it was utterly fantastic.

Enjoy.

Also, I'll be in Florence for 5 nights and if anyone has any suggestions for restaurants and good gelateria's please let me know.

Anna -

We were on the Viva Italia trip in September and our guide Dusty recommended a restaurant in Florence called Acqua al 2. Here's the website: http://www.acquaal2.it/Firenze.html

We didn't get to try it but some others did and said it was great and I would absolutely trust Dusty's recommendation.

We ate at a restaurant in the Oltrarno district called Osteria Santo Spirito: http://www.osteriasantospirito.it

It was fantastic! Lots of locals, The gnocchi and pasta and antipasta were just incredible! On the way back we stopped for gelato at Gelateria la Carraia. It is on the Oltrarno side right at the bridge. It was one bridge from the Ponte Vecchio. We learned about it from this article and it did not disappoint although we only got a tasting cone since we were so stuffed from dinner!

http://www.visitflorence.com/eating-and-drinking-in-florence/gelato-in-florence.html

Enjoy!!!

Laurie

Acqua al 2 is our favorite Italian restaurant in DC. It is next to the eastern market. It brought back the flavors and ambiance of Florence to us. If the one in Florence is half as good it will be outstanding.

Acqua al 2 is our favorite Italian restaurant in DC. It is next to the eastern market. It brought back the flavors and ambiance of Florence to us. If the one in Florence is half as good it will be outstanding.

Oh wow Jack! I had no idea there was one in DC and it just happens that I will be in DC next weekend for a conference not far from there! Thanks for the tip!

Laurie

I have updated the participant list with as many board names as possible.

If I have not added yours and you'd like me to....let me know.

If I have your's wrong...let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin -

You can add the board names for Debbi (TheFairyGodmother) and Barry (BarTheBear).

Just an update...

Six stateroom categories have sold out for this sailing.

Categories AA and A are still available but, category A is limited.

The are currently 33 DISers signed on for this cruise.

Think they are ready for us? :wave2:

From my reading, it looks like they set up groups for the various excursions. Obviously, bus size is a factor. Any plans to ask them if we can all be grouped together? I'm not sure how they handle that with Viking. Or do we all just group ourselves together when they hand out group assignments?

Anna -

We were on the Viva Italia trip in September and our guide Dusty recommended a restaurant in Florence called Acqua al 2. Here's the website: http://www.acquaal2.it/Firenze.html

We didn't get to try it but some others did and said it was great and I would absolutely trust Dusty's recommendation.

We ate at a restaurant in the Oltrarno district called Osteria Santo Spirito: http://www.osteriasantospirito.it

It was fantastic! Lots of locals, The gnocchi and pasta and antipasta were just incredible! On the way back we stopped for gelato at Gelateria la Carraia. It is on the Oltrarno side right at the bridge. It was one bridge from the Ponte Vecchio. We learned about it from this article and it did not disappoint although we only got a tasting cone since we were so stuffed from dinner!

http://www.visitflorence.com/eating-and-drinking-in-florence/gelato-in-florence.html

Enjoy!!!

Laurie

Thank you so much Laurie!!!!

I can't wait to try these restaurants.
Trying to find good local restaurants in touristy areas can be hard.

Sounds like a great restaurant!!
It must be good if you liked it and it reminds you of Florence.

OK, so this is really still a long way off but being in a quiet, pondering mode this Sunday morning.

We've got 3 pre-nights in Paris booked as part of the whole trip. Sounds good to give us time to see Paris. But then we are thinking about adding even more time either before or after, possibly both. I'm betting that Dreams will come up with a plan for getting out to DLP for a couple of days. That's pretty much a must do for Val & I.

This morning it occurred to me that London is also pretty close. Just a fast train ride away as it were. Perhaps adding another 3 nights before or after would allow us to include the highlights of London. Maybe we would fly into London; do three nights there; train to Paris for the pre-nights; do the cruise; then out to DLP for a couple of nights before flying back out of Paris. Or maybe swap the London and DLP dates. Sweeten the deal with an obscene balance of Marriott points that I really should start using....

Must give this more thought.... :scratchin

From my reading, it looks like they set up groups for the various excursions. Obviously, bus size is a factor. Any plans to ask them if we can all be grouped together? I'm not sure how they handle that with Viking. Or do we all just group ourselves together when they hand out group assignments?

I have been told that they create groups of 20 or 25 guests for touring.

As all of our reservations are linked, we are considered on big group.

As we already have 35 guests, I believe we will be divided into two groups....but who knows?

OK, so this is really still a long way off but being in a quiet, pondering mode this Sunday morning.

We've got 3 pre-nights in Paris booked as part of the whole trip. Sounds good to give us time to see Paris. But then we are thinking about adding even more time either before or after, possibly both. I'm betting that Dreams will come up with a plan for getting out to DLP for a couple of days. That's pretty much a must do for Val & I.

This morning it occurred to me that London is also pretty close. Just a fast train ride away as it were. Perhaps adding another 3 nights before or after would allow us to include the highlights of London. Maybe we would fly into London; do three nights there; train to Paris for the pre-nights; do the cruise; then out to DLP for a couple of nights before flying back out of Paris. Or maybe swap the London and DLP dates. Sweeten the deal with an obscene balance of Marriott points that I really should start using....

Must give this more thought.... :scratchin

We are spending pre-nights in Paris.

John will work getting a DLP package together for those interested, but I can promise that it will not happen before the Podcast Cruise. To be safe....I'm guessing after the first of the year.

du-sidebar-show-notes

ORLANDO SHOW

UNIVERSAL SHOW

CONNECTING WITH WALT

DREAMS SHOW

DISNEYLAND SHOW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter