Dis Viking River Cruise 10/19 - 10/26/2015

This morning it occurred to me that London is also pretty close. Just a fast train ride away as it were.
Must give this more thought.... :scratchin

This is very tempting to me too, especially after watching the video of the post-trip extension to Blenheim Palace, Oxford and Downton Abbey. I may have to talk Brian into this one (as I sit here on Sunday afternoon watching Downton Abbey).

Laurie

This is very tempting to me too, especially after watching the video of the post-trip extension to Blenheim Palace, Oxford and Downton Abbey. I may have to talk Brian into this one (as I sit here on Sunday afternoon watching Downton Abbey).

Laurie

Val & I know nothing about visiting London. We are talking to folks who have done the London-Paris ABD adventure and anybody else with actual London experience. There has also been a suggestion to watch the Samantha Brown segments where she does London. I'm also going to check out the ABD itinerary just for a source list of places to visit.

If any of the other family are going on this trip and are interested in the London side-trip, why don't we try to coordinate? We might need to do this in a different thread so as to not unduly clutter up this thread. :surfweb:

We loved our trip to London, and I've been dying to get back there! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one spending time trying to figure out a way to do both!

But since Jeri is a big meanie and will only give me the weekend before the cruise to plan with I've decided our best use of time is just to get our Paris on since it's not like they don't have enough stuff to do there too.

Ah, Harry Potter Experience I never even really got to know you and now the dream is over. *sniff*. And touring Downton Abby :( And the Doctor Who Tour (which is in Wales and so was NEVER going to happen, but I still feel like I lost something anyway) So sad.

BUT for you folks hitting up London we took the train down to Hampton Court when we were there and really enjoyed it so I did want to recommend that. Depending on how in to it you are I think you could spend most of the day there. And if you're REALLY in to it you can take a boat on the Thames down there instead of the train like they used to do in the old days. Not having enough time as it is kind of cut this out for us but it's the way I really wanted to do it.

Val & I know nothing about visiting London. We are talking to folks who have done the London-Paris ABD adventure and anybody else with actual London experience. There has also been a suggestion to watch the Samantha Brown segments where she does London. I'm also going to check out the ABD itinerary just for a source list of places to visit.

If any of the other family are going on this trip and are interested in the London side-trip, why don't we try to coordinate? We might need to do this in a different thread so as to not unduly clutter up this thread. :surfweb:
I just did 5 days in London (prior to my Scotland ABD), as well as doing the London/Paris trip 3 years ago. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!

Sayhello

Thanks Kevin, that was a very helpful review.

Christy found a wonderful review of this itinerary that answers a lot of the questions that I think will come up.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1854895&highlight=viking+paris+Normandy

Thanks Kevin and Christy! Even though this is a different ship, it was very helpful!

Val & I know nothing about visiting London. We are talking to folks who have done the London-Paris ABD adventure and anybody else with actual London experience. QUOTE]

You are thinking of doing this pre-cruise, right Jeff? That's what I would recommend, because London is very busy and sightseeing intense so it would be nice to have the relaxing cruise after it. That being said, we can't add on pre-trip (we'd miss my daughter's birthday) but I am still toying with the post-cruise extension in the English countryside.

As far as what to see in London, I was very impressed by the British Museum. There are lots of daily free tours giving an overview or focusing on one small area. Also, I listened to this podcast and it was great:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/a_history_of_the_world.aspx

The Tower of London and Westminster Abbey are must sees. I could have spent a week in the Abbey alone. Buckingham Palace will be closed in October (it's only open to the public when the queen is on holiday) but you can visit the Royal Mews (stables) where the carriages are. Brian and I visited Windsor Palace which is just outside of London. It actually has a much more extensive history as a royal home than Buckingham. It is the largest and oldest inhabited castle in the world. They have their own changing of the guard, which is much less crowded than the one at Buckingham. St. George's Chapel on the ground is the home of the Order of the Garter and the burial site for most of the recent British monarchs plus Henry VIII, Charles I, and George III and others (I am a British history nut in case you couldn't tell.)

Here's the website for the royal palaces:

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/

Harrods was lots of fun and although I am terrified of heights, I really enjoyed the London Eye. St. Paul's Cathedral has gorgeous acoustics and regular, free organ concerts. Brian and I went to a short 45 minute one and it was very impressive. The theater district is fun with lots of restaurant options.

Laurie

I have been told that they create groups of 20 or 25 guests for touring.

As all of our reservations are linked, we are considered on big group.

As we already have 35 guests, I believe we will be divided into two groups....but who knows?

That's a nice touring number. Two groups sounds great!

We loved our trip to London, and I've been dying to get back there! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one spending time trying to figure out a way to do both!

But since Jeri is a big meanie and will only give me the weekend before the cruise to plan with I've decided our best use of time is just to get our Paris on since it's not like they don't have enough stuff to do there too.

Ah, Harry Potter Experience I never even really got to know you and now the dream is over. *sniff*. And touring Downton Abby :( And the Doctor Who Tour (which is in Wales and so was NEVER going to happen, but I still feel like I lost something anyway) So sad.

BUT for you folks hitting up London we took the train down to Hampton Court when we were there and really enjoyed it so I did want to recommend that. Depending on how in to it you are I think you could spend most of the day there. And if you're REALLY in to it you can take a boat on the Thames down there instead of the train like they used to do in the old days. Not having enough time as it is kind of cut this out for us but it's the way I really wanted to do it.

We've been to London a few times--a couple on our own and last time on the ABD London/Paris/DLP trip--so probably going to stick with France on this trip. Definitely planning a return trip to Reims and the Champagne region. Also thinking about a couple days in Burgundy. Happy to share tips for London for those interested. And I can second the recommendation for Hampton Court - easy trip outside the city. Stonehenge is another one where there's an okay touring option and an amazing touring option. If another thread starts up, let us know!

OK, so this is really still a long way off but being in a quiet, pondering mode this Sunday morning. We've got 3 pre-nights in Paris booked as part of the whole trip. Sounds good to give us time to see Paris. But then we are thinking about adding even more time either before or after, possibly both. I'm betting that Dreams will come up with a plan for getting out to DLP for a couple of days. That's pretty much a must do for Val & I. This morning it occurred to me that London is also pretty close. Just a fast train ride away as it were. Perhaps adding another 3 nights before or after would allow us to include the highlights of London. Maybe we would fly into London; do three nights there; train to Paris for the pre-nights; do the cruise; then out to DLP for a couple of nights before flying back out of Paris. Or maybe swap the London and DLP dates. Sweeten the deal with an obscene balance of Marriott points that I really should start using.... Must give this more thought.... :scratchin

I would LOVE to do an extension at DLP. Can't wait to see what John comes up with.

We will probably stick with France this trip rather than work in a side jaunt to London. After adding on DLP, I think that will take care of the number of days we can be away. For those going to London who are into music, there's an excellent Beatles history tour available.

We've been to London a few times--a couple on our own and last time on the ABD London/Paris/DLP trip--so probably going to stick with France on this trip. Definitely planning a return trip to Reims and the Champagne region. Also thinking about a couple days in Burgundy. Happy to share tips for London for those interested. And I can second the recommendation for Hampton Court - easy trip outside the city. Stonehenge is another one where there's an okay touring option and an amazing touring option. If another thread starts up, let us know!

I would love to go back to the Champagne region! We were there on the first Knights and Lights ABD, and I think you and I talked about our experiences there briefly on the podcast cruise. Where did you end up going in the region?

I would love to go back to the Champagne region! We were there on the first Knights and Lights ABD, and I think you and I talked about our experiences there briefly on the podcast cruise. Where did you end up going in the region?

Looking forward to another trip with you, Christy!

It was a quick trip, but we made stops at Ruinart, Moet & Chandon, and a very small house - Ployez Jacquemart (I believe). Nice to do a mix of large and small. The place we were staying helped to arrange much of that, as well as a driver - highly recommended. My hope for this next trip is to visit Krug :worship:

We also dined at L'Assiette Champenoise - the restaurant of Chef Arnaud Lallement, who collaborated with Chef Scott Hunnel of Victoria & Albert's on the Remy menu aboard the Dream and the Fantasy. The cast members we've met at Remy helped to arrange that dinner, which was spectacular. The restaurant recently received a third Michelin star (much deserved IMO), and we've been hoping to return. They showed us some of the rooms at the hotel (all in the chef's family - met his mother there), and we were actually thinking about staying there this time.

I'm down to the wire regarding a decision as to what trip insurance to buy. What are some of you doing? We want a Cancel For Any Reason policy but I'm not sure how to get this done before the deadline since we don't have our flight & post-stay plans completed yet. Any advice or suggestions?

You can purchase the insurance through Viking or you can visit the website I suggested and compare policies.

Hi guys, I'm not going on this trip but will be reading your posts with interest as there are a couple of places you're going to that I'd like to visit someday!

I live just outside London (and work near the London Eye) so if you need any tips or information on sightseeing in England let me know :thumbsup2

I'm down to the wire regarding a decision as to what trip insurance to buy. What are some of you doing? We want a Cancel For Any Reason policy but I'm not sure how to get this done before the deadline since we don't have our flight & post-stay plans completed yet. Any advice or suggestions?

We bought our insurance through the site Kevin recommended and I just added a few days on the end of the trip and more $ for the cost since we haven't firmed up our plans.

Laurie

I forgot you and Mike did that! You put something in that thread about it, didn't you? I'm going to have to go find that!

Laurie

Thanks, SarabisCub. I'm glad to know you can just estimate dollars & time for the policy before actually booking your air, etc. We've been bad about traveling without insurance in the past but are no longer wiling to take that risk.

I've looked at the site Kevin recommended. He has been very helpful.

Latest posts

du-sidebar-show-notes

ORLANDO SHOW

UNIVERSAL SHOW

CONNECTING WITH WALT

DREAMS SHOW

DISNEYLAND SHOW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter