Dis Unplugged 6/9/20 - A question about the black experience at Walt Disney World

I’m of the opinion that they want (and should) get this right. If you’re going to make a significant change to the theme and bring in the team they’ve announced, you better bring your game face and $$$. That said, I don’t think they announced any dates so they haven’t backed themselves into a tight turnaround. I don’t think they’d shut it down until Tron is up and running?

They're still described that way!? Wow... that should definitely change.

Disney has changed the language regarding the Mansion buildings - the plantation style wording is no longer there. Below is from Disney's official site:

From the stately white-column mansions of Magnolia Bend to Alligator Bayou’s quaint backwoods cottages, delight in a picturesque setting that evokes the romance of rural Louisiana. Take a short walk along the Sassagoula River to Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter, known for Southern specialties like gumbo, jambalaya and beignets.

( Great discussion by the way! )

I’ve really appreciated the discussion here and want to thank everyone for sharing their perspectives. My kids and I have all had some difficult but good discussions over the last several weeks. One of my kids is trans and when the Supreme Court’s decision in Bostock was announced I broke down sobbing because it represented one less challenge for my kid. Moms of color deserve that, too. I don’t know if that makes sense or not. I’m well aware that what I teach my son when he learns to drive, for example, will be different from what POC go through when their kids turn 16.

I’m of the opinion that they want (and should) get this right. If you’re going to make a significant change to the theme and bring in the team they’ve announced, you better bring your game face and $$$. That said, I don’t think they announced any dates so they haven’t backed themselves into a tight turnaround. I don’t think they’d shut it down until Tron is up and running?

The only thing they have said is that the ride will be open when the park reopens in a few weeks. Personally I can't imagine them having it closed for a few months just to then reopen it and then reclose it shortly after

My guess is the redo doesn't stay until after the 50th (so maybe sometime in 2022) but that is just a guess

Hey, I just wanted to thank all of the POC who participated so patiently in this thread-and, as a white woman, apologize for what is apparently the knee jerk need of many of us white folk to turn these conversations into being about us-or move them to somethjng we are more comfortable talking about. I appreciate you for continuing to explain and educate-it just be so freaking exhausting. White folks, let’s do our best to listen here, not to argue or expect to be given a cookie for being the best ally ever!!!!

Wow was this on point. I can't do the Splash Mountain/Princess and the Frog thread anymore. There's a lot of ugly, passive aggressive things coming out of there. I believe one term was "fringe lunatics" - alluding to those who wanted to see a change of the theme.

Thanks for the head's up. I wanted to read about the reaction but I don't have the energy nor the temperament at the moment to tackle that.

My take on all attractions: I love Disney but I've never been so attached to an attraction that I've gotten angry if the theming has been changed. Maybe I'm just emotionally detached to that aspect. I enjoy the thought and hard work that goes into making each attraction a unique experience and I look forward to encountering new and different theming in the future. Makes each trip a little more exciting for me.

I never usually post but i wanted to weigh in with my specific experiences. When at Disney, it does totally feel like a magical place but I never forget that I'm a black person often in a sea of white people. In the parks, i usually have a great and fun experience. It's usually on the buses or at the resorts that i'll, at times, feel not completely uncomfortable, but "on notice." It's hard to describe exactly how it feels and of course, at times I may be feeling a bit hypersensitive when all anyone else is thinking about is getting ready to run at rope drop, but it's something that doesn't turn off just because I am in the Disney bubble. It's not something that ever goes away and it shouldn't. I know that my feelings are a result of a lifetime of having to face and deal with the same racist judgments no matter where I am.

I wish I could be more eloquent with explaining and someone else probably will be (and I'm a copywriter by day! ahh!) but i wanted to say a little something.
Hi TummyGirl and fellow Dis'ers,
As a Black man, I too have been "on notice" when I visit the Disney Parks and Universal Studios. For my fellow Dis' who may not understand what the feeling of being on notice means. Most people have never had the experience of having had "The Talk" from parents or gut-wrenching feeling of having to give "The Talk" to a Black/Brown child/ young adult you love. The Talk is not about the Birds and the Bees, but how to ensure you come home safely every day. Black people are seen "differently", particularly Black men have been stereotyped as "aggressive" or angry. The Talk is a reminder to not raise your voice, to not reach in your pocket for your keys or mobile phone. To not be aggressive when a White family steps in front of you, completely blocking your view just at the start of the 3 o'clock Main Street Parade. When you politely mention to that family, that you were standing there since 1:59 PM respectfully waiting, and you ask why they stepped in front of you? The response is typical "Oh we did not see you standing there." Hard to miss a solid, six-foot-tall Black Man. I agree that some times the feeling of being a bit less comfortable on the Dinsey Transport busses heading back to the Resort at the end of a long park day can be a bit unnerving. The odd looks from certain children or their parents, based on their speech patterns/accent, one can perceive these families are not from New England, LOL.
Although many of my fellow Disney pals ( many of them are White) would never imagine how or why still love my time at Disney resorts/theme parks. No matter the number of times I was mistaken for a Luggage Bell boy, car park valet, or one time a bathroom cleaning Cast member. One experience did require Manager escalation while dining at Kimonos Japanese restaurant at the Swan. It was a simple matter of dining with a small party of five adults, I offered my "Tables in Wonderland" card and my credit card. My Cousin returned my credit card and he offered to use his card instead.
The wait staff returned to the table along with a "Jr" Manager who told me my Tables in Wonderland card would not be accepted, (using a very negative tone, accusing me of some wrongdoing.) The cast memeber continued saying "the credit card was not mine and the Table Discount could only be used with in the same family." I told the Castmembers "I am dining with my cousin and his wife." The Castmember said, "They don't look like you all are family." My cousin could not believe what he and his wife was witnessing. I quietly counted to ten. Then I asked for a SR Manager to come over. Eventually, a Sr Cast Member (who happened to be a White man) in a suit arrived. The entire story was recapped. The Sr Manager paused and asked me if I did not understand the "rules"? I replied, " how or why did the wait staff assume I was not dining with members of my family?" Then my cousin and his wife stood up and said, "It is because WE are WHITE, right?" LOL
My fellow Dis'ers two good things came out of that experience.
First; Disney modified the Tables in Wonderland policy for what constitutes a "Family" to now read "members/guests of the same dining party."
(All my fellow Table in Wonderland cardholders, you are welcome!)

The second good thing was it was a lesson for everyone. My own cousins never realized the kinds of crap Black/Brown people actually experience, the subtle systemic racism. Families come in all sizes and colors, but we must all be more sensitive, more compassionate for each other. Yes, Black and Brown people do love Disney too.

I am sharing a link to a short video about "The Talk" Please view and do not be afraid to comment. It is only through dialogue we can come together.

This second video is "The Look"

I hope you watch both videos, please share.
In peace and for the Love of things Disney, be well and stay safe. And wear your face mask if not for yourself, for the health of someone you care about.

As a Black man, I too have been "on notice" when I visit the Disney Parks and Universal Studios. For my fellow Dis' who may not understand what the feeling of being on notice means. Most people have never had the experience of having had "The Talk" from parents or gut-wrenching feeling of having to give "The Talk" to a Black/Brown child/ young adult you love. The Talk is not about the Birds and the Bees, but how to ensure you come home safely every day. Black people are seen "differently", particularly Black men have been stereotyped as "aggressive" or angry. The Talk is a reminder to not raise your voice, to not reach in your pocket for your keys or mobile phone. To not be aggressive when a White family steps in front of you, completely blocking your view just at the start of the 3 o'clock Main Street Parade. When you politely mention to that family, that you were standing there since 1:59 PM respectfully waiting, and you ask why they stepped in front of you? The response is typical "Oh we did not see you standing there." Hard to miss a solid, six-foot-tall Black Man. I agree that some times the feeling of being a bit less comfortable on the Dinsey Transport busses heading back to the Resort at the end of a long park day can be a bit unnerving. The odd looks from certain children or their parents, based on their speech patterns/accent, one can perceive these families are not from New England, LOL.
Although many of my fellow Disney pals ( many of them are White) would never imagine how or why still love my time at Disney resorts/theme parks. No matter the number of times I was mistaken for a Luggage Bell boy, car park valet, or one time a bathroom cleaning Cast member. One experience did require Manager escalation while dining at Kimonos Japanese restaurant at the Swan. It was a simple matter of dining with a small party of five adults, I offered my "Tables in Wonderland" card and my credit card. My Cousin returned my credit card and he offered to use his card instead.
The wait staff returned to the table along with a "Jr" Manager who told me my Tables in Wonderland card would not be accepted, (using a very negative tone, accusing me of some wrongdoing.) The cast memeber continued saying "the credit card was not mine and the Table Discount could only be used with in the same family." I told the Castmembers "I am dining with my cousin and his wife." The Castmember said, "They don't look like you all are family." My cousin could not believe what he and his wife was witnessing. I quietly counted to ten. Then I asked for a SR Manager to come over. Eventually, a Sr Cast Member (who happened to be a White man) in a suit arrived. The entire story was recapped. The Sr Manager paused and asked me if I did not understand the "rules"? I replied, " how or why did the wait staff assume I was not dining with members of my family?" Then my cousin and his wife stood up and said, "It is because WE are WHITE, right?" LOL
First; Disney modified the Tables in Wonderland policy for what constitutes a "Family" to now read "members/guests of the same dining party."

The second good thing was it was a lesson for everyone. My own cousins never realized the kinds of crap Black/Brown people actually experience, the subtle systemic racism. Families come in all sizes and colors, but we must all be more sensitive, more compassionate for each other. Yes, Black and Brown people do love Disney too.

I am sharing a link to a short video about "The Talk" Please view and do not be afraid to comment. It is only through dialogue we can come together.

In peace and for the Love of things Disney, be well and stay safe. And wear your face mask if not for yourself, for the health of someone you care about.

Thank you so much for sharing this. That Tables in Wonderland story was wild but tbh doesn’t surprise me in the slightest because I’ve experienced similar situations while out with my partner and her family as well as my white relatives in the UK. People are prone to making assumptions and tend not to read multiracial families as families. With me and my partner homophobia also plays a role, I don’t fit the stereotype of a queer woman as a Black femme and so even when I’m with my gf who is much more gender non conforming people will “gal pal” us because she’s white. I find it actually happens less at Disney because so many CMs are LGBT but it still happens and tbqh it wouldn’t nearly as much if I were also white.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you so much for sharing this. That Tables in Wonderland story was wild but tbh doesn’t surprise me in the slightest because I’ve experienced similar situations while out with my partner and her family as well as my white relatives in the UK. People are prone to making assumptions and tend not to read multiracial families as families. With me and my partner homophobia also plays a role, I don’t fit the stereotype of a queer woman as a Black femme and so even when I’m with my gf who is much more gender non conforming people will “gal pal” us because she’s white. I find it actually happens less at Disney because so many CMs are LGBT but it still happens and tbqh it wouldn’t nearly as much if I were also white.
Hi Kylenne,
That is exactly my point "Family is Family is LGBT is Family" LOL . I am curious do you and your GF feel More or Less (Safe) or on Notice at a Disney Park compared to Universal Studios Orlando ( if you have visited)?

Hi Kylenne,
That is exactly my point "Family is Family is LGBT is Family" LOL . I am curious do you and your GF feel More or Less (Safe) or on Notice at a Disney Park compared to Universal Studios Orlando ( if you have visited)?

We haven’t been to Universal because the only thing there we’d be interested in would be the Potter stuff and we always end up just adding days to our Disney trips because it makes more economical sense. I will say that one of the reasons we love Disney so much is we feel much more comfortable there than other places.

I think it is time for a new Forum Topic here on the Dis. Pete created real magic here and I have experienced sincere warmth and welcome from Pete, John and Kevin, Corey and @Ryno. When attending past events, I have to look around and ask "where are the Black & Brown, people of color?" I know you are out there, because I am not the only Brown man who loves Disney :love:
The creation of "D.O.C.'s" Dis'ers Of Color is not meant to separate people, instead, let us create a forum for Dis'er Of Color and our allies. We can discuss everything from "Who else was glad to see the Dixie Landings Resort sign come down?", " Has anyone see Pocahontas and Tianna lately?"
What do you all think of a "D.O.C.'s" forum/ Topic? If anyone knows me, you know "Doc" is one of my favorite dwarfs.

I'm as white as they get, but i personally think its a great idea... I mean theres a sub forum for Spanish speakers and UK fans, so why should anyone think its a bad idea? Each group has specific things that make for a unique experience at Disney! And i'd participate as an ally if its open to all.
I hope your idea takes off!!

I think it is time for a new Forum Topic here on the Dis. Pete created real magic here and I have experienced sincere warmth and welcome from Pete, John and Kevin, Corey and @Ryno. When attending past events, I have to look around and ask "where are the Black & Brown, people of color?" I know you are out there, because I am not the only Brown man who loves Disney :love:
The creation of "D.O.C.'s" Dis'ers Of Color is not meant to separate people, instead, let us create a forum for Dis'er Of Color and our allies. We can discuss everything from "Who else was glad to see the Dixie Landings Resort sign come down?", " Has anyone see Pocahontas and Tianna lately?"
What do you all think of a "D.O.C.'s" forum/ Topic? If anyone knows me, you know "Doc" is one of my favorite dwarfs.

I think a forum for this would be great (and I look ve the acronym) ... I know there is an LGBTQ forum and I understand it is pretty active/people have found value in it and I think people would find value in this as well

I have to add my thanks, @AKL Ranger, for your sharing. I second @kylenne in that while I'm shocked at what you were put through, I'm hardly surprised.

What I always liked about Disney is the focus on the customer's experience and enjoyment (and I've worked retail and I DO NOT believe the customer is always right :P). I like being able to travel to a place where for a little while, even though I know it's "make believe," everyone is all smiles and "how can I help yous." The reality, which you've given a glimpse of, is that as persons of color, even that magical experience has its limitations and not in the expected ways. I would expect to encounter a reality check if I were cutting in line or using, I don't know, flash photography. It's these what-should-be-normal moments when we are clearly and obviously discriminated against because of long-held assumptions and long-standing ignorance, that should serve as notice to others that we are treated differently. I have found, too, with white family members and friends, that even they sometimes do not clearly see what we experience until they are there with us on the "other side."

Again I'm loving that we are having this discussion.

Wow was this on point. I can't do the Splash Mountain/Princess and the Frog thread anymore. There's a lot of ugly, passive aggressive things coming out of there. I believe one term was "fringe lunatics" - alluding to those who wanted to see a change of the theme.
Yeah it wasn't even up 24 hrs before I couldn't stomach it anymore and haven't been back. Let them groan at one another. Most of them don't get it because they don't want to get it. Just resort to same tired phrases over & over.

I'm as white as they get, but i personally think its a great idea... I mean theres a sub forum for Spanish speakers and UK fans, so why should anyone think its a bad idea? Each group has specific things that make for a unique experience at Disney! And i'd participate as an ally if its open to all.
I hope your idea takes off!!
I agree.
I have to add my thanks, @AKL Ranger, for your sharing. I second @kylenne in that while I'm shocked at what you were put through, I'm hardly surprised.

What I always liked about Disney is the focus on the customer's experience and enjoyment (and I've worked retail and I DO NOT believe the customer is always right :P). I like being able to travel to a place where for a little while, even though I know it's "make believe," everyone is all smiles and "how can I help yous." The reality, which you've given a glimpse of, is that as persons of color, even that magical experience has its limitations and not in the expected ways. I would expect to encounter a reality check if I were cutting in line or using, I don't know, flash photography. It's these what-should-be-normal moments when we are clearly and obviously discriminated against because of long-held assumptions and long-standing ignorance, that should serve as notice to others that we are treated differently. I have found, too, with white family members and friends, that even they sometimes do not clearly see what we experience until they are there with us on the "other side."

Again I'm loving that we are having this discussion.

Your comment about getting a glimpse of what you experience really struck me. I lived in Louisiana for a year and worked for an environmental lobby. One night after work, I went to a bar to meet up with some co-workers. I stood at the bar ignored for several minutes and didn’t have a clue why. The bartender literally made eye contract several times before walking away to help someone else. A co-worker I’d given a ride to finally said under his breath, “it’s because you came in with me.” We left. I was horrified, embarrassed, mortified. All I could do was apologize. This was 1994 in a college bar in Baton Rouge. I was stunned that anyone would care that I walked into a bar with my co-worker and friend who just happened to be a black man. Over the last few weeks I’ve come to realize that this event which I found so shocking, and that I can still recall in detail so many years later, was probably just another Tuesday night for my friend Bobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter