DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-strike-sag-aftra-actors-1235508507/

An “Existential Fight” Looms If Actors Join the Writers Strike

As SAG-AFTRA starts negotiations with the AMPTP, the threat of a wider work stoppage is already having a chilling effect on film and TV production.

By Rebecca Keegan
June 6, 2023 1:13pm

Not since 1980 — when they shut down production over residuals from now-quaint tech like videotapes and cable TV — have Hollywood’s actors gone on strike against the major film and TV studios. But with SAG-AFTRA voting to authorize a strike by a nearly 98 percent margin, another historic labor action is possible over a new generation of tech: streaming. And the work stoppage would grind to a halt the already diminished production that has been hit by Hollywood’s ongoing writers strike.

“I voted yes on the strike authorization because actors have been getting the short end of the stick from streaming,” says Nadia Alexander, a member of both SAG and the WGA. “All creators are.” SAG-AFTRA will strike if they can’t reach a deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers over a new contract by June 30.

With the writers strike entering its sixth week, production and writers rooms have already shut down on all of late night TV and major shows like ABC’s Abbott Elementary and Netflix’s Stranger Things. But other productions, like the U.K.-based set of Amazon Prime’s The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, have kept shooting with nonwriting producers on set. If an actors strike becomes official, it would make filming scripted movies and TV shows nearly impossible for U.S. companies.

The mere threat of a SAG strike has had a chilling effect on some sectors — insurance firms have begun refusing to bond indie film productions until at least June 30. Producers had to shut down the Joaquin Phoenix-Rooney Mara indie movie The Island, which was to start shooting in Spain in late May, after they couldn’t obtain a bond.

“If SAG doesn’t strike, people think they could mount productions for September or October,” says producer Ted Hope, who co-ran Amazon’s film division until June 2020. Hope had a movie with cast and financing in place that he had to pause due to the potential of the SAG strike. “If SAG strikes, those discussions won’t happen until there’s another signal. People are worried. A lot of folks believe the strike will go on until the end of the year.”

The actors’ authorization vote results came through less than 48 hours after the Directors Guild struck its own deal with the AMPTP, surprising many in the industry who thought the DGA would hold out for the actors’ vote results in order to have more leverage in its negotiations.

“If we’re all striking, the AMPTP will have to fold,” Alexander says. “The directors are going to show up and there will be no actors, no writers. What exactly are they going to direct?”

Some are hoping a strike by the 160,000 performers in the actors union will bring the industry’s labor unrest to a close more quickly. “I’d like SAG joining [the strike],” says one Oscar-nominated screenwriter who is in the WGA and DGA. “That’s to the benefit of everybody. That brings this to a swifter conclusion. Actors have some legitimate beefs. If there were a consistent stream of celebrities talking about these companies in a way that made them uncomfortable that would be helpful.”

The actors are aligned with the writers on many key issues, including how their compensation has shrunk due to inflation and a shift to streaming as well as concerns over the use of AI in entertainment industry jobs. There are also some bargaining issues unique to actors, like a desire to put limits on studios’ use of self-taped auditions, which became the norm during the pandemic. “We’re emerging from the pandemic where many actors believed things would soon quote ‘get back to normal,’ ” says SAG-AFTRA member Aleisha Force. “But our new normal is this pretty existential fight.”

Many say this Hollywood labor movement feels different from the 2007-08 writers strike, in that it is focused not just on securing new contract gains but on grappling with a broader industry shift. “This has always been a precarious business, but I have never heard so much questioning within the industry,” says Hope. “There’s a new awareness that perhaps we’ve started to ruin our own business with the way we manage things. Everyone recognizes it’s the creator class against the global stock market that rewards this attitude of growth at any expense.”

Writers, directors, producers and actors are now asking larger ideological questions. “Is tech altering the fabric of the industry?” asks the Oscar-nominated screenwriter. “More than a purely economic fight, this is a fight about values, about how we’re being treated.”

When writers struck 15 years ago, the economic impact of the 100-day work stoppage was around $2 billion, or $2.8 billion in 2023 dollars, affecting not just studios but also hotels, restaurants, construction and the other industries that serve Hollywood. The potential impact of a dual strike is unknown, but many in the industry have already seen their work opportunities dry up and have begun belt-tightening. “I’ve had no on-camera auditions since the WGA started striking,” adds Force.
“I was at Erewhon two days ago,” says the screenwriter. “And I was like, **** that. I just went back to Costco for the first time in two years.”

WBD popped 4% today, anyone see any news that would have caused this? Other than a few minor analyst updates, I don't see anything.
Off topic, but wow, WBD is really bouncing off a bottom, up 20% this week. Would have been a nice buy when I posted that question. Did I follow my own intuition, of course not. Instead of getting some at the bottom, my shares came to me at near the top with the split from T.

Off topic, but wow, WBD is really bouncing off a bottom, up 20% this week. Would have been a nice buy when I posted that question. Did I follow my own intuition, of course not. Instead of getting some at the bottom, my shares came to me at near the top with the split from T.
Not off topic at all, imo. Any news about other companies that compete with DIS - whether theme parks, cruise lines, movies, TV, streaming - is germane. For example, why was Comcast/Universal's Super Mario Brothers a $1.3 billion mega-blockbuster, while DIS' Lightyear a flop? What did they do different?

Why can NFLX make money at streaming when no one else seems able to? I think we need to study ALL of them to find out what's happening.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-box-office-projection-1235412010/

‘Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny’ To Ring Up Around $60M Opening: Here’s Why – Early Box Office Outlook
By Anthony D'Alessandro
Editorial Director/Box Office Editor
June 8, 2023 9:48am PDT

In the wake of world premiering in Cannes to lackluster film reviews at 50% Rotten, Disney/Lucasfilm’s Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is currently looking at a $60M+ domestic opening.

The movie opens on June 30 heading into what is conceivably a five-day play period given that Independence Day falls on a Tuesday.

Dial of Destiny‘s 3-day is down from the $100.1M 3-day of the last movie, 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull — and this latest sequel reps the finale for the entire franchise. Crystal Skull opened on a Thursday over a Memorial Day weekend earning in total over five days, $151.9M. Logan filmmaker James Mangold took over helming the finale from franchise architect Steven Spielberg. Currently, Dial of Destiny is tracking significantly with older guys over younger, which has many comping he pic to the Daniel Craig 007 finale, No Time to Die ($55.2M) and 2018’s Mission: Impossible – Fallout ($61.2M).

Some are saying a $70M start for Dial of Destiny — that’s quite a stretch. Realize that Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4 opened to $73.8M with double the tracking metrics that Dial of Destiny is showing here.

Disney will need to pick up the slack in the coming weeks in their marketing to get more interest from younger guys, their distraction now being Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse in theaters and the upcoming Warner Bros DC The Flash on June 16. However, that hard word of mouth out of Cannes is quite the hurdle. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which wasn’t beloved by many, settled at 77% certified fresh and a B CinemaScore versus the previous 1989 installment, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which earned 84% certified fresh from critics and a solid A CinemaScore.

With Dial of Destiny at a $60M 3-day, that’s easily the second-best start for the Indiana Jones franchise. In the box office era, Last Crusade opened to $29.3M 3-day ($46.9M over extended Memorial Day weekend) at 2,327 theaters. 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom bowed to $25.3M 3-day ($42.2M extended Memorial Day weekend) at 1,687 theaters. 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark‘s gross trajectory harkens back to the way blockbusters were made over a year: The pic opened to $8.3M at 1,078 theaters and by January 1982 earned $179.6M with an initial cume of $212.2M, lifetime gross of $248.1M.

Not off topic at all, imo. Any news about other companies that compete with DIS - whether theme parks, cruise lines, movies, TV, streaming - is germane. For example, why was Comcast/Universal's Super Mario Brothers a $1.3 billion mega-blockbuster, while DIS' Lightyear a flop? What did they do different?

Why can NFLX make money at streaming when no one else seems able to? I think we need to study ALL of them to find out what's happening.
I don't want to tread too much on your turf here as I don't own DIS stock but I would say Super Mario Brothers was a very safe play because it stuck to the nostalgia script and didn't try to break new ground. It was heavy on fan service and winks to the video game, which is really only what the audience wanted. Lightyear tried to be something different and the audience didn't want that. They wanted Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story and not Pixar's version of Interstellar. It also wasn't released by a company that had a streaming option that it had conditioned people to look towards for almost a full year. I think Disney is going to face a tremendous challenge that folks are just conditioned now to wait to see Disney movies on Disney+.

NFLX makes money because they have no other drains on their bottom line and they had a tremendous head start.

Way back in prehistoric times - actually only four months ago in February, 2023 - Bob Iger said at DIS' Q1 2023 earnings call that he was "excited" about the company's movie prospects for this year. So far, it ain't working.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/01/q1-fy23-earnings-transcript.pdf

Looking ahead, we are excited about our fantastic lineup of new films coming to theaters this year, starting with next week’s release of Marvel’s Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, followed by other highly anticipated theatrical titles including The Little Mermaid, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Pixar’s Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, and Disney’s Haunted
Mansion.

Way back in prehistoric times - actually only four months ago in February, 2023 - Bob Iger said at DIS' Q1 2023 earnings call that he was "excited" about the company's movie prospects for this year. So far, it ain't working.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/01/q1-fy23-earnings-transcript.pdf

Looking ahead, we are excited about our fantastic lineup of new films coming to theaters this year, starting with next week’s release of Marvel’s Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, followed by other highly anticipated theatrical titles including The Little Mermaid, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Pixar’s Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, and Disney’s Haunted
Mansion.
4 of the top 5 of top domestic movies of 2023 are Disney movies. 2 of the top 5 in the international markets are Disney movies. Disney issue is people might just be tired of Marvel and remakes. Yet international markets can't get enough of car crashes (Fast X) and fighting (John Wick 4).

I think Elemental and Haunted Mansion will be the real tests. I don't think Indy 5 will do all that well because people probably aren't interested in seeing elderly Indiana Jones.

I don't want to tread too much on your turf here as I don't own DIS stock but I would say Super Mario Brothers was a very safe play because it stuck to the nostalgia script and didn't try to break new ground. It was heavy on fan service and winks to the video game, which is really only what the audience wanted. Lightyear tried to be something different and the audience didn't want that. They wanted Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story and not Pixar's version of Interstellar. It also wasn't released by a company that had a streaming option that it had conditioned people to look towards for almost a full year. I think Disney is going to face a tremendous challenge that folks are just conditioned now to wait to see Disney movies on Disney+.

NFLX makes money because they have no other drains on their bottom line and they had a tremendous head start.
Good points. You have to have a good story to tell with a movie, no matter what else.

As far as me being a DIS stockholder, my few hundred shares aren't significant. I mostly bought them because I wanted to have some "ownership" of a company that has been a huge part of my life since I was a pre-school kid in the early 50s.

I want it to prosper, stay vibrant, be independent and creative like it has for most of its history.

We are all DIS fanatics, or we wouldn't spend out time hanging out with each other pouring out our hearts about the parks, cruises, movies, and tv.

That, my friend, is called "Brand Loyalty," a thing that's taught in biz schools all over the world, but only a few companies manage to earn. I pray that can continue for future generations.

4 of the top 5 of top domestic movies of 2023 are Disney movies. 2 of the top 5 in the international markets are Disney movies. Disney issue is people might just be tired of Marvel and remakes. Yet international markets can't get enough of car crashes (Fast X) and fighting (John Wick 4).

I think Elemental and Haunted Mansion will be the real tests. I don't think Indy 5 will do all that well because people probably aren't interested in seeing elderly Indiana Jones.

Yeah, I mean, Ant-Man and Guardians both performed in line with their previous installments, which were mid-tier Marvel movies:

Ant-Man: $519,311,965
Ant-Man & The Wasp: $622,674,139
Quantummania: $476,056,469

GOTG: $773,350,147
GOTGv2: $863,756,051
GOTGv3: $784,686,091

So, Quantummania came in a little low, but it's not catastrophis anyway. The budget was was around $200M so it did okay, though that budget is significantly higher than it's predecessors, so it's definitely the worst performing one.

Guardians Vol. 3 is also still playing, so it can tick up some. It was also well-received, unlike Quantumania, which was not.

Looks like the WBD move is mostly about debt reduction, their form friends at ATT loaded them with debt before the spinoff and now they are retiring it quicker than expected. And they are also going thru cost cutting similar to Dis. Whatever the reason, I'll take the uptick!

Looks like the WBD move is mostly about debt reduction, their form friends at ATT loaded them with debt before the spinoff and now they are retiring it quicker than expected. And they are also going thru cost cutting similar to Dis. Whatever the reason, I'll take the uptick!
FWIW

https://www.fool.com/investing/2023...hoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

Better Buy: Warner Bros. Discovery vs. Walt Disney
By Tom Wilton – Jun 8, 2023 at 9:53AM EDT

Key Points​

• The two entertainment giants are longtime rivals across a range of media platforms.
  • Warner Bros. Discovery has a larger debt-to-equity ratio than Walt Disney.
  • Disney's streaming efforts are not yet profitable, while Warner is exploring its own options.

Some really interesting articles under that site's Century of Disney heading:

https://www.polygon.com/century-of-disney

Here's a relevant one for our thread:

https://www.polygon.com/century-of-disney/23559556/disney-100-year-history
The Disney empire was built on 100 years of near implosions
From cartoons-for-hire to international corporate monolith, every decade has seen a different Disney

And one made for the interwebs of today:

https://www.polygon.com/century-of-disney/23707002/10-weirdest-walt-disney-conspiracy-theories

9 of the weirdest, most persistent Disney conspiracy theories

Death in Disney parks, a Disney fund for male pregnancy, and more Disney rumors that haunt the internet

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/warner-bros-discovery-stock-rises-for-second-straight-day.html

Warner Bros. Discovery stock rises for second straight day as company pays down debt
Published Thu, Jun 8 2023 - 3:08 PM EDT
Lillian Rizzo@Lilliannnn
Key Points
  • Warner Bros. Discovery’s stock jumped a second straight day after the company announced it paid down a chunk of its debt.
  • The media giant, which is saddled with a hefty debt load following the close of its merger last year, has been working to cut costs and make its streaming business profitable.
  • The debt paydown was overshadowed by the ouster of CNN’s CEO.
Warner Bros. Discovery saw its stock rise for a second straight day Thursday, after announcing it had paid down a portion of its debt load this week.

The financial update, announced Wednesday, had been overshadowed by the turmoil at its news outlet CNN, where CEO Chris Licht was ousted. Shares closed up nearly 7% Thursday after closing more than 8% higher Wednesday. The stock is up 49% so far this year.

The media giant has been contending with a heavy debt load stemming from the 2022 merger of Warner Bros. and Discovery. The company, which ended the first quarter with $49.5 billion in debt, has been in the midst of various cost-cutting initiatives such as and layoffs and content spending reductions.

In a public filing, Warner Bros. Discovery said it had repaid about $1.5 billion in debt on two of its loans. The company also announced it commenced a $500 million cash tender offer to purchase any or all of its floating rate notes, a portion of its debt that carries a high interest rate and matures in March 2024.

That resulted in $2.05 billion in second quarter debt reduction, about $1 billion more than Wells Fargo had forecast, according to Steven Cahall, an analyst at the bank.

The analyst noted that Warner Bros. Discovery guided that it would have roughly $930 million in second quarter free cash flow, after ending the first quarter with $2.6 billion in cash.
“We take the debt reduction to indicate management confidence in 2023 cash generation and deleveraging,” Cahall wrote.

Warner Bros. Discovery executives have said on recent earnings calls that the company is sticking with its goal of lowering its debt-to-EBITDA leverage to below four-times.

Whatever meaningful cash the company generates will likely go toward repaying debt, said a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to speak publicly. Public offers, such as the cash tender offer announced this week, will likely serve as the vehicle toward paying down debt, the person said.

Warner Bros. Discovery has also been working to make its streaming business profitable. CEO David Zaslav recently said on a company earnings call that the streaming business is expected to reach profitability in the U.S. in 2023, a year ahead of its expectations. The company recently relaunched and rebranded its flagship streaming service as Max, combining content from HBO and its portfolio of cable-TV networks like the Discovery Channel and TLC.

During the first quarter Warner Bros. Discovery had reported $10.7 billion in revenue, as well as a net loss of $1.1 billion.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-disneys-hotstar-makes-viewing-072709532.html

UPDATE 4-Disney bets on free mobile cricket streaming in India in battle with JioCinema
Munsif Vengattil and Aditya Kalra
Fri, June 9, 2023 at 2:27 AM CDT
By Munsif Vengattil and Aditya Kalra

NEW DELHI, June 9 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co's Hotstar will offer free streaming of cricket tournaments in India on mobile devices, a move that follows rival JioCinema's recent success in garnering millions of viewers with a similar strategy in the cricket-crazy nation.

Hotstar said on Friday it would offer the Asia Cup and ICC Men's Cricket World Cup tournaments at no cost to users. Disney once offered cricket on its platform for free, but has required users to subscribe to a paid plan since 2020.
Disney earlier had digital rights for the Indian Premier League (IPL), one of the world's most lucrative annual sporting properties. But JioCinema, run by Indian billionaire Mukesh Ambani's Viacom18, spent $2.9 billion to bag those rights and then rolled it out for free on the streaming platform.

The free offering will reach more than 540 million smartphone users, Disney said on Friday, adding it was aimed at making the matches "accessible to as many mobile users in India".

The cricket matches, however, will continue to be paid when accessed on TV or via website.

The strategy shift from Disney comes as rivalry with JioCinema heats up. Ahead of the IPL matches that concluded in May, Disney used ads to promote viewing of the games on TVs, for which it had rights, while JioCinema countered with ads to lure users to its free web streaming and mobile offering.

While JioCinema has started charging users for premium content, including for the recent Hollywood content deal it struck with Warner Bros and NBCUniversal, its executives have said IPL streaming will continue to be offered at no cost.
The viewership battle is raging as cricket is the most popular game in the world's top populous nation, where the bulk of digital consumption is driven by smartphones with an estimated 700 million users.

Research firm CLSA has estimated Disney Hotstar's subscriber base shrank by nearly 5 million users in India after it lost the digital rights for IPL.

Elara Capital analyst Karan Taurani labeled Disney's move as a "desperate" attempt to garner lost users, but warned free cricket - be it by JioCinema or Disney - sends a negative signal for the industry.

"If continued over the longer term, free cricket offerings may magnify losses for streaming platforms or lead to consolidation, as many platforms may not be able to survive with lower revenue per user," he said.

India's streaming industry has been growing rapidly, with Netflix and Amazon Prime among the key players.
Media Partners Asia says Disney+ Hotstar leads the market as of March end despite the slump in subscribers due to the loss of IPL rights, accounting for more than 40% of the total user base in India. (Reporting by Munsif Vengattil in New Delhi and Priya Sagar in Bengaluru; editing by Janane Venkatraman, Jason Neely and Sriraj Kalluvila)

https://www.reuters.com/business/me...n-box-office-magic-with-elemental-2023-06-13/

Disney's Pixar seeks return of box office magic with 'Elemental'
By Dawn Chmielewski and Lisa Richwine
June 13, 2023 - 5:21 AM CDT

June 13 (Reuters) - When Pixar Animation Studios releases its 27th feature film in theaters on Friday, the pioneering studio behind blockbuster movies such as "Toy Story," "Cars" and "Finding Nemo" will be under pressure to demonstrate it has not lost its Midas touch.

The stakes are high for "Elemental," a tale of overcoming outward differences. The movie is projected to debut with a modest $31 million to $41 million this weekend in the U.S., according to the Box Office Pro website. That is well shy of the recent $120.5 million haul for Sony’s critically acclaimed animated hit "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse."

Pixar is looking to rebound from the box office disappointment of 2022 release "Lightyear," the origin story of "Toy Story" hero Buzz Lightyear. The movie brought in an earthbound $226.7 million in global ticket sales, a fraction of the $1 billion take for 2019's "Toy Story 4."

"Judging Pixar on the recent past, history would not be kind," said SVB MoffettNathanson media analyst Michael Nathanson.

The director and producer of "Lightyear" were laid off last month, Reuters first reported, as parent company Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) shed 7,000 jobs across the company in a cost-cutting effort.

"Elemental" director Peter Sohn acknowledged he feels pressure to deliver a box-office hit, particularly since his movie is among the few summer titles based on an original story. The film was inspired by Sohn's appreciation for his Korean immigrant parents, a theme he hopes will resonate with audiences.

"This whole film was made to connect, and we hope it does," Sohn said in an interview with Reuters Television.

Meanwhile, rival studios are riding high with animated films.

Comcast Corp's (CMCSA.O) Universal Pictures raked in $1.3 billion in worldwide ticket sales with its video-game adaptation, "The Super Mario Bros. Movie," and Sony Pictures Animation (6758.T) struck box-office gold with Spider-Man, one of Disney’s own characters.

“It used to be that when a Pixar film was coming out, it could be an original title that didn't even need to be based on pre-existing (characters)," said Box Office Pro senior analyst Shawn Robbins, "and it could still open like a mini-blockbuster, if not a full-fledged blockbuster."

"I think that's changed now, especially because there's more competition," Robbins added.

Pixar had no comment.

The pandemic, and former Disney Chief Executive Bob Chapek’s response, dealt Pixar a double whammy.

The COVID-19 outbreak undercut the theatrical run of March 2020 release "Onward," which brought in an underwhelming $146.2 million worldwide. Pixar's "Soul" in December 2020, "Luca" in June 2021 and "Turning Red" in March 2022 all debuted on the Disney+ streaming service in the U.S.

Disney said the direct-to-home strategy boosted sign-ups for Disney+ and put the movies in front of large audiences sheltering at home. "Turning Red" remains the most-watched film on Disney+ globally during its first three days.

But the move dealt a blow to creatives who had hoped their films would be seen on the big screen, according to one Pixar director who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"Elemental" is set in Element City, where Fire, Water, Earth and Air characters live together. An unexpected friendship between Fire and Water borrows from director Sohn’s relationship with his Italian-American wife. Sohn initially hid the relationship from his parents. "My grandmother’s dying words were literally, ‘Marry Korean!'" Sohn recounted.

Reviews of "Elemental" were mixed after it debuted at the Cannes Film Festival but have turned more positive. As of Monday, 76% of film critics gave the movie a positive review, according to the Rotten Tomatoes website.

That message of racial harmony reaches theaters as a segment of the country has branded Disney's themes as too "woke" - being alert to racial and social injustice - posing a potential box-office challenge.

Sohn said the movie, which was in the works for seven years, was inspired by a desire to honor his parents' experiences.

"They came from another country, coming here with nothing, and made a life for us," he said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/avatar-3-pushed-2024-disney-162044869.html

'Avatar 3' pushed to 2024 and Disney sets two 'Star Wars' films for 2026
JAKE COYLE
Tue, June 13, 2023 at 11:20 AM CDT

NEW YORK (AP) — “Avatar: The Way of Water” may have finally arrived in theaters in 2022, but that long parade of “Avatar” delays isn't done, yet.

The Walt Disney Co. on Tuesday pushed the release of “Avatar 3” a year, bumping it from December 2024 to December 2025. The timeline is stretched even further for the next planned installments. “Avatar 4” is now slated to hit theaters in December 2029; “Avatar 5” is set to arrive in December 2031.

If those dates hold, the “Avatar” film series will have stretched across the first four decades of the century. Director James Cameron, who launched “Avatar” in 2009, has said he may not direct films 4 and 5. By December 2031, the 68-year-old Cameron would be 77. “Avatar” and “Avatar: The Way of Water” have collectively made more than $5.2 billion at the box office.

“Each ‘Avatar’ film is an exciting but epic undertaking that takes time to bring to the quality level we as filmmakers strive for and audiences have come to expect,” "Avatar" producer Jon Landau wrote on Twitter.

Disney on Tuesday shuffled plans for some of its biggest franchises. Two “Star Wars” film are planned for 2026. One was pushed from December 2025 to May 2026. Another was added for December 2026. The studio hasn't announced details on either untitled production.

The Marvel calendar was also remade Tuesday, as the studio continues to reshape its coming plans in its superhero kingdom. Most notably, “Avengers: Kang Dynasty" is being postponed from May 2025 to May 2026. That film, a pivotal release for Marvel, stars Jonathan Majors, the actor who has been charged with domestic violence. Majors' attorney has denied the charges and says he's innocent.

Other shifts in Marvel releases include most films being delayed a few months. “Captain America: Brave New World” will open in July 2024 instead of May 2024, after which comes “Thunderbolts” in December 2024, “Blade” in February 2025 and “Fantastic Four” in May 2025.

From Disney's 20th Century, another “Alien" film is now on the calendar, dated for August next year. And one movie is moving up: “Deadpool 3" will debut May 2024 instead of November next year.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/disney...bolts-blade-avengers-kang-dynasty-1235415782/

‘Thunderbolts’, ‘Blade’, ‘Avengers: Kang Dynasty’, ‘Secret Wars’ Among Disney Release Date Changes Due To WGA Strike
By Anthony D'Alessandro
Editorial Director/Box Office Editor
June 13, 2023 8:30am PDT

It feels like Covid all over again, but it’s not. Disney has just made a slew of release-date changes, many due to the impact of the WGA strike and screenplays not being ready and productions paused.

We already know that Thunderbolts and Blade are waiting the strike out before rolling cameras. Scripts aren’t fully ready in regards to the new Avengers movies. Avengers: Kang Dynasty goes from May 2, 2025, to May 1, 2026. Avengers: Secret Wars is also pushed another year from May 1, 2026, to May 7, 2027.

We told you that 2023 largely was safe in regards to staying intact (knock on wood), but the ramifications of the writers strike and productions paused will be felt throughout 2024 and beyond. Commence the great release-date shuffle by the motion picture studios.

Also the other delay here with the MCU titles is that Disney wants to make sure they’re better — better than what they’ve been doing from script stage to VFX in the wake of fan pans and lower post-pandemic box office results for such films as Eternals, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love & Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

First major change is that the untitled Deadpool movie will fire off next summer, May 3, while Captain America: Brave New World, gets pushed to July 26, 2024. Thunderbolts stays in 2024, moving off July 26 to December 20. Deadpool 3, in a vote of confidence moves up from Nov. 8, 2024.

Blade goes from September 6, 2024, to Feb. 14, 2025 — that Valentine’s Day/near Presidents Day frame which has been a sweet spot for MCU.

Fantastic Four shifts deeper into 2025, from February 14 to May 2.

Avatar 3 officially is delayed a year from December 20, 2024, to December 19, 2025. Which thus pushes other sequels from James Cameron as Avatar 4 shifts from December 18, 2026, to December 21, 2029, and Avatar 5 goes from December 22, 2028, to December 19, 2031. While these scripts already are locked, the shift of movies due to the WGA strike is pushing the Avatar sequels around. Producer Jon Landau said the following today about the moves:

The Star Wars movies, which still are being baked, are getting kicked down the road like cans: One of them goes from December 19, 2025, to May 22, 2026. A another untitled one gets added on December 18, 2026.

The new live-action Moana movie with Dwayne Johnson has staked out the summer date of June 27, 2025, about a week earlier from its previous July 2 date.

The new Alien movie, which is shooting overseas, takes the Disney RSVP date of August 16, 2024.

The Rami Malek movie The Amateur from 20th Century Studios takes the old date of Deadpool 3, that being November 8, 2024. The pic, directed by James Hawes, follows a CIA cryptographer who, after his wife is killed in a London terrorist attack, demands his bosses go after them. When it becomes clear they won’t act due to conflicting internal priorities, he blackmails the agency into training him and letting him go after them himself.

Disney also has RSVP’d the following dates for untitled films: September 6, 2024; March 21, 2025 (instead of April 11, 2025); a Marvel movie for July 25, 2025; August 8, 2025 (instead of August 15 that year); and an MCU title on November 7, 2025. A Disney movie that was set for May 22, 2026, has been removed from the schedule.

The delays are definitely understandable with the strike not settled, but it's wild just how stretched out the post-End Game MCU stuff is getting. Pre-COVID, the big success of Disney's MCU was serial storytelling in big $ movie theatres. Getting multiple blockbusters per year out of the same "universe." The next Captain America will now come out 3+ years after "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" on Disney+. Blade will now be 3+ years after the Eternals teaser.

Same problem with DIS's Star Wars property too. There's a lot of good storytelling that's been concentrated on D+, which like many I just pay my annual subscription for and adding a new show isn't getting me to give them more revenue. Meanwhile there's tangible droughts of things to go see in theatres (which I also still like doing... when there's something new to see) where DIS does get incremental $ from me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter