DIS/Dreams Unlimited China Adventure Oct 14th - 25th 2017 SOLD OUT!!!

Just had another thought. John had mentioned that for those of us doing the Tokyo add on we will need to get insurance to cover this part since it is out of the ABD realm. My question is do we need to include the flight to Tokyo and then Tokyo to Hong Kong since this is not part of the ABD trip, or include just the Tokyo to Hong Kong part since the transpacific part would have occurred either way. We booked all airfare on our own this time but I am presuming that at least Shanghai home will be covered by the ABD insurance coverage that I already have.

Chris

Does anyone have a non-ABD travel insurance company they would recommend? I've been doing research and my conclusion is all of them are a little sketchy.

Hi. My name is Laurie and I like to make lists.

I was thinking it might be useful to compile some of the Tokyo information in one post. I will update as people post in the thread, or you can message me your info and I'll add you. Sorry if I missed anyone!

Pre-ABD Tokyo adventurers:

Kevin (DisneyKevin) & John (WebmasterJohn)
Jeff (OKW Lover) & Val
Brian & Laurie (Sarabi's Cubs)
Michael & Cynthia (belle41379)
Chris (christannj), Chuck & Amy
Michael (Merry Mouseketeer)
Rob (kuzco-like)
Steven (elcid3)
Chandra (bamagoofy)
Dave (macman752) & Sally
Ian (Ian&Diane) & Diane
John (tardis1029) & Micki
Karilynn (malia78) & William
Jim (jmccormick) & Linda

10/14 Flights from Tokyo to Hong Kong:

out of Haneda -
Cathay Pacific #543 10:35am:
Michael & Cynthia
Brian & Laurie
Dave & Sally

HK Express early am:
Karilynn & William

out of Narita -
Air Japan #809 10:05am:
Chris, Chuck & Amy
John & Micki
Steven

Vanilla Air 10:45
Ian & Diane

Laurie

Question: Is Air Japan also known as ANA?

I've used insure my trip as well for several non Disney trips....yes we take those too.... And although I fortunately have never needed to file a claim, I think that they are reasonable and have a good rating.

Chris

I believe so. I think Air Japan is a subsidiary of ANA and that their planes are marked ANA. Japan Airlines is a competitor. I have had good luck with the site Kevin recommended above.

Laurie

From what I understand Air Japan is a separate airline operating under the ANA brand. In some ways it's similar to how the big U.S. airlines work with smaller ones on some routes (ie. United has United Express which is really just a combination of 9 separate regional airlines).

Vaccinations

Hi, we have just been to discuss our vaccinations and were recommended to have:

Hepatitis A, Tetanus (which comes as a 3-in-1 vaccine and includes diphtheria, tetanus and polio) and Typhoid all free on our NHS system (typhoid mainly because it was free and would not hurt to have this) - so we’ve had these today.

They pointed us in the direction of the Fit For Travel website (www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations.aspx) and suggested we speak to our Insurers to see if they have any conditions in relation to having specific vaccinations before travel.

We have to consider whether we also need: Japanese Encephalitis, Tick Borne Encephalitis, Hepatitis B, Cholera and Rabies, a quick look would suggest we won’t need these.

Japanese Encephalitis: spread through the bite of an infected mosquito. This mosquito breeds in rice paddies and mainly bites between dusk and dawn. Risk is higher for long stay travellers to rural areas, particularly if unable to avoid mosquito bites

Cholera: spread through consumption of contaminated water and food. More common during floods and after natural disasters, in areas with very poor sanitation and lack of clean drinking water. It would be unusual for travelers to contract cholera if they take basic precautions with food and water and maintain a good standard of hygiene.

Hepatitis B: spread through infected blood and blood products, contaminated needles and medical instruments and sexual intercourse. Risk is higher for those at occupational risk, long stays or frequent travel, children (exposed through cuts and scratches) and individuals who may need, or request, surgical procedures abroad.

Tick-borne Encephalitis: spread mainly through the bite of an infected tick. Risk is higher during the warmer months, for those exposed outside in forests, woods, and grassy areas (eg forestry workers, campers, hikers).

Rabies: spread through the saliva of an infected animal, usually through a bite, scratch or lick on broken skin. Particularly dogs and related species, but also bats. Risk is higher for those going to remote areas (who may not be able to promptly access appropriate treatment in the event of a bite), long stays, those at higher risk of contact with animals and bats, and children. Even when pre-exposure vaccine has been received, urgent medical advice should be sought after any animal or bat bite.

Hope this is of some help.

Ian & Diane

Vaccinations

Hi, we have just been to discuss our vaccinations and were recommended to have:

Hope this is of some help.

Ian & Diane

I hate when reality gets in the way of having fun. Thanks for the info, and yes, it is of help.

Last edited:
Unfortunately at this point in time, Chuck and I need to keep working to afford all of the trips that Kevin comes up with. We will be in awe of those of you who have gone ahead and transitioned to retirement and will probably be trying to become adopted by you. For the time being, could everybody one time post their name so that I can associate a name with their disboards name.

Chris
Linda and Jim

Well, I finally booked my flights. I'll be joining the group on Air Japan #809 out of Narita. Michael and I (well, Carol actually did all the work...thank you so much!) managed to coordinate our flights so we'll be flying together on United. Safety in numbers, I suppose. Hopefully we don't encounter any kind of disruption such as this: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/23/gentleman-in-red-maga-cap-disr.html. Just over a week until I get to WDW for the 20th. Looking forward to meeting those of you who'll be there!

For the time being, could everybody one time post their name so that I can associate a name with their disboards name.
Jeff & Val - but then you probably knew that already. :chat:

Kevin -

When you have a moment, could you edit post #1 to indicate that post #319 has information about who is participating in the Tokyo pre-trip and flights from Tokyo to Hong Kong. Don't want it to get lost as we keep adding to the thread.

Thanks!
Laurie

Sorry, Kevin, I didn't realize from your earlier message that you would be unavailable for the whole day. I am sure the group would like to have you and John there, and I imagine you have a lot going on during the week. Please let us know your availability so we can arrange a date and time. Thanks!

Michael, are we still on for 6/1 or is another date and time in the works?

Sorry, Kevin, I didn't realize from your earlier message that you would be unavailable for the whole day. I am sure the group would like to have you and John there, and I imagine you have a lot going on during the week. Please let us know your availability so we can arrange a date and time. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't know what my schedule looks like next week.

I think I will just "plug in" where needed.

Please don't change your meet for us. We will see y'all that evening.

Michael, are we still on for 6/1 or is another date and time in the works?

Michael posted on the 20th anniversary thread. China ABD Meet-Up is still on Thursday, 06/01, 1 pm at the China Pavilion in EPCOT Center.

I hope you all of you have a wonderful time this week.

It was nice to meet several of you at the 20th Anniversary Megameet and talk about our trip. One of the things we talked about was setting up a day/time to begin talking informally about the trip online and getting to know each other a little more. We could do this via Google Hangout. You would need to set up a gmail account, which is free. It seems to be a combination of Skype and Mixlr by providing a chat room. There are also video and phone call options like Skype. It looks like I can create a group, such as China ABD 2017, add your email addresses, and then send out invitations to the hangout.

Is having an informal chat time about the trip something you'd be interested in doing?

It was nice to meet several of you at the 20th Anniversary Megameet and talk about our trip. One of the things we talked about was setting up a day/time to begin talking informally about the trip online and getting to know each other a little more. We could do this via Google Hangout. You would need to set up a gmail account, which is free. It seems to be a combination of Skype and Mixlr by providing a chat room. There are also video and phone call options like Skype. It looks like I can create a group, such as China ABD 2017, add your email addresses, and then send out invitations to the hangout.

Is having an informal chat time about the trip something you'd be interested in doing?

Hi Michael,

Sounds like a good idea. We'll set up and account.

Can we just ask you bear in mind the time difference when deciding a time - as we are in the UK, thanks
Ian & Diane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter