Dining Reviews Sep 2008 & Feb 2009 Update 8/13 - Complete!

I have to give you grief that you said you were 25 and "old" in the same post! :rotfl2: I do think that they shouldn't have the dishes and dustpans in your face. Ugh. Chef Mickey's serves the typical food I've seen at other breakfast buffets. That could have been my last breakfast at Yacht Club Galley (pre-Captain's Grill), but I had Mickey waffles, too. ;)

What are you dates for Dec trip?
My December trip will be in either 2011 or 2012. I like to plan ahead. :rotfl: Unless they don't have free dining next fall, then I might go in Dec next year.

I have to give you grief that you said you were 25 and "old" in the same post! :rotfl2: I do think that they shouldn't have the dishes and dustpans in your face. Ugh. Chef Mickey's serves the typical food I've seen at other breakfast buffets. That could have been my last breakfast at Yacht Club Galley (pre-Captain's Grill), but I had Mickey waffles, too. ;)
I think my being old comes from working with 16 and 17 years old. Of course when they say ha ha I'm old, I reply with ha ha I can drink. :lmao:

After breakfast I spent the remainder of the day at Magic Kingdom, where I saw Move It Shake It Celebrate It, which had premiered that day. I thought it was really cool that it had premiered on my birthday.

I had a 5:50 dinner ADR at California Grill, and arrived there early, just as they were opening. There was a man there, and I couldn't tell if he was in line or not, since he seemed to just be standing there. Not wanting to accidently cut ahead of him I asked him if he was in line to check in. He told me quite rudely that this was not the check-in desk. :confused3

Anyway, once I did get checked in I was taken upstairs and seated immediatly at the same table I always get. I like the table a lot, the castle is right in front of me, and Spaceship Earth is visible behind me.

My server today was Dale, and he was very pleasant and attentive.

I was served the same bread as my last visit there, which I ate very little of since it was sourdough, and that's not one of my favorites.

For my appetizer I ordered the seared loin of rabbit.

1414.jpg

There were two nices pieces of rabbit, served over caramelized fennel and truffled panisse, and herb-game sauce. This was so good. The rabbit was perfectly cooked, (or at least I thought it was, I don't really know how rabbit is supposed to be cooked,) but it wasn't dried out, and it was very moist. The whole dish went very well together.

For my entree I had the oak-fired filet of beef.

1419.jpg

It was covered in a terriyaki barbecue sauce, which was a bit strong and overpowering, and there could of been a lot less of it, but the meat was good, and very nicely cooked, (but I think the filets I've had at other signature restaurants are better then this was.) It was served with cheesy mashed potatoes and broccolini, which were both good.

I decided to splurge before dessert and ordered the cheese plate OOP.

1421.jpg

The five cheeses were brillat savarin, mimolette, cravot, brebicet, and montbriac. I liked all five of them, though none were big enough standouts that I remember them clearly now. Luckily I now have a cheese journal, so after this trip I'll be able to give much better descriptions of all the cheeses I try.

For dessert I had the "trio of temptation."

1423.jpg

This was the no sugar added option. It was a cheesecake with pistachio cookie, white chocolate mousse, and strawberries with mojito sabyon. That's how it was listed on the menu anyway, but do you see any strawberries? Me neither. This was good, but nothing amazing. I have to say, aside from my first visit to California Grill, none of the desserts I've had there are amazing and have had me wanting more.

After dinner it was only about 7:00 and Wishes wasn't until 8:00. I could've hung around and seen them if I wanted, however I had been on a Wishes cruise the night before, and had seen Wishes several times from CA Grill before anyway, so decided to head back to Pop since I was leaving the next day and had all my packing to do.

One more thing, when I recieved the bill, the entire meal was covered with the plan. I don't know why, since I had every intention of paying for the cheese plate and had even said when I ordered it that I was going to just pay for it out of pocket. So either the plan did cover it all, or Dale counted the cheese plate as my dessert on the plan, and comped me the trio for my birthday. Either way I was happy, and left a nice tip.

Coming up - Crystal Palace

Another wonderful unpdate. I just booked our December trip 2 nights ago...we decided to stay at Contemporary (got free dinning) and upgraded to Deluxe dinning. California Grill is one of the place we will be dinning...I'm having a very hard time planning b/c I want to try a new restaurant but would like to go back to couple of favorites and then my son wants to go as many character as we can. We will try going to all breakfast character meal, lunch and dinner we will try some new ones.

Another wonderful unpdate. I just booked our December trip 2 nights ago...we decided to stay at Contemporary (got free dinning) and upgraded to Deluxe dinning. California Grill is one of the place we will be dinning...I'm having a very hard time planning b/c I want to try a new restaurant but would like to go back to couple of favorites and then my son wants to go as many character as we can. We will try going to all breakfast character meal, lunch and dinner we will try some new ones.
I think that's the way to do it. I rarely do character dinners. Crystal Palace is really good for lunch though.

We have done 3 (LTT, Chef Mickey...dinner food was bad and 1900 Park Fare food was awful but the character interaction was magical. Cinderella came to our table and asked my son to dance (he was 2 1/2 at that time)...he danced with her afterwards the stepsitters came to our table and joke around with him that he can dance with them but my son said no thank you...only one dance and then prince charming came over to tell my son don't take Cinderella away from him. He had the best time but I really don't want to go back b/c the food was bad. My husband actually enjoy the CP buffet at lunch (he loves the salmon and grilled chicken). We haven't tried Garden Grill....there is so many good places at Epcot and I feel like I'm wasting a meal (my husband is not really into Thanksgiving food...he did it for LTT b/c I wanted to go for the dinner before we went to the halloween party...glad we did since they closed done the characters). Thanks for all report b/c your food report is helping me try new places...The Wave, Yak and Yeti, Tutto and California Grill. But the restuarants we did love but we will have to skip this time around are Narcoossee's, Citricos, and Jiko.

We have done 3 (LTT, Chef Mickey...dinner food was bad and 1900 Park Fare food was awful but the character interaction was magical. Cinderella came to our table and asked my son to dance (he was 2 1/2 at that time)...he danced with her afterwards the stepsitters came to our table and joke around with him that he can dance with them but my son said no thank you...only one dance and then prince charming came over to tell my son don't take Cinderella away from him. He had the best time but I really don't want to go back b/c the food was bad. My husband actually enjoy the CP buffet at lunch (he loves the salmon and grilled chicken). We haven't tried Garden Grill....there is so many good places at Epcot and I feel like I'm wasting a meal (my husband is not really into Thanksgiving food...he did it for LTT b/c I wanted to go for the dinner before we went to the halloween party...glad we did since they closed done the characters). Thanks for all report b/c your food report is helping me try new places...The Wave, Yak and Yeti, Tutto and California Grill. But the restuarants we did love but we will have to skip this time around are Narcoossee's, Citricos, and Jiko.
Plan another trip. ;)

Wow, my last dining review. At least until October. ;)

I was kind of sad that it was my last day when I woke up, but I was also anxious to go home due to stuff going on there. But it was my last day in Disney, and at that point I didn't think I'd be returning again until fall of 2010.

I spent the morning in the Magic Kingdom, and really just focused on meeting Ariel and Tinker Bell that morning, and doing some Fantasyland attractions "one more time" before my lunch, since I knew I'd have to leave right after lunch.

My ADR at Crystal Palace was for 11:35, five minutes after they "opened" which is really just five minutes from when they switch over the breakfast buffet to lunch.

Even arriving early I did have a bit of a wait. I wasn't too worried since I had a few hours until my DME pickup time, I figured as long as I was out of the Magic Kingdom by 1:30 I'd be fine, and I knew lunch would only take me an hour, so no worries.

When I was seated it was about 11:45, and I was starving. I hadn't eaten breakfast that morning, though I had spent the rest of my snack credits, all thriteen of them, (I had only used one snack credit the whole week prior to today,) on fudge and packaged snacks. Plus I wasn't getting dinner tonight since I'd be on a plane at dinner time, so I wanted to eat as much as possible.

As soon as my server greeted me, (can't find her name on any receipts or in my journal,) and I had ordered my diet Coke, I headed straight up to the buffet.

1482.jpg

I had a piece of the ancho chile-rubbed salmon, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, broccoli, corn spoonbread, and pasta primevara.

Most of this stuff I had tried on my first lunch visit to Crystal Palace, and liked it enough to get again. I sang praises about the salmon, and tried unsuccessfully to recreate it at home, but this was just as good as the first time, and I could've just eaten this and been happy. Until I tried the pasta primevara. It was so good, and may have replaced the salmon as my favorite thing to eat at Crystal Palace. It was in a very creamy alfredo-type sauce with I think feta cheese, and I swear there were vegetables in it, though there aren't any visible in the picture.

The rest of the food on the plate was good too. The macaroni and cheese was the best I've had at a buffet, and the mashed potatoes and broccoli both had a strong garlic flavor, but I love garlic, so for me, these were really good. The corn spoonbread I loved the first time, and once again found it quite enjoyable.

1487.jpg

On my second plate I had some more pasta primevara and corn spoonbread as well as somen citrus-marinated London broil, bbq pork, and Asian curry noodles. The noodles were the only thing I had at lunch that I didn't think were that good. They weren't bad, they just weren't very flavorful. The steak was good, though it was well done, it wasn't dried out, and the pork was very good as well.

Then it was time for dessert!

1494.jpg

I had two pieces of chocolate pecan squares, flan, lemon tart, cheesecake brownie, and a double chocolate brownie. All of the desserts were good, my favorite being the chocolate pecan squares.

I also had a small dish of ice cream.

1497.jpg

Look at the rainbowey sprinkles! I think this may have been the only ice cream I had all week, since I know I never got around to having a Mickey bar. :guilty: Oh well, I'll have two this trip to make up for it.

My server also suprised me with this;

1500.jpg

I also got a card signed by all the Pooh characters.

The characters that day were Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, and Eeyore. The character interaction was good as always, and I had my picture taken with each.

Crystal Palace is one of my favorite restaurants, and I am bummed that I wasn't able to get an ADR there for this trip.

A wonderful update and I want to really THANK YOU...I have enjoyed your food TR and loved the pictures and details you have put into the food report. CP is my husband and my son favorite lunch character buffet. My husband loves that salmon. I think we might have to eat there 2x in our December trip.

A wonderful update and I want to really THANK YOU...I have enjoyed your food TR and loved the pictures and details you have put into the food report. CP is my husband and my son favorite lunch character buffet. My husband loves that salmon. I think we might have to eat there 2x in our December trip.
Aww, you're so sweet! :goodvibes I might have to eat there twice next year, depending on how many days I have, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Maybe twice for lunch. :rolleyes1

I just discovered your thread so I'm not very far into it yet. But it's great so far. I love the photos. Hopefully it will help us decide on where to make ADRs for our next trip.

Do you have anymore trips planned? Sorry if you've mentioned it. I'm only on page 13 of this report so I have a long way to go. Lol!

I just discovered your thread so I'm not very far into it yet. But it's great so far. I love the photos. Hopefully it will help us decide on where to make ADRs for our next trip.

Do you have anymore trips planned? Sorry if you've mentioned it. I'm only on page 13 of this report so I have a long way to go. Lol!
Yes, I'm going again in a couple of months, and then probably again late next year.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your always excellent reviews with us!:goodvibes
Thank you!

Thank you very much for your wonderful reviews!! :goodvibes I never had CP on my radar, but perhaps it might be worth a try some day. I am just not really into buffets, but your food looked delicious. :goodvibes

Have a wonderful trip in October! I will be looking forward to your reviews! :thumbsup2

I totally agree with your filet at Cali Grill statement, the BBQ sauce was just way too strong and overpowered the beef...

So I think I asked you this before but when are you going in Oct? Are we going to be there the same time (I will be there Oct 22 - Nov 1)...what are your dining plans?

If we are going to be there together I would love to meet up for a drink or two :yay:

Thank you very much for your wonderful reviews!! :goodvibes I never had CP on my radar, but perhaps it might be worth a try some day. I am just not really into buffets, but your food looked delicious. :goodvibes

Have a wonderful trip in October! I will be looking forward to your reviews! :thumbsup2
It really is very good, and I'm not really big on buffets either, except I love Crystal Palace and Boma.

I totally agree with your filet at Cali Grill statement, the BBQ sauce was just way too strong and overpowered the beef...

So I think I asked you this before but when are you going in Oct? Are we going to be there the same time (I will be there Oct 22 - Nov 1)...what are your dining plans?

If we are going to be there together I would love to meet up for a drink or two :yay:
I'll send you a PM.

Just because I'm bored, here is a recap of my favorites and least favorites all week. Note - some of my least favorites weren't bad, they just weren't as much to my liking, or kind of boring compared to others.

Favorite Bread - Yachtsman Steakhouse
Least Favorite - Raglan Road / Ohana Dinner
Favorite Soup - Carrot Ginger (Boma) / Coconut Curry (Boma)
Least Favorite - Tomato Gin (Raglan Road)
Favorite Character Meal - Crystal Palace Lunch
Least Favorite - Cape May Cafe
Favorite Cheese Plate - Citricos
Least Favorite - Artist Point
Favorite Dip - Creamy Feta (Spoodles)
Least Favorite - Spinach (Rainforest Cafe)
Favorite Seafood Appetizer - Lobster & Shrimp Cakes (CA Grill) Seafood Salad (Yachtsman Steakhouse) Shrimp Trio (GF Cafe)
Least Favorite - Cod Cake (Coral Reef) Buttermilk Fried Shrimp (Narcoossees)
Favorite Crab Cake - Narcoossees
Least Favorite - Prime Time Cafe
Favorite Salad - Tomato Stack (Le Cellier)
Least Favorite - Field Greens (Rose & Crown)
Favorite Steak - Filet Mignon (Yachtsman Steakhouse)
Least Favorite - Prime Rib (1900 Park Fare)
Favorite Seafood Entree - Chili-rubbed Salmon (Crystal Palace) Citrus & Peppercorn Tuna (Flying Fish) Salmon (Brown Derby)
Least Favorite - Lobster Salad (Coral Reef) Lobster Tail (Narcoossees)

There are more categories I'll add later, including desserts!

WOW! I'm catching up on so many dining reviews. Your pics are just fabulous! YUM. Cant wait to go back. Thank you.:flower3::)

Great food report! I enjoyed it! I do think that it is HILARIOUS that you weredepressed over turning 25... I turned 29 this year but ALL YEAR I THOUGHT THAT I WAS TURNING 30 AND NO ONE CORRECTED ME- NOT EVEN MY HUSBAND. How funny is that! I mean what kinda moron am I?! My Mom finally told me a week before my birthday that I wasn't turning 30. :idea:LOL! Good Lord I am so Blond! And for real, I am brunette but I swear God shoulda made me a blonde.... It looks like you had a blast over your 25th birthday celebration! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter