Dining Reviews Sep 2008 & Feb 2009 Update 8/13 - Complete!

wow, your tastebuds must be dancing for joy with all the amazing things you have tasted :thumbsup2

You are making me soooo happy that I booked Citrico's for Oct :lovestruc

another great update...thank you enjoying your review. I love Citricos but my husband likes Narcoossee's better.

wow, your tastebuds must be dancing for joy with all the amazing things you have tasted :thumbsup2
Right now my tastebuds are craving some Disney dining. Only a couple months to go until they get what they want again!

my mouth is now watering... citricos looks amazing!
It is such a nice restaurant.

You are making me soooo happy that I booked Citrico's for Oct :lovestruc

I'm happy to be trying Citricos for the first time in October!:thumbsup2
I hope you both enjoy your meals. :goodvibes

another great update...thank you enjoying your review. I love Citricos but my husband likes Narcoossee's better.
I like Citricos slightly better then Citricos. If I had to rank all the signature restaurants in order it would probably go;

California Grill and Citricos
Narcoossees, Flying Fish, and Yachtsman Steakhouse
Jiko and Artist Point

Another day in the Magic Kingdom, and I had an 11:55 ADR for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. I was ready for lunch (I skipped breakfast most mornings,) before that, and showed up at the restaurant as soon as it opened, which was only at 11:30, so not too early from my ADR time anyway, and was seated within five minutes.

My server today was Cathi, and she was very nice.

I wanted the fried cheese for my appetizer, though it was listed on the menu as "for two," so I didn't know if I'd be allowed to get it since I was just one person. I asked Cathi about it and she said no problem.

717.jpg

There were two types of cheese, mozerella, which is what I'm used to when I get fried cheese, and cheddar. The cheddar was good, but I liked the mozerella better. There was definatly enough for this to be a two person appetizer, but I got through a lot of it, and I'm glad I did because I wasn't so thrilled with my entree.

For my entree I had "this season's fresh catch." I believe that it was sea bass this day, I actually didn't make a note of what it was.

720.jpg

There was nothing actually wrong with the fish, it was fresh, and prepared well, but it was spicy, which I wasn't expecting. It was not so spicy that I couldn't eat it, but it was spicy enough that after a few bites I didn't want anymore. I also had trouble deciding what I wanted for my entree at this meal, so I wasn't 100% in the mood for fish. I think at this point I really just wanted junky stuff, which is why I needed the fried cheese and an insanly rich dessert. Looking back over the menu, I should've probably gotten the burger, oh well, nothing I can do to change what I had for lunch almost six months ago.

For dessert I had the special "Celebration" dessert, though I know it was on the menu before this year, the ooey gooey toffee cake.

723.jpg

This really reminded me of a bar they have at Starbucks, except this was topped with ice cream and covered with Mickey sprinkles, Starbucks has no Mickey sprinkles. :guilty: LOL. This was so super yummy.

Overall I like Liberty Tree Tavern. It's a nice spot for lunch in the Magic Kingdom if you don't want to travel to one of the resorts, which can be time consuming. (Though I still prefer the GF Cafe and Kona to LTT, I haven't decided for sure where the Wave falls on my scale, I really need to eat there again to have a better feeling.) And I definatly like lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern better then the dinner there, though the Stouffers they serve at Disney tastes better then Stouffers at home. ;)

Next up - Yachtsman Steakhouse

I just stumbled upon your dining reviews and I'm really enjoying them.

Those cheese sticks from Liberty Tree Tavern look really good. :)

I originally had a 7:55 ADR for dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse, but I once again arrived early. (Are you starting to notice a pattern here?) I was considerably early tonight, showing up at 5:30, (which is again, right when the restaurant opened,) and being seated within a few minutes.

I won't post a picture of the dining room, since I posted that in my first review of Yachtsman Steakhouse earlier in this thread, (and I was really bad about taking pictures of the dining rooms this trip,) but I didn't post this the first time I don't think.

889.jpg

Look at all that meat! I'm sure there are some people who could care less about unprepared food in pictures, but I think there's something so cool about pictures of raw and otherwise unprepared food depending on the way they are photographed. Of course fully prepared food on the plate is just as drool worthy.

My server that night was Pam, and she was very attentive.

For my appetizer I knew exactly what I wanted, the seared Maine diver scallops. I had actually had a huge debate with myself over wether to get this or the seafood salad the first time I ate here, and I'm so glad I waited, because in September, it had come with some kind of mushroom stuff, and I really don't like mushrooms.

890.jpg

The scallops were now served over white cheddar risotto, with a sherry vinaigretter. And if mushrooms is one of my least favorite foods, cheese is one of my favorites, (if that is not evident already from how many cheese plates I had.)

The scallops were great, there were three nice sized ones, which were cooked well, and the risotto and sauce were tasty and it all went very well together.

For my entree I had the 24-ounce porterhouse steak.

893.jpg

With this, I did something I almost never do in restaurants, I made a substitution. The last time I made a substitution, and this was years ago, it was at a chain restaurant, and was just switching a salad dressing. I don't like to sub stuff, as I see it as a sort of insult to the chefs. They spend a lot of time creating menus and figuring out which combinations of food go great together, but since I was subbing the fresh cut fries for the mashed potatoes I had loved so much last time, I told myself that I was really complimenting the chefs, since I couldn't not have the mashed potatoes again.

The steak was awesome, and huge, I ate probably about two-thirds of it before I had to give up, and have some room for dessert. The mashed potatoes were just as wonderful as I remembered then, and the garlic butter that topped the steak was super yummy as it melted over the steak and potatoes.

For dessert I was having trouble choosing between the apple tart and the banana napoleon. I asked Pam what she recommened of the two, and she said without a doubt the napoleon, which I should mention was the special "Celebration" dessert.

895.jpg

This was so super yummy. There were layers of banana and phyllo dough, (or some similar kind of pastry,) caramelized banana slices, and some type of banana-flavored custard. This may have been my favorite dessert of the trip.

I also had a glass of wine with dessert, La Familglia di Robert Mondavi '00. I loved this wine, and have been looking for it locally to no avail! It was a really nice sweet wine.

I love Yachtsman Steakhouse, and even though it's not in my lineup this fall, (none of the signature restaurants are,) I will definatly be eating there next year. (Assuming I do get to go next fall again.)

Coming up next, Akershus and Tutto Italia. My reviews are coming close to being over, and I am set on finishing them before I go again.

I just stumbled upon your dining reviews and I'm really enjoying them.

Those cheese sticks from Liberty Tree Tavern look really good. :)
I know! I got hungry for mozerella sticks tonight just thinking about them.

No...I love reading your reviews and I'm getting sad its near the end. I love the pictures of Yachtsman Steakhouse...the diver scallops and the porterhouse really looks good...its making me drool. We have never eaten at Yachtsman Steakhouse b/c my husband is not into red meat...I was debating for our December trip if we should try this place or not. The other place that I'm debating is California Grill and I see its your 1st choice. So many places to eat so little time. I feel part of a Disney trip is enjoying the food.

No...I love reading your reviews and I'm getting sad its near the end. I love the pictures of Yachtsman Steakhouse...the diver scallops and the porterhouse really looks good...its making me drool. We have never eaten at Yachtsman Steakhouse b/c my husband is not into red meat...I was debating for our December trip if we should try this place or not. The other place that I'm debating is California Grill and I see its your 1st choice. So many places to eat so little time. I feel part of a Disney trip is enjoying the food.
Don't get too sad about my reviews almost being over, less then three months, and I'll be going again, and come back with a whole set on new reviews! :)

If your husband isn't into red meat, I'd say probably go to CA Grill, but since I've had good luck with seafood appetizers at Yachtsman Steakhouse, I can only assume that their non-meat entrees are good as well. So either choice would probably be great!

That steak is huge! It's like the size of your head! But it looks sooooo good!
Size of my head sounds about right, LOL. I mean, it took up pretty much the whole plate, and was definatly the biggest steak I've ever had.

i need to add Yachtsman to my list of restaurants to try! :)
My problem is my list of restaurants to try, combined with the list of restaurants I always want to return to just keeps on getting longer and longer. And I have to start cutting favorites off the list each trip.

Like this trip coming up is only five-nights, so I'm am eating almost nowhere I usually eat.

For dessert I had the special "Celebration" dessert, though I know it was on the menu before this year, the ooey gooey toffee cake.

723.jpg

This really reminded me of a bar they have at Starbucks, except this was topped with ice cream and covered with Mickey sprinkles, Starbucks has no Mickey sprinkles. :guilty: LOL. This was so super yummy.

I love the bar at Starbucks!!!!!!!!!! I want one now! :love:

another great set of reviews! That fried cheese looks scrumptious!
OT question for you, are you still doing that compiled list of reviews by restaurant , if so and you want any help I'd be more than willing to help you :)

Can't wait to read Tutto Italia!

Great review of the Yachtsman Steakhouse - Thanks for sharing!! Great pictures also!

I love the bar at Starbucks!!!!!!!!!! I want one now! :love:
Aren't they so yummy? I almost bought one yesterday when I stopped to get a drink, but didn't because it was right before dinner, and I was being good. And I knew my mom had made a pie.

another great set of reviews! That fried cheese looks scrumptious!
OT question for you, are you still doing that compiled list of reviews by restaurant , if so and you want any help I'd be more than willing to help you :)

Can't wait to read Tutto Italia!
Thank you, I should have the review of Tutto up in a day or two. I meant to do it yesterday, but due to a family friend visiting had to be at my parent's house last night.

Great review of the Yachtsman Steakhouse - Thanks for sharing!! Great pictures also!
Thank you.

Starting on this day I had started wearing my birthday button again, even though my birthday wasn't actually until the next day.

I was at Epcot at rope drop this day, (two trips with seventeen days between them, and I made rope drop sixteen of them,) and was able to ride Soarin, and see the characters at Character Connection before having to head to Norway for my 9:55 breakfast ADR at Akershus.

I checked in early, but still had to wait past my ADR time to be seated. It wasn't too bad though, I was only seated ten minutes late, which is reasonable to me, since I know how busy that restaurant is, and Mary Poppins was greeting outside by the lagoon, so I was able to get my picture taken with her while waiting.

Belle was the main inside greeter that day, and sooner or later I hope they switch it to a different princess since I once again got the photo package that's included, and really how many 4x6's do I need? Even with several photo albums, and being a major scrapbooker, I have three sets of the pictures included with the meals, and two sets of the CRT pictures. I don't mind the worked in cost being on the dining plan, but if I ever am not on a plan, I probably wouldn't eat there to avoid the high cost after being there so many times already. I do love the potatoes though, just don't think I could rationalize spending $30 just for them though.

My server that morning was Camilla. She was so sweet. At the end of my meal the restaurant was closing down to switch over for the lunch crowd, and I was not being rushed at all. Camilla and I had a nice conversation about Philadelphia and New York area that she was hoping to visit before she had to go back to Norway.

Anyway, on to the food. I started with the cold buffet as usaul.

965.jpg

I had a cinnamon roll, a raspberry danish, and some Jarlsburg cheese. The cinnamon roll was very good, and as far as I can remember, the best one I've had there yet, and the danish was nice as well. I love Jarlsburg, which is kind of like Swiss, and always enjoy it.

I was then brought out the hot plate, which I didn't take a picture of, though it's pictured earlier in this thread since I had breakfast at Akershus during my September trip.

The food was good as always, with me pigging out on the potatoes once again. The hot platter includes potatoes, eggs, bacon, and sausage. Nothing fancy, but a nice filling meal, and I would be happy with just the potatoes alone.

The characters that morning were; Aurora, Jasmine, Snow White, and Mulan. All were very nice, and I had my picture taken with each.

I was also given a birthday cupcake, and a card signed by all the princesses.

969.jpg

The cupcake was all right, really can't stomach all that super sweet icing like I could when I was little. Especially not after a meal like that. I remember eating all the gummi bears though.

I love getting cards signed by the characters, I have five cards from my trip, one from the princesses, one from Pooh and everyone at Crystal Palace, one from Mickey and the rest of the fab five, and one from Boma and California Grill. It was funny because when I went home I was sad to leave Disney, but I came home to a little party. My sister had gotten all my presents together at my apartment, and had them all set up, most of them were in Disney wrapping paper and stuff, and she had all these little Tink decorations and stuff set up. So my cards went perfectly with all the other cards I got. Of course having a little party at 11:00 at night the day I got home was a very stupid idea since I had to be in Philly again the next day at 9:00 AM.

Overall I love Akershus, and I would try to eat there again. I actually tried to get an ADR there this trip, but it was already full. I probably wouldn't pay OOP to eat there though, since I've already been there so many times, and the cost is really too high with the photo included.

Thanks for the update and I'm goint to miss reading your reviews but can't wait for your next one. I have truely enjoyed reading your food review. Now, you need to scrapbook your trip before your next one. I love to scrapbook too...I use CM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter