DIGITAL Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: In Effect as of June 16th

Just for anyone else in the same boat as me who was wrestling with whether to get FOP fastpasses for the whole party, a TON of FOP fastpasses just opened up for July and August at all times of the day on many days. We were able to switch to early morning FOP so we got it for all of us to be safe, will rope drop Navi with the little guy who is too short for FOP, and then the rest of us will rider switch FOP before it gets too hot for our little one to wait.

Miracles do happen I guess!

Yup, saw that report earlier. Was able to pick it up on two days for our trip in 3 weeks. DS2 is going with a friend and they have everything else hard but couldn't get that. I told him and he was able to move his Navi' to FOP. Mom points :D

Any recent experiences with this system? I'm still wondering whether we need to make FPs for everyone in the party or just the first group. No opinions please, just actual experiences from the last few days.

Any recent experiences with this system? I'm still wondering whether we need to make FPs for everyone in the party or just the first group. No opinions please, just actual experiences from the last few days.

Very keen to hear too.

I know there was a question about this a few posts back. From the Disney website:

"If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring up to 2 other Guests back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 3 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass."

Very keen to hear too.

The week of June 19-24, my entire party was asked for fast passes upon receiving our rider swap pass. Luckily I never knew about this loophole before, so our entire party did in fact have fast passes.

We used rider swap and fast pass for the following attractions:

Soarin
Big Thunder
Splash
Mine Train
Test Track

I know there was a question about this a few posts back. From the Disney website:

"If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring up to 2 other Guests back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 3 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass."

Also at all of the rides we used rider swap for, the cast members were very explicit about who could go twice. we didn’t really care - we only wanted our four year old to get to go twice, but every time they asked who would be going twice, they reminded us of how many were allowed to.

DISers are reporting the new, digital Rider Swap entitlements are now in effect.

*Only the initial set of Riders needs FPs if entering the FP line. Those waiting to ride on the Swap with have their MBs scanned and the Swap entitlements will be added to their MDX Profiies.

Here’s a report by @BrookieM2001

Just wanting to confirm, if we are a family of 6 (one of which can't ride), I can make a FP+ for 3 people and then the other 2 will get a "swap" scanned to their band?

Yes; that scenario has been confirmed by DISers and by those who are posting on other social media sites.

The week of June 19-24, my entire party was asked for fast passes upon receiving our rider swap pass. Luckily I never knew about this loophole before, so our entire party did in fact have fast passes.

Soarin
Big Thunder
Splash
Mine Train
Test Track
I’m wondering if the information in the first post needs to be modified/updated in view of more recent experiences now that the system is fully operational and CMs more experienced w/ the new system?
Although until we see a post that someone in group 2 who d/n have a FP was or was not denied a RS I suppose it’s still unclear.

Soarin
Big Thunder
Splash
Mine Train
Test Track

Thank you.

How did the return window work? Did it have a start and an end time?

Also at all of the rides we used rider swap for, the cast members were very explicit about who could go twice. we didn’t really care - we only wanted our four year old to get to go twice, but every time they asked who would be going twice, they reminded us of how many were allowed to.

Are 3 still allowed to ride again? We are a party of 6, 2a and 4c one of which can’t ride the big rides. I changed our FastPasses so we all have them for the same rides. Can my DH go with the 3 older kids and the kids ten turn around and go with me? Or does DH only take 1 or 2 and the other(s) stay back with me to ride?

OK, so I have this theory as to why we're getting conflicting answers to the FP question. From what I can gather, if the entire party has FPs, then group 2 can return to ride the attraction right after group 1 is done. BUT, if only those in group 1 have FPs, then group 2 has to wait longer to return...

As explained here:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-switch-ride-swap-issued-riders-first-373540/

and here:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-pass-rider-switch-first-rider-booked-373613/

I asked a CM I know and she wasn't sure (but she doesn't work at the parks), so I emailed Disney...let's see what they say

Last edited:
OK, so I have this theory as to why we're getting conflicting answers to the FP question. From what I can gather, if the entire party has FPs, then group 2 can return to ride the attraction right after group 1 is done. BUT, if only those in group 1 have FPs, then group 2 has to wait longer to return...

As explained here:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-switch-ride-swap-issued-riders-first-373540/

and here:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-pass-rider-switch-first-rider-booked-373613/

I asked a CM I know and she wasn't sure (but she doesn't work at the parks), so I emailed Disney...let's see what they say

Thanks for posting those links. After reading both of those responses, I think my understanding is the same as yours.

Glad to have a better understanding now as our 60 days is rapidly approaching.

As explained here:

and here:

First, I would hesitate to believe anything the Mom's Panel says as fact as in the past they have been incorrect quite often.

Second, I would take the two different responses as being more indicative of my first point than there actually being a difference in how return times are handled with RS based on whether or not someone has a FP. I could be wrong, but it really doesn't seem like Disney would have 2 different return time policies for RS. What would really be the point except to cause a bigger confusing headache for everyone?

Third, in the first Mom's Panel response, she brought up that if the wait time is 55 mins for the first group, then the second would have 50 mins to ride once the first group gets off the attraction. While I am sure Disney has the means of knowing when people get off rides due to Magic Band technology, I really doubt that the system is actually targeting and registering when the first group for a rider swap exits and then inputting the first group's wait time minus 5 mins at that exact moment onto the second group's rider swap pass. Also, the response seemed to indicate that the second group's time limit would be 5 mins less than the first group's wait time, beginning when the first group exits the ride. That would give fluctuating time windows based on how long the first group's wait was. I find it difficult to believe that if the first group's wait is 15 mins, then the second only has a 10 min window to get on the ride, and that also goes against what was originally advertised on a couple blogs about an hour window for RS.

Fourth, the second Mom's panel reply never did actually answer the question that was asked of whether the second group needs FP if the first group in a RS scenario has them. Her info about return windows seemed to make the most sense, in that you have an hour window to return calculated by the first group's posted wait time minus 10 mins. Since she never addressed the question about needing FP, I don't take her response as being indicative of a different policy for people in the second group based on whether or not they hold FP.

Fifth, after typing out my last point, I wonder if the first Mom's Panelist just didn't explain the return window correctly, or may have misunderstood it. Say it's 2:00, wait time of 55 mins for BTM, second group gets the rider swap added. If we are going off of what the second Mom's Panelist said about the return window, then you would take 2:00, add 55 mins minus 10 mins and get a return window of 2:45-3:45. If it takes the first group exactly the posted 55 mins, then that would leave the second group with 50 mins to ride, which is the time she listed. Perhaps that's what she meant, and didn't explain it well.

*Overall, my take from those posts is that they calculate the return window by taking the first group's posted wait and subtract ten mins. That time will begin the return window and you have an hour from that point to ride. Those posts didn't answer the FP question. The following one does, but again, it is Mom's Panel so take that for what it's worth.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...ap-everyone-party-need-fastpass-go-fp-373883/

Are 3 still allowed to ride again? We are a party of 6, 2a and 4c one of which can’t ride the big rides. I changed our FastPasses so we all have them for the same rides. Can my DH go with the 3 older kids and the kids ten turn around and go with me? Or does DH only take 1 or 2 and the other(s) stay back with me to ride?

We were told pretty consistently that 2 total could ride twice.

I wonder if they are actually enforcing that window start time for the RS. I'd be annoyed if not only do I have to ride back to back, but have to wait to ride back to back.

I wonder if they are actually enforcing that window start time for the RS. I'd be annoyed if not only do I have to ride back to back, but have to wait to ride back to back.

I was assuming this works just like a FP+ in the MDE app....once you go beyond the time window the RS expires and disappears from your app. So I do not know that they could not enforce it once the RS is gone.

So much for my theory :rolleyes2

Here's the chat I just had with a CM:

Thank you for choosing to chat with us. A Disney Cast Member will be with you shortly.
Info at 11:24, Jul 2:
You are now chatting with Katelin.
Katelin at 11:24, Jul 2:
Thank you for contacting Disney's Guest Services. How may I assist you?
You at 11:24, Jul 2:
Good morning. I have a question about the new Rider Switch system.
You at 11:25, Jul 2:
Does everyone in the party need to have a Fastpass, or only the first group to ride the attraction?
Katelin at 11:25, Jul 2:
Hi XX! Only the first group is required to have a FastPass+.
You at 11:26, Jul 2:
Excellent. We are a group of 6, with one child too short to ride many attractions. Can 1 person from the first group ride again with the second group?
You at 11:27, Jul 2:
And last question, how does the return window work?
Katelin at 11:28, Jul 2:
Unfortunately, unless there was only 1 adult present, Guests may not be allowed to ride twice without a FastPass+.
You at 11:30, Jul 2:
So if 3 in our party ride with FPs in the first group and 2 adults wait with the too-short child, then only those 2 adults can ride in the second group? No one from the first group can ride again?
You at 11:31, Jul 2:
There is a LOT of conflicting info out there, including on the Disney park moms panel blog
Katelin at 11:31, Jul 2:
You may speak to an attraction attendant but it is not designed to allow Guests to ride multiple times, only to swap the Guests.
I understand, just trying to make sure I know all the rules
You at 11:32, Jul 2:
how does the return window work? does it have a start and an end time?
Katelin at 11:33, Jul 2:
Yes, the attraction attendant will issue you the return time.
You at 11:34, Jul 2:
I read something about the return window depending on the standby wait, is this correct?
Katelin at 11:36, Jul 2:
One moment please while I verify this.
Katelin at 11:40, Jul 2:
The return window will last one hour and will begin at the current standby wait minus 10 minutes. For example, if the standby wait at an attraction is 65 minutes, the return window will begin in 55 minutes.
You at 11:41, Jul 2:
Great. Thank you for checking. I really appreciate your help.
Katelin at 11:42, Jul 2:
My pleasure! Are there any other questions I can answer for you today?
You at 11:43, Jul 2:
If you can have "the powers that be" add all this information on the Rider Switch page, that would be wonderful ;)

So much for my theory :rolleyes2

Here's the chat I just had with a CM:

Thank you for choosing to chat with us. A Disney Cast Member will be with you shortly.
Info at 11:24, Jul 2:
You are now chatting with Katelin.
Katelin at 11:24, Jul 2:
Thank you for contacting Disney's Guest Services. How may I assist you?
You at 11:24, Jul 2:
Good morning. I have a question about the new Rider Switch system.
You at 11:25, Jul 2:
Does everyone in the party need to have a Fastpass, or only the first group to ride the attraction?
Katelin at 11:25, Jul 2:
Hi XX! Only the first group is required to have a FastPass+.
You at 11:26, Jul 2:
Excellent. We are a group of 6, with one child too short to ride many attractions. Can 1 person from the first group ride again with the second group?
You at 11:27, Jul 2:
And last question, how does the return window work?
Katelin at 11:28, Jul 2:
Unfortunately, unless there was only 1 adult present, Guests may not be allowed to ride twice without a FastPass+.
You at 11:30, Jul 2:
So if 3 in our party ride with FPs in the first group and 2 adults wait with the too-short child, then only those 2 adults can ride in the second group? No one from the first group can ride again?
There is a LOT of conflicting info out there, including on the Disney park moms panel blog
Katelin at 11:31, Jul 2:
You may speak to an attraction attendant but it is not designed to allow Guests to ride multiple times, only to swap the Guests.
I understand, just trying to make sure I know all the rules
You at 11:32, Jul 2:
how does the return window work? does it have a start and an end time?
Katelin at 11:33, Jul 2:
Yes, the attraction attendant will issue you the return time.
You at 11:34, Jul 2:
I read something about the return window depending on the standby wait, is this correct?
Katelin at 11:36, Jul 2:
One moment please while I verify this.
Katelin at 11:40, Jul 2:
The return window will last one hour and will begin at the current standby wait minus 10 minutes. For example, if the standby wait at an attraction is 65 minutes, the return window will begin in 55 minutes.
You at 11:41, Jul 2:
Great. Thank you for checking. I really appreciate your help.
Katelin at 11:42, Jul 2:
My pleasure! Are there any other questions I can answer for you today?
You at 11:43, Jul 2:
If you can have "the powers that be" add all this information on the Rider Switch page, that would be wonderful ;)

So if the standby wait is 200 minutes, you’d have to wait 190 minutes to use RS? Really? Has that happened to anyone IRL yet?

I was assuming this works just like a FP+ in the MDE app....once you go beyond the time window the RS expires and disappears from your app. So I do not know that they could not enforce it once the RS is gone.
I was referring the to the start time, not the end time. But if you go past your time on a FP the tapstile will turn blue and the CM can see that your FP has expired and can chose whether or not to let you in. I've had this happen once for an early FP on Peter Pan when there had been really bad backups at TTC and security.

So if the standby wait is 200 minutes, you’d have to wait 190 minutes to use RS? Really? Has that happened to anyone IRL yet?
Reports have said it depends on which line you go in. If SB then it would be 190 minutes, if FP it would be the FP wait time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter