DIGITAL Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: In Effect as of June 16th

Do Group 2 people scan their Magic Bands in the same readers used for Fast Passes?

If "yes", how does the system determine which entry media to use if the person also has a Fast Pass available for that ride when scanning?

Yes, same scanner. When I did it, it always used my FP first, as long as it was still within the window. I had it work out that way on FoP and ToT.

Do Group 2 people scan their Magic Bands in the same readers used for Fast Passes?

If "yes", how does the system determine which entry media to use if the person also has a Fast Pass available for that ride when scanning?

Yes rider swaps and fastpasses are both scanned by the same reader.

To answer your second question I will describe two different situations that happened to my family on my trip last February:

1) Using Soarin as an example. My Son had a FP for Soarin between 11am-12pm. We got to Soarin and told the CM that my wife and son both had a FP, but my son needed a RS so he could ride a second time with me because I had to stay back and watch the baby. The CM then scanned his Magic Band. So at that moment, my son now had a FP and a RS for Soarin. Next he scans his band at the FP entrance to Soarin. The system removes his FP but keeps his RS on. He comes off the ride, and goes through the FP entrance a second time. This time the system removes his RS.

2) At Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, my wife had a FP for 2pm-3pm. I had a FP for 11am-12pm. We approached the CM at 11:30am and asked for a RS for my wife. When the CM scanned her band to load the RS, he said he could not load the RS because she had a FP for that ride later that day. Instead he said he could cancel that later FP and give her the RS right now.

So from this I believe the rules are that a person with a FP can only get a RS if he is about to use his FP at that moment. Once both are loaded, the system knows to take the FP first.

Sooooooo, which is it? Does group 2 need the FP's or not??? I am so confused.

I continue to get conflicting information on this. So unfortunately, I just made my 3 year old a FP for FOP. Because I do NOT want to risk making us Navi instead and them telling me I cannot ride FOP. We have done Navi so no biggie for us, but it just sucks there isn't much for him to do in AK other than see the animals lol

I continue to get conflicting information on this. So unfortunately, I just made my 3 year old a FP for FOP. Because I do NOT want to risk making us Navi instead and them telling me I cannot ride FOP. We have done Navi so no biggie for us, but it just sucks there isn't much for him to do in AK other than see the animals lol

There’s a lot a child that age can do. We went when my son was almost 3. He did Nav’i, the Safari, and TriceraTop Spin as far as rides are concerned. We saw the Lion King show (which he loved) and he spent a lot of time in the Boneyard playground (we had a hard time pulling him out of there). He got to meet Timon, Pocahontas, and Pluto, in addition to a character breakfast at Tusker House. And we did do the 2 walking trails to see animals. He really had a great time there.

Last edited:

Or one of the adults can skip FOP and get a FP with the 3yo to ride Navi together instead of having the 3yo skip a ride. An adult can make an informed decision and choose to spend time and make memories with the child to small/young to ride. If you end up getting a rider swap for FOP I would consider that a bonus not a necessity.

There’s a lot a child that age can do. We went when my son was almost 3. He did Nav’i, the Safari, and TriceraTop Spin as far as rides are concerned. We saw the Lion King show (which he loved) and he spent a lot of time in the Boneyard playground (we had a hard time pulling him out of there). He got to meet Timon, Pocahontas, and Pluto, in addition to a character breakfast at Tusker House. And we did do the 2 walking trails to see animals. He really had a great time there.

Oh yes he didn't get to do the boneyard last time. He was home with Grandma. And yes we love all the animals and trails I just wish there were more to do in Pandora. We always do Tusker now it's our favorite.

Or one of the adults can skip FOP and get a FP with the 3yo to ride Navi together instead of having the 3yo skip a ride. An adult can make an informed decision and choose to spend time and make memories with the child to small/young to ride. If you end up getting a rider swap for FOP I would consider that a bonus not a necessity.

You're right, we could. But I won't. See post above. He's fine just hanging out and dancing to the music. And now that I looked at height requirements he will actually be tall enough for Dinosaur. So there is that. lol. If he doesn't crap his pants!

Whats the best plan for 2 adults with a 35 month old that wants to do Navi' with the child, but also FOP once? Nearing our FP+ reservation date for on-site. We were planning on just spending 1 full day at AK out of our 5 days. Late June, we could go on an EMH morning day (day 4) but were planning on rope drop for day 3 instead.
Can you only get a rider swap if you FP+? Or can I standby FOP at rope drop and get a rider swap for wife, thus saving FP+ reservation for the family to do Navi together? Thanks

Whats the best plan for 2 adults with a 35 month old that wants to do Navi' with the child, but also FOP once? Nearing our FP+ reservation date for on-site. We were planning on just spending 1 full day at AK out of our 5 days. Late June, we could go on an EMH morning day (day 4) but were planning on rope drop for day 3 instead.
Can you only get a rider swap if you FP+? Or can I standby FOP at rope drop and get a rider swap for wife, thus saving FP+ reservation for the family to do Navi together? Thanks

Much easier to RD NRJ and use your tier 1s at FoP. You can get to AK at 8:30 and still be off of NRJ by 9:10. FoP requires an earlier arrival if you don't want to end up in line for an hour plus, even at RD.

What we did with a child the same age was RD Navi (got 2 rides with no wait) and both adults had a FOP FP for later in the day.

I did respond to your posts but not necessarily just you :)

It just seems that anytime this comes up the complaint is about the "wasted FP" for the non rider and I just don't think that is fair. I just wanted to point out that there are other alternatives like an adult skipping a ride that a kid can't ride in order to do something together. There is no way everyone can ride everything so choices do have to be made and every family is different. I will always choose to book a FP with the non rider to be sure we can enjoy doing that together. On the off chance I am granted a RS then that would be a bonus and if not that is totally fine as well.
Disclaimer: my kids are now tall enough to ride most everything and we don’t use rider swap.

The only way Disney will sort this is to give people the option to pay for FP+.

People are terrified they might have to wait in line an extra few minutes because some parents (who leave the park early most likely) want to do a few fun rides with their kid.

Yet if everyone pays for it, for some reason that will be more fair (of course they’ll still complain about price but the parent shaming will stop).

Any parent who doesn’t want the stress of dealing with FP+ and figuring out the rules should just write Disney guest services encouraging them to make paid FP+ an option.

Best plan is to make a FOP FP+ for adults and rope drop Navi - it will be a walk on. Even if it says 20min wait it will be that long to navigate the line.

Of course some here will tell you (or have told you) that makes you a horrible parent for leaving your dear precious snowflake child to do something utterly horrifying like enjoy pandora, eat, or do a ride with another parent.

My husband tells me my kids had lots of fun though in spite of these most horrendous circumstances. He took them for a snack at Kusafiri coffee shop (yes we’re also the type of parents that feed them pastries for breakfast at Disney). Then on to games/rides in Dino Land. He didn’t care to ride, but if he did they probably would have re-rode Navi with me.

If you are referring to me you missed my point. My point has nothing to do with having the non rider wait; be entertained, get a snack etc. while the rest of the party rides; waiting is part of the deal no matter that age.

There were some that complained about "wasting the non riders FP" to which I simply pointed out alternatives to that.

Best plan is to make a FOP FP+ for adults and rope drop Navi - it will be a walk on. Even if it says 20min wait it will be that long to navigate the line.

Of course some here will tell you (or have told you) that makes you a horrible parent for leaving your dear precious snowflake child to do something utterly horrifying like enjoy pandora, eat, or do a ride with another parent.

My husband tells me my kids had lots of fun though in spite of these most horrendous circumstances. He took them for a snack at Kusafiri coffee shop (yes we’re also the type of parents that feed them pastries for breakfast at Disney). Then on to games/rides in Dino Land. He didn’t care to ride, but if he did they probably would have re-rode Navi with me.

Last edited:
I’m sure this was covered here but in the last few pages, I didn’t see it.
If I have a FP, will they also issue a RS?
And if I then have 2 allotments, can I share one with my child?

Scenario - mom, dad, 3 kids that can ride and 1 that can’t.
All people have FP
Dad rides with the 3 big kids
Mom & 2 big kids get RS
Then mom and 3 kids go back on the ride. One kid using mom’s RS/FP

Will that work?

Yes rider swaps and fastpasses are both scanned by the same reader.

To answer your second question I will describe two different situations that happened to my family on my trip last February:

1) Using Soarin as an example. My Son had a FP for Soarin between 11am-12pm. We got to Soarin and told the CM that my wife and son both had a FP, but my son needed a RS so he could ride a second time with me because I had to stay back and watch the baby. The CM then scanned his Magic Band. So at that moment, my son now had a FP and a RS for Soarin. Next he scans his band at the FP entrance to Soarin. The system removes his FP but keeps his RS on. He comes off the ride, and goes through the FP entrance a second time. This time the system removes his RS.

2) At Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, my wife had a FP for 2pm-3pm. I had a FP for 11am-12pm. We approached the CM at 11:30am and asked for a RS for my wife. When the CM scanned her band to load the RS, he said he could not load the RS because she had a FP for that ride later that day. Instead he said he could cancel that later FP and give her the RS right now.

So from this I believe the rules are that a person with a FP can only get a RS if he is about to use his FP at that moment. Once both are loaded, the system knows to take the FP first.
I have FP for my family for FOP in the afternoon. We always like to rope drop the ride as well. Will we no longer be able to do this? Will they tell us that we can’t get a rider swap since we have FP for later that day?

I have FP for my family for FOP in the afternoon. We always like to rope drop the ride as well. Will we no longer be able to do this? Will they tell us that we can’t get a rider swap since we have FP for later that day?

Doesn't hurt to try, but I would not be surprised if they deny you the rider swap since you have the FP later on. That is what happened to me on 7DMT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter