• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Digital Member card for spouse

pennymike

Must obey the Mouse!
Need a bit of help. I am able to add the member card to my wallet and it shows my affiliaton with DVC on it, but my husbands card does not show the DVC affiliation. I aded both cards under my Disney account. We have always only had this one account to plan everthing...........does he now need an account to get the digital card with the affiliation on it?

Why can't DVC make things easy and just go back to a physical card?

Thanks for any help.

Every adult should have their own My Disney Experience account. The systems get very confused when one adult tries to plan for other adults who don't have accounts of their own.

Every adult should have their own My Disney Experience account. The systems get very confused when one adult tries to plan for other adults who don't have accounts of their own.

My DH has never had a MDE account and we have never had any issues.

I told DH all the steps to go through to now get a DVC account, MDE account, etc to just get the membership card and it was a big no from him. I am always with him and use my membership card so I guess that will continue. DH has no interest in having a Disney app of any kind.

My DH has never had a MDE account and we have never had any issues.

I told DH all the steps to go through to now get a DVC account, MDE account, etc to just get the membership card and it was a big no from him. I am always with him and use my membership card so I guess that will continue. DH has no interest in having a Disney app of any kind.
Right, that's kind of my point. It can work fine if the second adult is like your husband and says "nope, I don't want to participate in the Disney digital infrastructure in any way." But it doesn't work well if you're half-in, half-out. Like if you DO have a DVC login but you DON'T have a MDX login, if you DO have a MDX login, but someone tries to make dining reservations without being linked to you, etc.

Right, that's kind of my point. It can work fine if the second adult is like your husband and says "nope, I don't want to participate in the Disney digital infrastructure in any way." But it doesn't work well if you're half-in, half-out. Like if you DO have a DVC login but you DON'T have a MDX login, if you DO have a MDX login, but someone tries to make dining reservations without being linked to you, etc.
Honestly, I have a really big problem with the digital card only option.
Not everyone wants to carry their phone with them all the time.... For example, why would I want my phone with me at the pool (at any resort)? Now I need to have it with me if I plan on getting any benefits. Physical cards are still needed...

No you don't. ANY media attached to your MDX profile communicates the same member information. Any MagicBand or KTTW card will function exactly the same as your phone.
And yet, cast members here at aulani insist on seeing the digital card each and every time (except for the sparkly pool wristband - they only needed it the first time for that)

And yet, cast members here at aulani insist on seeing the digital card each and every time (except for the sparkly pool wristband - they only needed it the first time for that)
Yes, fair point. I imagine that will also be the case at Hilton Head, Vero Beach, and Grand Cal.

Well......this is the husband. This is total pain in the a**. I can't seem to sign up for a DVC accnt because I don't have a activation code (we received one when we set up the orignal accnt over 12 years ago) Been on hold with DVC for over an hour to figure this out. Why isn't entering a membership number good enough? or make so the system can text me a one-time code. or JUST MAIL ME A CARD via the USPS!

Honestly, I have a really big problem with the digital card only option.
Not everyone wants to carry their phone with them all the time.... For example, why would I want my phone with me at the pool (at any resort)? Now I need to have it with me if I plan on getting any benefits. Physical cards are still needed...
Agreed......I have the same issue on DCL. The old paper Navigator worked great......fold it up in your pocket and go. Now I HAVE to have me phone with me all the time. Part of the reason I go on vacation/cruise is to be disconnected from my mobile phone. Just relax and take in what is around me.

The biggest issue from our perspective is that years and years ago when we set up an MDE account, there was never any indication that having a single, family account was ever going to be a problem. It was simple and the most straight-forward way to manage our reservations, tickets, fast passes, etc, and it's worked perfectly for us (and others). Now all of a sudden with the change from physical cards to digital, it's causing a lot of families big problems and requiring tech help to create another individual account, merge the information properly so nothing is lost, all in the name of being able to show a blue card we purchased nearly 30 years ago. It's a major pain in the behind, and we're actually trying to time when we can work with tech to get this fixed - and at the same time not mess up reservations over the next few months.

He doesn't need an "app." He doesn't have to do anything. Just use your computer and create an account for him.

Looks like there's the activation code issue; maybe just send them an email asking for one to be sent?

Well......this is the husband. This is total pain in the a**. I can't seem to sign up for a DVC accnt because I don't have a activation code (we received one when we set up the orignal accnt over 12 years ago) Been on hold with DVC for over an hour to figure this out. Why isn't entering a membership number good enough? or make so the system can text me a one-time code. or JUST MAIL ME A CARD via the USPS!

I find it annoying as well. My husband has his own MDE account and I can kind of see the point since he has his own AP, can view photos from Photopass when I am not with him, make dining reservations separately from me, etc. But people listed on a DVC contract together with one membership # do not need separate log in accounts. There is just no point. It would be like if we both needed separate log ins for other accounts we share...banking, etc. What they should do is allow you to link another user on the DVC site so they can be recognized as a member too. It seems especially doable now since they do have the connection to MDE for the cards.

I used to have the feeling that Disney represented a place I could go to relax - that getting there and being there was meant to be easy and fun. But every time I turn around now, I seem to be encountering one more situation that makes life easier for the suits at Disney and harder for me. I feel like I just finish ,jumping through one annoying, time-consuming, joy sucking hoop, and then a few months later here comes another one.

I used to feel like a welcome guest. Now apparently if I can manage to pay boatloads of money for the privilege of being allowed to ride a ride once in awhile without a 2+ hour line, make plans far in advance to be in a particular park on a particular day, figure out where and what I want to eat long before I know I'm going to be hungry, and now waste a lot of time trying to figure out how to create and then link my husband's DVC account with a MDE account instead of just pulling out a blue card, then I will be allowed the privilege of entering the kingdom of the Mouse.

My gratitude for that honor is wearing very thin.

He doesn't need an "app." He doesn't have to do anything. Just use your computer and create an account for him.

Looks like there's the activation code issue; maybe just send them an email asking for one to be sent?

I agree. When I joined dvc I set up an account for myself, husband and daughter. All the same login for MDE, dcl, shopping, etc. my husband and daughter have never logged into their dvc accounts (I have just to make sure they still work) having an account is not a big deal, you don’t have to use it. Now all 3 of us use our own MDE. Even my grandkids use MDE. It helps them know where we’re dining and what time. They all know how to check wait times Too. Just because you create an account, you don’t have to use it.

We have one DVC account and one MDE account in my name even though my husband & I both own our DVC contract. We purchased in '94.....there has been absolutely no reason for him to have his own account until this nonsense started. We don't have the activation code and I'm sure not sitting on hold to get one. We live 20 minutes from WDW but have only been to WDW once in the last couple years. Everything has gotten too complicated and not fun.

The question everyone that only has one account will have to answer is, has your spouse ever used their card when you were not there. Do they ever pay for a meal, claim tickets at will call, make a purchase, do recreation that has a discount without you being there. If your spouse has never, ever done anything that required their own blue card, then I guess they don't have to have the digital card.
But if they do, then yes they are going to need the digital card, and their own MDE and DVC account.

Last edited:
Since no one mentioned this possibility, just because he is your husband doesn't mean he is a member. You have to actually be on the deed and own the timeshare.

If your timeshare is in the name of a trust/LLC/etc this can be even more complicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter