Dig A Little Deeper: Dopey 2019

It amazes me that however different our marathons may have begun (corral, pace, strategy), we all seemed to struggle those last 6-7 miles. For me it was 50% fatigue (because...marathon!) and 50% the sun beating down on me, brutal! Congrats on the course PR and Incredibles photo!

Congrats Lee! I can’t imagine a 4 hour marathon. I was on the course for 2 hours longer than you, unfortunately... what training schedule did you use?

I do wish I would have had more time to meet more of the DIS folks. If any of you guys are running Wine and Dine, that will probably be my next one.

It amazes me that however different our marathons may have begun (corral, pace, strategy), we all seemed to struggle those last 6-7 miles. For me it was 50% fatigue (because...marathon!) and 50% the sun beating down on me, brutal! Congrats on the course PR and Incredibles photo!

That heat was no joke. I was dumping water on myself the last 7-8 miles.

Congrats Lee! I can’t imagine a 4 hour marathon. I was on the course for 2 hours longer than you, unfortunately... what training schedule did you use?

I do wish I would have had more time to meet more of the DIS folks. If any of you guys are running Wine and Dine, that will probably be my next one.

Thanks! I had a DopeyBadger training plan. He got me a sub-4 last spring. His plans definitely work.

I’m retiring from runDisney, but it’ll be a Brett Farve-like retirement. I’ll show up a couple more times in a different uniform in the next several years.

Congrats again on completing Dopey! That sponge at mile 18 and those towels at the finish were awesome. I wish I would have kept my sponge for those last six miles. I always seem to struggle the most from leaving WWoS to Hollywood Studios and no cover from the sun certainly didn’t make it any easier.

Congrats on a course PR and becoming Dopey! It sure was warm and we aren't used to at all. I dumped a lot of water on my head as well to try to keep cool. Seeing you was a boost too during the marathon, I'm glad you posted your outfits before. Great photos!

We rounded through Tommorowland and into Fantasyland. As we approaching the rear of the castle, some dude cut across me and another runner.
Some guy smashed into me on the Liberty Square bridge, he was with the pace group and they said walk and he panicked to get to the right, not ever looking. Glad you didn't go down with your run in.

I had a bunch of pics in Hollywood Studios, but a bunch of them had a small black dot that wound up right in the middle of my face.
Same. The black dot seems like a paintbrush dot versus dust. It is weird.
My finish line photos are pretty weak, TBH.
Same. I don't have many but I look awful so that's okay. Your photos look good. It's funny you talk about your charger flying and all. After the 2016 marathon when I was sick I went to do my post picture with my medal and adjusted my skirt and my phone went flying. I guess I didn't really put it in my pocket so it was just resting kind of in some material. Glad you didn't get tripped up or anything with it.

Congrats, Lee!! Even though the marathon turned into a struggle at the end, you still had a fantastic time. I think your Incredibles shot is great and the castle picture and several other of your running shots turned out fantastic! It was a hot one and those miles after WWoS are no joke. Well done!

Congrats on a great marathon, even if it didn't feel completely great! So glad that you stopped for the Incredibles shot, and the pics of you while running are great...no one would know that you were feeling less than ideal, you look so happy in them!

Hot temps during the WDW marathon just suck, I'd take last year's super cold marathon over too-warm conditions any day.

Well done on your medals, fantastic achievements.

The pic of you and your twins is amazing, I'm glad you have it framed, awesome.

Oh. My. Goodness.
Just got caught up on this, and I am physically exhausted just reading about your Dopey experience! Congratulations!
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
PS. those Spaceship Earth pictures you took are breathtaking, I may steal one and frame it!!!

I really do wanna try it your way sometime. I need to get over my competitiveness and desire to be really efficient with my time (that applies to all of my vacations, I’m not a sit back and relax guy). I’m sure I’d have fun stopping for drinks and doing EE.
The closest I get to sitting back and relaxing on vacations is sitting at a bar or eating, or sitting at a bar and eating. I cannot sit by the pool or sit on a beach. Bleh.

Huzzah on your run!

Oh. My. Goodness.
Just got caught up on this, and I am physically exhausted just reading about your Dopey experience! Congratulations!
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
PS. those Spaceship Earth pictures you took are breathtaking, I may steal one and frame it!!!

Ha! Feel free.

The closest I get to sitting back and relaxing on vacations is sitting at a bar or eating, or sitting at a bar and eating. I cannot sit by the pool or sit on a beach. Bleh.

Huzzah on your run!

Same. I can sleep at home.

Hello :wave2: fellow Iowan! I just read your TR since I'm home from school (I'm a teacher) for a "cold day"! Sounds like such a fun trip--except for the running parts--I don't run unless something is chasing me! :rotfl2:

Hello :wave2: fellow Iowan! I just read your TR since I'm home from school (I'm a teacher) for a "cold day"! Sounds like such a fun trip--except for the running parts--I don't run unless something is chasing me! :rotfl2:

Thanks for reading and stay warm!

No shots this morning (though I wouldn't have turned one down #YOLO)
Next time, shots before any and all races. It's the new rule.

But you know what was actually super cool? Running as Mr. Incredible. It's so fun to get cheers from spectators and know they are specifically for you. I also got some laughs from spectators when they would call out, "Mr. Incredible" and I would point or "flex." It was a blast from beginning to end.
YES! I had this experience twice during Dopey and it seriously made my races so much more fun!

Congrats again on being Dopey!!! Your race pictures are all so good! (I mean, who posts the bad ones...)

Next time, shots before any and all races. It's the new rule.

Next time, shots DURING all the races.

YES! I had this experience twice during Dopey and it seriously made my races so much more fun!

Congrats again on being Dopey!!! Your race pictures are all so good! (I mean, who posts the bad ones...)

Congrats to you, too!

And yeah, I definitely left out any pics that depict me looking anything less than rad AF.

Congrats on your finish! I'm sorry the train fell off the tracks on you but that's exciting that you still managed to improve your time. That heat threw most of us cold weather peeps for a loop, that's for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter