DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

We attended yesterday (Wed 10/3) and here is a summary. We are a family of 4- 2 adults and 2 boys, ages 2 and 4. It probably doesn’t need to be said, but for families with similar needs, both of our boys are autistic and we saw this as a good opportunity to experience TSL without the crowds.

I had booked it the moment it became available, so 7:30am was the only option. I noticed on Monday afternoon that my date now had a 7:00am option and called Dining to change just in case there was a difference. I honestly still don’t understand the difference between the two, so I’m not really helpful on that front!

We are at POFQ and have a car. I wanted to be in line at 6:45am, so left early. We got to the parking lot at about 6:30am and were the second car there. We walked to security and were probably the fifth group to arrive. They had us stand in a single line and explained that the iPads weren’t downloading the day’s info properly, so they were printing out paper lists as they wanted to start letting us in at 6:50am. Every single CM was wonderfully happy and bright for that time of day!

It was very clearly explained that ABC Commissary was open from 7:00am and TSL would only open at 7:30am. The man we spoke to also said that less people had been booking than they had anticipated.

We walked towards breakfast and there would have been about 10 CMs ready in front of the Chinese Theatre to direct us. It was very strange as no one else was around.

We decided to eat before the event and went in to grab some food. You could either line up and order off the menu (every single register had someone ready to take orders) or you could visit the continental buffet to get cereal, pastries and drinks etc. There were 4 identical buffett tables set up- 2 on each side of the restaurant. For us, the buffett was enough and we left the restaurant at 7:20am to head over to TSL. Again, it really didn’t feel busy.

When we got to TSL people were already on rides and my oldest son and I walked straight into SDD with no wait. We went straight around again and walked straight on. While we did this, my husband took my younger son on Aliens. I never once saw Aliens operate at full capacity during the whole event- there was never a big enough line up to have it full.

My husband and I swapped kids and he went back on SDD twice more with or oldest. At most, they waited about 5 mins each time. One of the CMs mentioned that as the event goes on, everyone spreads out more and there is never a wait for SDD.

As a Family we then did Aliens again, followed by Toy Story Mania. For us this was also a walk-on, but by the time we got off there was a small line and they’d noted a wait of 10 mins out the front.

Buzz and then Woody and Jesse together were out greeting guests for most of the morning. If they left to swap with their replacements, it was a very quick swap and the line kept moving. The line for Buzz was usually quicker and shorter. We joined the line for Woody and Jesse at about 8:40 and met them just after 9:00am, so I’d recommended doing this earlier if you can.

While in line for Woody and Jesse at about 8:50am, the CMs lined up across the walkway and walked the crowds into TSL ready for 9:00am. There was an insane amount of people walking behind them, but I have to say it was pretty well-controlled and those of us doing EMM could still get straight into the rides and move around.

At 9:10am we were happy to leave TSL, having achieved more than we thought we could. We don’t move too fast with the kids, but had still done SDD 6 times, Aliens 4 times, TSM once and had met all characters. We had the option of going back to grab more food until 10:00, but we were happy with what we’d eaten earlier.

After a quick RnR and ToT ride, we left the park at about 10:30am.

In my opinion, it was outstanding value for money and I’m really glad we did it!

We attended yesterday (Wed 10/3) and here is a summary. We are a family of 4- 2 adults and 2 boys, ages 2 and 4. It probably doesn’t need to be said, but for families with similar needs, both of our boys are autistic and we saw this as a good opportunity to experience TSL without the crowds.

I had booked it the moment it became available, so 7:30am was the only option. I noticed on Monday afternoon that my date now had a 7:00am option and called Dining to change just in case there was a difference. I honestly still don’t understand the difference between the two, so I’m not really helpful on that front!

We are at POFQ and have a car. I wanted to be in line at 6:45am, so left early. We got to the parking lot at about 6:30am and were the second car there. We walked to security and were probably the fifth group to arrive. They had us stand in a single line and explained that the iPads weren’t downloading the day’s info properly, so they were printing out paper lists as they wanted to start letting us in at 6:50am. Every single CM was wonderfully happy and bright for that time of day!

It was very clearly explained that ABC Commissary was open from 7:00am and TSL would only open at 7:30am. The man we spoke to also said that less people had been booking than they had anticipated.

We walked towards breakfast and there would have been about 10 CMs ready in front of the Chinese Theatre to direct us. It was very strange as no one else was around.

We decided to eat before the event and went in to grab some food. You could either line up and order off the menu (every single register had someone ready to take orders) or you could visit the continental buffet to get cereal, pastries and drinks etc. There were 4 identical buffett tables set up- 2 on each side of the restaurant. For us, the buffett was enough and we left the restaurant at 7:20am to head over to TSL. Again, it really didn’t feel busy.

When we got to TSL people were already on rides and my oldest son and I walked straight into SDD with no wait. We went straight around again and walked straight on. While we did this, my husband took my younger son on Aliens. I never once saw Aliens operate at full capacity during the whole event- there was never a big enough line up to have it full.

My husband and I swapped kids and he went back on SDD twice more with or oldest. At most, they waited about 5 mins each time. One of the CMs mentioned that as the event goes on, everyone spreads out more and there is never a wait for SDD.

As a Family we then did Aliens again, followed by Toy Story Mania. For us this was also a walk-on, but by the time we got off there was a small line and they’d noted a wait of 10 mins out the front.

Buzz and then Woody and Jesse together were out greeting guests for most of the morning. If they left to swap with their replacements, it was a very quick swap and the line kept moving. The line for Buzz was usually quicker and shorter. We joined the line for Woody and Jesse at about 8:40 and met them just after 9:00am, so I’d recommended doing this earlier if you can.

While in line for Woody and Jesse at about 8:50am, the CMs lined up across the walkway and walked the crowds into TSL ready for 9:00am. There was an insane amount of people walking behind them, but I have to say it was pretty well-controlled and those of us doing EMM could still get straight into the rides and move around.

At 9:10am we were happy to leave TSL, having achieved more than we thought we could. We don’t move too fast with the kids, but had still done SDD 6 times, Aliens 4 times, TSM once and had met all characters. We had the option of going back to grab more food until 10:00, but we were happy with what we’d eaten earlier.

In my opinion, it was outstanding value for money and I’m really glad we did it!

Thank so much for the details. I love detailed reviews :D

I hope to have a similar experience 10/29, except our boys are 5 and 8 so we can all ride together. The only thing I'm debating on is if we should maybe see the characters first, so we can then just ride continually until the crowds come. It isn't a huge deal if we miss the characters, my boys honestly won't care (it's mostly for me and the photo op). I want the photo but don't want it enough to spend half of the event in line for it. The other thing is convincing my kids to stop for photos before the rides - I might get photos with all mad faces because of that! I've had that happen for the MK EMM before. I'll probably just play the entire AM by ear, it sounds like it will be great regardless!

I hope to have a similar experience 10/29, except our boys are 5 and 8 so we can all ride together. The only thing I'm debating on is if we should maybe see the characters first, so we can then just ride continually until the crowds come. It isn't a huge deal if we miss the characters, my boys honestly won't care (it's mostly for me and the photo op). I want the photo but don't want it enough to spend half of the event in line for it. The other thing is convincing my kids to stop for photos before the rides - I might get photos with all mad faces because of that! I've had that happen for the MK EMM before. I'll probably just play the entire AM by ear, it sounds like it will be great regardless!

I think seeing the characters first (or even maybe half an hour in) is what I would do differently next time- I think you are onto something there.

I think seeing the characters first (or even maybe half an hour in) is what I would do differently next time- I think you are onto something there.

I am tentatively agreeing :D. I know everyone instinctively runs to the biggest ride, but when the crowds aren't an issue hanging back and waiting a bit (doing other things first) might not be a bad idea. I know for MK EMM we always do PP and Pooh before SDMT (after the previously mentioned photo 8-)). Even doing that the SDMT had a 3-5 min wait the first few times, and was down to no wait after a few cycles. I'm thinking this might be similar. My plan for the moment (could change as late as when we get there) is to get PP photo at the entrance to TSL, meet the characters, ride TSM and Aliens, ride SDD multiple times, and end with another TSM and Aliens. Then ride TOT and/or RNRC (not sure if we can do both since we have to do RS for RNRC and our youngest is afraid of TOT, so probably only get 1 of them in) and then go eat close to 10. Not sure if we'll to to eat a pastry first or just hang around to wait for the rides and land to open. Probably depends on if we get there before 7:00 as I'm planning, or are a little late and get there at or just after 7:00. At least we can walk, so no more worry about bus vs minnie van vs lyft like I had when we were at AKL.

When I first heard about Toy Story Land I really wasn’t too interested. But thanks to the EMM event and this thread, I have just realised that the EMM event is the thing I am most looking forward to about this trip!

The reports that are coming back all sound great, and I’m enjoying the little community that has built up in this thread. Not only am I most excited about the event, but I’m also looking forward to being able to report back on Monday and share what we have learned. Thank you all! ::yes::

Awesome review! this is exactly what we hope to accomplish on our morning!

So if it was 7:20 and people were already in tsl and they said 7:30 then when is it actuallly open?

Well by the time we walked from ABC to TSL they may have let people on only a couple of minutes early?

I can’t find it, but another poster from Monday’s event who arrived about 7:15am was allowed straight into TSL, rather than being sent into ABC first. So it might be worth not being first through the gates, as it seems like you get a better chance of going directly into TSL if you arrive a new minutes later.

Does anyone know, if you are bringing a baby, do you have to include them on the reservation? I know you're usually supposed to for dining, but didn't know if it matters for this. We have 3 adults, 1 child, and a baby. I have a reservation for 3, but I want to add the other two if I can - wondering if I should be stalking for 1 more or 2 more!!

Does anyone know, if you are bringing a baby, do you have to include them on the reservation? I know you're usually supposed to for dining, but didn't know if it matters for this. We have 3 adults, 1 child, and a baby. I have a reservation for 3, but I want to add the other two if I can - wondering if I should be stalking for 1 more or 2 more!!
Babies don't need party tickets, so I'm thinking babies don't need EMM admission either. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in, but that's my guess.

Yes, you do. My party consists of 4 adults, a 2yo, and a 4 month old. We reserved EMM for 1/16 and had to make the reservation for a party of 6. We were only charged for the 4 adults.

I think you are suppposed to include them and they will just come up as $0 when you check out. However, if you never find a spot, I myself would still
Go and take the baby and just tell them you assumed that since they didn’t need a ticket to get into the park you assumed they didn’t need a ticket for this either. A bit of a gamble, I agree, but I really don’t see them not letting you go in with 4 paying kids/adults and a baby, if only the baby doesn’t have a ticket. Particularly if it’s a young baby who won’t even eat, or eat much.

Yes, everyone has to be on the reservation, like any other dining reservation. My son is 2...he showed up as $0 when I checked out. I wouldn’t chance showing up with more people than are on the reservation.

------------

Thank you!! What an awesome review!! We are going with our grand-daughter soon and are so excited! Was the breakfast any good? I think we may wait until 9 to eat... I am going to go to the characters first after reading your review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter