DHS bus drop off 20 min walk!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brockash

DIS Veteran
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...tudios-farther-from-entrance-than-youd-think/

According to this, it seems the bus pickup/drop off for DHS is pretty crazy "20 mins for a fast walker from the closest bus stop?!?" Seems a little ridiculous. Has anyone who's been there since the changes experienced the new stops? Any thoughts/input?

We're heading down in a couple weeks and it does not sound fun for our group of 12 (ages 3- 66).

Does anyone know where the drop off location for uber/lyft would be (how much closer if any)? Trying to have a backup plan...20 mins drenched in sweat during the end if Aug./beginning of Sept., sounds bizarre.

I don't believe that to be accurate.

Below are maps that should depict what I can piece together about the location of the temporary bus terminals at DHS.

Top map's pink line is the entire walking route between DHS gates and Epcot's International Gateway.
That entire route for a "fast walker" takes about 20+ minutes, give or take.

Lower map is the section of where that path is re-routed through the new DHS bus terminal.
Much, much, much shorter than the full route to Epcot.

DHS-Epcot-IG_012311_wBox copy.jpg

The below would be the small lower area around the lake seen approx. in the white box on the map above.

@bioreconstruct-3_Map_Crop.jpg
(Photo: @bioreconstruct)

Last edited:

It took this person 20 minutes to walk half a mile...so their pace to walk a full mile would be 40 minutes. I don't even think my 1 year old walks at a 40 minute/mile pace.

A slow walk for me would be around an 18 minute/mile, so half a mile would take me 9 minutes.

This post is brought to you by my fitbit :D

Since I wrote the story, I wanted to stop by and let you all know that I interviewed the person whose experience I shared from this morning and that was what they told me. The goal of the story I shared was simply to advise people that the walk is a whole lot longer than it was before and it's in the sun with no shade. The example used was not the opinion of the author, but the experience of a guest who was there this morning.

Also, the half-mile thing was simply a guesstimate and that was stated in the article. The person didn't have a way to measure it so we really don't know exact numbers here.

I don't know about you guys, but I certainly don't sprint to the park entrance in the middle of summer when it's 9,000+ degrees outside with the same or higher humidity. It's exhausting and sucks you dry and for me, that's no way to start the day.

Since I wrote the story, I wanted to stop by and let you all know that I interviewed the person whose experience I shared from this morning and that was what they told me. The goal of the story I shared was simply to advise people that the walk is a whole lot longer than it was before and it's in the sun with no shade. The example used was not the opinion of the author, but the experience of a guest who was there this morning.

Also, the half-mile thing was simply a guesstimate and that was stated in the article. The person didn't have a way to measure it so we really don't know exact numbers here.

I don't know about you guys, but I certainly don't sprint to the park entrance in the middle of summer when it's 9,000+ degrees outside with the same or higher humidity. It's exhausting and sucks you dry and for me, that's no way to start the day.
I would be interested to test this myself. I can walk from Epcot/BC to DHS in 15-20 minutes no problem and I am also a runner. I just have a hard time believing it would take 20 minutes from bus stop one. Surely it is a longer walk than the old loop and this is currently only a temporary loop for the resorts but I think it was a little bit of an exaggeration. I certainly don't fault you as the writer. Thanks Jackie!

Wife and I walked from Epcot to HS last Friday. We've done that walk a bunch of times before. I'd say it added about 5 min to the walk. Luckily was at night so although super humid, it wasn't in the sun.

For the person who asked about Lyft/Uber...we took one back to the resort one day and the pickup isn't very far from the main entrance. Stage Lot at the end of row 37. Really just a 3-4 min walk (at the most) from the front entrance. Seems actually a bit closer than most of the new bus stops.

I know the article says there's no definite end date to using the temporary bus stops but does anyone here know of an estimated time frame?

I know the article says there's no definite end date to using the temporary bus stops but does anyone here know of an estimated time frame?
By the end of the year. The new resort loop is currently being built. You can see it in the images in the article. The new loop will have cover like other Disney park loops.

Per the article:
"This new area is quite a good distance from the main entrance of the theme park – like around half a mile. As an example, it took an experienced and fast runner 20-minutes to walk from bus stop number one to the entrance of the park; that bus stop is the closest one to the entrance."

Numbers are used to relate. Satellite imagery puts the walking distance at the extreme end to be about 0.8km which jives with the "like around half a mile".

So, why not just leave it at that? The "it took an experienced and fast runner 20-minutes to walk" part is a significant disconnect with the actual distance. Maybe strip that portion out... or just cut the part about "experienced and fast" because those two traits definitely don't go with a 20 minute half-mile walk.

Bottom line: the walk is longer than it used to be.

For comparison, if driving and parking, what is the current eta to the entrance? Is it really shorter than being at one of the bus stops? I haven't driven into HS in awhile, so I'm not sure how the construction is factoring into that process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!