Detailed Weather Data for WDW

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
The question of weather at WDW arises frequently and invariably invites a host of anecdotal responses based on individual visitor's experiences and those who live near WDW. I decided to gather the best, most recent and (most importantly) free data that could be found on the Internet for Orlando, Florida to give some objective information on weather.

How Hot Is It At Walt DisneyWorld? :beach:

Chart 1 shows that the average high temperature in the summer at WDW is in the low 90's F (about 33 degrees C). Summer lows are in the low 70's F (21-22 degrees C). Winter average highs are in the mid-to-low 70's F (21-24 degrees C) and average lows are 50-55 degrees F (10-12 degrees C).

Chart 2 shows record high and low temperatures so you can see what the possible extremes might be. The summer record highs are not that much higher than the average highs (record highs are about 100 degrees F / 38 degrees C). This implies a fairly low range of variability in the summer and hence more predictable peak temperatures.

Winter lows can get quite cold - below freezing levels (Chart 2).

How Humid Is It and How Much Does It Rain in Orlando?:sunny:

I could not find the rain and humidity data for WDW itself and so looked at the city of Orlando.

Orlando, Florida has a tropical climate with about 50 inches (150 cm) of rain per year. Charts 3 and 4 show that the most rainy time of year is during the summer, with an average of 17 rainy days in July (Chart 4).

Chart 5 shows that the peak humidity each day occurs in the morning and it is about 90%. The low humidity in the evening varies throughout the year from 45-65%.

Conclusions

Summer visits to WDW can be a challenge for many people because of the heat, humidity and rain. Shorts and tee-shirts during the day and night are appropriate, as are rain ponchos.

Non-summer visits have considerably cooler temperatures with shorts and tee-shirts often appropriate during the day with sweatshirts in the evening. However, colder, blustery days are also possible. Winter visitors should be prepared for both.

Chart 1. Monthly average high and low temperatures at WDW
full

Chart 2. Monthly record and average high and low temperatures at WDW
full

Chart 3. Monthly average rainfall in Orlando (also shows Anaheim, CA)
full

Chart 4. Monthly average number of rainy days per month in Orlando (also shows Anaheim, CA)
full

Chart 5. Monthly average humidity in the morning and evening in Orlando (also shows Anaheim, CA)
full

Table 1. Monthly average and record high and low temperatures at WDW
full

Table 2. Monthly average rainfall and humidity in Orlando
full

Detailed Weather History for DLR www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158

Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

Data Sources:

DLR Temperature:
www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USCA1306

DLR/Anaheim Rainfall:
www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca0192
Period of Record : 8/1/1989 to 6/29/2007

DLR/Anaheim Humidity:
www.weatherreports.com/United_States/CA/Anaheim/averages.html
Data taken over 47 years

WDW Temperature:
www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USFL0615

WDW/Orlando Rainfall and Humidity:
www.weatherreports.com/United_States/FL/Orlando/averages.html
Data taken over 26 years

Last edited:
HydroGuy, thanks for all your hard work on this. I hope people take the time to read it!

I usually point people to this website and tell them to plug in their trip dates:

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp
Thanks. wunderground had historical data for Orlando which I was tempted to use, but it wasn't clear what time period the history covered and looked a little different from other sources I found for Orlando and Anaheim.

For anyone interested here are links:

Orlando: www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KMCO&SafeCityName=Orlando&StateCode=FL&Units=none&IATA=MCO

Anaheim: www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KFUL&SafeCityName=Anaheim&StateCode=CA&Units=none&IATA=LAX

As you note and link they also have current and forecast weather which is useful for trip planning. :)

Deb's website also has all sorts of info on weaterh at WDW.

I don think anecdotal in fo is somewhat helpful though. I think many folks hear 'rain' and think that a forecast of rain in Florida is just like in the northern states; steady moderate all-day rain. They don't understand that tropical rain is often heavy but shortlived.

Good post though!

Great info...

Despite this, within a day or two we should see the following...

1.The 21 day forecast says rain, is there another forecast that I can use that would predict sunshine for every day of my trip?

2.I know what 90 feels like in my hometown(insert city here), how does 90 feel at WDW?

3.I know January and February are cooler, but WHY does it have to happen on my trip.

4.The forecast is rain for tomorrow and only a 10% chance. I can't believe it is going to "downpour ALL DAY" on my only MK day.

5.(feel free to add more)

And remember that this year, the 2007 season of hurricanes and wet weather really didn't happen in Florida and the entire southeast is in either a drought or near drought situation.

The results of that aren't included in a historical chart. I'm not saying the information provided isn't a good start but remember that anything is possible.

And remember that this year, the 2007 season of hurricanes and wet weather really didn't happen in Florida and the entire southeast is in either a drought or near drought situation.

The results of that aren't included in a historical chart. I'm not saying the information provided isn't a good start but remember that anything is possible.
Good point. As Chart 2 shows record high and low temperatures it can give an idea of what can happen temperature-wise.

In truth I compiled this data for the DLR forum because there have been recent debates there about whether summer is more tolerable in Anaheim or Orlando. This brought up the eternal "dry heat" in the West vs. "humid heat" in the Southeast debate. :rotfl2:

Since I had the data I decided to spin off a WDW-specific post which naturally belongs here, as well as a DLR-specific post which I posted there.

For anyone interested in seeing the DLR vs WDW weather comparison, see:

"Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" ww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

Yeah, well 2007 didn't have many hurricanes but September 2007 felt like a monsoon the entire time!!! It wasn't awful for me and my family who are from Oregon and more accustomed to constant rain, it didn't effect us nearly as much as most others. Needless to say, it felt like the parks were sometimes only filled with Pacific Northwesterners and UK folk, which is fine with me!

SOMEONE PLEASE FIND A MOD

please please put a big old sticky on this!!!!

Great work! This will help so many people plan their packing and what not...

Awesome info -- thanks for posting

We are currently "over stuck" on stickies.. and we are going to have to sort thru that.. and re-organize a bit before I can stick this - but I hope to be able to do so soon.

In the mean time I have bookmarked it and will bump it periodically until we can find it a proper home :)

Awesome info -- thanks for posting

We are currently "over stuck" on stickies.. and we are going to have to sort thru that.. and re-organize a bit before I can stick this - but I hope to be able to do so soon.

In the mean time I have bookmarked it and will bump it periodically until we can find it a proper home :)

thanks so much! This will help people with deciding what to pack during what season. I really was impressed by this post!:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter