Detailed Weather Data for DLR

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
The question of weather at DLR arises frequently and invariably invites a host of anecdotal responses based on individual visitor's experiences and those who live near DLR. I decided to gather the best, most recent and (most importantly) free data that could be found on the Internet for DLR and Anaheim, California to give some objective information on weather.

How Hot Is It at Disneyland Resort? :beach:

Chart 1 shows that the average high temperature in the summer at DLR is 81-89 degrees F (27-32 degrees C). Summer lows are 61-65 degrees F (16-19 degrees C). Winter average highs are 70 degrees F (21 degrees C) and average lows are 47-50 degrees F (8-10 degrees C).

While the average high temperatures year round and in the summer are not especially hot, the record high temperatures are (see Chart 2). It is not uncommon for a summer heat wave to take temperatures above 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) for several days.

Chart 1 tells you to expect moderate summer temperatures at DLR while Chart 2 warns you to be prepared for very high temperatures.

How Humid Is It and How Much Does It Rain in Anaheim?:sunny:

I could not find the rain and humidity data for DLR itself and so looked at the city of Anaheim.

Anaheim, California has a semi-arid climate with 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) of rain per year. Charts 3 and 4 show what rain does fall is predominantly in the December-March time frame. They also show that it almost never rains in the summer at DLR. :)

Chart 5 shows that the peak humidity each day occurs in the morning and it is about 80%. The low humidity in the evening is also fairly constant at 55%.

Summer Visits to DLR

Contrary to popular belief, DLR can be enjoyed in the summer time and whatever heat happens to exist can be worked around. I discuss my advice for summer visits here:

"Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

Conclusions

DLR average temperatures year round and in the summer are moderate while it is possible for very high temperatures to exist during temporary heat waves. Summer visitors should expect moderate temperatures but be prepared for excessively high temperatures. For summer visits we personally wear tee-shirts and shorts from dawn until midnight without any need for sweaters.

Non-summer visitors will find a mixed bag. It is not at all unusual to be able to wear shorts and tee-shirts during winter days, with sweatshirts needed at night. However, colder, blustery days are also possible. Winter visitors should be prepared for both.

Chart 1. Monthly average high and low temperatures at DLR
full

Chart 2. Monthly record and average high and low temperatures at DLR
full

Chart 3. Monthly average rainfall in Anaheim (also shows Orlando, FL)
full

Chart 4. Monthly average number of rainy days per month in Anaheim (also shows Orlando, FL)
full

Chart 5. Monthly average humidity in the morning and evening in Anaheim (also shows Orlando, FL)
full

Table 1. Monthly average and record high and low temperatures at DLR
full

Table 2. Monthly average rainfall and humidity in Anaheim
full

Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

Detailed Weather History for WDW www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004631

Southern California Weather Averages (DIS) www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/plan/weather.htm

Data Sources:

DLR Temperature:
www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USCA1306

DLR/Anaheim Rainfall:
www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca0192
Period of Record : 8/1/1989 to 6/29/2007

DLR/Anaheim Humidity:
www.weatherreports.com/United_States/CA/Anaheim/averages.html
Data taken over 47 years

WDW Temperature:
www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USFL0615

WDW/Orlando Rainfall and Humidity:
www.weatherreports.com/United_States/FL/Orlando/averages.html
Data taken over 26 years

Last edited:
Thanks, do you know where the monitoring station is located. I have always referred to the outside car temp for anecdotal observations.

Jack

Thanks, do you know where the monitoring station is located. I have always referred to the outside car temp for anecdotal observations.

Jack
No, the link did not say where it was. Some of the data I found was at the airport in nearby Fullerton. But the summer temperatures there looked too low (low 80's) and I was concerned that the data was old and did not reflect warmer temperatures in recent years. The data I did find was consistent and recent. The links are at the bottom of the OP.

I see a sticky in your future:wizard:

Thanks, this is soo extremely helpful. Have a good time when ya go to DL and enjoy the mild May weather!!!

actually, i dont know why everyone has such a hard time finding averages. weather channel online has all the averages on temps, rain, humidity, and alllllll of that, by month, and its all quite accurate, even for my area in illinois which is really sayin something! lol. but if you type in anaheim, ca and go to averages is has all the info you just posted, and more, and of course is free.

Thanks Hydroguy! :)

Personally, I'm a big fan of www.wunderground.com. They've been my go-to weather source since I lived through all the Florida 2004 hurricanes. Wunderground has a trip planner function that lets you plug in your trip dates and you get a detailed report of the location based on those dates.

Example: I pulled a report for May 7:

Temperature:
The Average High Temperature is 74 F with a historical range of 63 F to 98 F
The Average Low Temperature is 57 F with a historical range of 52 F to 64 F
There is a 13% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90°F / 32°C).
(2 days out of 15 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
There is a 0% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32°F / 0°C).
(0 days out of 15 in historical record)

Cloud Cover:
Average Cloud Cover is partly cloudy
There is a 40% chance of a Cloudy Day.
(6 days out of 15 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 1

Wind:

The Average Wind is 4 mph with a historical range of 0 mph to 6 mph
There is a 0% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).
(0 days out of 15 in historical record)

Humidity:
The Average High Dew Point is 54 F with a historical range of 38 F to 61 F
The Average Low Dew Point is 45 F with a historical range of 15 F to 53 F
There is a 7% chance of a Humid Day (dew point over 65°F / 18°C).
(1 day out of 15 in historical record)

Thanks, Trey. This is really helpful. CA weather certainly has changed over the years. I have been there when it's in the 100's one week, and in the 50's the next during the off months.

Thanks, Trey. This is really helpful. CA weather certainly has changed over the years. I have been there when it's in the 100's one week, and in the 50's the next during the off months.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/disneyland.htm
Hopefully folks can get a feel for that by looking at the extreme temperatures for each month. Some day when I have time :laughing: I want to dig further and see if I can find better data.

I want to thank you too!! I will definitely save this for reference. Thanks so much for posting!

this is fantastic!

wish someone had referred me earlier after all my "what's the weather going to be like posts"

and to your experience, this is pretty accurate?

this is fantastic!

wish someone had referred me earlier after all my "what's the weather going to be like posts"

and to your experience, this is pretty accurate?

Weather is always variable to some degree of course. But I like to know averages to at least anticipate. So yes, these averages jive with my experience visiting DLR and living in SoCal for 28 years. I like to look at averages to respond to folks who say things like "expect 90 degrees and above in the summer". The averages say not to expect those temepratures. I have not had a day that hot at DLR since year 2000. It can and does happen. But it is not the norm.

:wizard:

oh boy - May looks cold... Do most people have to bring a change of clothes for DL? Just wear jeans/pants all day?

oh boy - May looks cold... Do most people have to bring a change of clothes for DL? Just wear jeans/pants all day?

LOL, in May most folks wear shorts and bring along a light sweater for mornings and evenings. I did all day in shorts at DLR last Dec 1 and had a light sweater I barely used. I do not think that is typical for December but it happened.

Bottom line is come prepared for warmer and cooler weather.

:wizard:

LOL, in May most folks wear shorts and bring along a light sweater for mornings and evenings. I did all day in shorts at DLR last Dec 1 and had a light sweater I barely used. I do not think that is typical for December but it happened. Bottom line is come prepared for warmer and cooler weather. :wizard:

So grateful for the info. My brain equates "Disney" with 85°F (when we go). Evening cools of 64°-ish means I pack jeans.
Love this info.

This is an old thread so not sure if numbers have shifted at all, but so helpful. Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter