Delta prices for next January are crazy, what should I do?

yooperfan

Hi HO, hi ho, it's off to work we go
I want to get one ticket with FF miles through travelocity, but the other ticket is going for anywhere from $437-$1000+. Are they crazy? I'm not flying to Europe. Last year we paid $340. W/taxes. Should I wait or book? Do you think they would have a price war with gas prices so high? I know nobody knows for sure, but what kind of past experiences with Delta and flights you booked way ahead have you had? Thanks!

Using hipmunk I came up with two Delta flights at $219 and one at $246. Try adjusting your dates. Tuesday or Wednesday departures are usually the lowest.

You want past history...

For our last trip (June 2011), I booked our Delta flight in July of 2010. $144RT. Prices never got that low again.

I mention this to say you can't exactly use past history to judge whether prices will go up/down.

Good luck!

I know what you mean about the prices being high and wondering what to do... we're also traveling next January and we're crossing our fingers... toes... eyes... that the prices will come down a bit.

When the fares were released they were at about $400/ticket and haven't budged. We're keeping an eye on them and when they drop, we'll pounce. I'm in the mindset of "It's early, there's still time." We'd like to to fly Delta to get the miles, but if something else is way cheaper we'll have to go that route.

There has been a lot of consolidation and capacity reduction in the industry generally, and prices are simply higher than they have been in the past. I think it is too early to pull the ripcord for January on cash, but if you need to book one on miles and want them all to be on the same flights, you are in a bit of a tough spot.

My suggestion: keep an eye on the fares, wait until they get at least a little bit closer to past prices, but don't expect them to get all the way down to the lows you are used to. When they hit a price you like, buy and then try to book the FF miles ticket at that time. If the FF miles required are too high, save them for another trip.

March 1/2013 tickets are almost $250 more per person from Bangor to MCO!
they use to open at around $99. They opened at $443 :scared1: and that is only one way:scared1:

I could drive to
Portland , Maine. Another 2 Hours and get $150 or $286 round trip....But oh the drive !!!:rotfl:

charleyann

Your challenge is going to be the ability to purchase a ticket with $$ at a price you are comfortable with AND getting a FF ticket at the same time.

My daughter flies Delta 2-3 times a year back and forth to college. We've consistently purchased at the best prices about 6-8 weeks out from her trips.

I want to get one ticket with FF miles through travelocity, but the other ticket is going for anywhere from $437-$1000+. Are they crazy? I'm not flying to Europe. Last year we paid $340. W/taxes. Should I wait or book? Do you think they would have a price war with gas prices so high? I know nobody knows for sure, but what kind of past experiences with Delta and flights you booked way ahead have you had? Thanks!

I would hold off. Last summer I priced flights PIT-SNA, it started out $600+ and dropped into the $400 range. I think they price them high to start hoping that people will get anxious and pay it.

From what I can see, American is the only other airline in Marquette and their price is even higher for the dates I plugged in ($800+). I don't think there will be a price war. It's to both of their advantages to keep prices high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter