? Delta 2-leg flights

*123JOANNA123*

Everybody neat and pretty? Then on with the show!
I'm checking out flights on the Delta website and notice that some of the flights have a stopover (E.g. Boston- Orlando stops over in Kentucky). The transfer times seem pretty short (30 mins to 45 mins) and I'm wondering what happens if the inbound flight is delayed?

Is it Delta's responsibility to get you to your final destination, or if you miss the second leg because of flight delays is it tough luck?

I'm not used to travelling in the US, and I know over here, you need at least a 2 hour transfer time between flights.

Did you check Song Air (www.flysong.com); Delta's non-stop flights to Orlando from Boston, NY and other East Coast places??

I'd be nervous only having 1/2 hour between flights! I would think it's Delta's responsibility to take care of you if they cause you to miss a flight due to delays etc...

good luck!

30 minutes is cutting it close. I'd be comfortable with 45 minutes to an 1 hour. I don't like longer layovers.

However, Delta is responsible for getting you to your destination. If you miss your connection due to a delay, they will put you on the next available flight. This has happened to me several times in the past. If it looks like your connection will be tight, find out from the flight attendant what gate your flight will pull into and what gate your connecting flight will be at. Then check the in-flight magazine for a diagram of the airport to see how far you'll need to sprint.

Peggy

Make sure that you are not taking the last flight out if this is the case. If there is bad weather, you could miss your flight and get stuck at the stopover city overnight, making you late to getting there. Getting home is a different story, at least for me. That extends my vacation. We missed our connecting flight by less than 5 minutes due to weather (after having about 40 minutes of delays). Check the size of the airport and the gates that Delta services. If you have to go more than one terminal over like we had to in ATL, you may want to attempt to get a different flight if you fly at night.

Delta will get you to your next destination, but they cannot garuntee you seats together. On the flight that we missed, I had emergency exit right by the door of the plane, with my friends all near me so that we could talk. After we missed our flight, we were put onto a full plane, so we were spread out all over the place. Most people are willing to move for a family to be able to sit together, but you could possibly be split apart

If it were Atlanta or another large airport I would worry, but Kentucky, Cinncinatti (sp?), I would not worry, they are smallish airports and the Delta gates are near each other. We have flown Hartford to Cincinatti a number of times with very short connection times and the gates are (at the max) 3 mins. apart.
The only thing I would not do with a short connection is do my luggage carry on, I would check it.

Thanks for the advice- Dodie- your scenario was exactly what I was afraid of- it's all very well promising the 'next available flight', but we'll be flying during August (a busy time) and it's not worth the risk.

My (direct) flight doesn't arrive into Orlando till 6pm, and I was considering changing to a non-direct one, but I think I'll stick with the original plan.

This airport is not extremely busy, but Delta has two entire terminals all their own (plus one for Comair). It is possible that you may have to take an escalator/elevator to the underground subway and transfer to the other terminal depending on your gate assignment. I would allow 10-15 minutes to get between gates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter