delete post

Call your bank 1st thing in the morning. Explain the situation and see if they can suggest any course of action. Or at least make them aware of the situation so they can possibly speed up the process on their end. Also, if your debit card is Visa or mastercard branded, aren't you protected against overcharges?

And to those who question whether OP should be going to WDW??!!:confused3 She didn't ask for an opinion on if she and her family should go to WDW. She asked what should she do about the overcharge. I know she mentioned the overdraft on the car payment, but really MYOB. She asked how to convince DH to go, not how to dissuade. Why does everybody have to be the money police?:confused3

:flower3:

He really is an amazing guy, just overworked and stressed out. He does deserve some down time, hoping for a babysitter night so that we can go out just the two of us while at Disney.

Do you have a family member or friend that could watch the kiddos for a few hours, so you could have a date night this weekend?? The weather here is suposed to be awful, but if it will be nice where you are, you could pack a picnic, grab a bottle of wine and make an evening of it. Might help you both feel better!!

Everyone keeps saying that DH is a bully, but I totally see his side. They had a bad experience last time and he's probably has some qualms all along about the same thing happening again this time. Then the bank thing happened without even an apology from Disney and what would normally be a minor issue is magnified in his mind because of the previous experience.

OP, I would try calling one more time. Make sure you get a supervisor in customer relations. Say something like this:

We vacationed with you last year and have reservations this May. Last year we didn't have a great experience because (problem A) and (problem B--just give the 2 major problems, and don't overload them with details). I was able to talk my husband into giving Disney a try one more time for our daughter's birthday in May. Unfortunately we have already had a little problem come up: (explain overcharge issue). I realize you're doing everything you can to rectify the situation, but to my husband, that's simply not enough. He feels that this small error is an example of what is to come in our upcoming trip, and that, combined with the problems of the last trip, has caused him to want to cancel our trip. I'm doing everything I can to change his mind, and I'm asking you if there's anything you can do right now--not when/if we check in--to help me convince him to go. It doesn't have to be anything big; I'm just looking for something to show him that, yes, Disney does want our business.

You probably won't get the upgrade he's looking for, but maybe they'll send you something that says "sorry for your troubles." Good luck!

I love this advice, as if they would just send a card from Mickey or a coupon for a kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream, it would probably make a world of difference to the OP hubby! Rudeness, when you are spending your money at a business doesn't lead to most people being willing to return to that business.

That having been said, I find that Disney doesn't always care unfortunately. I am highly surprised that the OP has been so patient in trying to get this worked out in a way that will help her husband feel better about things!:thumbsup2

We had a financial mishap on our trip last year. It was over spring break and we had plans to go to Hoop De Doo one night. The morning before (Wed) we were scheduled (Thurs), my grandson got very ill. I also started running a very high temp.

I trudged down through the rain, at SS from Congress Park, to Bell Services, explained we had to cancel and why. "No problem," I was told. Got my cancellation number, was told, "Your account hasn't been charged, there is just a credit card hold.".

Well Friday morning there was $$$ for 4 adults and 1 child taken out of my checking account. Did I have enough money to cover it, yes. Did I want to have to wait 7-10 days for a refund, no. What made me cry (I was sick, remember??), is how rude the person from guest services was. Would it keep me from going back to Disney? Never! Was I ticked off by her attitude? Totally!!

I gave her the cancellation number and she told me I should have called Wed. night to make sure the cancellation went through. She was snarky, condescending and just plain rude. The topper is when she said "People like you always say you're sick, just because you decide not to go to something this expensive."

I gave her the cancellation number and she told me I should have called Wed. night to make sure the cancellation went through. She was snarky, condescending and just plain rude. The topper is when she said "People like you always say you're sick, just because you decide not to go to something this expensive."

At that point, I would have graciously asked to speak the the manager. There is no call for the type of attitude at any establishment. If the CM was having a crappy day or not, utter rudeness is unacceptable. I would have definitely relayed those words to a higher up right in front of the CM.

To the OP, welcome to Disboards...even with all the bumps and grinds that we display at times....it is a wonderful community. Ppl...including myself....tend to forget there is a living breathing person on the other side of the monitor that has feelings. As with any community (real time or net life) there are those who truly are helpful then there are the opinionated busy bodies. It looks as though this thread is an even balance of both.

My own beloved Dh as had moments like yours. There is NOTHING wrong with my marriage, there is nothing wrong with my DH, there is no underlaying problem. It was simply a bad situation that put top on the topper of the day. He isn't a bully, he doesn't need to put on his big boy pants, he isn't a bad man...he just had enough at that moment and Disney was the last straw. Take what is said here with a grain of salt!

First and foremost...being one that has had a terrible vacation at WDW :-)scared1: at Disney?!?! Say it isn't so!!!!). Those bad moments does affect the memories we thrive for while at WDW or a day at the park with our children. Yes, Disney did a "My Bad" moment. Yes, your DH has every right to be upset. And personally, I feel Disney has forgotten why Disney was built. Yes, it is a business and luckily for them the competition isn't there. Because if it was, they wouldn't be so apt to blow off their mistakes. Can you imagine your local store acting like as the above CM or not at least apologizing for a $600 blunder. Heck no, they value their customers because they know the competition will gladly accept your business. Luckily for them (and they know it) We will be back vacation after vacation because they have cornered the market on this type of venue. (come on guys lets face it, universal will NEVER be another WDW)

Knowing all this...having a crappy vacation...their attitude at times...honest blunders without a simply apology keep me (all of us) away...HECK NO! Does it (and Disboards with all it's wonderful post trips and hints/secrets) make me (all of us) into ODC planners...OMG YES! Disney is Disney...as is a day at the park a day at the park...memories are why we do things with our families. Personally, after our first crappy vacation...I literally had to drag Dh to yet another WDW trip. The 2nd trip started out on eggshells for the first day or so...he was looking for problems...trying to point out things that was wrong and I totally ignored him...he could have been talking to the wall as far as I was concerned. But guess what....by day two/three he was caught up in our excitement and had the time of his life.

If you can, point out what all it is going to cost him. Not just the $200 for cancelling within the 45 day mark, but the broken hearts of the children and yourself as it sounds he was at one point looking forward to the trip(the Disney Chart he found-which BTW, I would love to know where he found this). Don't say or do anything for a while....Give him cool down time, give him time to see how disappointed everyone is....and hopefully you won't have to drag him kicking and screaming to the airport. If you do, just remember the excitement/fun you and your babies display is very contagious at WDW. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

And please...don't let the naysayers keep you from the boards....it is a great place....opinionated and all!

op, don't let what others think phase you. good luck with your husband and disney and the banks. banks are from satan...

[/B]

At that point, I would have graciously asked to speak the the manager. There is no call for the type of attitude at any establishment. If the CM was having a crappy day or not, utter rudeness is unacceptable. I would have definitely relayed those words to a higher up right in front of the CM.

To the OP, welcome to Disboards...even with all the bumps and grinds that we display at times....it is a wonderful community. Ppl...including myself....tend to forget there is a living breathing person on the other side of the monitor that has feelings. As with any community (real time or net life) there are those who truly are helpful then there are the opinionated busy bodies. It looks as though this thread is an even balance of both.

My own beloved Dh as had moments like yours. There is NOTHING wrong with my marriage, there is nothing wrong with my DH, there is no underlaying problem. It was simply a bad situation that put top on the topper of the day. He isn't a bully, he doesn't need to put on his big boy pants, he isn't a bad man...he just had enough at that moment and Disney was the last straw. Take what is said here with a grain of salt!

First and foremost...being one that has had a terrible vacation at WDW :-)scared1: at Disney?!?! Say it isn't so!!!!). Those bad moments does affect the memories we thrive for while at WDW or a day at the park with our children. Yes, Disney did a "My Bad" moment. Yes, your DH has every right to be upset. And personally, I feel Disney has forgotten why Disney was built. Yes, it is a business and luckily for them the competition isn't there. Because if it was, they wouldn't be so apt to blow off their mistakes. Can you imagine your local store acting like as the above CM or not at least apologizing for a $600 blunder. Heck no, they value their customers because they know the competition will gladly accept your business. Luckily for them (and they know it) We will be back vacation after vacation because they have cornered the market on this type of venue. (come on guys lets face it, universal will NEVER be another WDW)

Knowing all this...having a crappy vacation...their attitude at times...honest blunders without a simply apology keep me (all of us) away...HECK NO! Does it (and Disboards with all it's wonderful post trips and hints/secrets) make me (all of us) into ODC planners...OMG YES! Disney is Disney...as is a day at the park a day at the park...memories are why we do things with our families. Personally, after our first crappy vacation...I literally had to drag Dh to yet another WDW trip. The 2nd trip started out on eggshells for the first day or so...he was looking for problems...trying to point out things that was wrong and I totally ignored him...he could have been talking to the wall as far as I was concerned. But guess what....by day two/three he was caught up in our excitement and had the time of his life.

If you can, point out what all it is going to cost him. Not just the $200 for cancelling within the 45 day mark, but the broken hearts of the children and yourself as it sounds he was at one point looking forward to the trip(the Disney Chart he found-which BTW, I would love to know where he found this). Don't say or do anything for a while....Give him cool down time, give him time to see how disappointed everyone is....and hopefully you won't have to drag him kicking and screaming to the airport. If you do, just remember the excitement/fun you and your babies display is very contagious at WDW. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

And please...don't let the naysayers keep you from the boards....it is a great place....opinionated and all!

EXCELLENT post!!!

Normally, I would agree. If a person is that freaked out over $600 making or breaking them, they should not be taking luxury vacations to WDW 2 years in a row. I also don't think that "because it's dd's bday" is a good excuse for anyone to blow money they don't have or to blow a windfall they could use better elsewhere.

HOWEVER… we don't know that that is the case here. I actually suspect it is not the case. Irresponsible people tend to not pay for their trips in cash.

Most people don't keep all their money in a checking account. It's better to keep it in a savings, money market, cd etc. I know I keep most of my cash in a higher interest savings account that is not super fast to transfer money out of. My paychecks are direct deposited into my checking account. I keep enough in there to cover bills, checks, day to day expenses etc. but the vast majority of it goes to the savings.

I do try to keep a bit extra in there to cover potential issues like this, but it would never occur to me to keep enough in there to cover all my bills two times over in case a bank duplicates (or triplicates) a payment.

A $600 banking error in a checking account can have a ripple effect. If that bounces, then fees can cause other things to bounce. Problems take a lot longer to fix than to create with banking errors. It's very annoying.

I bought a bottle of wine for $15 once at a small store. I used my debit card. Their machine went haywire and took the $15 out SIX times. That's $90. For cheap wine. It took a month to resolve. Luckily I didn't have anything bounce as it was a small sum of cash…but what if I'd been buying an actual $90 bottle of wine? Then it would have been $540. What if I'd been stocking up for a party and my original transaction had been over $100? Yikes.

No wonder her husband is mad. I'd be mad too. But I also realize (cause it's happened before) that it's usually not the fault of the store running the card.

This is why using debit cards is risky. Credit cards are not the devil when used properly and responsibly. If a person has the self control to use credit wisely, it's always better to pay for large purchases with credit cards. That way, when something like this inevitably happens, you have protection and don't need to access the funds for other things, such as making car payments.

Regarding bad trips to Disney… My last trip was so horrible that WDW customer relations saw fit to give me a comp'd 3 night 3 day stay at a deluxe resort and 2 3 day park hoppers as compensation. I won't get into all the details, but it involved having drunk people throwing glass all over the place near our room, smoking and loud parties at all hours in not one, but two rooms we were placed next to at CSR, being lied to about where we were being moved in the middle of the night (and being downgraded but not reimbursed) and just generally losing 3 days of our trip to resort related nonsense. Bad trips can and do happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter