Decisions, Decisions...Adding-On

Faith_Trust&PixieDust

Earning My Ears
I just recently purchased direct at VGF. I think I want to add on 50-75 points more but I can't decide where. Every time I think I've decided on the resort, I start to overthink. My husband was on board with the first contract, but doesn't believe we need the second. I completely understand this is not a need, but I keep telling myself if the right contract comes up....why not?! I'm considering mostly resale right now since we just made a large purchase direct and have the qualifying amount for the "extra member benefits." I think it's hard not having stayed at many of these resorts and feeling the pull of knowing smaller contracts sell quickly.

Looking at extended OKW contracts, Poly, Beach Club and AKL.

My gut says go with Poly, because I think that's where my FOMO lies, but with the new build I go back and forth. I was waiting to see if the associations would be different, then I started thinking if they are different and the contracts are restricted would I buy there anyways? These new restrictions for resale down the line are really making me hesitate. Not sure if it should... the recent incentive at Riviera was almost as good as what we purchased at VGF.

Looking for any advice. Family of 5 so I like the options that offer space but with my daughters all being young, we could manage in studios for a bit. Also, I have October Use Year which I don't see much. I know people say stick with one use year if you can, so that's a limiting factor as well when I see these small contracts pop up. Thanks in Advance!

Why are you looking to add on points? I think this matters a lot when recommending where to possibly add on.

As a family of 5, you'll want to think about which resorts can accommodate and whether it's important to have the 11-month booking window. From your list, only BCV and Poly have that ability in a studio. Were your VGF points designed to be used there? If so, do you need a 2nd monorail resort? Tons to think about 🤔

Why are you looking to add on points? I think this matters a lot when recommending where to possibly add on.
I want to add on for more points in general, but I'm already seeing sparse availability at BCV and Poly in that 7 month window. Maybe it's just been when I'm looking, but I want the option to stay at both when I want to. Since this DVC thing is new to me, I just don't want to waste the home resort 11 month window. I've of course watched lots of videos on choosing a home resort, but wanted more opinions on how to priortize this next purchase. I don't like that Poly only has a studio or bungalow option. AKL isn't near much but is cost effective and I think the kids would love. BCV's proximity to 2 parks is awesome. Riviera has the plus of the skyliner as well but I hate the resale restriction. This is why I'm overwhelmed and we can't own everywhere I know lol.

As a family of 5, you'll want to think about which resorts can accommodate and whether it's important to have the 11-month booking window. From your list, only BCV and Poly have that ability in a studio. Were your VGF points designed to be used there? If so, do you need a 2nd monorail resort? Tons to think about 🤔
Yes I picked VGF for the proximity to MK and rationalized that I can hop over to the Poly. I have 2 trips booked right now and so far due to the short notice of one trip and prime December dates for the other....I haven't even been able to see VGF to have Poly close. I think that also is adding to my unease if I'm being honest. If I am adding on, I definitely want to make sure the points are where we want to stay though vs. just adding to increase total points. Our family of 5 can make due with 200 as of now....especially with borrowing and banking :)

Yes I picked VGF for the proximity to MK and rationalized that I can hop over to the Poly. I have 2 trips booked right now and so far due to the short notice of one trip and prime December dates for the other....I haven't even been able to see VGF to have Poly close. I think that also is adding to my unease if I'm being honest. If I am adding on, I definitely want to make sure the points are where we want to stay though vs. just adding to increase total points. Our family of 5 can make do with 200 as of now....especially with borrowing and banking :)
When is your next trip? Something we love to do is resort hop (not split stays, though we do that too) but just visiting different resorts to see what clicks. Maybe do that on your next trip?

Agree, so many considerations. It's really worth looking at the point comparison charts carefully. I have saved a version of the charts that Grumpy By Birth posted here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/2022-2023-point-chart-spreadsheets.3863993/ and have updated them for 2024... looking at the points chart gave me an idea of how many points we'd need for the type of travel we wanted to do. We are a family of 5, but not keen on staying in studios.

I want to add on for more points in general, but I'm already seeing sparse availability at BCV and Poly in that 7 month window.

One thing to remember is that if you add on 50-75 points at BCV and Poly, you will only be able to use those points there at the 11 month window, which only gets you a few nights , even in studios. Your direct VGF points can be used starting at the 7 month window.

The other thing is WHEN you'll travel. Right now the 7 month window probably looks bad b/c it's about 7 months out from Christmas. I imagine Jan/Feb will be lighter.

We are also a family of five with our kiddos being 8, 5, and 3. We just bought Poly resale (220 points) late last year as we love the theme, being on the monorail, and the studios will work for us while the kiddos are still young. But we know that as they get older and want friends (and their parents) to join us, we may be more limited to booking stays at OKW, SSR, and AKV based on the points charts for 1BRs and 2BRs. Our first DVC trip is this August for ten days (seven nights at PVB Lake View studio and two nights at AKV-Kidani in a 1BR Savanna View) and we already decided to purchase more points via a 50-point SSR contract with the same use year.

Also, in regard to the Poly Tower: The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort – A Disney Vacation Club Resort, is going to be crowned as DVC’s 17th resort. With the Villas at Disneyland Hotel being the 16th, and the Poly Tower likely to be done before The Cabins, Disney may have given us an idea of what they intend to do with the new Poly Tower. But don't buy Poly resale based on just that piece of information, especially if you want access to the new Tower.

Lots of things to consider but keep in mind whatever resort you choose, that amount of points will only be good at that resort at 12 months. I’m a BCV fan, and it’s one of the hardest to book, so I’d suggest there, but 50 points isn’t going to achieve your goal imo.

Lots of things to consider but keep in mind whatever resort you choose, that amount of points will only be good at that resort at 12 months. I’m a BCV fan, and it’s one of the hardest to book, so I’d suggest there, but 50 points isn’t going to achieve your goal imo.
We only travel for 4 or 5 days at a time generally. I was hoping if I could get the same use year that I could split stay. Since we have 200 points at VGF, I'd just have to line up availability. If I can, I think I want to stay with the same use year. I figure 50-75 points will get me the few nights I want. (Fingers Crossed)

So far, these comments have helped me narrow to Poly BCV, and now BWV. If I buy Riviera, I'll probably buy direct so that way I can at least use those points elsewhere. Sorting through contracts online now, just not sure if I want to put out another 15k+ for a second contract. I'm not seeing anything under 100 points at the moment. Like I said, the husband isn't exactly on board and I can't blame him since this isn't a need lol

I don't see why you would buy a 50-75 contract at all. They're overpriced, and renting can be cheaper. Or just stay at a normal hotel for a night. 50 points doesn't get you far at Poly at all.

OKW in particular is overpriced because DVC ROFRs it and extends it. I wouldn't buy OKW unless you wanted the GV, which seems unlikely for 50-75 points.

I would assume Poly2 will be restricted, higher priced, and with a higher point chart than VGF.

None of these choices have anything in common. OKW is SAP. AK is one of the worse SAP values. If you are buying overpriced BC points, it better be to stay in a BC studio at 11 months. We have no idea what you are booking or when. If you're buying BC, you don't care about the UY, because these points should never mix.

Last edited:
Since I would be using it in conjunction with my VGF points, I don't need too many. The way we vacation is never for long periods. So for my family to be able to get 2-3 days with this contract and a few with the other we'd be fine. That's just how we do things. Thanks everyone for all the comments though because it has helped. Leaning towards a 100 point contract with BCV or BWV. I understand the ins and outs of a different use year meaning a different membership # etc., so even weighing that has broadened my options considerably. Thanks! :mickeyjum

The other thing is ... if you're not in imminent need of points, you can wait for the "right" contract as far as UY and resort. We also always wanted an EP/HS resort after our first purchase at BLT and we oopsed into VGF before buying Riviera. Oops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter