Debt Dumpers - 2018

I work in the quality lab in a manufacturing plant. We run three shifts and I'm on first. Usually when someone is off the others split the shift and work 12s. It's not so bad if its just while someone is on vacation, but our third shift person quit in December so it's been almost 2 months :crazy2: Some OT is nice, but we always seem to run at very little or way too much. We also work weekends. This year they have made the rule that we can only work every other, but last year we often worked two weekends on and one off... and we also lost our second shift person last summer (though our new one is so much better!). So out of all of my biweekly paychecks last year, only two of them were around my base 80 hours. Every other one had at least 20 hours of OT for the period...

Wow, that is a lot of overtime! Hopefully they’ll stick to their new weekend policy and you’ll get more of your weekend time back! Two months of 12s sounds like it’s definitely getting to be too much of a good thing o_O It’s great to have the extra income to add to debt payoff and vacation funds, but exhausting too I’m sure! Hopefully the 12s won’t last too much longer!

Glad to hear you like Playstation Vue! When I called to cancelled our cable I got talked into downgrading to what they called a "Streamers package" where we get the 1st 20 channels (major networks/local news) for like $20 per month. It's been a complete waste. I've been researching different streaming/live TV services and I think I'm going to give Hulu Live a try. It's $40 per month for their entire streaming library and about 40 channels that we would actually use. If we like it, bye bye cable for good.

I switched to Hulu back in September when my cable package was up. I watch a lot of sports and it has most of the major channels, even more than I was getting with cable! Since it's technically in beta, there can be issues with buffering sometimes, which is annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. I also still have Netflix and Amazon Prime. My previous cable package wasn't even in HD, so this has higher quality and only costs like 1/3 of what I was paying before. Now if I could just get Internet elsewhere too...:rolleyes:

We currently have Hulu and have had Hulu for about 2 years now. We absolutely love it. We don't have any channels or whatever. We just pick the show we want to stream and sit there and watch it commercial free. Last night, we watched 6 straight episodes of Home Improvement once the football games ended. We bought an antenna bar to get our local stations (Fox, CBS, NBC) so we can keep watching sports and local news. It was about $30 to purchase, and there's no monthly fee of any kind. One of the best investments we bought.

We currently have Hulu and have had Hulu for about 2 years now. We absolutely love it. We don't have any channels or whatever. We just pick the show we want to stream and sit there and watch it commercial free. Last night, we watched 6 straight episodes of Home Improvement once the football games ended. We bought an antenna bar to get our local stations (Fox, CBS, NBC) so we can keep watching sports and local news. It was about $30 to purchase, and there's no monthly fee of any kind. One of the best investments we bought.

This has been a hot debate between me and my DH. He is more hesitant than me to cut the cable cord since he’s a big football fan. He likes to have ESPN channels and is worried about lag/buffering time if we make the switch to a streaming option. How is the experience of watching live sports?

This has been a hot debate between me and my DH. He is more hesitant than me to cut the cable cord since he’s a big football fan. He likes to have ESPN channels and is worried about lag/buffering time if we make the switch to a streaming option. How is the experience of watching live sports?

I use Hulu to watch all kinds of sporting events. There is usually some buffering at the beginning of a program and at other times if it's a really popular program, but if you don't mind being a few seconds behind live at times, it's great. In my area, I get all the ESPN channels, Fox Sports, NBCSN, etc. I don't have RedZone though, so if your team isn't local, that may be an issue.

I use Hulu to watch all kinds of sporting events. There is usually some buffering at the beginning of a program and at other times if it's a really popular program, but if you don't mind being a few seconds behind live at times, it's great. In my area, I get all the ESPN channels, Fox Sports, NBCSN, etc. I don't have RedZone though, so if your team isn't local, that may be an issue.

Haha- that’s his holdout issue. He loves watching the games on RedZone. Our area provider is Comcast and the last time he called to renegotiate, the salesperson convinced him that internet alone would be nearly as expensive as triple play and the speed we would require to stream live TV is only available to cable subscribers. I’m not convinced of any of this, but DH is an easy sell. Plus, his love for WDW is not as strong, so his will to drive down our cable costs isn’t either :sad2: This is still an item up for debate for our 2018 budget.

Last edited:
Sitting in the ER with DD. We have been here since 6:30 last night. She has been sick for almost 2 weeks with a cold. Initial fever that went away and then lots of congestion that hung around all last week. But then Sunday she got a fever again and more congestion. I was supposed to go to New Orleans for work yesterday so we took her to the ER on Sunday to make sure it wasn’t something serious like pneumonia. They said she probably just caught another virus and should be okay. That night she started vomiting and her fever spiked again. So Monday I stayed home and took her to the pediatrician. They said she had an ear infection and told me to mix pedialyte into her formula, give her Tylenol and call if her fever returned. Well it did shortly after getting home at 101 degrees so I called and left a message. Then two hours later I took her temperature again and it had dropped to 94.7 degrees. I bundled her up and called the pediatrician back again. I waited for them to return my call and it was about 2 hours later. In that time, with her in tons of warm clothes, her temp only went up to 96.8. The pediatrician said we had to head to the ER right away. So here I sit. DD isn’t really eating so they put her on IV fluids. She is super congested and has had a fever on and off. They ran a bunch of tests but nothing conclusive yet. Doctor should be around again soon so we will see what happens. She hasn’t been “admitted” so I don’t know if they will because they said they won’t send us home with her not eating.

Sitting in the ER with DD.

This is the post that got me out of ten years of near daily lurking on the Budget Board. I have learned much and taken three trips to WDW with my daughter in these ten years. I have gravitated to this loyal group of posters on the Debt Dumpers thread and been inspired by all of you. So, I have to end my lurking and get an actual account so that I can offer my best thoughts to Jen and Ashwin today as they sit in the ER with their baby. I hope that the doctors find the answer quickly and can get her on the road to healing and recovery from this virus or illness. I will be sending prayers her way today. Mom, good job in staying calm and focused. I am sure that is not easy.

Sitting in the ER with DD. We have been here since 6:30 last night. She has been sick for almost 2 weeks with a cold. Initial fever that went away and then lots of congestion that hung around all last week. But then Sunday she got a fever again and more congestion. I was supposed to go to New Orleans for work yesterday so we took her to the ER on Sunday to make sure it wasn’t something serious like pneumonia. They said she probably just caught another virus and should be okay. That night she started vomiting and her fever spiked again. So Monday I stayed home and took her to the pediatrician. They said she had an ear infection and told me to mix pedialyte into her formula, give her Tylenol and call if her fever returned. Well it did shortly after getting home at 101 degrees so I called and left a message. Then two hours later I took her temperature again and it had dropped to 94.7 degrees. I bundled her up and called the pediatrician back again. I waited for them to return my call and it was about 2 hours later. In that time, with her in tons of warm clothes, her temp only went up to 96.8. The pediatrician said we had to head to the ER right away. So here I sit. DD isn’t really eating so they put her on IV fluids. She is super congested and has had a fever on and off. They ran a bunch of tests but nothing conclusive yet. Doctor should be around again soon so we will see what happens. She hasn’t been “admitted” so I don’t know if they will because they said they won’t send us home with her not eating.

How many months is she now? Those early viral infections can be extremely worrying! You just want them to get better!

I am sure she will come through this just fine, but I feel for you sitting in the ER all night. At home you wouldn't have gotten any rest either, so it's best for you to be there to get any help you may need. Its frustrating when little ones are sick and you can't make them well as quickly as you would like.

Will keep your family in our thoughts and as usually happens, a day or two will make all the difference.

Work can wait, as family is most important.

Sitting in the ER with DD. We have been here since 6:30 last night. She has been sick for almost 2 weeks with a cold. Initial fever that went away and then lots of congestion that hung around all last week. But then Sunday she got a fever again and more congestion. I was supposed to go to New Orleans for work yesterday so we took her to the ER on Sunday to make sure it wasn’t something serious like pneumonia.

That is so tough when your babies are sick enough to need to go to the ER. I sure hope she is better soon and it isn't long lasting or serious.

Thinking of you and your family! Hope she is feeling better soon, poor thing. Please update us if you get time.

Thinking of you and your baby girl! I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such a long night of worry. I know many hospitals are very short on beds which adds greatly to the time spent in the ER. Keep us updated as you are able and I hope you get some much needed rest soon.

Hope your DD is better soon!!!

Thinking of you and hoping your DD is better soon!

How many months is she now? Those early viral infections can be extremely worrying! You just want them to get better!

I am sure she will come through this just fine, but I feel for you sitting in the ER all night. At home you wouldn't have gotten any rest either, so it's best for you to be there to get any help you may need. Its frustrating when little ones are sick and you can't make them well as quickly as you would like.

Will keep your family in our thoughts and as usually happens, a day or two will make all the difference.

Work can wait, as family is most important.

She is 14 weeks now. And you are right about not getting much rest either way. Tried to feed her three times this morning and she has only had 3.5 oz. I wish I could wave a wand and make it better for her.

Thanks for all the well wishes. So far the only abnormal test is an elevated white blood cell count, which is normal with an infection. They sent bacterial culture tests, but those take a minimum of 24 hours to come back so it is still a waiting game on that. She could be discharged before the results are back, but they won’t discharge unless she has started eating more normal amounts. It is all very uncertain right now.

Thanks for all the well wishes. So far the only abnormal test is an elevated white blood cell count, which is normal with an infection. They sent bacterial culture tests, but those take a minimum of 24 hours to come back so it is still a waiting game on that. She could be discharged before the results are back, but they won’t discharge unless she has started eating more normal amounts. It is all very uncertain right now.

Poor baby - I hope she feels up to eating more soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter