Debt Dumpers - 2015

House sale closed today!! It will be recorded tomorrow and I should get the proceeds minus the escrow that I need to wait to get from my mortgage company. So excited to pay off my highest interest rate cc!!

Congrats!!! Glad everything went smoothly. I know you must be beyond happy!!!

Congrats!!! Glad everything went smoothly. I know you must be beyond happy!!!

Thanks! Yes, I am very glad it is over and can't wait until the payment on my cc goes through later this week. Once I get the escrow money I'll pay off a second cc. Progress at last!

She's a bernese mtn. dog... She is acting like her spunky self again but doesn't want to eat her food. It's new since I just switched her from a large breed puppy food to an adult food. I'm wondering if the food was the culprit. She loved it before she started feeling badly but now she won't touch it. She never stopped drinking water and never had an upset stomach or anything. I checked her paws and they looked fine. No clue... I plan to get her checked out by the vet anyway. She hasn't been since she was 6 months old so it's time for a checkup anyway.

If I remember correctly, didn't you say that she was about 9 months old? For most breeds, that is a little early to transition to adult food, and especially for large breed dogs - recommendation is to keep them on puppy food until they are 18-24 months old. All dogs will spend about 12 months growing (skeletal system) but then large breeds will spend another 6-12 months "bulking" out to their full size. So, food might definitely be an issue. I am absolutely biased, and admit it upfront, but I'd recommend trying her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy for another 6-9 months. PM me your email address and I'll send you a 15% coupon for PetSmarts "Friends and Family" promotion. (Anyone else that wants it can PM me as well).

If all the other stuff is looking good, then yeah, without seeing her in person the only other thing I can think of is when was the last time her nails were trimmed. I know if they get too long it can actually be painful for them to walk. The vet sounds like the next logical step - just hope it is not an expensive visit for you. :hug:

How is your back feeling, dayvewc? I hope you will be able to go on your trip!

Thanks for asking. My back is lots better than it was at its worst. I still have pain in my lower left back, down my left leg, and severe pain in my left knee. The chiropractor has been realigning everything. Apparently, years ago when I first messed up my knee I started walking funny to minimize pain there, which caused both my knee and back to misalign. I have since been altering my walk to minimize pains from both, which actually exacerbated (I think that is the right word) both conditions until finally my back just said "ENOUGH!!!" I spent over a week in a wheel-chair, several days on a walker, and this past week using a cane to get around. Things are getting better, and the chiropractor has said that as long as I take it easy I should have no problems taking my trip (and I have already reserved an ECV to travel with - I needed one of those anyway from my previous knee injury). I have an appointment with an orthopedic this afternoon, and unless he has compelling reasons to stay close by, I will be leaving for my trip on Sunday. :bounce:

It's not ideal, but ... I agreed to pay for the tickets for my roommate to go, with the understanding that he will pay me an extra $50 per month to pay for them. It will take him a year, but I don't see any other way to get the ECV loaded and unloaded each day at the resort and parks. I have another friend that was already going, but did not want to go to the parks (I offered the same deal and it was turned down), and the roommate has been the one pushing me in the wheelchair and helping me out while I've been down. There were a couple of days at its worst where he had to do almost everything for me - including getting me dressed as I couldn't bend over far enough to put on my underwear, pants, socks, and shoes. (Those were some really embarrassing days, and only because of the amount of pain I was in did they happen).

I'm planning on only doing half-days at a time at the parks, with "down days" to recuperate. Roughly thinking, something along the lines of rope-drop to noon/1 pm at Universal/Isle of Adventure, then back to the resort for a couple of hours, then SeaWorld from 4 to close. Then reverse the parks the next day, and the third day either a full resort rest day, or just a half day (morning probably) at one park (probably US/IoA). My only "Disney fix" will come from visiting Downtown Disney Springs on June 12, when I'm hoping to watch Jurassic World and Avengers: Age of Ultron (and maybe Tomorrowland). Pretty sure I can managed to sit in stadium seating at the movies as comfortably as I can sit in the ECV. :thumbsup2

So, sometime this afternoon, if the orthopedic doesn't have major issues, I guess I'll need to start my other trip report.

If I remember correctly, didn't you say that she was about 9 months old? For most breeds, that is a little early to transition to adult food, and especially for large breed dogs - recommendation is to keep them on puppy food until they are 18-24 months old. All dogs will spend about 12 months growing (skeletal system) but then large breeds will spend another 6-12 months "bulking" out to their full size. So, food might definitely be an issue. I am absolutely biased, and admit it upfront, but I'd recommend trying her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy for another 6-9 months. PM me your email address and I'll send you a 15% coupon for PetSmarts "Friends and Family" promotion. (Anyone else that wants it can PM me as well).

She is a little over a year old now. I had her on Orijen Large Breed Puppy food but she seemed very tired of it so I decided to try Orijen Regional Red which has great reviews. I think I'm going to switch her back to the puppy food though since she now won't touch the new food (she loved it at first). I'm also going to try to get her into the vet but don't want to spend a fortune for tests that will show nothing... toe nails could be an issue... although our walks are on sidewalks so I think they stay short due to that. I haven't had them trimmed in months though since she HATED that. Thanks for the tips!

She is a little over a year old now. I had her on Orijen Large Breed Puppy food but she seemed very tired of it so I decided to try Orijen Regional Red which has great reviews. I think I'm going to switch her back to the puppy food though since she now won't touch the new food (she loved it at first). I'm also going to try to get her into the vet but don't want to spend a fortune for tests that will show nothing... toe nails could be an issue... although our walks are on sidewalks so I think they stay short due to that. I haven't had them trimmed in months though since she HATED that. Thanks for the tips!

Hmmm, walks on concrete could cause a different nail problem. My Rose broke a nail on a side walk once and she limped for 2 days. She jumped over a tree branch and I guess landed exactly wrong. It broke in the quick and she left blood spots for a block or more til we got home and I could get something for it.

We'll its June and we have our budget with the added student loan payment. Unfortunately because of our income they supposedly can't lower the payment any. It's so frustrating to continlely look like we make X on paper and being punished for it. My DH is working on getting the interest rate lowered. Hopefully when our income dips when I go PT in the fall we can readdress the issue with salliemae.
It's been really stressful to realize that his student loans have nearly doubled because we haven't been able to pay them and still really can't, I've been a walking anxiety attack for the last week.
We are use the EveryDollar app for the first time, so far I like it. Has anyone on here used it? I know YNAB is the popular choice around here but we're big supporters of Dave Ramsey.

We are still swimming! :fish:
Currently, we are on track to pay off all cc debt by Aug 13. Dh will have 35 hours of OT on his next check and 10 on the one after that. :love2:
Also, this is still assuming that ds18 still can't find a job this summer and won't need a car so it's not over til it's over. I do really hope he can find something though. The only way you know you have a good job is to first have a crappy job.
They say don't count your chicks before they hatch but it's hard not to.
I'm dying for a trip to Disney but with our payoff date so close, I can't stop now.
:hourglass

If I can keep scraping up more and bump the payoff date up to 8/6 or even late July, we might still be able to go in Sept using the snowball $ for Aug & Sept. :cloud9:

Hmmm, walks on concrete could cause a different nail problem. My Rose broke a nail on a side walk once and she limped for 2 days. She jumped over a tree branch and I guess landed exactly wrong. It broke in the quick and she left blood spots for a block or more til we got home and I could get something for it.

Her paws have looked fine through all of this. The front paw limping only lasted a day and the stiffness in her back legs lasted two days. She couldn't jump on my bed like she normally does. Now she's back to her old self but she also hasn't touched the new food again. I fed her a dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen) tonight and she gobbled it up. I'm convinced there is something amiss with the new food so I'll be returning this almost full bag for a new bag of her old puppy food.

Last edited:
Highest interest rate cc is scheduled to be paid off in full tomorrow!! party:

Woo hoo! Doesn't it feel great?! :cloud9:
Every week I feel like more weight has been lifted off of me.
So, sometime this afternoon, if the orthopedic doesn't have major issues, I guess I'll need to start my other trip report.

Great news! Have a wonderful time!

We'll its June and we have our budget with the added student loan payment. Unfortunately because of our income they supposedly can't lower the payment any. It's so frustrating to continlely look like we make X on paper and being punished for it. My DH is working on getting the interest rate lowered. Hopefully when our income dips when I go PT in the fall we can readdress the issue with salliemae.
It's been really stressful to realize that his student loans have nearly doubled because we haven't been able to pay them and still really can't, I've been a walking anxiety attack for the last week.
We are use the EveryDollar app for the first time, so far I like it. Has anyone on here used it? I know YNAB is the popular choice around here but we're big supporters of Dave Ramsey.

I'm sorry if you already explained this earlier but do you have to go PT in the fall? At my work anyway, PT is actually half time, 40 hrs biweekly. Is there any way you can delay this?

Woo hoo! Doesn't it feel great?! :cloud9:
Every week I feel like more weight has been lifted off of me.

Great news! Have a wonderful time!

I'm sorry if you already explained this earlier but do you have to go PT in the fall? At my work anyway, PT is actually half time, 40 hrs biweekly. Is there any way you can delay this?

I'm going back to school for my teaching credential and I need mornings free for various reasons, that added to the little boy I care for is headed to preschool so it's actually working out on that front. It's kinda up in the air right now how many hours I'll actually be working. I'll be guaranteed 30, and can probably get as many as 37 if the mom is out of town for work. There is also the possibility of adding a neighbor kid for a shared care. So there are options for minimizing actual money lost, I'm just working 50+ now so crunching the numbers, adding in new out going money plus trying to save for my school is all very overwhelming.

Woohoo!!! Out of darkness and into the light!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks! A second cc will be paid off in full next week once I get the remainder of the funds from the sale. Then I'll add what I was paying on these two cc's to my other payments. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Well dayvewc, were you cleared for take off by your doctor? :car:

lol. not sure if cleared for takeoff was quite the correct phrase. I asked about going on vacation (actually, I phrased it as "I plan to leave on Sunday for vacation.") and the doctor asked where I was going. I just said "Orlando." and he replied with "Well la-de-da." Direct quote. I'm not really impressed with this orthopedic doctor. I kind of think he prefers I not go, considering that after I told him I planned to go on vacation next week, he prescribed 3 days of physical therapy. o_O But he didn't say to NOT go.

Being honest, I'm really questioning if I should go, considering how much pain I was in when I woke up this morning (and yesterday morning for that matter). At the same time, I have deliberately not been taking the prescribed pain pills since Tuesday 1) to see if I can deal with the pain; 2) to minimize accidentally overdoing it and causing additional injury and; 3) to save as many of them as I can for while I'm on the trip. I don't want to be loopy and miss things while vacation, but I'd rather be loopy on vacation than loopy at home.

For some reason I did not get any alerts that there were updates on our thread, catching up now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter