DCL Make a decision please!

Disney is doing a CDC test sail for Dream, so any sailing is contingent on a certification from the CDC roughly 20 days subsequent to that test, or pending a second test to address deficiencies. Given test sail date and timelines, DCL doesn't know if 8/2 is going to sail, or on what terms.

That's understandable. However, IMO I believe they should not be requiring guests to PIF for any sailing until they do know for sure if that particular sailing is a go.

I'd been wondering how soon after a test cruise a ship could do a regular trip. Where did the 20 day timeline come from?
I've sort of pulled 20 days out me bum, but it's based on the Technical Guidance.

Everyone on the test sail has to be tested 3-5 days after disembark, and the line has to report any known COVID-19 cases identified in up to 14 days after the sailing.

So by that measure, the CDC cannot issue a certificate until +14 days from disembark. Add in data submission time and admin and maybe a weekend, and it feels like 18-20 days is the inside after a near-perfect test.

(I'd further say having at least 7 days of holding the certificate before a scheduled sailing would also be nice, because turning plans on a dime within 7 days is rough for a passenger, potentially. Obviously, it would be better to be a good 2-3 weeks.)

To require vaccination, DCL would have to limit kids to 5% or less (depending on vaccinated adults) and that would be hugely problematic in a number of ways based on existing bookings.
My 16 year old is fully vaccinated. 12-15 are approved to be vaccinated already. Soon the next lower age bracket will be. By the time the cruises would set sail, the vast majority of children will be eligible to take the vaccine.

Is anyone in here on the August 2 Dream cruise? If so, did you have to pay in full yesterday with zero information from Disney on if you will sail and on what terms? I have some time before my pay in full date, but I don't think we will be doing so with zero information.
We just booked that cruise and paid in full on the off chance it sails. if it doesn’t go can just get the 125% FCC.

Do they have to do the CDC test run for each ship or are they fully cleared after getting approved after the Dream does it’s test?

If DCL changes departure port for Alaska this summer from Vancouver to Seattle, would they let PIF passengers cancel without penalty?

Is it true that we can change a reservation within 15 days of sailing without penalty? Can I do that even if changing to an already booked cruise?

Thanks!

Do they have to do the CDC test run for each ship or are they fully cleared after getting approved after the Dream does it’s test?

If DCL changes departure port for Alaska this summer from Vancouver to Seattle, would they let PIF passengers cancel without penalty?

Is it true that we can change a reservation within 15 days of sailing without penalty? Can I do that even if changing to an already booked cruise?

Thanks!

Every ship must do a test sailing out of every port they intend to sail out of (so the Dream can't do Canaveral and then sail out of Miami). Assuming they want to go the non-vaccination route that is. Maybe they'll do a mix of 98/95 cruises on certain ships/itineraries and test cruises on others.

Alaska almost certainly has to be a 98/95 scenario or canceled because the test cruises have to stop at all U.S. ports, so a Seattle to AK test cruise would have to stop at the AK ports (so it seems).

It feels like the Dream and Fantasy may get test cruises out of Canaveral to do those 3-4-7 day sailings and we may have to wait on other ports / itineraries? The Wonder hasn't made a move toward Seattle and the Magic is tied up in the UK.

My 16 year old is fully vaccinated. 12-15 are approved to be vaccinated already. Soon the next lower age bracket will be. By the time the cruises would set sail, the vast majority of children will be eligible to take the vaccine.
Soon for under 12 is Labor Day. Data for the approval process takes some time to build.

I've sort of pulled 20 days out me bum, but it's based on the Technical Guidance.

Everyone on the test sail has to be tested 3-5 days after disembark, and the line has to report any known COVID-19 cases identified in up to 14 days after the sailing.

So by that measure, the CDC cannot issue a certificate until +14 days from disembark. Add in data submission time and admin and maybe a weekend, and it feels like 18-20 days is the inside after a near-perfect test.

(I'd further say having at least 7 days of holding the certificate before a scheduled sailing would also be nice, because turning plans on a dime within 7 days is rough for a passenger, potentially. Obviously, it would be better to be a good 2-3 weeks.)
Thanks! 20 days seems like a reasonable timeline, given the requirements you noted.

I imagine that 21-28 days after a test cruise is probably what they are aiming for as far as how soon after the test they want to do a sailing for paying customers. It sounds awfully expensive to have to have the entire crew (servers, room attendants, entertainment staff, ) sit and wait aboard the ship while the timeline ticks by. They’ll want to start making money ASAP after a test Given all those staff will be aboard and getting paid with nothing to do.

One thing I’d been wondering about is the entertainment staff, and how they’d get shows ready and have rehearsals. I guess the period after the test and before real guests come aboard could be a pretty intense rehearsal period.

Shh, you're going to make it look like that was the CDC plan all along.

which means they are ok with the Vaccine requirements. That's what I want. If only the parks had a way to verify that everyone that are pretending they are vaccinated are really vaccinated.

off topic, but why? If you yourself are vaccinated, you are statistically safe without a mask...conversely, if you yourself aren’t vaccinated, you should wear a mask. This includes at WDW.

No need to verify what others are doing; the CDC took this into account when it made its new masking recommendations 3 weeks ago, and things have vastly improved (in the US) since even then.

off topic, but why? If you yourself are vaccinated, you are statistically safe without a mask...conversely, if you yourself aren’t vaccinated, you should wear a mask. This includes at WDW.

No need to verify what others are doing; the CDC took this into account when it made its new masking recommendations 3 weeks ago, and things have vastly improved (in the US) since even then.
That poster is probably hoping that the spread of Covid will decrease, which is less likely if unvaccinated people go unmasked. The more Covid spreads, the more variants there will be, and the more general exposure there will be, which means more risk for everyone, including people who are vaccinated.

Last edited:

I am vaccinated, I won't die of covid. If I stay around groups of other people who are also fully vaccinated then I won't get or spread covid.

It feels like the Dream and Fantasy may get test cruises out of Canaveral to do those 3-4-7 day sailings and we may have to wait on other ports / itineraries? The Wonder hasn't made a move toward Seattle and the Magic is tied up in the UK.

The Magic's UK sailings may count as test cruises. They do not have to follow CDC rules but have to follow the European rules which are actually currently a lot stricter. It would mean that after September they could return back into service without having to run another test cruise in US waters but who knows.

I understand why it may be difficult for DCL to state final decisions until literally weeks before each cruise. I just don’t think that their policies are flexible enough. Yes, you can reschedule a cruise up until 15 days before, and they moved back PIF dates but full cancellation penalties are still hefty. Who know now if someone can commit to rescheduling for 2022? It still turns the “do I pay? Do I gamble for the 125% credit?” into a game and I have zero patience for games. It’s also not fair for the later season folks like myself waiting to see if an August cruise is cancelled, knowing that the people who booked an early July cruise have had the benefit of already using their 125% for the 2022 season - by the time my cruise is cancelled, will any rooms even be left for 2022 Itinerary? Why should o slim pickings and someone else whose original cruise was a mere 2 weeks before mine have had their reservations now for weeks? Disney needs to allow full refunds until 15 days before sailing or they need to allow the 125% to be used for an expanded amount of time. They need to make calls that are equitable across seasons. If an entire season itinerary for booking is announced at one time, then the same should go for cancellations. And yes I get this will plug up their phone lines.

The Magic's UK sailings may count as test cruises. They do not have to follow CDC rules but have to follow the European rules which are actually currently a lot stricter. It would mean that after September they could return back into service without having to run another test cruise in US waters but who knows.
The CDC will not permit the Magic's UK sailings to serve as test cruises. The technical guidance is very clear on this from several angles.

DCL may use the sailings to inform processes stateside, but the sailings will not be part of a CDC sailing certification.

The CDC will not permit the Magic's UK sailings to serve as test cruises. The technical guidance is very clear on this from several angles.

DCL may use the sailings to inform processes stateside, but the sailings will not be part of a CDC sailing certification.

Fair enough. In which case then I guess they wont be doing a test cruise until after September so maybe they are hoping by then they wont need to do one? Would a TA maybe count?

Fair enough. In which case then I guess they wont be doing a test cruise until after September so maybe they are hoping by then they wont need to do one? Would a TA maybe count?
It would not, for a couple reasons in the tech guidance.

It has to use the same embark point as the real cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter