DCL Make a decision please!

I agree, the silence is really frustrating. If they have no plans to resume in the U.S. with vaccinated only passengers...say so. If they want to let the other lines re-start this summer while they take a wait-and-see approach for a month or two, say that...and then cancel August. Give people some kind of indication how (and when) you intend to resume, and how it may differ from other cruise lines who have outlined their re-starts.

You would think you would have heard something concerning Alaska by now. With Florida, DCL likely doesnt know what's going to happen. It's a volatile situation as far as Florida is concerned.

It could also be logistical issues or may not be fully confident they can recall enough staff. Cruise lines have international crews. And international travel is still restricted in much of the world. Right now it's not easy to get a visa approved....even with vaccination.

I am also surprised they haven’t made any official decision on august, but if I had to guess I don’t think most will sail.

At this point I am just hoping and pleading with the universe that Disney will give us some sort of an update soon! Most of the August cruises need to be paid in full in the next week or two. I’m debating on just canceling it myself and re-booking sometime in the fall. That would allow me to take a Halloween on the high seas cruise, hopefully get into one of the boo bash parties, and also hit up a 50th anniversary date in October.

I’m with you though, I don’t see August sailing. (I’m on Dream 8/9-8/13)

We are so tired of waiting, want our Disney fix this summer. Was looking at late July Disney World trip but things are pretty booked, afraid its going to be too crowded. Finally decided we would re book our twice canceled cruise for August, chances are it will be canceled again.

At this point I am just hoping and pleading with the universe that Disney will give us some sort of an update soon! Most of the August cruises need to be paid in full in the next week or two. I’m debating on just canceling it myself and re-booking sometime in the fall. That would allow me to take a Halloween on the high seas cruise, hopefully get into one of the boo bash parties, and also hit up a 50th anniversary date in October.

I'm on 8/9 too. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath. :sad2:

We are on the September 4th sailing on the Fantasy (PIF date is June 6) and we likely will not know until July. So frustrating.

I'm on 8/9 too. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath. :sad2:

Another here on the Aug 9 Dream. Really hard to see it happening (probably 5% chance, at best), PIF date is 10 days away. So hopefully they make a call soon.

DCL hasn't said anything for a reason...things are too fluid right now. Other cruise lines keep going back and forth on which ships will start, when they will sail, if vaccines will or won't be required, etc. DCL doesn't want to play that game.

Today is the last day of mediation between the CDC and state of FL on the lawsuit last month. There is also rumors that the cruise lines and the FL government are in negotiations.

DCL will wait for all the dust to settle on that before saying anything. Maybe we get lucky and that all happens in the next week or so. Or it could drag for another month.

Once we hear official word on things like the lawsuits and vaccine requirements with the state, my guess is a DCL announcement will come soon after. Until those happen, patience is all we have.

Well now that DCL has announced they will do a test cruise on June 29th, I think we have the beginning of an answer for the Dream re vaccination requirements (test cruises likely means they do not plan to sail with 95% passenger vaccination requirements). We are to sail on the Fantasy in late September, so I hope they provide some additional clarity on what they will require in terms of vaccinations and covid measures on board. I'm sure many passengers will need that information to decide if they plan to sail or wish to cancel/postpone (myself included). I'd like to actually plan a vacation.

Other cruise lines keep going back and forth on which ships will start, when they will sail, if vaccines will or won't be required, etc. DCL doesn't want to play that game.
What cruise lines have been waffling? NCL, RCL and Celebrity have been consistent with their messaging since they confirmed sailings from the US.

What cruise lines have been waffling? NCL, RCL and Celebrity have been consistent with their messaging since they confirmed sailings from the US.
RCL said they were evaluating vaccines, then said vaccines required on all US sailings, then changed language to just apply to Seattle sailings.

Carnival said they won't require vaccines in US, then said they haven't made any decisions, then said vaccines mandatory from Seattle. They posted specific dates for new cruises to sail without having port agreements in place, or test cruises scheduled.

Norwegian said 100% vaccines so that they could sail as soon as possible, then later updated that even with that requirement some of their ships wont sail until Nov 2021-Jan 2022 timeframe

Its just a mess of info. I'm all for positive news and getting people excited, but I don't like how lines say "we will set sail on x date" without doing their due diligence first. Don't say vaccines one way or another and then change your mind. Wait until you are sure.

Looking at the other threads here, new info just leaked today about test cruises on Dream. Yet notice we still don't have any official press release from them. They are being very slow and methodical in publishing info. The other lines aren't. Richard Fain does a youtube video every other week. Its fun to watch, but usually created more questions than answers.

jrapps - I think WA State was pretty clear that no one was sailing out of there without the vaccinations. Should be interesting to see how the FL law suit/mediation shakes out. I agree that it's likely that news will impact announcements on cruises out of FL. You bring up some really good points.

I'm all for positive news and getting people excited, but I don't like how lines say "we will set sail on x date" without doing their due diligence first. Don't say vaccines one way or another and then change your mind. Wait until you are sure.
Exactly. This is what Disney is doing, being methodical and careful. It frustrates people who are booked for this year & want hard answers, but it's very likely that even Disney doesn't have those answers yet. Anything they were to tell us right now would likely just be leading us astray. They're going to do test cruises at the end of the month- they'll have to see how those go before making firm decisions about return to sailing.

Honestly, at this point I'm pretty sure that Disney knows exactly how it's going to go, but we're now at the whims of the Parks & Resorts marketing calendar. That's mostly a good thing--the communication about early sailings from Celebrity has been incomplete and lacking, and I'm sure that Disney wants to be unified and clear in their messaging. But it also means that we're probably stuck waiting for the early Wish bookings and the Disneyland Avengers Campus launch and anything else that they want to get out before they'll say anything about this.

THIS! This is what is driving me crazy! :crazy: Even if they can't definitively say anything, at least give us an idea of what is going on...what they are trying to do to get going. It wasn't bothering me before because I figured our August cruise would not be going, just another month of no cruising. But now, seeing another cruise line with plans, almost every night on the news, and silence from DCL is like torture. :hyper: Throw us a bone, DCL!
Precisely... even a comment saying "hey, we haven't made a decision about vaccines."

Same thing is going on with theme parks. Universal is the trailblazer, Disney lags behind with indecisiveness.

In case people haven't spotted, the Wonder has been listed on Seattle ports from end of July onwards so I think they are looking at rescheduling through there.

In case people haven't spotted, the Wonder has been listed on Seattle ports from end of July onwards so I think they are looking at rescheduling through there.
which means they are ok with the Vaccine requirements. That's what I want. If only the parks had a way to verify that everyone that are pretending they are vaccinated are really vaccinated.

The issue there at this point is that making it to Seattle for the season is dubious right now. They have to crew the Wonder, quarantine each incoming crew member for 7 days with testing, get them vaccinated, and have the vax waiting period burn (2 weeks after last shot). Even with J&J that is 21 days lead once they have crew on board, which has not yet happened. Added pain point is they cannot bring in past crew from India and a couple.other countries, hard stop travel ban.

While part of the burn time can be used to deadhead the canal, they will also need to test to tie up in Seattle, and they have to have some wiggle room there. So you are looking at needing 28 days plus getting crew on to be able to sail, and it is already June 3. If we do not see a lot of action around crewing the Wonder pretty quick, it most likely means West Coast season is a goner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter