DCL Has Their Protocol Out!!!

I absolutely think people don't like the policies that were released and are cancelling. I don't agree that those who are fine with it will see a couple youtube videos or posts and all of a sudden everyone starts thinking how much it all sucks in comparison to what we see in the UK.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I think there certainly are people who, right now, think that they are totally cool with the policies, but might have buyer’s remorse after seeing some videos of the policies in action.

But I agree with you that DCL’s refund policy isn’t them “trying to get ahead of the curve” on a wave of negative reviews. They released the policy, they knew a lot of people weren’t going to like it, and they are giving them an out.

And they kind of had to, right? At least for the people now past their PIF. Can you imagine the fallout if they instituted the policy and told the post-PIF people, “If you don’t like the new COVID policy, then it sucks to be you, because standard forfeiture rules still apply.”

.. and there are families like mine who have had covid ( and those that haven't) that would like to cruise with their kids without the vaccine mandate. It will probably even out. I think in general cruise lines have a long road ahead until they are back to normal. If you want a cruise with no restrictions and no kids there are plenty of options.

And?

Again I am not saying this doesn't suck for some families. All those comments were about how someone would not cancel before the Aug deadline and then see a couple vlogs and how supposedly the cruises suck so bad they would then cancel.

I am simply stating I don't think Disney is worried about additonal people cancelling based on the first sailing. They just want people who don't like the new policy to cancel so others can book their room who do want to sail.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I think there certainly are people who, right now, think that they are totally cool with the policies, but might have buyer’s remorse after seeing some videos of the policies in action.

Except you can already see the policies go watch the UK cruise. Only difference is no vaccination requirement. They even show the covid testing requirement in the vlog I watched in the terminal.

These videos exist, the policies can already been viewed in videos and blog reviews, and nothing really different is happening in the US except with the removal of testing for those vaccinated (which is more relaxed then the UK).

I think there certainly are people who, right now, think that they are totally cool with the policies, but might have buyer’s remorse after seeing some videos of the policies in action.

I agree with this.

I think once the excitement of the return to cruising announcement wears off, many will start to look at the restrictions logically and change their minds. I've already seen it happen today in a couple of FB cruise groups I'm in. I think it will get worse once people see the restrictions in action.

Last edited:
Except you can already see the policies go watch the UK cruise. Only difference is no vaccination requirement. They even show the covid testing requirement in the vlog I watched in the terminal.

These videos exist, the policies can already been viewed in videos and blog reviews, and nothing really different is happening in the US except with the removal of testing for those vaccinated (which is more relaxed then the UK).

That’s not my point (e.g., “new” videos vs. UK videos).

My point is that now some people know for sure that their Aug/Sept/Oct cruise is going to happen (as opposed to the limbo they’ve been in), they might be initially “all-in” until they watch any video (be it a newly-produced one, or one from the UK) where they see the protocols in action.

But again, I agree with you that DCL isn’t anticipating a wave of negative videos when the U.S. cruises resume. If for no other reason than most people who wind up going on those cruises with the protocols in place are probably big fans who will produce videos with a positive slant regardless.

Just a guess, but I think DCL is keeping this refund option open only for a limited time because they have no interest in letting people cancel post-PIF with full refunds any longer than they (DCL) have to. I’m sure that screws with a lot of logistics wholly separate and apart from anything to do with COVID.

Last edited:

That’s not my point (e.g., “new” videos vs. UK videos).

My point is that now some people know for sure that their Aug/Sept/Oct cruise is going to happen (as opposed to the limbo they’ve been in), they might be initially “all-in” until they watch any video (be it a newly-produced one, or one from the UK) where they see the protocols in action.

But again, I agree with you that DCL isn’t anticipating a wave of negative videos when the U.S. cruises resume. If for no other reason than most people who wind up going on those cruises with the protocols in place are probably big fans who will produce videos with a positive slant regardless.

Just a guess, but I think DCL is keeping this refund option open only for a limited time because they have no interest in letting people cancel post-PIF with full refunds any longer than they (DCL) have to. I’m sure that screws with a lot of logistics wholly separate and apart from anything to do with COVID.

Also note that there are cruises on the Fantasy that are past their PIF date and don’t qualify for the current extended Dream refund option.

We are going to sail (assuming the Fantasy starts up as scheduled). Two reasons are the extra 25% that got us a nicer cabin and if we cancelled, we would lose our insurance $$. We know I could kick it another year to 2022, but I already waited a year and a half from when I booked my original cruise.

I am anxious to get confirmation on how the Fantasy is going to run and that it is lockedin to start. Hopefully that will be in the next couple of weeks.

Masks for the vaccinated? No wonder why there’s so much vaccine hesitancy out there. What’s the point of getting a shot if you have to follow all the same rules as if you’re not vaccinated? I’m out. I’ll go to NCL. I’m not paying over $3k for a four night vacation just to wear a mask.

How on earth do you expect them to keep track of who is and who isn't vaccinated, and who would you put in the position of policing that onboard. I wouldn't take that job for anything. And how often will you actually be wearing that mask. If you are dining, it's off....if you are drinking, it's off....if you are in your cabin, it's off....if you're watching a show, get a snack or drink....it's off while consuming.

How on earth do you expect them to keep track of who is and who isn't vaccinated, and who would you put in the position of policing that onboard. I wouldn't take that job for anything. And how often will you actually be wearing that mask. If you are dining, it's off....if you are drinking, it's off....if you are in your cabin, it's off....if you're watching a show, get a snack or drink....it's off while consuming.
Other cruise lines are doing it with a bracelet. Give vaccinated people a bracelet like at Disney theme park after hours events. The people policing it will be the very same people that are now going to be telling all the people with their noses out to pull their masks up.

Just to clarify, on the UK sailings you’re not allowed to eat or drink while in the cinema or theatre due to the mask requirement.

Other cruise lines are doing it with a bracelet. Give vaccinated people a bracelet like at Disney theme park after hours events. The people policing it will be the very same people that are now going to be telling all the people with their noses out to pull their masks up.

On Royal Caribbean they are doing the bracelets. However, in general areas where both vaccinated and unvaccinated can mingle, masks must be worn indoors by all. They have set up some areas that are only accessible to vaccinated guests. When in those areas only, they are free to remove their masks. So it's not the same thing.

On Royal Caribbean they are doing the bracelets. However, in general areas where both vaccinated and unvaccinated can mingle, masks must be worn indoors by all. They have set up some areas that are only accessible to vaccinated guests. When in those areas only, they are free to remove their masks. So it's not the same thing.

Your post asked "How on earth do you expect them to keep track of who is and who isn't vaccinated, and who would you put in the position of policing that onboard. " I simply stated that other cruise lines do it with a bracelet and the same people that will be policing it now. I don't know where the "So it's not the same thing came from" I never said it was the same thing nor did I imply that it was. You asked 2 simple questions and I gave you 2 simple answers.

And how often will you actually be wearing that mask. If you are dining, it's off....if you are drinking, it's off....if you are in your cabin, it's off....if you're watching a show, get a snack or drink....it's off while consuming.
Just to clarify, on the UK sailings you’re not allowed to eat or drink while in the cinema or theatre due to the mask requirement.
This is not Disney's first time at this. They are well aware of the actions of the wannabe rule breakers and will take steps to stop it. For people who then think that they are just going to sit down at a table and take their mask off. If Disney is OK with it, they will let it go. If Disney decides that it is a problem they will do like they did at WDW and tell you that the mask has to be on except when actively eating or drinking and that can mean in between bites. AT WDW it meant don't take the mask off until after your food arrived at the table and put it on after you are done eating.

This is not Disney's first time at this. They are well aware of the actions of the wannabe rule breakers and will take steps to stop it. For people who then think that they are just going to sit down at a table and take their mask off. If Disney is OK with it, they will let it go. If Disney decides that it is a problem they will do like they did at WDW and tell you that the mask has to be on except when actively eating or drinking and that can mean in between bites. AT WDW it meant don't take the mask off until after your food arrived at the table and put it on after you are done eating.
DCL's raison d'etre isn't policing guests. They'll do it when they have to, but they like to keep that kind of thing minimal. They're engineering their mask mandate to keep policing to a minimum. Everyone masked, which makes it less likely for some guests to try to shirk (because everyone else would notice and look at them), and it makes any needed enforcement much easier (no arguing about the bracelet being left in the stateroom, no kids mad that their older brother doesn't have to wear a mask but they do, etc).

Last edited:
I'm reading that mask compliance is good on the Magic and is being enforced. Is anyone hearing otherwise? My husband wants to cancel our September Western right now due to the unknown number of unvaccinated guests and switch to another line that is sailing with 95% vaccinated. I'm trying to take a more measured approach to the stay/cancel evaluation, but lack of mask compliance/enforcement would be a deal breaker for me as well.

I'm reading that mask compliance is good on the Magic and is being enforced. Is anyone hearing otherwise? My husband wants to cancel our September Western right now due to the unknown number of unvaccinated guests and switch to another line that is sailing with 95% vaccinated. I'm trying to take a more measured approach to the stay/cancel evaluation, but lack of mask compliance/enforcement would be a deal breaker for me as well.

Every single Vlog I have watched , the mask compliance seems to be very high. People are just so happy to be able to experience a Disney cruise, that the mask requirements and all the other new procedures don't seem to be impacting their enjoyment of the cruise experience.

Trying to be realistic now that the excitement of DCL resuming has worn off. Putting together a pro/con list of sailing with these protocols:

PRO:
Cruising again on DCL
DCL quality
DCL cleanliness
Less crowded on ship and CC
DCL will continue to update protocols as needed

CON:
No fish extenders
No character meet and greets (assumed)
No deck parties
No basketball
No hammocks
Masks required indoors
No popcorn during movies
No shuffleboard
Lack of time in kids clubs
Cost of cruise very high given restrictions

Still working on more. Our cruise isn’t until February so we have some time. And I know DCL can not win either way. Things will continue to change.

Just not sure how I feel. I was happy yesterday and depressed today. We go on cruises for escapism and much of the fun listed on the CON list that makes me wonder why pay DCL prices for none of the amenities that make DCL shine.

It wall all come down to each individuals pro and con list. For me the biggest con right now is when I wake up after a peaceful sleep on DCL with no care in the wind and feeling great i then need to grab a mask and jolt back into reality that things are not normal and that just isn’t what I want to do on vacation. But others may value that. I think DCL is going a little overboard with stuff like basketball, shuffleboard and hammocks as we should not be worried about outdoor and contact issues.

Yesterday was so excited, today would likely cancel, tomorrow who knows :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts