DCL Has Their Protocol Out!!!

So I called Disney just now to cancel our January cruise after reviewing the protocols. I know a lot of people will be excited/happy about the new rules, but I am not. I’m very sad to cancel, But this will now force me to try other cruise lines which Ive wanted to do. Like a lot of others, I’ve been looking at the Edge.

The reason I’m posting is the reaction I got from the CM on the phone; when I started to share my displeasure at several aspects, she immediately told me she didn’t want to hear any negativity and we needed to talk about the positive. ( I am assuming this is something Disney told their CMs to keep it positive but at this exact moment I am feeling sad.) I told her I am the customer and had a right to share my thoughts, so she basically allowed me to say a few things but rushed me along and didn’t acknowledge. I am not rude or loud, so it bothered me that apparently Disney isn’t concerned about how I feel. (I know, big surprise.) I know I’m only one person in their sea of customers, but Ive been a loyal cruiser and I’m sad to be canceling my cruise. 😓

I won't commiserate yet, we are going January 3-7, 2022 and have three adjoining (two are connecting) verandahs with our daughters family and her in-laws. - hopefully we will be able to get an appointment for a spa treatment, get good activities in Oceaner's Club albeit once a day for our almost five year old grandson, be able to use the pools without long waits, have a limited nursery back by January 2022 for our year old grandson (and be able to have our grands vaccinated by then), see the musical show once, see a movie once, have room do to a couple of the tastings. BTW saw no mention of tastings yet- My second Disney Cruise, and while I loved not having to plan so much on the first one, I am used to planning after multiple trips to WDW. My husband will be happy to sit on the balcony with room service!

I mentioned the Rainforest Room in another post. Pretty pricey. On the other hand, it's for up to 10 people so the cost could be split among members of the group- this is where cruise meet groups could really come in handy. And with a max of 10 people, it shouldn't be as hard as usual to get a heated lounger, etc.

We cruise as a family (me, DW and DS). DS is a minor so can't go to the Rainforest Room. We don't know anybody else on the cruise. So the 10 person thing is smoke and mirrors for us. I think for many families cruising Disney it's that way.

The reason I’m posting is the reaction I got from the CM on the phone; when I started to share my displeasure at several aspects, she immediately told me she didn’t want to hear any negativity and we needed to talk about the positive.
I could imagine that DCL might be trying to avoid having their booking phone lines tied up by disgruntled cruisers complaining (no matter what protocols they presented, some people were going to be unhappy), so they might have instructed their CMs to curtail the amount of time they would listen to customers complaining about the protocols.

The CM on the phone did not make the policy and has no power to change it, so there's no point complaining to them, anyway. (I'm a teacher, and have occasionally had to sit through parent rants about district or state government policy for which I have absolutely no input. It's a waste of time for all involved.) You should direct your complaints to Disney management in writing.

Last edited:
We cruise as a family (me, DW and DS). DS is a minor so can't go to the Rainforest Room. We don't know anybody else on the cruise. So the 10 person thing is smoke and mirrors for us. I think for many families cruising Disney it's that way.
I feel like this price is a mistake. Are they kidding. I always do Rainforest and I don't normally have 9
people I bring along.

For our family, there would also be a timing issue for the tests: when we sail with DCL we generally arrive 3 days in advance (normally we're sailing in winter months so that allows buffers for weather related schedule changes). That makes it challenging to place in the pre-cruise PCR test timing-wise. Families having a pre-cruise WDW stay could likewise have a challenge in needing to arrange for the testing during that pre-cruise stay. Walgreens for example has many locations that do PCR testing with most results within 48 hours.

Vault online tests. You order them. They are overnighted to your house. When you need to test, you log in and a dr watches you take the test. You then overnight them back. Results in 24 hours. You can test from anywhere. Very easy. My boys used them for travel to Hawaii.

I admit I haven't read the policy yet --- so asking a question I may be able to find by dedicating some time to reading. Is the booking of kids clubs for ALL the clubs? Our kids are in Vibe - older teens.

They actually could. CCL and RCL are both requiring 95% vaccination rates. And masks for unvaccinated guests only. DCL, besides from exempting you from the testing, is acting like there is no vaccine yet at all.
Under 12s have to be in the 5%, there is no freebie card in the 95% for children. So this would be difficult for DCL.

it bothered me that apparently Disney isn’t concerned about how I feel. (I know, big surprise.) I know I’m only one person in their sea of customers, but Ive been a loyal cruiser and I’m sad to be canceling my cruise. 😓
I'm sure you just wanted to voice your displeasure, and the CM probably could have handled that differently so you didn't feel shut down. There probably is nothing to be gained right now by CMs taking down a litany of complaints.

I think DCL is well aware that many people won't like the protocols. That was bound to be the reaction regardless of which way they went with things. More restrictive = people not happy; less restricive = a different set of not-happy people. Plenty of loyal cruisers in both groups. I agree with PP above that DCL has likely instructed the phone CMs not to engage in discussion of negatives but focus calls on the positive.

It's not a mistake as it's almost 2 hours of dedicated access. You're not going to get that for $15 or $20.
Yeah but i go 45 minutes to hour tops in the morning on each sea day. Certainly not paying that
each day. Especially on 10 day or longer cruises.

So I called Disney just now to cancel our January cruise after reviewing the protocols. I know a lot of people will be excited/happy about the new rules, but I am not. I’m very sad to cancel, But this will now force me to try other cruise lines which Ive wanted to do. Like a lot of others, I’ve been looking at the Edge.

The reason I’m posting is the reaction I got from the CM on the phone; when I started to share my displeasure at several aspects, she immediately told me she didn’t want to hear any negativity and we needed to talk about the positive. ( I am assuming this is something Disney told their CMs to keep it positive but at this exact moment I am feeling sad.) I told her I am the customer and had a right to share my thoughts, so she basically allowed me to say a few things but rushed me along and didn’t acknowledge. I am not rude or loud, so it bothered me that apparently Disney isn’t concerned about how I feel. (I know, big surprise.) I know I’m only one person in their sea of customers, but Ive been a loyal cruiser and I’m sad to be canceling my cruise. 😓

If you want to complain, the CM's that book cruises isn't really the appropriate place. They have no power and other than venting, it really serves no purpose other than to clog up the already too busy phone lines. It's much more effective to email them.

We have a spring cruise and while there are a couple of protocols that would cause us to cancel, I'm waiting to see what happens by then. 6 months is long time.

Where did you read this? I thought I read everything but missed this one.
It says that masks will be required on trams and in shops, restrooms & dining pavilions while not eating, on Castaway Cay. It says that Pelican Plunge's line will mostly be on land instead of on the landing so that they can distance people in line. There will be no hammocks because they're not able to be sanitized.

Last edited:
No. Children of vaccinated parents would be given the same status. In Canada travel is being organized the same way for now…until those younger than 12 are vaccinated in thr fall/winter

At least on RCCL, there are areas in the dining room for parents with unvaccinated children that are separate from the areas for vaccinated guests, and unvaccinated kids cannot go in the vaccinated only venues.

By the way I know some posters are upset but remember it is not like the CM's are personally setting
the protocols. They are relaying orders from the top. I had to call yesterday about an upcoming
WDW trip and the CM I spoke with sounded so stressed. She told me they have been getting angry calls
about long lines and FP+.. dining... trams etc. Sad. Remember where DCL/WDW decisions are coming from.
Corporate!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter