DCL Has Their Protocol Out!!!

“Guests will be assigned ONE table for the entirety of the cruise.” Does this mean we will only be dining in one of the restaurants? Every night? For seven nights?? Nope nope nope.
No. Your table number is the same even when you switch restaurants- it's always been this way and DCL is explaining that procedure to prospective guests who don't know how it works. Guests will still dine at all three restaurants. Plus, every travel party will get a private table.

Last edited:
“Guests will be assigned ONE table for the entirety of the cruise.” Does this mean we will only be dining in one of the restaurants? Every night? For seven nights?? Nope nope nope.
That’s an interesting one- I can read it both ways how it’s written of you’ll always be table 23 in each restaurant or as you’ll always be table 23 in the SAME restaurant-

My family is fully vaccinated but coming from Canada. That’s an $325 US plus the testing I need to do here. We have travel insurance but I’m not sure if it covers Covid illnesses as I heard some removed that. So not including insurance we would need to pay at minimum $1000 just for tests. Not including what I need on the way back.

You will likely have a lot of difficulty finding any Canadian travel medical insurance that will cover a cruise at all while the Level 4 "avoid all travel" on cruises advisory is in place from the Government of Canada. Coverage on top of that for covid will be even more difficult.

When the Canadian government drops the level to level 3 for cruises some of the travel emergency medical plans will then again cover cruises, but one would need to check carefully for covid-related coverage as many still have full or partial exclusions for that or it is an additional add-on [often with more limited coverage, so be aware of what limitations are etc].

For our family, there would also be a timing issue for the tests: when we sail with DCL we generally arrive 3 days in advance (normally we're sailing in winter months so that allows buffers for weather related schedule changes). That makes it challenging to place in the pre-cruise PCR test timing-wise. Families having a pre-cruise WDW stay could likewise have a challenge in needing to arrange for the testing during that pre-cruise stay. Walgreens for example has many locations that do PCR testing with most results within 48 hours.

In the same boat. Holding out hope for spring 2022. Had to cancel last year and kids were brutally disappointed. No basketball hoops for teens, lack of shows and club limits will be deal breakers for us. We have gone to resorts this year with one hour per day limits on pools and activity areas and that was not fun at all. Spending this kind of money for reduced experiences…time will tell…
We have a spring 2022 cruise booked as well (rescheduled from April 2021). We will probably end up doing Disney instead if this remains. I don’t really want to put my daughter through 2 covid tests (she can’t get vaccinated as of yet) and I’d rather have the less restrictions at Disney. I’m actually pretty iffy on the cruise to begin with, with everything going on. If it wasn’t for my husband, I would have canceled already TBH

For our family, there would also be a timing issue for the tests: when we sail with DCL we generally arrive 3 days in advance (normally we're sailing in winter months so that allows buffers for weather related schedule changes). That makes it challenging to place in the pre-cruise PCR test timing-wise. Families having a pre-cruise WDW stay could likewise have a challenge in needing to arrange for the testing during that pre-cruise stay. Walgreens for example has many locations that do PCR testing with most results within 48 hours.
Hmmm this is true too. We have a pre cruise stay at WDW as well. I don’t really want to spend the limited time we have there looking for a place to take a PCR test for my daughter

Not necessarily. Many people cost insurance anyway. We always sail with DCLs insurance policy.

All kids under 12 will need a $100 PCR test days before. The only real added cost world be an extra $65 for unvaccinated 12+at the pier. That isn't that much of a cost difference between being vaccinated and un- vaccinated.
My husband already said he wants to cancel (this will be our 6th cancelled cruise) and I can’t say I disagree. I’m going to make a spreadsheet. We sail in September on the Fantasy in concierge and then a Christmas back to back on Fantasy in regular veranda. I hope things are different before Christmas. I just feel really sad and defeated today.
You will likely have a lot of difficulty finding any Canadian travel medical insurance that will cover a cruise at all while the Level 4 "avoid all travel" on cruises advisory is in place from the Government of Canada. Coverage on top of that for covid will be even more difficult.

When the Canadian government drops the level to level 3 for cruises some of the travel emergency medical plans will then again cover cruises, but one would need to check carefully for covid-related coverage as many still have full or partial exclusions for that or it is an additional add-on [often with more limited coverage, so be aware of what limitations are etc].

I didn’t even factor that in. The plan was to go to Wdw the week before so I would need to test to enter the us, before the cruise and then at the port terminal?

That’s an interesting one- I can read it both ways how it’s written of you’ll always be table 23 in each restaurant or as you’ll always be table 23 in the SAME restaurant-
Do you really think Disney is going to pull a gotcha on cruisers without telling them in advance that they'd be limited to one ADR? That would be an extreme restriction & spelled out in advance. I didn't see anything to give the idea that guests are limited to one restaurant. The policy has always been to assign one table that you have in all three restaurants, but people who haven't cruised Disney before don't always know that, so they're stating it specifically. The bigger point here is that every party is getting a private table. DCL is pointing out that all guests will have an assigned place to eat and that they won't be eating with strangers.

Do you really think Disney is going to pull a gotcha on cruisers without telling them in advance that they'd be limited to one ADR? That would be an extreme restriction & spelled out in advance. I didn't see anything to give the idea that guests are limited to one restaurant. The policy has always been to assign one table that you have in all three restaurants, but people who haven't cruised Disney before don't always know that, so they're stating it specifically. The bigger point here is that every party is getting a private table. DCL is pointing out that all guests will have an assigned place to eat and that they won't be eating with strangers.

UK sailings are doing rotational so its assumed it’s as normal

Our insurance (and I suspect most insurance) covers travelers for illness, regardless of what the illness is. Cancelling because you're afraid of getting Covid is something else & that's covered by CFAR insurance. But typically you don't need CFAR coverage to be covered due to coming down with Covid.

they did outline the coverage now to say the policy can not exclude covid related illnesses , so folks do have to make sure covid is covered in the policy selected.

I didn’t even factor that in. The plan was to go to Wdw the week before so I would need to test to enter the us, before the cruise and then at the port terminal?

That is my understanding. As someone arriving from outside the US, DCL will require you to be tested even if fully vaccinated, per the info they released today.

Assuming you are flying to the US, the US requires you to be tested before entry to the US (see timeframe below). DCL requires within 5 days of embarkation, so depending on how those dates line up you may or may not be able to use the same test for both purposes. However, assuming your pre-cruise WDW visit is at least several days long, then you couldn't and would need to also get a PCR test done while in the US during your pre-cruise stay. And then be tested again at the port prior to getting on the ship.

Here is the CDC info about the pre-arrival test required for air travellers to the USA: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html ["tested no more than 3 days before their flight departs"]. See the question on that page "What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?" for the test types allowed; PCR is not the only test type that is acceptable for that purpose (entering USA) -- which can be helpful because an antigen NAAT test is usually cheaper than a PCR test and results are usually available faster.

SW

Any news as to when we the Safe Passage website will be operational? Trying to set up our accounts. TIA

We can work with this, but I would have much preferred vaccines required for 12+. I guess deep down I knew they wouldn't/couldn't require them at this time.

They actually could. CCL and RCL are both requiring 95% vaccination rates. And masks for unvaccinated guests only. DCL, besides from exempting you from the testing, is acting like there is no vaccine yet at all.

Yay! The protocols look great!
  • Full vaccination exempts you from testing requirements. :love:
  • No masks required on the outdoor decks or on Castaway Cay. :love:
  • Muster drill has been modified & made easier. :love:
  • Twice-daily housekeeping will continue. :love:
  • In-stateroom dining will continue. :love:
  • Private tables for every travel party. :love:
  • Fewer guests onboard than usual. :love:
I'm ready to sail!

You skipped a few things.
$174 for 1:45 in the Rainforest once? You used to be able to get length of cruise for that. Masks required for spa treatments. And since you have to reserve the Rainforest Room, I don't see how they can include that in your spa treatment, which has always been the case as well.

This is fantastic news! Testing makes much more sense than a vaccine requirement in my opinion. I don't love masks inside but it won't ruin the trip at all, pretty much the only extended time we spend inside is for dining and shows. We have the EBPC booked for November, it seems like too much to hope for that they'll be having longer cruises and visiting multiple ports by then but maybe there is a chance. That one is without our (young adult) kids and with this new announcement, we may add in a 4 day on the Dream with the kids to get a 4th ship in and boost our Castaway Club status up to Platinum.

You skipped a few things.
$174 for 1:45 in the Rainforest once? You used to be able to get length of cruise for that. Masks required for spa treatments. And since you have to reserve the Rainforest Room, I don't see how they can include that in your spa treatment, which has always been the case as well.
I mentioned the Rainforest Room in another post. Pretty pricey. But with a max of 10 people, it shouldn't be as hard as usual to get a heated lounger, etc.

Last edited:
No I disagree. One table is not the same as one restaurant. In fact, the wording is "Guests will be assigned to the same table and service team for dinner, with one travel party per table." Indicates a private table, not shared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter