"Day of" reservations

bladiator

Disney on my mind
Because of the 24-hour cancellation penalty, I have heard that a lot of people cancel their reservations right before that. Is that true?

My wife and I would like to do some dining, but really don't care if we can't get reservations and will do a nice counter service any day. So, I'm just sorta looking for anecdotal evidence to say that a decent number of reservations open up 24 hours before the actual day. :) Thanks!

If you are not dead set on specific restaurants and have flexibility around where you eat and when (which sounds like you are), you will find a lot of same day options. Being a party of 2 also helps, it's definitely harder to get large party last minutes ADRs. I'm an uber planner, so I always book everything well in advance, but I've also done my fair share of last minute changes. On my last trip (late August/early September) I had to cancel a Whispering Canyon ADR and was able to pick one up 2 days later. On a previous trip, I was able to get a 6:00 BOG dinner at around noon that same day. I've also been able to successfully change the time of breakfasts the night before when waking up super early wasn't looking like it was going to happen. Places like Tusker House, Crystal Palace, etc... I am travelling at a low to moderate crowd time, so that makes it a bit easier, but it's also free dining time so that makes the TS restaurants a bit busier overall.

You could always experiment a bit and randomly go onto MDE some morning and see what ADRs are available for that night, that may help ease your mind on the amount of availability that comes up.

Also note that you can cancel up to midnight the night before, so it's not a full 24 hours that is needed. So your best bet is to try after midnight (if you're awake) or first thing in the morning for that same day.

It's definitely true that there are a lot of day-before, and week-of cancellations. I've snagged "day before" and "day of" reservations at BOG, 'Ohana, and other in-demand restaurants. Use the My Disney Experience app on your phone, check periodically through the day, and you'll be set to snag a few of your own.

DH and I have quite a few 'favorite' restaurants, and we can always find availability for at least one of them 24 hours or less out. If you absolutely have to eat at a certain restaurant or at a specific time then you should probably reserve in advance, if you are flexible on location and time then you shouldn't have an issue.

We've used the app for same-day reservations fairly often with good results. We've never been trying for super-popular restaurants because very few of those are on our list of favorites, but we've never had a problem finding somewhere good and conveniently located to eat.

Also, if you're not on the dining plan, quite a few of the restaurants and resorts have lounges that don't take ADRs but have really good food.

Just looked for tomorrow and lots of hard to get stuff w availability including character meals BOG Ohana, etc

We make very few ADR's for our trips and wing stuff most of the time so I'm on the app fairly often looking for last minute ADR's. I've seen just about every restaurant with last minute availability. On our last trip, I thought, boy, you have more luck booking BOG 24 hours before than 180 days prior! Obviously, there's no guarantee you'll snag anything, but we've had all kinds of luck with last minute ADR's and walk-ups. We've snagged last minute ADR's for Chef Mickey's and O'hana, walked up to Garden Grill, WCC, Skipper Canteen, we walk up to Spice Road Table virtually every trip. The only restaurants we consistently CANNOT get last minute ADR's or walk-ups are the afternoon tea at GF and Le Cellier. Otherwise, it's always been a fun surprise when we open the app and see what's available. If you aren't dead set on going to certain places at certain times, it's kind of fun to just go with the flow!

Oh my. I just checked for tomorrow too and everything is open! Not sure why I got up at 6 am six months before for a lot less selection than reserving 24 hours out!

Yay just got April a couple weeks after my booking window opened. I thought I'd be checking daily for months =)

Oh my. I just checked for tomorrow too and everything is open! Not sure why I got up at 6 am six months before for a lot less selection than reserving 24 hours out!

At 6 months outer people are trying to plan, but have no concrete idea of the exact park hours, FP times, or even specific plans. As their trips closes in they drop any extra ADR's they may have made, and once they arrive, they drop ADR's they no longer want. But at 6 months out? There are a lot of JIC ADR's in place.

Because of the 24-hour cancellation penalty, I have heard that a lot of people cancel their reservations right before that. Is that true?

My wife and I would like to do some dining, but really don't care if we can't get reservations and will do a nice counter service any day. So, I'm just sorta looking for anecdotal evidence to say that a decent number of reservations open up 24 hours before the actual day. :) Thanks!
Anecdotal, yes.

But based on an undeniable fact - Disney charges $10/person for ADR's that are not cancelled, so there is an incentive to cancel ADR's before 24-hours (when the penalty for being a 'no-show' would be applicable).

Further, in a similar 'analysis', people start canceling ADR's once their plans become more solidified at 60-days prior to any given date; since 60-days is when FP+ plans can be made.

So the anecdotal evidence begins 60-days in advance, as well as 48-hours before a particular date.

Good luck!

On any given day just go and look what is available for that day or the next. We bailed on HS one day and made a day of ressie at Grand Floridian Cafe. If you are somewhat flexible in location there should be at least a couple options to choose from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter