DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Actaully, I was thinking more about trying to get OUT of the queue (just thinking about Navi River Journey as one example) by trying to go backwards through the line, on a scooter... finding a CM to tell you need to do this would be a challenge in inself, but actually getting out would be a nightmare.
I had gone alone to Animal Kingdom early one morning. I am not disabled - my husband and I take turns going to the parks alone so we can do things our disabled daughter can't or won't do.
I had been in the line for Navi River Journey for about 20 minutes when the line came to a stop. After about 10 minutes, guests in front and behind me started to leave. Some had wheelchairs or ECVs and were still able to get past those of us who were still in line.
Not saying this would happen in every line, but it did work there
Most of the CMs I've encountered in ride queues ask about transfering to ride vehicle, and "in the event of an emergency, can you do X"? (could be descend steps, walk x far out, etc) to exit the ride using back corridors - of course, I use a scooter and bring my cane along if they let me, so they know they need in advance, to perhaps be able to assist. Since my answer is "yes", I've never thought about folks who would not be able to do that... I would assume that they have some additional level of assistance to get everyone off.
My daughter is one of those people.
We would need to wait for her to be evacuated
Last November, my rollator was waiting at the end of the rides. My husband would hop out and get it for me.
This ⬆️
Things like canes or crutches can sometimes be brought onto the ride vehicle. Can seats might be able to be too.
Any mobility devices/tools that the guest doesn't want to bring on or are too big/bulky to bring on will be handled by CMs
Interesting pre-selects DP on the approved/not thread. Someone who was approved after the new rules went into effect was able to do pre-books for a June trip. I don’t expect that to stay around, kinda wondering if maybe since they’re traveling during the transition period they were able to do them?

I know pre-selects aren’t that popular but if you were approved under new rules and are interested, it might be worth trying to book them on the chat.
It's been reported from the first announcements that the DAS Advance Selections (pre-selects) would be going away.
I think the reason they are still available is that everything until June 20 is still in the transition period

This. I genuinely don't think guests are gonna cross their arms and make it hard for folks with or without mobility devices to leave the line.
They may not physically block you, but people can be cruel in other ways. Before I applied received DAS years ago, I attempted to leave the line and was followed by comments from a group of adults. “Not everyone can handle this ride”
“Only ***** get scared of the ride”
“Why’d they wait this long and then leave? What a waste of time”
Experiencing this when you’re already trying to manage an emergency medical situation can suck the magic right out of your tinkerbell spirit.

It's likely they will be pretty ok with folks walking out. An ECV in a darkish hall even when trying not to bump people or run over toes might be met with a different reaction. It's a large device in a small area.
I’ve witnessed ECVs needing to exit a queue too - everyone did what they could to help, including hopping into the adjacent LL for the few seconds it took for the EVC to go by. I promise, I’m not trying to be argumentative - I just really want to reassure folks that WDW guests, at least (I’ve never been to DLR, so I can’t speak to that), are not making things difficult for other guests who need to get out of a queue! We’re a lot friendlier here in FL than we’ve been made out to be. :)
The bigger issue may be returning. As mentioned above, perceived line cutting will sometimes bring on negative responses.
I honestly don’t think this will be an issue, either, as it sounds like the method of returning is via LL. I haven’t seen any reports to indicate that pile who leave a line and return to their party are made to fight their way back through the SB line. I’ve had occasion to do just that a few times and it wasn’t a big deal: I may have gotten some dirty looks - I wasn’t paying attention to notice, but nobody said anything or tried to block my way. The times I have seen guests try to make it difficult for others to join their party in a line, it was large groups of teenagers trying to push their way through - a very different situation than a single person or an adult with a child.

It’s going to be awhile before I have to apply under the new DAS system because we won’t be getting a new DL Magic Key until after the summer months (most are blocked out then anyways).

I just want to say thank you to everyone sharing their experiences in the mean time. It helps me to be able to see how things are going for those in similar situations to me.

As someone on the spectrum, change is hard, so I’m trying to keep up with how the change is impacting everyone and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share with us ❤️
FYI there was a detailed experience posted on reddit by an adult with autism and the CM took 20minutes to walk through his symptoms and needs that made staying in the queue a challenge.

If you ask foe their patience and be articulate about your needs, the CMs appear to at least give you the space to do so. He got his DAS request approved

I have a question about the "return to Queue" option. My mom(75) is going on her first ever vacation with my daughter and I this summer. We are going to try for DAS, but i am really worried she won't qualify due to the changes. She has frailty from cancer which we were already planning to help w/a scooter, but she has severe anxiety and agoraphobia which affects her ability to do things. She has never been able to work due to this condition. She struggles to go out in crowds w/us and manages but it is due to us being nearby.
My question is: If she panics in the line and needs to leave, she is going to panic without us near her in or out of the lines. Can we all leave the line w/her? If not, the RTQ option will do nothing for her anxiety.
Any suggestions?

My question is: If she panics in the line and needs to leave, she is going to panic without us near her in or out of the lines. Can we all leave the line w/her? If not, the RTQ option will do nothing for her anxiety.
Any suggestions?
The best suggestion at this point is to discuss it with the CM when it's time for her DAS video chat. At this time I have no heard of party of 3 getting DAS, though I have heard of DAS granted "because" someone was a party of 2 (therefore able to stay together). I don't know the details or if possible that individual needs assistance and thus there would be no 3rd person left to hold the spot in the queue. Again, at this point the best suggestion is to ask when she does the video chat.

They may not physically block you, but people can be cruel in other ways. Before I applied received DAS years ago, I attempted to leave the line and was followed by comments from a group of adults. “Not everyone can handle this ride”
“Only ***** get scared of the ride”
“Why’d they wait this long and then leave? What a waste of time”
Experiencing this when you’re already trying to manage an emergency medical situation can suck the magic right out of your tinkerbell spirit.
I'm truly sorry you experienced this. It is however not the type of behaviour that is being feared will happen. Even so, your experience is the first one I've ever seen of this type. I've left lots of lines, no one has said anything to me. I've also hurried to catch up with my group lots of times, and no one has said anything or looked at me with angry eyes either.

FYI there was a detailed experience posted on reddit by an adult with autism and the CM took 20minutes to walk through his symptoms and needs that made staying in the queue a challenge.

If you ask foe their patience and be articulate about your needs, the CMs appear to at least give you the space to do so. He got his DAS request approved
I think I saw that one! I’ve seen a range of denials and approvals for both adults and children alike. In all honesty, at this point I really feel like it’s about whether or not someone can communicate HOW their autism presents challenges in a queue environment and what impact it has on their ability to access rides.

Some people struggle to explain how it impacts them in the queue itself and they fall back on general descriptions of autism, but they really need to know how it impacts each individual personally since everyone is different. For some it will be clear that DAS is the only appropriate solution, while others may seem capable of handling a return to queue option based off of how they describe things.

My partner usually helps advocate for me with theme park accommodations because I find it hard to communicate verbally with people I’ve never spoken to before. Especially over the phone. I’m hoping they’ll still allow him to assist as usual. I can usually answer some more simple questions but he’s much better at explaining my needs since he also SEES how it impacts me from an outside perspective. He’s able to give real life examples of my experiences in queues (whether lighting lane or attempting standby).

When Universal changed to their new process, they let my partner handle the entire call for me. He said it was about a 20 minute discussion of my needs as well as him providing examples of my experiences in their queues in the past. As a result, they were able to offer a more fitting accommodation for me than in years past when we applied in person and were given the ‘base’ option of accommodation. He felt like my needs were actually heard rather than the simple questioning they used to do at the park.

I’m hopeful that long term Disney is going down that same kind of route where they’ll have a handful of different accommodations they can offer based off what they feel would work best for the individual after discussing and hearing their needs. I think right now we’re seeing them assign a lot of different (viewed by many as lower) accommodations rather than DAS but hopefully it will balance out over time and people will be given what they truly need to make sure it’s possible for them to enjoy the parks. Not just easier, but possible.

Can a person in this situation safely ride many rides at Disney? Don't most rides have a chance of some mechanical or other issue that could make the ride close to 60 minutes? There was an issue one time when I was on Pirates that made the ride well over an hour.
Also Another person here who can’t do queues but can do rides.

I think the average person who can’t do queues but can ride is hyper aware of the possibility of a ride breaking down. And thus being overly exposed to said elements.

(Or at least I am)

But there is a massive difference between a situation that is out of your control. Versus a situatation in a queue where your battered by things that you could avoid and this is in your control if your exposed to it

Both might end up ending my day entirely. But one would be entirely on me for not realizing I can do something.

This isn’t a general complaint at focused on you but people need to understand that no it’s not the same thing to not take accomodations you can get versus something unexpected like a ride breakdown. And I wish people would stop treating it like they are when they aren’t.

I'm truly sorry you experienced this. It is however not the type of behaviour that is being feared will happen. Even so, your experience is the first one I've ever seen of this type. I've left lots of lines, no one has said anything to me. I've also hurried to catch up with my group lots of times, and no one has said anything or looked at me with angry eyes either.
It isn't the behavior of other guests, it is the physical dimensions of the queue, I can think of several where turning around would be physically impossible with a mobility device and I can think of several where it would be very possible and several where it will depend on where you are in the queue, so the question is what do you do where it is physically impossible?

Also Another person here who can’t do queues but can do rides.

I think the average person who can’t do queues but can’t ride is hyper aware of the possibility of a ride breaking down. And thus being overly exposed to said elements.

But there is a massive difference between a situation that is out of your control. Versus a situatation in a queue where your battered by things that you could avoid and this is in your control if your.

Both might end up ending my day entirely. But one would be entirely on me for not realizing I can’t do something.

This isn’t a general complaint at focused on you but people need to understand that no it’s not the same thing to not take accomodations you can get versus something unexpected like a ride. And I wish people would stop treating it like they are when they aren’t.
Yes, you take the accommodations and you are aware of the possible issues.

Additionally, you may be able to handle a break down, but it may cause further issues, For example, for us, iif a ride breaks down, our issues may make that the last ride of the day depending on the situation, but we know that's a risk when we chose to ride that attraction.

I have a question about the "return to Queue" option. My mom(75) is going on her first ever vacation with my daughter and I this summer. We are going to try for DAS, but i am really worried she won't qualify due to the changes. She has frailty from cancer which we were already planning to help w/a scooter, but she has severe anxiety and agoraphobia which affects her ability to do things. She has never been able to work due to this condition. She struggles to go out in crowds w/us and manages but it is due to us being nearby.
Any suggestions?
One of your would be able to leave with her and one stay to keep your spot in the line.

I think most attraction lines will probably be less uncomfortable for her than crowed areas of the parks and various pre show rooms. I would avoid parts of fantasy land and the after fireworks rush for sure. Make sure you are leaving the park early.

Someone who has been unable to work from agrophobia is going to find WDW very uncomfortable and a real challenge so maybe try to take the parks very easy in general and have a much more resort based stay.

It isn't the behavior of other guests, it is the physical dimensions of the queue, I can think of several where turning around would be physically impossible with a mobility device and I can think of several where it would be very possible and several where it will depend on where you are in the queue, so the question is what do you do where it is physically impossible?
Lets not move the goalpost. The concern/scenario I was responding to was about guests calling people names and blocking others from exiting the line if they needed to. It was not about line dimensions or conditions.

This. I genuinely don't think guests are gonna cross their arms and make it hard for folks with or without mobility devices to leave the line.
Interestingly enough I am actually worried about those using mobility trying to exit the line because my autistic son will likely not react well... He would need to move all the way over, feel crunched next to others, and someone going in the "wrong" direction will likely set off a mini meltdown. He has some extremely rigid thinking... I haven't applied for DAS under the new rules... I am not sure he will qualify because of how they are denying so many people including adults with autism (he is a minor but barely) but this is something I am very worried about with the new return to queue part.

In my experience as a WC user, it really becomes a problem when you meet another WC or ECV in line. You’re kinda stuck then since it’s not wide enough to pass. I once had to get out of my chair, scoot on the floor past while my husband lifted my chair over an ECV, get back in my chair, then continue our nightmare journey out of line (all while people stared like I was a zoo animal lol). We just went home after that experience

Interestingly enough I am actually worried about those using mobility trying to exit the line because my autistic son will likely not react well... He would need to move all the way over, feel crunched next to others, and someone going in the "wrong" direction will likely set off a mini meltdown. He has some extremely rigid thinking... I haven't applied for DAS under the new rules... I am not sure he will qualify because of how they are denying so many people including adults with autism (he is a minor but barely) but this is something I am very worried about with the new return to queue part.
I have issues with this even as an adult. Due to the rigid thinking you mentioned, I get very upset by people 'breaking the rules' and cutting the line, even when I know logically that many of them are just returning to or meeting up with their families. I can't help it. Cutting DAS for both Autistic people (as it seems many adults are being denied) and people who will need to leave/re-join lines will exacerbate issues for both.

Oh,.haven't thought of that scenario since ce it's rare to have evc going back up the queue. Just today a large group.pushed through the LL with little caution or apologies and our autistic adult son almost reacted very badly to them.

Lets not move the goalpost. The concern/scenario I was responding to was about guests calling people names and blocking others from exiting the line if they needed to. It was not about line dimensions or conditions.
That's not moving the goalpost, that has been question from day one and everyone has pretty much dismissed it, but it is still a valid concern.

I have issues with this even as an adult. Due to the rigid thinking you mentioned, I get very upset by people 'breaking the rules' and cutting the line, even when I know logically that many of them are just returning to or meeting up with their families. I can't help it. Cutting DAS for both Autistic people (as it seems many adults are being denied) and people who will need to leave/re-join lines will exacerbate issues for both.
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. No matter how much I tried to think logically about it, I was always put off by people rejoining or ‘joining their party’ in queues. I could never wrap my head around why they wouldn’t all be together at the start.

While some people are at least nice about it, others would literally just shove past and you can imagine how that goes 🙃 Without going into detail, it’s one of the reasons I realized I needed to utilize DAS regardless of the line length.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter