DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

It's likely they will be pretty ok with folks walking out. An ECV in a darkish hall even when trying not to bump people or run over toes might be met with a different reaction. It's a large device in a small area.
The bigger issue may be returning. As mentioned above, perceived line cutting will sometimes bring on negative responses.
Again, no one is gonna risk their toes by step in the way of an ECV that is trying to exit a queue. It wins quests literally nothing to be in the ECVs way.

And no one is gonna be "line cutting". When the guest is ready to return and join up with their party, they will do so at the merge via the LL. After having gone thru the LL, not cutting thru required.

I am sure this has been said, but I can't read 300 pages lol.
I think this is all to sell more genie plus.
I can only go on certain rides due to a disability. I have trouble doing anything like test track where I have to step down in and back out. Space mountain is a complete no for me. I am an ambulatory wheelchair user.
I use DAS for other reasons related to being in a line.
That being said, if the suggestion is for me to buy genie plus - ok - but I can only ride something with faster line ONCE. There are some rides I love to ride over and over because I am physically able to ride them. So many of the genie plus options I can't even ride - so what happens after I use the few I can and then its a waste. For instance my most fave ride is guardians in DCA - I could ride that all day. Also Soarin' - these are very easy for me to get in and out of. Having a DAS allows me to choose MY rides that I can utilize. Genie Plus does not allow that -one and done :(
I just invested in DVC as well and now really regretting that :(
We sold our membership in 2016. Went from 3-4 trips a year until none last Nov. We brought 2 of our grandchildren who were moving to S. Korea. This week we’re bringing out other 2 and we’re done.

Interestingly enough I am actually worried about those using mobility trying to exit the line because my autistic son will likely not react well... He would need to move all the way over, feel crunched next to others, and someone going in the "wrong" direction will likely set off a mini meltdown. He has some extremely rigid thinking... I haven't applied for DAS under the new rules... I am not sure he will qualify because of how they are denying so many people including adults with autism (he is a minor but barely) but this is something I am very worried about with the new return to queue part.
In my experience as a WC user, it really becomes a problem when you meet another WC or ECV in line. You’re kinda stuck then since it’s not wide enough to pass. I once had to get out of my chair, scoot on the floor past while my husband lifted my chair over an ECV, get back in my chair, then continue our nightmare journey out of line (all while people stared like I was a zoo animal lol). We just went home after that experience
Both very valid concerns. Just not what I was responding to, which was guests in queues maliciously not letting leaving guests pass by and/or making mean comments about it.

I hadn't thought about some autistic guests having a bad reaction to others leaving, but I can see it. I have a possibly autistic friend (no formal diagnosis) who might have gotten upset like that when I met them over a decade ago.
That's not moving the goalpost, that has been question from day one and everyone has pretty much dismissed it, but it is still a valid concern.
I never said it wasn't a valid concern. It's just not relevant to what I was talking about, which as I have mentioned a few times, is the worry that guests will deliberately get in the way of other guests leaving just to be rude and mean.

I am sure this has been said, but I can't read 300 pages lol.
I think this is all to sell more genie plus.
I can only go on certain rides due to a disability. I have trouble doing anything like test track where I have to step down in and back out. Space mountain is a complete no for me. I am an ambulatory wheelchair user.
I use DAS for other reasons related to being in a line.
That being said, if the suggestion is for me to buy genie plus - ok - but I can only ride something with faster line ONCE. There are some rides I love to ride over and over because I am physically able to ride them. So many of the genie plus options I can't even ride - so what happens after I use the few I can and then its a waste. For instance my most fave ride is guardians in DCA - I could ride that all day. Also Soarin' - these are very easy for me to get in and out of. Having a DAS allows me to choose MY rides that I can utilize. Genie Plus does not allow that -one and done :(
I just invested in DVC as well and now really regretting that :(

A large percentage of daily guests also have personal ride restrictions. Not just those previously using DAS. Age related (not being able to get in/out up/down) motion sickness, old neck/back injuries, etc, etc. They want to ride the calmer rides over and over too. They are usually older and have to make decisions about their time, health and ability to wait in the lines over and over. Again just like someone who no longer qualifies for DAS will have to.

Disney granting DAS to people that never should have qualified under the original design has caused it reach a breaking point as it’s being used far beyond its design.

Disney did physical line changes in the past to make the queues mobility accessible. Now they really have to step up and make the lines themselves work for those who have different disabilities that require leaving and rejoining the queues. With a huge amount of theme park visitors ageing and needing accommodation it really is the only solution that will work for them, while still allowing a small minority to have a system like DAS in place.

I really didn’t think we solo/single adult accompanying minor children folks were all that rare, but as I’ve yet to find many reports on using AQR from them at all, let alone for more than one attraction in a visit, maybe we actually are the unicorns of the parks lol?!

I go solo frequently, so there are at least two of us out there! I too am looking for reports and an understanding on how exactly AQR will work for solo park goers like us.

A large percentage of daily guests also have personal ride restrictions. Not just those previously using DAS. Age related (not being able to get in/out up/down) motion sickness, old neck/back injuries, etc, etc. They want to ride the calmer rides over and over too. They are usually older and have to make decisions about their time, health and ability to wait in the lines over and over. Again just like someone who no longer qualifies for DAS will have to.

Disney granting DAS to people that never should have qualified under the original design has caused it reach a breaking point as it’s being used far beyond its design.

Disney did physical line changes in the past to make the queues mobility accessible. Now they really have to step up and make the lines themselves work for those who have different disabilities that require leaving and rejoining the queues. With a huge amount of theme park visitors ageing and needing accommodation it really is the only solution that will work for them, while still allowing a small minority to have a system like DAS in place.
Vq for all?

While it is reasonable to expect Disney to reconfigure lines to make them easier to exit, providing DAS level accommodations to all because of a concern that someone else MIGHT say something rude when one is exiting during an emergency (and frankly in an emergency who cares what a random stranger thinks???) is not a reasonable request, Neither is granting DAS accommodations to someone who is concerned that someone else may need to exit the line for whatever reason. This is literally something that happens in every queue all day long.

The system has collapsed under its own weight. Based on a lot of the comments here I’m not at all surprised that it did. I’m only surprised that it took Disney so long to pull the plug.

While it is reasonable to expect Disney to reconfigure lines to make them easier to exit, providing DAS level accommodations to all because of a concern that someone else MIGHT say something rude when one is exiting during an emergency (and frankly in an emergency who cares what a random stranger thinks???) is not a reasonable request, Neither is granting DAS accommodations to someone who is concerned that someone else may need to exit the line for whatever reason. This is literally something that happens in every queue all day long.

The system has collapsed under its own weight. Based on a lot of the comments here I’m not at all surprised that it did. I’m only surprised that it took Disney so long to pull the plug.
I’m pretty sure no one is saying they require DAS for that reason. People have just voiced concerns as to how it would impact them in addition to other difficulties they face.

I agree that this situation should NOT be the one deciding factor as to whether someone gets DAS or not but it is something Disney should at least take into consideration when assigning accommodations to individuals.

Edit: Deleted part as I felt it went into too much detail.

Last edited:
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. No matter how much I tried to think logically about it, I was always put off by people rejoining or ‘joining their party’ in queues. I could never wrap my head around why they wouldn’t all be together at the start.

While some people are at least nice about it, others would literally just shove past and you can imagine how that goes 🙃 Without going into detail, it’s one of the reasons I realized I needed to utilize DAS regardless of the line length.
Yep. That's part of the reason I hate those pre-show rooms (which are, unfortunately, becoming the norm on new Disney attractions). Too many people push and shove their way to the front even though they came in last and should wait their turn. Pre-show rooms should have switchbacks so people have to stay in the order that's fair.

Yep. That's part of the reason I hate those pre-show rooms (which are, unfortunately, becoming the norm on new Disney attractions). Too many people push and shove their way to the front even though they came in last and should wait their turn. Pre-show rooms should have switchbacks so people have to stay in the order that's fair.
Agreed. A little organization or at least smaller groups in the rooms at a time would go a long way. I enjoy the Rise of the Resistance Kylo pre-show room because (at least at DLR) there are literal colored circles for everyone to stand on now and there’s no need to rush after that since seats are assigned by that point. One of the few I can actually fully enjoy.

Vq for all?
VQ for all doesn’t work because there isn’t nearly enough capacity in shops, dining, or shows for all guests to wait out their time. Obviously there needs to be a balance (someone waiting 4-8 hours for FoP isn’t spending money elsewhere), but some portion of park guests have to be waiting somewhere or the parks themselves would be unbearable.

I thought I’d maybe try getting a little positivity going on here because it’s been pretty bleak the last few days:

Do people have good methods to keep distracted in queues, for both adults and kids? Specific phone apps, games, etc.

Just think this might be helpful to people/families who are unfortunately getting denied DAS. I know this won’t fix most issues but sometimes a distraction can at least help a little, here and there.

Edit: Heads Up! is a very fun family game which I highly recommend. I also sometimes take a book/kindle into the parks when I’m going solo, which helps me get away from the madness of it all. I can’t say I’ve needed it in the queues (yet) because I’ve always had DAS, but I would imagine it could help time go by if you can drown out the noises around you.

Last edited:
I thought I’d maybe try getting a little positivity going on here because it’s been pretty bleak the last few days:

Do people have good methods to keep distracted in queues, for both adults and kids? Specific phone apps, games, etc.

Just think this might be helpful to people/families who are unfortunately getting denied DAS. I know this won’t fix most issues but sometimes a distraction can at least help a little, here and there.
Probably not the most healthy, but what is nowadays? Mine: Tiktok / Youtube shorts. Or Youtube in general for longer videos. Netflix.

Probably not the most healthy, but what is nowadays? Mine: Tiktok / Youtube shorts. Or Youtube in general for longer videos. Netflix.
Noise cancelling headphones (over-ear or airpods depending on your preference) can be helpful as well.

If you don’t want to use an electronic babysitter, my son really enjoys hunting for hidden mickeys or other “behind the scenes/inside jokes” that the imagineers have put into the parks.

(eg. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HXMS89...s_s_aps_series_rwt_tpbk&qid=1716807645&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Micke...&sprefix=hidden+mickey,digital-text,67&sr=1-1)

They are old but he absolutely loves them and has learned so much about Disney from them.

We also have done a few homemade scavenger hunts across the parks that let the kids be in the parks but not necessarily ride the rides. They have been enough times that rides are secondary to the pleasure of just being there.

Theoretically we could have qualified for DAS previously and likely still could today. Years ago when our oldest was diagnosed we considered getting the DAS pass but a conversation with his OT at the time made us decide not to. For my son he does have the cognitive ability to understand rewards and can build new skills so our OT pointed out that while waiting may be hard or unpleasant it also had a better reward then most exercises we could with him. We’ve stuck with that model ever since. We like the play Disney app, lots of i spy, name that song and other word games. I pack lots of small ziplocks with favorite snacks. That tends to do it for lines with any kind of continual movement.

Lines with stall points are more complicated. We pack noise canceling headphones for when things become too much. We don’t police laying on the ground like we do in other public locations, I bring a stash of dollar store toys (cars, slinky, mini play dohs) and we pull out YouTube or his switch without shame when needed.

I get the worry about uncertainty and the frustration of not having solid answers, I really do: I have my own concerns for how or if AQR would work for me if suggested in place of DAS. As a longtime WDW APer, I’ve gone through countless big changes in the parks, from the early days of ticket books for rides right up through Genie/VQ/ILL. The one constant is that Disney does what Disney thinks is best, and my options are to find a way to roll with the changes, or stop visiting. Which does NOT always make me feel happy! FWIW I think they’ve gotten a whole lot wrong. But I also can’t change that - I can only change how I react to it, right? It’s the same with these DAS changes.

I think every concern brought up here is valid. And the overarching message from the DAS team doing approvals/denials that, if denied, your only option is to show up at the parks and plead your case with attractions CMs is terrible. But that’s all we’ve got. For those who have trips coming up shortly, you really have a tough choice between giving it a try in person, or canceling. I’ll suggest that if you do go ahead and try the alternate accommodations and find they aren’t working, do another DAS video chat and tell them that you’ve tried and why it isn’t working - they need the feedback, and it might result in getting you a more appropriate accommodation. For those with trips planned down the road, I think you’ll have more to go on from other visitors’ reports and/or Disney may have had time to make things start working more smoothly.

For now, try not to panic. There have been multiple changes at WDW that I really thought spelled the end for me: changes too big to make visiting worth it for me anymore. Every time I’ve found that I could still make it work for me - not in the same ways as before, but in new ways. :flower3:

Theoretically we could have qualified for DAS previously and likely still could today. Years ago when our oldest was diagnosed we considered getting the DAS pass but a conversation with his OT at the time made us decide not to. For my son he does have the cognitive ability to understand rewards and can build new skills so our OT pointed out that while waiting may be hard or unpleasant it also had a better reward then most exercises we could with him. We’ve stuck with that model ever since. We like the play Disney app, lots of i spy, name that song and other word games. I pack lots of small ziplocks with favorite snacks. That tends to do it for lines with any kind of continual movement.

Lines with stall points are more complicated. We pack noise canceling headphones for when things become too much. We don’t police laying on the ground like we do in other public locations, I bring a stash of dollar store toys (cars, slinky, mini play dohs) and we pull out YouTube or his switch without shame when needed.
I think you make a really good point about building resilience.

My daughter has been completely deaf since birth and used to be very anxious in unfamiliar or busy locations. We decided she had to live in the world as it is and so decided not to avoid anything. She is now a confident teenager and able to go pretty much anywhere and navigate almost any situation.

I think as a parent of a disabled child the instinct can be to be too protective when what all children need is to learn to be the most independent and capable that they can, whatever that looks like for them.

We found WDW a great place to build confidence and reduce anxiety.

See the Guardians preshow as a prime example of this. Rode it yesterday and I actually felt like I was going to be trampled due to everyone rushing to the right side of the room. The hallway outside that room is also terrible. It's bad design, plain and simple.

See the Guardians preshow as a prime example of this. Rode it yesterday and I actually felt like I was going to be trampled due to everyone rushing to the right side of the room. The hallway outside that room is also terrible. It's bad design, plain and simple.
It IS terrible, but I have a remedy: stay to the left. In both rooms, stay as far left as you can be. Everybody else pushes to the right, so you just hang out on the left, hang back while they fight their way into the narrow hallway, and then you enter behind them, giving yourself as much space as you need. I’ve found this to be very effective!

I think as a parent of a disabled child the instinct can be to be too protective when what all children need is to learn to be the most independent and capable that they can, whatever that looks like for them.

It's not that I don't understand or agree with building resilience, I do. And.

For some disabled children, they are building resilience every day because their disability creates that many day to day challenges for them. All people deserve respite - a chance to just get away from the challenges for a short time and enjoy life.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter