DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Unless you are wearing a shirt that says “I have IBS/IBD” how would the cast member be able to distinguish between that need and a normal urge to go to the bathroom? My point about not being able to read minds is that they can’t. So they are trying to be inclusive here by providing all of the information that most guests would need. Obviously if it doesn’t apply then say thank you but that you need to go now.
It's more of the wording and potential tone of it all

It would be better worded as "is this an emergency"

I don't want to drag it out longer than this had too, just proves my point how all the third hand reporting is leading to misinterpretations and analysis' based off of those

People react that way as a learned response. A dog that is kicked often will learn to reflexively cringe/cower/snarl when ever a person walks by. It's no different with people with disabilities having to constantly defend themselves against cruel/ignorant comments and questions. Is it the right response? No, is it an understandable response? Yes. Especially because those who are disabled are at high risk of developing anxiety which definitely colors your view and reactions.
thanks for that comment, can only handle so many days of people saying "oh but at least you look good", some days you snap back, today is that day for me, apologies to anyone

Setting up and maintaining a blacklist of doctors whose notes will not be accepted? Checking to see how close the doctor's office is to the applicants residence (which is a dubious test anyway, as many people keep the same doctor when they move)? What a nightmarish can of worms all of that would be. Far easier to just stay with the current policy of not accepting doctors' notes.
The doc note approach seems like a lot less nightmarish than the current system IMO.

Also, question. If their best alternative is RtQ or buying Genie+, what happens on the days where Genie+ is sold out, like, physically not an available option? I have no doubt that those using the system will find out soon, but I’d be interested to hear what CMs say when someone says that Genie+ is sold out (especially if they come day of and ask).

Are they going to hold spots of Genie+ specifically for disabled people, is there going to be some kind of mark on your account that lets you utilize it no matter if it’s sold out or not? Are they going to do something else? If these are the options being presented to people, then I’d love to see what that looks like when we can’t utilize them as intended.

Also, question. If their best alternative is RtQ or buying Genie+, what happens on the days where Genie+ is sold out, like, physically not an available option? I have no doubt that those using the system will find out soon, but I’d be interested to hear what CMs say when someone says that Genie+ is sold out (especially if they come day of and ask).

Are they going to hold spots of Genie+ specifically for disabled people, is there going to be some kind of mark on your account that lets you utilize it no matter if it’s sold out or not? Are they going to do something else? If these are the options being presented to people, then I’d love to see what that looks like when we can’t utilize them as intended.
Genie+ is not being offered as an accommodation. Guests with disabilities are certainly welcome to purchase and use Genie+ the same as any other guest. Attraction Queue Re-entry appears to be the primary alternative accommodation, though some may find Rider Swap works. Or Single Rider may be an option for a few folks, though there are only a very few attractions at WDW with this option.

Genie (no plus) is mentioned as a tool to help with planning. It is a free service through your MDE account.

Doubtful at this point anyway- perhaps in the future when there are enough complaints, trips canceled, etc. and Disney sees the need to change their new system. Although, would this make it appear that the company is offering Genie+, a paid system, as an accommodation? If it comes to this, the Disney legal team will figure out the verbiage.

Genie+ is not being offered as an accommodation. Guests with disabilities are certainly welcome to purchase and use Genie+ the same as any other guest. Attraction Queue Re-entry appears to be the primary alternative accommodation, though some may find Rider Swap works. Or Single Rider may be an option for a few folks, though there are only a very few attractions at WDW with this option.

Genie (no plus) is mentioned as a tool to help with planning. It is a free service through your MDE account.
Eh, I’ve heard multiple people who have had calls in the last handful of days where the call ended with the CM suggesting pretty heavily that they utilize Genie+ or Lightning Lanes, as in, said it right to their face. I would consider that an offer of accommodation, considering those are the options that the CMs have given many people at this point. It’s all over Twitter, multiple people have been told to use it or use Rider swap or Return to Queue, I’m not just making this up, either.

Have you or anyone else seen/heard of anyone being told on a call that Rider Swap would be an available accommodation? I know the website mentions it, just wondered if anyone had actually been told on a call to use it.

Eh, I’ve heard multiple people who have had calls in the last handful of days where the call ended with the CM suggesting pretty heavily that they utilize Genie+ or Lightning Lanes, as in, said it right to their face. I would consider that an offer of accommodation, considering those are the options that the CMs have given many people at this point. It’s all over Twitter, multiple people have been told to use it or use Rider swap or Return to Queue, I’m not just making this up, either.
But telling some one they can use Genie+ (which anyone can use) is not the same as being told that’s the accommodation. I e heard of no one is saying that Genie+ was the only thing mentioned on the call.

Have you or anyone else seen/heard of anyone being told on a call that Rider Swap would be an available accommodation? I know the website mentions it, just wondered if anyone had actually been told on a call to use it.
Rider Swap is available to anybody... whether it works as an "accommodation" would depend on the situation. I'm not sure it's going to be offered directly during a DAS video chat for WDW unless the conversation went into that direction because it requires a non-rider.

Rider Swap for Disneyland/DCA works somewhat differently and does appear to be a possible accommodation for someone who needs to wait outside the queue.

I agree with the above -- absent the whole conversation, I honestly don't think it is being offered by the CM as an accommodation. I don't doubt it gets mentioned. If the guest says "No DAS? But I need shorter lines. How can I do that?" -- the answer will be Genie+. But that doesn't mean it is being offered as an accommodation.

✋ When I asked how that would work being the only two people in my party are myself and my son I just got a blank stare.
Rider Swap wouldn't work with a party of 2. Context is missing from this... I have no doubt it could be mentioned because it is listed on the website, but I honestly have a hard time believing that a CM actually offered it as an accommodation, especially for a party of 2.

Rider Swap wouldn't work with a party of 2. Context is missing from this... I have no doubt it could be mentioned because it is listed on the website, but I honestly have a hard time believing that a CM actually offered it as an accommodation, especially for a party of 2.
She did. Honestly the whole call left me more confused than angry. It all sounded so scripted.

Disney does not have "medical professionals" (with or without the quotations) making any assessment. Inspire Health was contracted to train the CMs who do the DAS video chats and also to train the frontline attraction CMs on new accommodations. Nobody is assessing anyone's disability -- level, severity or in any other sense. You inform them of your needs, explain how that impacts waiting in a queue environment, and they in turn tell you of the accommodation(s) available that best suits your needs.

Respectfully, multiple people have reported that when the CM was unable to make a determination based off of their script a person from Inspire Health (the medical professional) joined the call and in a few cases people were told their autism was not severe enough or their condition was not severe enough to need DAS.

I read one reports that the person asked what the Inspire Health employee's certification was and the person was an RN.

I agree with you in principle that is how it is supposed to work, but many people have complained this was not their experience and I have read more complaints about the medical professionals that joined the call being rude or making comments about a person's disability than I have about the actual Disney CMs.

If Disney announced that they would start accepting doctors' notes, in less than 24 hours there would be ads all over the internet for "ONLINE DOCTOR CONSULTATION- GET APPROVED FOR DISNEY DAS TODAY!" where doctors with questionable ethics would offer a 15-minute online consultation for $50 or so in which people could self-describe their symptoms and get a nicely official-looking note from an actual doctor to support their DAS request.
They could bundle it with a guaranteed dvc value reservation………..

As much as I don't blame the CMs for thr changes [especially since they have a script and some sort of check off system as based on several reports], I also do not doubt such a solution was given either by mistake or because of the script and such.

I do not think doubting the validity of such reports directly given from members is really good. This is the information given straight from people going through the process. We can't assume context is missing because it doesn't make sense - we've already seen reports where the options given simply do not make sense.

But in the case that the options don't make sense - if a person can, I would recommend taking a breather and coming back another day to the chat and explaining why those other options simply don't work like others have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter