DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I know for my DD, once she has problems, we are usually done for the day or at least a couple of hours. We usually go back to the hotel to regroup/recover. It is our life and we deal with it. Some may say the “value” is decreased and perhaps it is. Disney has always been and continues to be a personal choice.
If my condition acts up, I'm done for a week - 10 days. This is why I applied for DAS.

I mean, there’s also COVID that happened, and that disabled a lot of people that were previously fine, so it’s not just that there’s more people going but more people who are also disabled. I keep hearing that there’s increasingly more people requesting DAS, and that Disney thinks that some are scamming, but there’s also been a massively disabling event that is now causing more people to be disabled. It’s not necessarily that there’s more scammers, it’s that there’s legitimately more disabled people in the world then there was before and I don’t quite think Disney has realized how many of these new requesters are covered in that umbrella. Previously, Disney was known as a great place to go if you had disabilities, so suddenly it’s worrying to them that their reputation as a disability-friendly place to be is catching to them, in an age with increasingly more disabled people?
This. Society seems to have moved on and forgotten that we had a huge global health crisis, and one that continues to kill and disable people today, just at much smaller numbers. I am one of the million+ people who were healthy and am now disabled because of a Covid infection. You wouldn’t know it looking at me though, especially if I’m not in my wheelchair.

Someone who was successful posted about their experience on Reddit and I think this might be new?

View attachment 862747
While I haven’t seen this confirmed anywhere yet, it would certainly make sense for them to make it a company wide approval. Especially with the longer period of time a DAS is active now.

Comparably, Universal essentially just told us to give them another call if we ever make plans to go to the other coast and they would get us set up with the equivalent accommodations out there based off our current ones at Hollywood. She was even willing to set it up right then for us just in case but we held off because a trip to Orlando is a ways off for us still.

Please know in FL it can be a criminal offense to record another party without their consent.

I'm not telling you what to do, I only mention that to make sure you have a thorough understanding of the consequences you may be facing before you share it with anyone. I would also be ready to be trespassed from all Disney properties and have ticket media revoked.
I haven't called the DAS line but doesn't Disney tell you before most calls that the call is being recorded and could be used for training purposes? If that's the case, then both you and the person at the other end have already consented to be recorded, isn't it?

I just checked MDE for the first time in a few weeks, for the first time in a long time (on Friday at 6pm on a 3 day weekend), here are some sample MK wait times:
Barnstormer 25
Big Thunder 25
Dumbo 10
Haunted Mansion 30
Small World 15
Tea party 5
Carpets-Aladdin 5
Winnie the Pooh 30
Meet Mickey 15
Pirates 15
7DMT 65
Space Mtn 35
Tomorrowland Speedway 5
People Mover 10

Wait times are generally exaggerated. Also, we probably haven’t even seen 50% of the total impact of the changes yet… I’m optimistic it will make far more rides more accessible to everyone who can’t 20+ minutes.

I haven't called the DAS line but doesn't Disney tell you before most calls that the call is being recorded and could be used for training purposes? If that's the case, then both you and the person at the other end have already consented to be recorded, isn't it?
I mean, that’s what it sounds like to me, any sort of customer service line will record their calls and tell you that they’re doing that. Ideally that would mean the worker on the line also consents to recording, otherwise they wouldn’t be running the call. Also, if you live in a one party state, what’s the protocol there? If I record a call in my one party state, I’m not breaking state law, I consent to the call, and to the recording. Makes me wonder if there’s caselaw concerning recording customer service calls. Technically, you’re already being recorded, you consent, the worker consents, what’s to stop you from separately recording then? I ask because I know at some point, people are going to realize they’re going to want to record those calls, even if just for their own records, or to make sure that they have everything for later.

I haven't called the DAS line but doesn't Disney tell you before most calls that the call is being recorded and could be used for training purposes?
No. These calls are not recorded, it's like the first thing they say to you on the call. This isn't your average customer service call, sensitive health information is disclosed. As such laws and responsibilities come into play and the theory is Disney would rather not run afoul of them.

I just checked MDE for the first time in a few weeks, for the first time in a long time (on Friday at 6pm on a 3 day weekend), here are some sample MK wait times:
Barnstormer 25
Big Thunder 25
Dumbo 10
Haunted Mansion 30
Small World 15
Tea party 5
Carpets-Aladdin 5
Winnie the Pooh 30
Meet Mickey 15
Pirates 15
7DMT 65
Space Mtn 35
Tomorrowland Speedway 5
People Mover 10

Wait times are generally exaggerated. Also, we probably haven’t even seen 50% of the total impact of the changes yet… I’m optimistic it will make far more rides more accessible to everyone who can’t 20+ minutes.
This is amazing news, I actually think that the DAS changes could be one of the best improvements to the parks for years. Really exciting stuff.

This. Society seems to have moved on and forgotten that we had a huge global health crisis, and one that continues to kill and disable people today, just at much smaller numbers. I am one of the million+ people who were healthy and am now disabled because of a Covid infection. You wouldn’t know it looking at me though, especially if I’m not in my wheelchair.
unfortunately so am I. But I look completely healthy. Also have another couple of conditions thanks to the Covid infection. Exceptionally debilitating and I know of many others. Some of who have traveled to wdw and only managed because they used DAS. The thing is every single aspect of our life is impacted by the condition and can be a very real struggle each and every day. I am in the uk. I booked this trip believing DAS would be available like it was last May. Spent thousands of dollars and could potentially be unable to enjoy the parks if I don’t qualify. I have been so so looking forward to this trip after a really challenging couple of years as a result of everything that followed the covid infection. Let’s just hope I qualify.

Barnstormer 25 14
Big Thunder 25. 17
Dumbo 10 8
Haunted Mansion 30 28
Small World 15 9
Tea party 5 4
Carpets-Aladdin 5 5
Winnie the Pooh 30 28 - w/ note to wait to ride because wait times are dropping*
Meet Mickey 15 12
Pirates 15 10
7DMT 65 51*
Space Mtn 35 33*
Tomorrowland Speedway 5 6
People Mover 10 8

I’m on the Lines app now to compare, albeit about 20 minutes later - adding Lines’ times above in bold. Also Peter Pan: posted 50, Lines estimate 36.

To be fair, it’s a crowd level 5 day, so not particularly busy, regardless of the holiday… but in my experience, those are low wait times for even a 5 day in recent years. They're in line with what a 5 day once was, though. I could actually manage most of the park right now, which hasn’t happened in a long time!

For those interested, the same situation is happening at EP and HS, where the posted wait times for the big hitters are WILDLY inflated, but actual waits are hovering around the 30-35 minute mark.

Thanks for posting this: I’m going to keep an eye on wait times over the coming weeks and see if it holds.

I’m on the Lines app now to compare, albeit about 20 minutes later - adding Lines’ times above in bold. Also Peter Pan: posted 50, Lines estimate 36.

To be fair, it’s a crowd level 5 day, so not particularly busy, regardless of the holiday… but in my experience, those are low wait times for even a 5 day in recent years. They're in line with what a 5 day once was, though. I could actually manage most of the park right now, which hasn’t happened in a long time!

For those interested, the same situation is happening at EP and HS, where the posted wait times for the big hitters are WILDLY inflated, but actual waits are hovering around the 30-35 minute mark.

Thanks for posting this: I’m going to keep an eye on wait times over the coming weeks and see if it holds.
Thanks for adding the extra information! Is Lines a private data provider? Do they charge a fee?

On an evening like this, I could do most of the lines with my kids and then use AQR for the 2-3 things they really want to do with long waits.

Someone who was successful posted about their experience on Reddit and I think this might be new?

View attachment 862747
That would not surprise me.
Previously, WDW and Disneyland websites each had their own language about disability services.
One example was the time DAS was approved for - WDW said up to 60 days; Disneyland said 60 days or the length of the ticket, whichever was shorter. The websites for both now have 120 days or length of ticket, whichever is shorter (DL right now is 30 days, but will switch on June 18).
I'm not sure, but I think WDW DAS originally was attached to the My Disney Experience profile and I think Disneyland was attached to the ticket. The earlier versions of Magicband didn't work at both parks, but Magicband+ can be used at both. So they seem to be trying to unify systems.

Previously, WDW and DL had separate links that went to different sites to request starting the registration process for DAS.
I also noticed when I called the last time to register my daughter for DAS in mid-March that there was a choice button for which I was requesting DAS for
IMG_3938.png

It seems to me it would be very easy to identify fraud with this system. 100 doc notes from the same office over the course of a few days? A note from a doctors office 3 states away? Yep. Instead we are relying on peoples own words which is clearly causing issues
Some people can have specialized doctors who could be in a different state. Plus how is Disney going to know if from same office. Plus I have had friends that have had doctor write that note for their child with no reason for it as in normal kids saying this would make so they didn’t have to wait in line

Thanks for adding the extra information! Is Lines a private data provider? Do they charge a fee?

On an evening like this, I could do most of the lines with my kids and then use AQR for the 2-3 things they really want to do with long waits.
I’m not sure how much I’m allowed to post here about it, and I don’t want to sidetrack, but Lines is the app extension from Touringplans. It is a pay-to-play service based on Len Testa and team’s proprietary park data collection and analysis. I don’t work for them or get anything by endorsing, FTR - I just happen to have been one of their customers for a few decades, so I can vouch for Lines’ accuracy. I’m pretty sure there are other outlets doing similar stuff - I just don’t know their names.

And there is no reason for decreased numbers of DAS at this point since they were granted under previous rules. I have one good for 30 days given before the change that goes through the beginning of July. You can expect DAS people to be in the LL for some weeks yet. I don’t think these numbers reflect anything of significance related to DAS change.

Setting up and maintaining a blacklist of doctors whose notes will not be accepted? Checking to see how close the doctor's office is to the applicants residence (which is a dubious test anyway, as many people keep the same doctor when they move)? What a nightmarish can of worms all of that would be. Far easier to just stay with the current policy of not accepting doctors' notes.
What happens when you use a specialized doctor in another state and as you say easier with current policy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter