DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

First off, I was joking. I thought that was clear.

That said, if a guest gets to the point that they tell a cast member that they need to leave the line to use the bathroom, I would imagine that they are past the point of being certain that they can hold it. If they thought they could hold it, they probably wouldn't be having the conversation with a complete stranger.
Actually, when DD was 7, we had this exact scenario on Pirates. She didn't have the conversation with Mom, Dad, or Grandma before getting in the line or while in the line, and we had to buy DD a new dress and Grandma a new pair of pants.

(And yes, she was a child, and therefore not the same scenario as an adult.)

(And I thought Chuckdlc's comment was funny, because it reminded me of our situation then. Which I can look upon with nostalgia these many years later. No, it wasn't funny at the time, and my MIL was MAD.)

I’ve gone so far down the rabbit hole here that I can’t remember where I saw this. I think it was on this thread. Anyway, I’ve search elsewhere to verify and haven’t been able to. Here goes…

Someone posted that the new DAS, if you are approved, will actually include all the members on your trip (from you Friends and Family list), but only 4 can ride on any one DAS reservation. Something about Travel Party vs. Ride Party.

I’m only asking because we are a family of five with the same last name and address, but I am the aunt, not the parent or sibling. The above scenario would at least allow me to ride some of the time with my autistic nephew. Anyone see anything that would indicate this to be the case? TIA!
I would also plan to not be allowed in the travel party. If you are allowed you’ll be happy, if you aren’t allowed you can have researched a couple rides with traditionally short lines at certain times to do together.

Curious, and apologies if this has been covered. Why couldn’t Disney just require a doctors note or prefilled form from a physician requesting DAS based on medical need? This way a medical professional is on record of the need, and Disney doesn’t have to make these tough judgments themselves?
Not so simple

-dr’s don’t know what Disney’s line criteria are. Kid twisted his ankle? Note. You have IBS? Note. FL is stupid hot in Aug, it’s just generally unhealthy for anyone over 65 to be outside then. Have a note.

-Notes for sale

-Forged notes

-Disney having a record of your health. They have steadfastly not retained any records of anyone’s health conditions, refusing to even look at them if offered. This seems to be a cornerstone of their various disability programs as this never changes.

How would the CM at the ride know that a guest has a medical condition preventing them from having control??? If someone says to me they need to leave to go to the bathroom, my first thought isn't that they might have a medical condition, it's that they need to go to the bathroom. Assuming someone has a medical condition like this based on looks alone seems incredibly judgy.
I guess the situation of the person approaching the CM would have to specify they have a condition, and at that point you hope the CM would handle it correctly, obviously too many reports coming out with vague descriptions or not detailed enough, and then of course we can't properly analyze the situation

The original story didn't specify if it was a child, adult, if a condition was present, was it for #1 or #2, that's another problem all together, is the lack of quality of second hand information we're receiving from all over. The stories are almost making things more confusing because of this. Another snag is we are encouraging people not to go too in detail of fears of spoon feeding abusers answers.

The best way to find out what is really going on, will be unfortunately good-old first hand experience, and learn the hard way per individual.

Mine was a full package at The Contemporary with a theme park view. We were scheduled to arrive June 2nd. The CM on the phone had to speak with a supervisor a couple of times but I got a full refund.
Although I feel for you and it sucks, especially so close to the date, I'm actually glad the CM didn't change the DAS approval decision based on telling them you need to cancel the trip. Solely because that would then be the next part of the script for anyone who was denied for any reason - threaten to cancel the trip, and they'll grant DAS as appeasement. That's not a precedent they want to set.

If Disney isn't already doing so, they do also need to be refunding actual tickets upon request, for anyone denied DAS. Not just a future credit. As well as waiving any Disney-issued cancellation fees. While that might be abused as well, the cost of a ticket that no one has used yet is not actually a tangible loss for Disney.

Been debating if I sign up for DAS for my next trip (currently have nothing planned but thinking ahead for the future) and with all these new changes, I’m unsure if I’d even be accommodated despite having a developmental disability (Cerebral Palsy, plus Sensory Processing Disorder/issues on top of that). I’ve never used it before because Fastpass+ has previously accommodated me just fine (faster lines so not as much standing, could do as many rides as I wanted) but with its dissolution and me growing older, I’ve noticed some symptoms and other issues popping up that are concerning.

I don’t think a wheelchair would help, it’s an expense I don’t think is necessary and it’s something I don’t actually need, I can and have traversed the park just fine, it’s the long lines with no places to sit and the overall overstimulation that gets to me, bringing a wheelchair into the line just to barely use it seems unnecessary for everyone involved. Would it be worth it for me to apply to DAS for the first time, considering all these changes despite apparently being eligible for accommodation as part of that Developmental Disabilities umbrella? I’ve never had to do so before but I think it could benefit me, I’m just scared that Disney will be essentially be saying that I’m not “disabled enough” for the service despite having developmental disabilities in its covered umbrella. I don’t need a wheelchair, I just need a quiet place to wait with some seating, something that could easily be accommodated. I’d be happy to bring my disability documentation with us when we go, but I know they aren’t taking that as fact. I just don’t know if I want to try for it and cause all this undue stress if I end up getting on a call and this Inspire Health psychologist or whatever says that I’ll be fine as is. My disability isn’t mental really, so I’d hope to have someone who actually knows what they’re talking about when I jump on the call. I know myself, not this person that has never met me in their entire life, and I know what can help me during a trip. I just don’t want to have to miss out on rides or force my family to miss out on things just because I need a break from doing stuff.

Beyond that, has anyone had any luck with just going to the ride you want and asking for a return time with these new rules in place? I’d be happy to ask for a good return time if that was available for me and that would work as an accommodation.

Last edited:
Have now seen a couple people explicitly state they’ve been approved for physical disabilities (one was travelling with family) so that’s somewhat promising.

Meanwhile, have just seen someone saying they were told “just because you say you have autism doesn’t mean you qualify.” which really makes me wonder what kind of training cast members are/are not received (fully realise it’s not diagnosis based but not at all the way to word that when so many disabled people are used to medical gaslighting).

@cat4hurricane I would delete most all of that. We don’t discuss symptoms as a rule here.

A diagnosis is not enough for a DAS. You will need to get on the call and describe your issues with standing in a traditional line. The CM will decide if a DAS will be appropriate or not. There is no monetary cost to apply to the DAS program, just time out of your day and the mental toll of explaining your issues.

If the goal was just to filter fakers they would just copy the universal/6 Flags system that has a 3rd party validate the requested accomodation.

I know we are all of the mindset that the goal is to weed out fakers...personally, I think a larger part of the problem that no one really wants to be the bad guy and say it, is that there are a lot of people who will have those papers that are required by Universal/6 Flags, that don't actually need DAS. I mentioned my son specifically earlier in this thread as an Asthmatic who would fall under ADA, my wife has Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), but is fortunate that she personally does not require DAS to navigate the parks.

Not everyone with Asthma needs DAS, not everyone with ADHD needs DAS, not everyone with IBS/IBD/Chron's or Colitis needs DAS, not everyone with Autism needs DAS. For a lot of people DAS became a just in case pass, and for me, this is what Disney is trying to stamp out. A 1 size fits all accommodation is the root of why this is being overused. Simply requiring a doctors note, opens the system up to even more of this overuse, and you get away from true needs.

I also want to point out that the IBCCES system is under current Litigation and a class action lawsuit. Disney may go down this road, after that suit is settled/pending the outcome, but jumping into that system while it is in litigation doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense right now.

Last edited:
Have now seen a couple people explicitly state they’ve been approved for physical disabilities (one was travelling with family) so that’s somewhat promising.

Meanwhile, have just seen someone saying they were told “just because you say you have autism doesn’t mean you qualify.” which really makes me wonder what kind of training cast members are/are not received (fully realise it’s not diagnosis based but not at all the way to word that when so many disabled people are used to medical gaslighting).
Yeah, I would expect CMs to say “having autism doesn’t qualify you for the program, please explain why you cannot wait in line”. The degrading “just because you say” part (if actually said) needs to be reported back to Disney. We’ve seen a few reports of CMs being degrading in how they’re treating people but unless people tell Disney this will not be rectified as these calls are not recorded for review.

@cat4hurricane I would delete most all of that. We don’t discuss symptoms as a rule here.

A diagnosis is not enough for a DAS. You will need to get on the call and describe your issues with standing in a traditional line. The CM will decide if a DAS will be appropriate or not. There is no monetary cost to apply to the DAS program, just time out of your day and the mental toll of explaining your issues.
I mean, I’m perfectly fine with discussing my symptoms, and I’ve seen others name drop their disabilities. I’m well aware that a diagnosis is not enough for DAS, but I’d hope that having the medical documentation might at least let them know that I’m not lying or trying to scam them out of a pass. I’m legitimately disabled and have been for years, I’m not trying to suddenly one up them or something, it’s just that their previous accommodation that fit me just fine (Fastpasses and that system) is no longer offered the way it was before, so I might as well try DAS because it’s an option available to me to give me relatively the same experience I had before.

I mean, I’m perfectly fine with discussing my symptoms, and I’ve seen others name drop their disabilities. I’m well aware that a diagnosis is not enough for DAS, but I’d hope that having the medical documentation might at least let them know that I’m not lying or trying to scam them out of a pass. I’m legitimately disabled and have been for years, I’m not trying to suddenly one up them or something, it’s just that their previous accommodation that fit me just fine (Fastpasses and that system) is no longer offered the way it was before, so I might as well try DAS because it’s an option available to me to give me relatively the same experience I had before.
Unfortunately they won’t look at any documentation (I also wish they would - that’s how it’s done at Tokyo DR which is the resort I frequent).

I know that’s how they do it in Paris too, I wish the American parks would do it that way. I know they have to comply with HIPAA, but in that case, I’d be willing to hand over documentation if it just made the process easier, they wouldn’t need to ask me for it because I’d give it to them no questions asked if it proves that I am what I say I am to them.

I know that’s how they do it in Paris too, I wish the American parks would do it that way. I know they have to comply with HIPAA, but in that case, I’d be willing to hand over documentation if it just made the process easier, they wouldn’t need to ask me for it because I’d give it to them no questions asked if it proves that I am what I say I am to them.
They will not take or read Dr notes or other documentation.

I mean, I’m perfectly fine with discussing my symptoms…
Sorry I didn’t mean it as a personal comfort level thing.

See, while we do mention diagnosis we do not discuss specific symptoms as an actual rule here because frauds come in, read your symptoms and then your symptoms become the next TikTok hack to get a DAS thereby hurting everyone with your symptoms as Disney clamps down on them specifically. That’s how it went with bathroom issues.

After reading through this thread, I truly feel for those who have been denied after talking with cast members when the DAS system is truly their best option. I definitely think that DAS needed some changes otherwise they wouldn’t have changed it, but I am worried about the implications of these changes. I will be calling next week for a family member with a physical disability. She will already be in a wheelchair for a different issue , and I don’t think AQR would help her, so I’m curious to see what options they suggest in order to accommodate her.

See, while we do mention diagnosis we do not discuss specific symptoms as an actual rule here because frauds come in, read your symptoms and then your symptoms become the next TikTok hack to get a DAS thereby hurting everyone with your symptoms as Disney clamps down on them specifically. That’s how it went with bathroom issues.
If someone wants to cheat, reading the DIS is not going to help them. You can google "symptoms for x disability" and find that info out.

See, while we do mention diagnosis we do not discuss symptoms as an actual rule here because frauds come in, read your symptoms and then your symptoms become the next TikTok hack to get a DAS thereby hurting everyone with your symptoms as Disney clamps down on them specifically. That’s how it went with bathroom issues.
Oh no, absolutely I get that, I haven’t even applied or anything, and from what I’ve seen, physical disabilities being accommodated via DAS have been few and far between, so I’m unsure if that would even work. The most common thing I’ve heard for physical disabilities is the standard “get a wheelchair/an EVC or step out of the line” none of which would really help me and would actually just make it one more thing to have to manage and figure out on our trip.

Are people being denied DAS but told they could get RTQ? Is that noted, or do they still have to ask every ride and the CM decides if they will give it?

Not everyone with Asthma needs DAS, not everyone with ADHD needs DAS, not everyone with IBS/IBD/Chron's or Colitis needs DAS, not everyone with Autism needs DAS. For a lot of people DAS became a just in case pass, and for me, this is what Disney is trying to stamp out. A 1 size fits all accommodation is the root of why this is being overused. Simply requiring a doctors note, opens the system up to even more of this overuse, and you get away from true needs.

Adding to this: Not everyone with a disability needs a DAS forever, even if the disability is permanent. Especially when it comes to developmental issues, people can learn to work within their issues and discover coping mechanisms to allow them to not need accommodations.

Our son is autistic, he was diagnosed when he was 5 and we used the GAC and then later on the DAS. Now, he will always be autistic, that is never going to change but he is now 18 and in the past 13 years since his diagnosis we have worked with him to get him to a point where he can work within society and not need some of the accommodations he once needed.

The last time we requested accommodations for him at Disney was our Aug 2019 trip and we will likely never need to use it again. We always buy Genie+ and ILLs and those work well for us.

The reason people are being asked to remove any mention of their symptoms is to avoid others from using the post as a script to get approved for the DAS.

If someone wants to cheat, reading the DIS is not going to help them. You can google "symptoms for x disability" and find that info out.

True, but let's not make this forum somewhere to find that info out.

@cat4hurricane We don't want the symptoms posted here even if you are fine sharing and discussing -- it leads to abuse. I think you should do the video chat and be prepared to explain how waiting in a standard queue environment impacts you, but expect to be denied DAS. That doesn't mean you aren't legitimately disabled, just that other accommodations may work for your needs. The CM may have suggestions. As to documentation, no that won't be accepted.

Would an ECV be helpful? Many find they have mobility issues as they age and that an ECV gets them off their feet. Or maybe a "cane seat" would allow you to sit periodically but not be as cumbersome to bring around the parks as a wheelchair. It also is much less expensive than an ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter