DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I would be interested to know what % of those approved had already purchased G+ or LL. I could totally see them being more willing to approve someone who paid the money for faster access since they clearly aren’t trying to get a DAS to save the money. Not saying it is happening, but I could see it.

We always buy all the things that make it so we don’t have to wait as long everywhere we go as we see it as a return on investment to make sure we can all enjoy whatever it is even with our various needs. We use the DAS as an additional support when needed at Disney, but they still get our money.
I thought you couldn't purchase G+ for WDW beforehand? Maybe at DLR they could see since it would say on the ticket type?

The person who designed this process for Disney is not a genius to put it mildly, no diagnosis should ever have been mentioned by Disney. We knew that was a dumb thing to say when we saw it. Personally, even if applying due to issues stemming from autism, I would practice describing the needs without using the word autism. It does not seem to have anything to do with if people qualify or not as some have reported qualifying and others reported not qualifying.

As for what you may or may not be facing in the future- there have been reports of adults being approved so all hope is not lost. Yes, many are not but simply being an adult does not automatically disqualify you from DAS.
I think the reason they specifically listed 'autism' had to do with the lawsuit that was started by families of guests with autism in 2013 when DAS started.
They started planning their lawsuit before he program even started
I would be interested to know what % of those approved had already purchased G+ or LL. I could totally see them being more willing to approve someone who paid the money for faster access since they clearly aren’t trying to get a DAS to save the money. Not saying it is happening, but I could see it.

We always buy all the things that make it so we don’t have to wait as long everywhere we go as we see it as a return on investment to make sure we can all enjoy whatever it is even with our various needs. We use the DAS as an additional support when needed at Disney, but they still get our money.
I doubt that the CMs doing DAS Registration can see Genie+ or Lightning Lane purchases.
For one thing, registration can be done starting 30 days before the park visit.
That's way earlier than guests can purchase either Genie+ or Lightning Lane

I think the reason they specifically listed 'autism' had to do with the lawsuit that was started by families of guests with autism in 2013 when DAS started.
They started planning their lawsuit before he program even started

I doubt that the CMs doing DAS Registration can see Genie+ or Lightning Lane purchases.
For one thing, registration can be done starting 30 days before the park visit.
That's way earlier than guests can purchase either Genie+ or Lightning Lane
I was wondering if something had changed at WDW, as we’ve only been able to buy Genie+/ILL day of.

Just an update on UK applying for DAS
We used a VPN to apply (on the new scheme ) for our grandson who has epilepsy - Refused said we could use rider swap.
My wife who has had DAS passes for last 20 years - so anxious / worried will not even apply.
Doesn't want to visit Guest relations on day 1 and discuss her problems in front of everyone.

After 25 years of visiting -this will be our last , the money saved will easily pay for a holiday elsewhere who welcome the disabled.

Remember Disney - if you treat people badly - don't be surprised when they treat you the same.
I am so so sorry. I am guessing this new system was announced long after you spent a fortune on your holiday (I am from the uk as well but don’t travel till September) I had heard VPNS didn’t work to do the call from the uk anymore but I am guessing it let you connect given your post.

I would defo try speaking to someone when you are there if it’s really not working which it does t sound like it will.

I am going to be really stuck if I don’t have DAS. got a while to wait though.

So it sure sounds like DAS was denied and they were told to utilize Attraction Queue Re-Entry (AQR) instead. Which does not require pre-approval and is available to anyone. This tracks 100% with a bunch of first-hand reports I’ve seen today from people also being denied DAS and told to ask CMs at attractions to utilize whatever exit & return system that attraction has in place.

I also saw a first-hand account of someone using AQR at Peter Pan yesterday or today: they told a CM they needed to exit to use a restroom, their party stayed in the SB line, and upon their return the CM sent them through the LL to wait for their party at the merge. No diagnostic details were involved: they just said they needed to use the restroom.

My point in laying all of this out is that with more and more reports coming in, it really does look like the goal is to spin as many as possible off DAS by asking them to use AQR instead. Which might be great for lots of people, or at least good enough… but the splitting up of families to make that work is disappointing.
Disney, unfortunately, had given all of us DAS users the expectation that they would accommodate our need not to wait in line (for any rides at all, even if some would have been ok for our particular situation) and and that our extended families wouldn’t need to wait any lines either— but that was not the minimum necessary accommodation for most of us with medical issues and many rides are routinely below 20m, especially if there are half as many people in the LLs. If they can actually set-up a workable system to leave the queue and meet at the merge point, that is an appropriate accommodation for many (but not all) people currently being denied—even though the initial uncertainty adds a lot of stress, especially for those of us who don’t do great with uncertainty.

As someone else recently mentioned, AQR is actually a vastly superior accommodation to rider switch alone or with one family member if it actually works without adding more than a few minutes of wait at the merge point— to me it suggests Disney is serious about keeping LLs short for people who truly can’t handle lines, which would be a win for everyone.

Have there been any reports from those traveling solo, or those with only minors about the AQR accomodation (other than the lady with the 5 year old we talked about a couple of days ago)? Since there is no one to leave standing in the line, what are they offering to those folks?
I’m not the original lady with a 5 year old, but do have a young child and we generally travel just the two of us. The final advice was to speak to a CM at each ride when I need to leave and they will determine what makes sense for reentry. So that’s the plan for next month. 🤷‍♀️

I often wonder how much history WDW looks at when doing these calls? How many times you have been approved, previous “conditions “, how often you visit? And with who?

Just returned from our trip at CBR. I had requested a room in Aruba or Jamaica. Received an upgrade to a preferred handicapped accessible room in Barbados 31. The building closest to the main pool and food court. We did not book a HA room (or a preferred room). We do like them for many reasons, one of which is that we still have to shower DS28 and HA rooms are usually better set up for this and make it easier. I usually don’t book them because we really don’t “need” it.

Does WDW look the fact that I’ve gone every year or two for 50 years? That DS28 was approved for a DAS? That we book a room for 5 days but only spend 2 days at the parks (we NEED the breaks). Or maybe the preferred HA room was just a lucky coincidence? Whatever it was, it sure was nice.

I stopped by pirates and asked the front CM how the return to queue works there. She said leave the line, use the restroom, get back in the line and find your party.
I was shocked. 😮
I said so the person with the medical condition has to push past all these people twice? She said yes.
Yes! I witnessed something similar to that on Tuesday evening in the Pirate’s queue. She was told to leave the line or see if she can “hold it” as she was almost at the boarding area. 😐

Last edited:
Just returned from our trip at CBR. I had requested a room in Aruba or Jamaica. Received an upgrade to a preferred handicapped accessible room in Barbados 31. The building closest to the main pool and food court. We did not book a HA room (or a preferred room). We do like them for many reasons, one of which is that we still have to shower DS28 and HA rooms are usually better set up for this and make it easier. I usually don’t book them because we really don’t “need” it.

Does WDW look the fact that I’ve gone every year or two for 50 years? That DS28 was approved for a DAS? That we book a room for 5 days but only spend 2 days at the parks (we NEED the breaks). Or maybe the preferred HA room was just a lucky coincidence? Whatever it was, it sure was nice.
Coincidence. Anyone can end up being bumped into a HA room. Happened to us at BC, we were not happy- but then we had no use for the accommodations the room offers.

Just an update on UK applying for DAS
We used a VPN to apply (on the new scheme ) for our grandson who has epilepsy - Refused said we could use rider swap.
My wife who has had DAS passes for last 20 years - so anxious / worried will not even apply.
Doesn't want to visit Guest relations on day 1 and discuss her problems in front of everyone.

After 25 years of visiting -this will be our last , the money saved will easily pay for a holiday elsewhere who welcome the disabled.

Remember Disney - if you treat people badly - don't be surprised when they treat you the same.

Sorry to hear your grandson was denied. I would recommend emailing some of the Disney Executives I listed in my previous post (linked below). The more they hear from guests that are cancelling their trips, the more likely it is that they will do something about it.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-may-20-dl-june-18-2024.3943880/post-65511425

For just my husband and I, sure I'd buy genie+.

My lack of interest in paying for genie+ for DD is grounded in the fact that she should not have to pay money for her disability to be accommodated. She *should* continue to qualify for DAS. She has significant developmental disabilities. I won't go into details so as not to feed abusers. But hearing so many with significant developmental disabilities being denied - when this is the population DAS is still supposed to be for - is very concerning.

I understand the sentiment there, but that's not how it always turns out. For example, someone with a physical disability or injury may have to rent a scooter, and they need to pay for that.

I understand the sentiment there, but that's not how it always turns out. For example, someone with a physical disability or injury may have to rent a scooter, and they need to pay for that.
We have already gone over the difference between paying for personal item accommodations (like wheelchairs, sensory headphones, etc) and a system like genie+. @lanejudy did an excellent job sharing that many many many pages ago. Succinctly - they aren't the same thing.

Disney, unfortunately, had given all of us DAS users the expectation that they would accommodate our need not to wait in line (for any rides at all, even if some would have been ok for our particular situation) and and that our extended families wouldn’t need to wait any lines either— but that was not the minimum necessary accommodation for most of us with medical issues and many rides are routinely below 20m, especially if there are half as many people in the LLs. If they can actually set-up a workable system to leave the queue and meet at the merge point, that is an appropriate accommodation for many (but not all) people currently being denied—even though the initial uncertainty adds a lot of stress, especially for those of us who don’t do great with uncertainty.

As someone else recently mentioned, AQR is actually a vastly superior accommodation to rider switch alone or with one family member if it actually works without adding more than a few minutes of wait at the merge point— to me it suggests Disney is serious about keeping LLs short for people who truly can’t handle lines, which would be a win for everyone.
But isn't the AQR given by ride CMs? If so, "guests" w/out DAS could still be refused AQR and where would that leave them?

But isn't the AQR given by ride CMs? If so, "guests" w/out DAS could still be refused AQR and where would that leave them?
Yes the Attraction Queue Re-entry is handled by attraction CMs.
However, my understanding is that AQR is available to ALL guests regardless of disability and the WDW website indicates every attraction offers AQR. The only possible reason I can think of denying it is if the guest is already at boarding and thus unable to rejoin the party who would need to board the attraction then. I know there is a third-hand report floating around of someone denied leaving the queue, but since it is third-hand we really have no way of knowing the actual situation where that occurred so I question it's veracity at this time.

Yes the Attraction Queue Re-entry is handled by attraction CMs.
However, my understanding is that AQR is available to ALL guests regardless of disability and the WDW website indicates every attraction offers AQR. The only possible reason I can think of denying it is if the guest is already at boarding and thus unable to rejoin the party who would need to board the attraction then. I know there is a third-hand report floating around of someone denied leaving the queue, but since it is third-hand we really have no way of knowing the actual situation where that occurred so I question it's veracity at this time.
Thank you for clearing this up for me.

I’m confused. If you are denied DAS and told to use AQR, are you given anything that shows you require this accommodation (maybe on the app?). If you end up leaving the queue, is there something you could show when you come back? If you are gone so long that your family rode without you, how do you prove you were in the line initially?
You must be given something. Right? Otherwise what’s to stop anyone from claiming they are meeting their group or that their family rode without them after they left?
*edited for spelling

I’m confused. If you are denied DAS and told to use AQR, are you given anything that shows you require this accommodation (maybe on the app?). If you end up leaving the queue, is there something you could show when you come back? If you are gone so long that your family rode without you, how do you prove you were in the line initially?
You must be given something. Right? Otherwise what’s to stop anyone from claiming they are meeting their group or that their family rode without them after they left?
*edited for spelling
If I understand correctly, this is available to everyone. Now, let me play this out for you as devil's advocate. Family of five Mom, Dad, 13ish year old kid and a sevenish and five year old. Mom says to Dad, hey you guys wait here in the space mountain line while I take the two younger ones to the bathroom (aka Dumbo and barnstormer). Mom tells the cast member they need to use the bathroom, takes the two younger kids to the bathroom and then comes back 50 mins later to join the 13 year old and the Dad with the other two kids. Genius F'n plan disney. This will be more abused than DAS was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter