DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Not just rides. Like I can’t go through the standard queue most of the time unless it’s a walk on meaning I’m just breezing through the queue.

And to be honest sometimes I miss having the usual experience as dumb as it might sound. Sure the thought of standing in a hot crowded queue on its own is miserable. But I know I miss getting to see things because I go through the FP lane.

It sounds great that we don’t get to stand in the heat. But we’re also hyper aware I think that because of it we miss part of the Disney experience in a way with the theming
All very valid points there.

Yeah, I and others are just inflating the needs we accommodate and live with every day. 🙄

While I do acknowledge that there are people who do so, I also give benefit of the doubt to specific places where people have been shown to be authentic over years. I've been a member of these forums since 2006. I've lurked the disabilities forum since DD was diagnosed 10 years ago. While I'm very hesitant about FB and Twitter,the environment moderated here by @lanejudy and @SueM in MN has shown to be pretty authentic over the course of many years. It's earned being given the benefit of the doubt in many situations.

The statement I was responding to was specifically about DAS users willingness to pay for genie+. Not about what's best for Disney's business.

That’s the same for my family because my daughter doesn’t like fast rides.

Genie plus does work well for rides like pirates etc, because they are less in demand you can basically back to back all the lesser rides if you time them right.
But you can only ride them once with G+. (It's not that my family member doesn't like those rides, she cannot ride them.) While I stand on standby with my other DD who CAN do any attraction, my DH goes with our DD to rides she can do, usually multiple rides of IASW, character meets, and dark rides.

Exactly. Our son can't ride a lot of stuff due to his special needs. So what does it matter if he re rides the same stuff. Disney is his escape. All year he's excluded from daily activities and Disney is his one place he can "do it all".
We can definitely relate to what you're describing. That's us.

My DD (who is now an adult) would love to experience these attractions and be able to do standby. Or do a lot of other things adults her age do in general.

Yeah, I and others are just inflating the needs we accommodate and live with every day. 🙄
PPs comment didn't mention or imply at all that you were inflating your daughter's needs. A general statement is sometimes just a general statement. I get it, emotions run high and folks (like you) get defensive of their loved ones. But not everything someone says is about you and your daughter specifically. Just like it's not about me, or PP, or anyone here specifically. Like you've said multiple times, everyone is different.

And...cancelled. They waived my fee as well. And with that my son's days of visiting Disney have come to an end.
Glad you got everything back.

Sad that you were denied and concerned that your son with significant autism would be denied.

Depending on how much you want to advocate and try contacting the team, it would be worthwhile. This is a new process for sure, and the Frontline CMs aren't going to get everything right the first go around

For just my husband and I, sure I'd buy genie+.

My lack of interest in paying for genie+ for DD is grounded in the fact that she should not have to pay money for her disability to be accommodated. She *should* continue to qualify for DAS. She has significant developmental disabilities. I won't go into details so as not to feed abusers. But hearing so many with significant developmental disabilities being denied - when this is the population DAS is still supposed to be for - is very concerning.
Just for clarification, have you applied for DAS for your daughter yet? I couldn't remember who was very close to needing to apply, has applied already or doesn't have a trip for a while.

While I do acknowledge that there are people who do so, I also give benefit of the doubt to specific places where people have been shown to be authentic over years. I've been a member of these forums since 2006. I've lurked the disabilities forum since DD was diagnosed 10 years ago. While I'm very hesitant about FB and Twitter,the environment moderated here by @lanejudy and @SueM in MN has shown to be pretty authentic over the course of many years. It's earned being given the benefit of the doubt in many situations.

The statement I was responding to was specifically about DAS users willingness to pay for genie+. Not about what's best for Disney's business.
I was not making any statement about your needs.

In fact I was trying to point out its better to talk more generally about the system than discuss other's individual stories because it can be hurtful and its impossible to know the merits of whatever anyone presents about themselves online anyway, one way or another.

Last edited:
And...cancelled. They waived my fee as well. And with that my son's days of visiting Disney have come to an end.
So conflicted. I’m truly happy that they allowed you to get your money back. I’m gutted that it seems they were okay with that type of resolution. If Disney is not about the kids, then I do not know who it is for. Sad times

I saw this recommended elsewhere, but if you were denied DAS (especially if you feel like you were not treated right by Inspire Health Alliance personnel) and feel like you have a true need for it and have cancelled or are thinking about cancelling - along with emailing disability.services@disneyparks.com and guest.services@disneyparks.com to let them know, you may want to also contact Disney executives. They don't typically read their own emails, but they have staff that will read the emails.

If enough people start to contact them and tell them that they either have cancelled or will be cancelling their trips due to this change, perhaps it will get their attention. Based on quarterly earnings reports, Disney is already expecting lower crowds this summer at WDW. If they believe this will further hurt their next quarterly earnings, you know they will act, but it also is helpful for them to know who their customers are and what their experience has been like.

josh.damaro@disney.com is the Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products
jeff.vahle@disney.com is the President of Walt Disney World
ken.potrock@disney.com is the President of Disneyland in California

Also tinisha.agramonte@disney.com is the Chief Diversity Officer of Disney

Last edited:
So disheartening. I really believed Disney was just doing this because park ops had become such a mess. But to straight up say “you can buy your accommodation from us” confirms this is not just about park ops no matter what some blogger has been pounding the table on the last few months 🙄

Practically they can cut off G+ sales, they couldn’t cut off DAS approvals so LLs should shorten- if Disney cares about their current length.

The irony here is anyone happy this is stopping “DAS users taking up a majority of all the LLs” is going to find themselves competing with more people for G+ spots and maybe paying higher prices as demand should increase noticeably. Many of us still want to go and will buy G+ because we aren’t going to risk our health, so higher demand. Higher demand, higher prices.

ETA- deleted 3rd quote due to off-topic rabbit trail, reminding self to stay on-topic...
IMO what this will do is open more availability for Genie+ users. With less DAS guests using the LL queues, Disney can calculate better how much availability there is per hour for each ride. They account for DAS each hour cause it fluctuates a lot. They can only sell so many Genie+ per day as they only have limited about of ride capacity per day.

What's most likely to happen is it sells out more often and it will priced much higher. IMO what's going to end up happening is it will be similar to Universal where standby is the majority have to use.

Not just rides. Like I can’t go through the standard queue most of the time unless it’s a walk on meaning I’m just breezing through the queue.

And to be honest sometimes I miss having the usual experience as dumb as it might sound. Sure the thought of standing in a hot crowded queue on its own is miserable. But I know I miss getting to see things because I go through the FP lane.

It sounds great that we don’t get to stand in the heat. But we’re also hyper aware I think that because of it we miss part of the Disney experience in a way with the theming
This is a very interesting point, thank you for bringing it up. I don't think its a dumb thing to say.

my wife and I have always felt a little bummed out that we have never seen majority of rides' themed queues because I have used FP, G+, ILL, and DAS almost exclusively the past 6 years

It does take away some of the magic from a ride, when you see the POV videos of the queues and they do look so cool in some cases; but in most cases I couldn't even attempt it, I don't make it past 30 minutes and even LL lanes can be long if a ride has a lot of pre-show rooms etc.

We love coming to Disney/Universal for the heavily themed rides/queues, go to Canada's Wonderland and it's almost non-existent, just a random queue into a random ride over and over, with a different name and paint job. It is a small detriment to use DAS because it does remove the ambiance from the ride when you're skipping it all practically.

I was not making any statement about your needs.

In fact I was trying to point out its better to talk more generally about the system than discuss other's individual stories because it can be hurtful and its impossible to know the merits of whatever anyone presents about themselves online anyway, one way or another.
Guilty here. Yesterday got me so riled up in having the proverbial baby thrown out with the bathwater in doing the revamp.

It got me so angry that @lanejudy had to shoot a warning to me to have me reset, to which I thank you for that.

It saw this recommended elsewhere, but if you were denied DAS (especially if you feel like you were not treated right by Inspire Health Alliance personnel) and feel like you have a true need for it and have cancelled or are thinking about cancelling - along with emailing disability.services@disneyparks.com and guest.services@disneyparks.com to let them know, you may want to also contact Disney executives. They don't typically read their own emails, but they have staff that will read the emails.

josh.damaro@disney.com is the Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products

This. They read them. When DLR reopened post covid we had some issues with both DLR and DVC that the first team couldn't/wouldn't address. We escalated it the Chief of the divisions and their representative responded and we found a way forward.

Disney needs this feedback and specifics so that they can adjust their processes and get our community to continue to access Disney's product and they keeping us seen. If we don't, who will?

It saw this recommended elsewhere, but if you were denied DAS (especially if you feel like you were not treated right by Inspire Health Alliance personnel) and feel like you have a true need for it and have cancelled or are thinking about cancelling - along with emailing disability.services@disneyparks.com and guest.services@disneyparks.com to let them know, you may want to also contact Disney executives. They don't typically read their own emails, but they have staff that will read the emails.

If enough people start to contact them and tell them that they either have cancelled or will be cancelling their trips due to this change, perhaps it will get their attention. Based on quarterly earnings reports, Disney is already expecting lower crowds this summer at WDW. If they believe this will further hurt their next quarterly earnings, you know they will act, but it also is helpful for them to know who their customers are and what their experience has been like.

Thanks for the info. I plan on writing up a lengthy letter and sending it to them. My son has been to Disney well over 10 times and never had issues getting a disability pass. It's made our trips easier, and probably made the trips of other guests more pleasant since there is less chance of a meltdown. This has all been disappointing and heart-breaking at the same time, since he has loved all things Disney since he was small. Apparently they don't want our business any longer, which sucks for them because we are a deluxe resort family. 😥

PPs comment didn't mention or imply at all that you were inflating your daughter's needs. A general statement is sometimes just a general statement. I get it, emotions run high and folks (like you) get defensive of their loved ones. But not everything someone says is about you and your daughter specifically. Just like it's not about me, or PP, or anyone here specifically. Like you've said multiple times, everyone is different.
I didn't think his statement was about me personally - it was a generic statement, and one I've heard dozens of times and it's tired and old. I'm not personally offended, though I can see how how I wrote it would come across that way. I'm just exhausted and done with generic comments like that. That's not the same as offended.

This is a very interesting point, thank you for bringing it up. I don't think its a dumb thing to say.

my wife and I have always felt a little bummed out that we have never seen majority of rides' themed queues because I have used FP, G+, ILL, and DAS almost exclusively the past 6 years

It does take away some of the magic from a ride, when you see the POV videos of the queues and they do look so cool in some cases; but in most cases I couldn't even attempt it, I don't make it past 30 minutes and even LL lanes can be long if a ride has a lot of pre-show rooms etc.

We love coming to Disney/Universal for the heavily themed rides/queues, go to Canada's Wonderland and it's almost non-existent, just a random queue into a random ride over and over, with a different name and paint job. It is a small detriment to use DAS because it does remove the ambiance from the ride when you're skipping it all practically.
Yeah I’ve been to Cedar Point and Kings Island (which I think is the same company as CW?). And there I don’t miss missing the queue I’ll admit. It’s very much a Disney/Universal thing. And I’m used to back dooring it into rides at those kind of parks. And don’t mind it as much. Since those parks aren’t there for the highly decorated queues.

Like there’s a big difference between back dooring it into a ride whose line is like every other switch back on a paved lot. And thus you’re not missing anything of the experience. Vs having to back door into something like TOT because your disabilities means you cannot go through the standard queue anymore and missing the pre show and story entirely.

Like it won’t make me love the ride less. But it does make me long for days where I was able bodied and go from one end of the park without a care

Completely get this - I miss seeing little hidden things in the queues that I see others posting about and (on rides such as the Incredicoaster) missing out on the ride photo.

Honestly pretty nervous about applying this year. We've gotten it in the past and it has enabled me to get on 2-4 rides in a day before I become mentally too burned out to function. We usually have about 4-5 hours of time in the park before I need to exit and lie down for a few hours. I'd say about 1/3 of the time we have to bail after the pre-show--my husband always bails with me, as he could never imagine leaving me to struggle on my own.

I honestly couldn't care less about pre-selections--I'd have no issue with those only being for folks with kids. I honestly wouldn't even mind if they put a ride cap on it for the majority of guests, with my reasoning being that the folks who need it most (developmental disabilities) likely will get burned out/overstimulated more quickly anyway. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone who truly needs the pass could survive an 8+ hr day in the park (but hey, that may just be my ignorance on the matter).

My frustration is that my ability to be approved for DAS will most certainly impact our ticket-buying decision and park reservations. Without it, there's not a lot of point for us in going to MK or HS. EPCOT and AK have enough non-ride activities that they would still be worth visiting for us.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter