Dark Side at Disney: Theme park guest evacuated from Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance three times in one day

Kennywood

Kennywood
Dark Side at Disney: Theme park guest evacuated from Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance three times in one day

Rise of the Resistance in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is the most technologically advanced ride Disney has ever opened. The 18-minute journey involves a secret rebel base, interrogation from the First Order, uncomfortably close brushes with Kylo Ren and a daring rescue mission, and has sophisticated animatronics and a trackless ride system unlike anything else currently in Disneyland.

With all of those moving parts, though, the ride breaks down frequently. Rise of the Resistance can sometimes break down multiple times a day, often for long stretches. The ride already has modifications for minor breaks, like a scene with a Kylo Ren animatronic that has a "b mode" where a broken piece of wall blocks off the malfunctioning Ren and he's shown on a screen instead. A room with cannons that dart out between ride cars has stopped the cannons from moving because they caused so many ride breakdowns.

But still, even with those fixes, larger problems happen. In fact, earlier this week, one Disneyland guest reported getting evacuated from Rise three times in the same day. "I've been on RoR 3 times today and have been evacuated every time," the person posted on Reddit. "Sends [sic] thoughts and prayers!"

"I wonder if it will ever get to a point where this is not the norm," a Disneyland Redditor responded. "It's an awesome ride so I hope so."

"At least you made it on," another replied. "We tried several times today and each time it went down before we could even get to the line. It was not having a good day today."

These frequent breakdowns cause problems with Rise for several reasons. First, the ride has shorter hours than most other attractions at Disneyland, closing at 9 p.m. even on nights the park stays open until midnight. Second, the ride offers Individual Lightning Lane tickets that cost up to $20 per person, which sell out almost immediately when they become available for the day. When the ride breaks down, everyone who has been waiting in line loses the time they've already spent. Thrill Data, which tracks theme park stats, puts the historical wait time average for Rise at 105 minutes.

But when the ride resumes operation after a breakdown, all of the ILL ticket-holders flood the Lightning Lane, and they get priority boarding — so the standby queue skyrockets, sometimes to two or three hours. Thrill Data's maximum recorded wait time for Rise: 366 minutes.

"This is my nightmare," one Disneyland Redditor said, "to spend $20 for LL and to not actually get the full ride experience."

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/dark-side-at-disney-theme-park-guest-evacuated-from-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-three-times-in-one-day/ar-AAYTjLI?ocid=BingHp04&cvid=75bdab5c12ca47afb5e4aca406018585

Been there, done that. We all agreed our last trip we’d be skipping ROTR going forward. Just not worth all the disruption to your day plans and the unpleasantness of getting stuck/evacuated, when there are so many other good rides in the park.

I was only evacuated from it once. It was a cool thing to be walking around in there

I'm not a major fan of these "news sources" where their source is actually Reddit. But it does break down a lot.

We went once on our last trip. I paid the $80 for us all to go that one time. We got the Kylo hologram, so I guess that wasnt supposed to happen? No cannons, we just walked through the room of storm troopers who just stood there (we assumed they were statues). It really wasnt worth the extra $80, so we never did it again. Don't plan to either. Just not worth the money or time in line.

I hope it remains popular and they keep it running. I don't care anything about the ride so I'm happy it's there to keep people off of the rides I do like :duck:

Boggles my mind why they don’y just make SDD the ILL for HS. Hardly any downtime, and the standby line is just as bad.

Yes it happens all the time at WDW.

I stopped counting how many times Rise was down during our WDW trip last month, usually several times a day honestly.
I think we were there the same week (mid may?) and I had a similar experience. My friend and I made it a game to point out how many times Rise went down during our trip.

My friend and I tried to get on at park close and though we got to the preshow in 20 minutes, we were eventually evacuated after 40-ish minutes. As we were exiting the ride we overheard CMs joking that they were happy the ride broke down so they could go home.

As we were exiting the ride we overheard CMs joking that they were happy the ride broke down so they could go home.
As sad as that is to hear I get it. The strategy of riding it at park close for Rise is so iffy but I wish it was more like FOP where that does go down from time to time but you can at least count on getting in line close to park close and it usually working out. You almost feel like you have to stalk the ride's closing and reopening to squeeze in before the wait gets too high again lol. I just wish it was a more reliable ride but I'm glad we rode it once with a short enough wait (ironically after it had just gotten back up and running after being down lol).

Boggles my mind why they don’y just make SDD the ILL for HS. Hardly any downtime, and the standby line is just as bad.
I think because monetarily speaking Rise will command more $ than SDD because of who it appeals to. From a reliability standpoint you're totally right that SDD would be a better option.

The first time I went on this ride, the interrogation room wasn't working properly. It's sad when the canons don't move but I actually like the B-mode for Kylo ren. I've also had the walkers not work as well as BB8 and Rey not appear in the briefing room.

Imagineering made a ride that maintenance can't maintain. It's just like how marketing is able to get people interested in buying something but IT is not able to get the website to support that volume of customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!