Dang - I think we are canceling Feb trip due to school events

yeahdisney

DIS Veteran
So we checked the school calendar and no school feb 14 or 18th so we offered DS that time for his senior trip. (Unsure if he will have the other knee surgery this coming year or summer). He would miss 1/2 day of school.
This week his scholastics bowl coach, who bids for his time against show choir, tells him you will miss senior night ( the half day we were leaving ) and our largest tournament SATURDAY and that is the day she got him from the show choir event.
Well the scholastic coach is his AP calc teacher and she told the class and me at teacher conference: they signed up for the class they don't want students to miss class; well that's why we picked a break. There are no other 4 day weekends, other than Easter- yikes.

Hmm all other Saturday are show choir events or schol bowl; spring break weekend major event and parents are told they will help. Flights in the middle of that mess $1700 - not going to happen. DVC not available either.
jimmy cricket this might turn into parent trip only next December.
Whine over.

During high school years, we did not manage to get all four of us out of town at the same time between August 7 and June 15. That seems like a bummer, but my advice is to relish it. The time goes all too fast before you find yourself an empty nester.

I would go anyway. Schools and classes need to realize that EVERYONE'S time is limited, and it is up to you, the parents, to set priorities for your family vacation time.

Once our boys started High School we stopped trying to do vacations that were not on breaks. Both my wife and I had stressed the important of attendance so pulling them out would be hypocritical. I'd say let your son give you input on what is important.

[QUOTE="Chuck S, post: 59974724, member: 6834"]I would go anyway. Schools and classes need to realize that EVERYONE'S time is limited, and it is up to you, the parents, to set priorities for your family vacation time.[/QUOTE]
If I'm being honest, I probably would too. It sounds like the school events might be very important to the DS, if he'd rather do that than go to WDW, so be it. OTOH a parents-only trip in December could be awesome:)

. . . .

Hmm all other Saturday are show choir events or schol bowl; spring break weekend major event and parents are told they will help. Flights in the middle of that mess $1700 - not going to happen. DVC not available either.
jimmy cricket this might turn into parent trip only next December.
Whine over.

LOL

update: we let DS pick ~ we are leaving Saturday right after that day's event (last flight out). He will make the senior night event too.
We got SSR first night, next night nothing is available DVC, I don't even think a 3 bedroom was free, next 2 nights SSR. We have universal for the first night too, we will pass that night to the next if wait list does not come thru.

Thanks for letting me whine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter