D23 Expo September 9-11, 2022 Superthread **Updates in Posts 2 & 3**

Even if they don't make any sort of official announcement this week, start looking at hotels if you plan on going. Most of the Anaheim hotels allow you to book 1 year out. And it will be interesting if the Hilton and Marriott have blackout dates for Sept 9-11, 2022, which would indicate that Disney has booked a block of rooms for the event as they have in years past.

One worrying find: D23.com no longer mentions the specific dates anymore, only that it will be in 2022. The original announcement is still on D23's Instagram though.

One worrying find: D23.com no longer mentions the specific dates anymore, only that it will be in 2022. The original announcement is still on D23's Instagram though.
Hmmmm….I am beginning to wonder, too if the Expo will take place in September 2022. With the potential of many Imagineers moving from CA to FL at the end of 2022, I wonder if this might have an additional impact on holding the event in 2022.

We can only hope there will be an announcement soon regarding if this is or is not still being considered for September 2022 .

Even if they don't make any sort of official announcement this week, start looking at hotels if you plan on going. Most of the Anaheim hotels allow you to book 1 year out. And it will be interesting if the Hilton and Marriott have blackout dates for Sept 9-11, 2022, which would indicate that Disney has booked a block of rooms for the event as they have in years past.

Actually in 2019, I booked at 1 year out at a hotel on Harbor, but then on then a few months out from the convention, I moved to the Hilton for a great price. I am actually a bit more interested in the Westin or Residence Inn this time. if my sister goes with me. The Hilton was fine later in the day for going to and from the convention, but in the early morning, I think these might be more convenient with her scooter. Although, I might also see if anyone has points for a 1 bedroom at Grand Californian. My sister has a host of medical issues that would make a place with a full kitchen and washer and dryer very helpful if we want to stay longer than the few days for the convention.

I do agree that the lack of information on D23 is concerning and why I was wondering if we would hear anything, even a note that more details would be coming soon. I always felt like they would want the Expo to run in 2023 for the 100 years of Walt Disney Studios and did not think they would want to run back to back Expos unless they wanted to do a separate special event in 2023.

Looks like they already have D23 Expo Hotel Rates. Hilton Anaheim is listed, but not Marriott.

https://book.passkey.com/event/50224822/owner/1418/home

I wasn't planning to book just yet, probably a good thing since so far it doesn't look like I can book an accessible room in case my sister comes with me. I might book one for if I go solo though and cancel if she goes.
Thanks for the link. I want to book a room too but Im waiting for more hotels to open up so I can see my options better.

So welcome back everyone to pre-expo excitement levels 🙌 How prepared are you so far? I havent booked a room yet since Im waiting it out for particular hotels to open up and my airlines havent started booking for September yet. So Ive done nothing 😅I havent renewed my D23 Gold membership yet but I have until January to get one. Do they do black friday deals? 🤔 I know I get a discount for my birthday but that passed already.
How do you think Covid will affect D23?
Covid wise Im expecting less tickets will be available to reduce capacity. Im expecting a mask mandate but I dont think they will require proof of vaccination. Not sure how indoor eating will be handled. I haven't been to any conventions this year so if anyone can share their other con experiences itd be nice to hear.

So welcome back everyone to pre-expo excitement levels 🙌 How prepared are you so far? I havent booked a room yet since Im waiting it out for particular hotels to open up and my airlines havent started booking for September yet. So Ive done nothing 😅I havent renewed my D23 Gold membership yet but I have until January to get one. Do they do black friday deals? 🤔 I know I get a discount for my birthday but that passed already.
How do you think Covid will affect D23?
Covid wise Im expecting less tickets will be available to reduce capacity. Im expecting a mask mandate but I dont think they will require proof of vaccination. Not sure how indoor eating will be handled. I haven't been to any conventions this year so if anyone can share their other con experiences itd be nice to hear.
The deals are typically for brand new members.

Wow, well I shouldn't have been so surprised to hear some news given that we are one year out, but I was. I really thought we would see another delay or news TBD.

Anyway, I went ahead and booked the Sheraton Park Hotel. I stayed there for D23 2017 and it was fantastic -- you can exit through the back of the hotel and you're steps away from the convention center.

I am considering going to my very first D23 expo… I would be a solo. I am a lover of all things Disney. I’m jot sure where to even start in looking into this. Any advice?

I am considering going to my very first D23 expo… I would be a solo. I am a lover of all things Disney. I’m jot sure where to even start in looking into this. Any advice?
One good source will most likely be Christian Milan's YouTube channel. For the last 2 D23 Expo's I would go watch his videos about planning for the Expo. He covers a broad range of topics from what to expect as well as helping you try and decide what is most important for you to see/do. For example, if you want to be first to get any of the limited edition merchandise, you will need to focus on that instead of trying to get into the main Panels. Of course the D23 Expo website will also have some good information.

Also booked a hotel for now... whether we go will depend on a lot of things though. Mostly if they offer a sorcerer style pass, and then whether or not we're fast enough to get it.

One good source will most likely be Christian Milan's YouTube channel. For the last 2 D23 Expo's I would go watch his videos about planning for the Expo. He covers a broad range of topics from what to expect as well as helping you try and decide what is most important for you to see/do.
Wow, thanks very much for posting this. I was considering going but after seeing this YouTuber's videos about what the expo is "really like," no more! Sitting on pavement, crazy crowds, jostling for a spot, waiting for everything and yet not getting to do all that much... would be too much for me.

For anyone else like me looking for information about what this is all about before deciding on going, my impression, in sum, is that folks go in order to experience some of the following:
  • Be the first to hear the Disney announcements
  • See Disney characters/actors
  • Purchase exclusive merchandise
  • Interact with other Disney super fans/cosplay
  • A chance of being "part of it" - I think the YouTuber said something like this in passing when talking about the line that was forming 24 hrs in advance of the Saturday presentations, and this struck me/helped me understand why folks would go to such lengths to hear Disney news that they can get later on at home.
(Someone correct me if I got any of this wrong!)

The one other thing that seems to be sprinkled in, and which is the one thing that I wish I could be there for, is the musical performances. But these seem to be endcaps to presentations, not main events on their own.

Wow, thanks very much for posting this. I was considering going but after seeing this YouTuber's videos about what the expo is "really like," no more! Sitting on pavement, crazy crowds, jostling for a spot, waiting for everything and yet not getting to do all that much... would be too much for me.

For anyone else like me looking for information about what this is all about before deciding on going, my impression, in sum, is that folks go in order to experience some of the following:
  • Be the first to hear the Disney announcements
  • See Disney characters/actors
  • Purchase exclusive merchandise
  • Interact with other Disney super fans/cosplay
  • A chance of being "part of it" - I think the YouTuber said something like this in passing when talking about the line that was forming 24 hrs in advance of the Saturday presentations, and this struck me/helped me understand why folks would go to such lengths to hear Disney news that they can get later on at home.
(Someone correct me if I got any of this wrong!)

The one other thing that seems to be sprinkled in, and which is the one thing that I wish I could be there for, is the musical performances. But these seem to be endcaps to presentations, not main events on their own.
We have been to all, but the first Expo. While we have joined the masses in the cold, hard basement hall and also waited outside in the long lines with hot sun; you do not have to attend in this way. My hubby and I are on the other side of 60, so we started re-assessing our way of visiting the Expo. At the most recent Expo in 2019 we joined the basement crowd the first day, but then decided to sleep in the next day ( in our nice comfy hotel bed) enjoy a nice breakfast at the hotel ( rather than grab and go items from the coffee shop) and wait for the masses to go in first - then we just walked in with no line. Yes, that meant we didn’t get into the large first presentation (which on the first day we ended up in the back corner of the room anyway after our basement early morning venture) and didn’t get some of the limited edition merch ( which we really didn’t need….) . You can still enjoy the Expo, smaller panels and shop the floor. It is still crowded as expos and cons are - so it’s not for everyone. Who knows what differences the 2022 Expo might incorporate.

There are many people who attend the D23 Expo who do not go to see the main panels or even have to be first in line for the merchandise. There are many more smaller panels that are just as great. In fact, if you do the main panels or wait for merchandise, you actually don't have time to go to some of these other panels. The shopping issue is typically tied to three main stores. But there are other vendors plus various exhibits. Don't let any videos persuade you not to attend the D23 Expo. They are made to set expectations. Yes, it has been crowded and you may have to wait on some things. But there is a lot to see an enjoy.

My first D23 Expo I only did one main panel and then lots of smaller ones. I also did not try to get any of the limited merchandise. I think I waited in line for one of the main stores for about 45 minutes. I got some cool things though. I had a great time. You just have to determine what will be important to you and determine if the time/cost to attend is worth it.

You can still enjoy the Expo, smaller panels and shop the floor. It is still crowded as expos and cons are - so it’s not for everyone. Who knows what differences the 2022 Expo might incorporate.
My first D23 Expo I only did one main panel and then lots of smaller ones. I also did not try to get any of the limited merchandise. I think I waited in line for one of the main stores for about 45 minutes. I got some cool things though. I had a great time. You just have to determine what will be important to you and determine if the time/cost to attend is worth it.
Hmm, okay, thanks for this! Are the smaller panels more announcements or is there anything else, like conversations with Disney legends or presentations on Disney history, etc?
But it's good to know that one can go and have a good time while avoiding the rush to the big presentations.

Are the smaller panels more announcements or is there anything else, like conversations with Disney legends or presentations on Disney history, etc?
There have been many different topics covered. The first year I attended one on the legacy of The Golden Girls and another regarding the upcoming book/cookbook "Eat Like Walt". There have been panels on Disney Broadway, and other musical talent (e.g. Alan Menken). Last Expo there was a presentation from the D23 Archives. Some panels will be related to the Theme of the event. The Exhibits have ranged from a historical archive of the Pirates of the Caribbean all the way to Costumes from live action Disney movies.

In looking at the App from the last Expo, I had forgot about the Walt Disney Archives Stage. There were 5 different programs listed.

The main Hall D23 panels is where you will hear the announcements. The Disney+ panel had loads of announcements. Granted it was about 3 months before the release of Disney+.

Hmm, okay, thanks for this! Are the smaller panels more announcements or is there anything else, like conversations with Disney legends or presentations on Disney history, etc?
But it's good to know that one can go and have a good time while avoiding the rush to the big presentations.

If you go to the second post on this 2019 thread you will see what was scheduled: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d23-expo-2019-first-page-with-major-info.3754537/, or here on the D23 site: https://d23.com/d23-expo-2019-schedule-friday/

The 2019 was my first expo and it did start out rough since I had my special needs sister and she had some adjustment issues. She had never been to any con before. We had a good time walking the floors and watching the random talks that did not require waiting in any lines. We did some photo spots and got some autographs. We had the perfect spot for the parades. The highlight for my sister might have been the 40th celebration of the Mickey Disco album. One of the dancers basically kept coming out and dancing with her in her scooter. We only did the big parks panel because she was very interested in that panel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter