D23 Expo September 9-11, 2022 Superthread **Updates in Posts 2 & 3**

Wow, thanks very much for posting this. I was considering going but after seeing this YouTuber's videos about what the expo is "really like," no more! Sitting on pavement, crazy crowds, jostling for a spot, waiting for everything and yet not getting to do all that much... would be too much for me.

For anyone else like me looking for information about what this is all about before deciding on going, my impression, in sum, is that folks go in order to experience some of the following:
  • Be the first to hear the Disney announcements
  • See Disney characters/actors
  • Purchase exclusive merchandise
  • Interact with other Disney super fans/cosplay
  • A chance of being "part of it" - I think the YouTuber said something like this in passing when talking about the line that was forming 24 hrs in advance of the Saturday presentations, and this struck me/helped me understand why folks would go to such lengths to hear Disney news that they can get later on at home.
(Someone correct me if I got any of this wrong!)

The one other thing that seems to be sprinkled in, and which is the one thing that I wish I could be there for, is the musical performances. But these seem to be endcaps to presentations, not main events on their own.

I really enjoyed hanging out with my friends. A lot of the panels were great though, especially the smaller ones about history or specific shows, like the Simpsons. I didn't enjoy as much of the shopping from the booths. I did really like the stuff available at the WDI shop. I didn't have to wait long for that. I am not really into being first, FOMO, or even saying that I was there. I did have a good time. 2019 was my first and only Expo though, and it was organized a bit different than previous years. I still need to see if my friends want to go. I would be game. They were put off by the system set up to get into stuff or buy stuff in 2019 and may still be bitter about it. I would prefer to go with friends though. It helps to pass the time waiting. Destination D on the other hand was great by myself, and I found loads of people to talk with.

Hmm, okay, thanks for this! Are the smaller panels more announcements or is there anything else, like conversations with Disney legends or presentations on Disney history, etc?
But it's good to know that one can go and have a good time while avoiding the rush to the big presentations.

The smaller panels tended to be about more specific things, ie history, employees/legends (not the legends presentation though), shows/movies, theme park attractions. I did really enjoy the Disney+ panel though. It was really big. We didn't do the big movie release panel. I was glad, because I don't like spoilers. The voices panel was very cool. The last presentation on the last day had singers from the movies and musicals perform the songs live. I am not usually really big into that, but it was amazing.

I really enjoyed hanging out with my friends. A lot of the panels were great though, especially the smaller ones about history or specific shows, like the Simpsons. I didn't enjoy as much of the shopping from the booths. I did really like the stuff available at the WDI shop. I didn't have to wait long for that. I am not really into being first, FOMO, or even saying that I was there. I did have a good time. 2019 was my first and only Expo though, and it was organized a bit different than previous years. I still need to see if my friends want to go. I would be game. They were put off by the system set up to get into stuff or buy stuff in 2019 and may still be bitter about it. I would prefer to go with friends though. It helps to pass the time waiting. Destination D on the other hand was great by myself, and I found loads of people to talk with.

The smaller panels tended to be about more specific things, ie history, employees/legends (not the legends presentation though), shows/movies, theme park attractions. I did really enjoy the Disney+ panel though. It was really big. We didn't do the big movie release panel. I was glad, because I don't like spoilers. The voices panel was very cool. The last presentation on the last day had singers from the movies and musicals perform the songs live. I am not usually really big into that, but it was amazing.
Well if you'll be at Destination this year, I'll be there and would be glad to talk to you! It will be my first time. Thanks for your thoughts, it's very helpful. I'm definitely going to give the expo a try, I like to go to Disneyland in September anyway. Hopefully they'll have Oogie Boogie Bash again in September and around these dates.

Well if you'll be at Destination this year, I'll be there and would be glad to talk to you! It will be my first time. Thanks for your thoughts, it's very helpful. I'm definitely going to give the expo a try, I like to go to Disneyland in September anyway. Hopefully they'll have Oogie Boogie Bash again in September and around these dates.

I remember seeing you on the Destination D thread. That's why I mentioned it. I wish I was going this year. I already made plans like a year and half ago to be at Universal that weekend for a podcast meetup. Unfortunately, half of the podcasters are in the UK and can't get over here, so it was moved to next year. I have a DVC stay booked for the rest of Thanksgiving week this year, so that's not really very moveable. I was really bummed that they announced it so late. We just decided to stick with our original plans. Maybe I will be able to make it to the next one. I really loved Destination D. I did it first, before doing the Expo. Luckily, my friends were able to set my expectations for the Expo appropriately, so I wasn't disappointed.

We did do some sleeping on the hard concrete floor at Expo. I had 2 of those Fantasmic seat cushions that they give you for the Blue Bayou seating. I put one under my head and one under my hip (side sleeper). I had earplugs, a hood with a drawstring, eye mask, and trail mix. I did actually get some sleep, probably because we had been out past midnight the night before, got back to the room, slept for an hour or two, and headed to the concrete. It really made me appreciate my bed at home:rotfl2:

I really want to get back to Disneyland. I haven't been since Expo 2019 :( They had a bunch of special cool things going on at the park because of the Expo, so that was pretty cool. It was in August though, so no Oogie Boogie Bash. I have only been to DLR in the summer.

I really want to get back to Disneyland. I haven't been since Expo 2019 :( They had a bunch of special cool things going on at the park because of the Expo, so that was pretty cool. It was in August though, so no Oogie Boogie Bash. I have only been to DLR in the summer.
Ooh, cool on the special stuff at the parks. I'll be going after the expo, though, so we'll see if they'll still have it. Mid September is the best time for low crowds at DLR, so I like that. One year I'd like to go in mid November to see the holiday decor, and that's supposed to be a low crowd time also. But I'm in the East, so multiple trips to DLR in a year aren't always feasible.

It was pretty annoying that they announced Destinations so late, we had a DVC stay early December that we ended up moving up to the week before Thanksgiving. Through a lot of stalking the website we were able to get reservations and will only have to move once in the middle of the week (BWV then VGF).

And yeah, no concrete for me 🤣, but very glad to know thanks to y'all that one can do the expo and enjoy it without having to do that 😁.

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that monetary transactions are not allowed on the Disboards.... including asking to have items picked up and reimbursing payments. This is due to prior experiences where people sent money and lost it, or purchased items for someone else and weren't paid for them. This happened enough times that it was decided not to allow these types of transaction discussions on these forums.

I have been to 5 Expos, and while I have been attending the large panels (hearing them announce SW expansion at the Live Action panel was incredible...) the small ones stick with me more. The Hercules panel, I just jumped in the standby (alone) at last minute, got a great seat (only needed one). It was so great. Love Voices of the Parks. I missed Disney+ because I happily chose the Agents of Shield one (loved it). Earlier Expos had ride development type ones, LOVED those, like Little Mermaid, Star Tours (update), and the Cars land ones (before it opened). And John Lassiter was very entertaining (before his fall from grace). In any case, we have hotel booked and want to return. It will be interesting to see how they handle the overnight lines. I loved overnighting in the basement, it was safer, and bathrooms were available! Otherwise, you are out on the street.

I have been to 5 Expos, and while I have been attending the large panels (hearing them announce SW expansion at the Live Action panel was incredible...) the small ones stick with me more. The Hercules panel, I just jumped in the standby (alone) at last minute, got a great seat (only needed one). It was so great. Love Voices of the Parks. I missed Disney+ because I happily chose the Agents of Shield one (loved it).

I really wanted to do the Agent of Shields panel in 2019. My sister got too overwhelmed so we stuck mostly to the floor show panels/events. She still had a blast and wants to go back in 2022. So, we are taking back up in the form our dad and hopefully our mom. So, hopefully, I should be able to hit up more panels in 2022.

Just booked Candy Cane Inn for D23 next year. I'm coming in early and doing the parks for a couple days and since I'll be solo I like the idea of their shuttle to the parks and I can walk or uber to the convention center.

For those that have gone before - how crazy insane is it to try and buy tickets to the event when they are released? Does it sell out quick?

For those that have gone before - how crazy insane is it to try and buy tickets to the event when they are released? Does it sell out quick?
For the last 2 events, the 3 day tickets will sell out much quicker than the individual day. Unless you try for a Sorcerer's Pass (if they are offered this year), I wouldn't expect the tickets to sell out that quick. But we don't know if they plan on capping the attendance, which would then create a bit more demand. D23 typically will give people plenty of notice of the day and time that the tickets will go on sale.

Just booked Candy Cane Inn for D23 next year. I'm coming in early and doing the parks for a couple days and since I'll be solo I like the idea of their shuttle to the parks and I can walk or uber to the convention center.

For the 2019 Expo, it wasn't so much that the tickets went so fast, but the registration for the various presentations and shopping times etc. were crazy! I wonder whether they'll do a similar thing or change it again - many people were shut out.

For the 2019 Expo, it wasn't so much that the tickets went so fast, but the registration for the various presentations and shopping times etc. were crazy! I wonder whether they'll do a similar thing or change it again - many people were shut out.
That was because there was a hiccup in the system letting a select few folk book huge swaths of functions a few minutes before opening.

We were lucky to get in about 2 minutes after official time and all the marvel signings were gone already. Still got quite a few signings with Doctor and the Lopez's which were great photo ops and thrilled to see these talents.

Do gold memberships and the free memberships get to buy tickets at the same time? What’s the typical price difference? Trying to decide if I should buy the gold this year.

A word of warning to the disabled. D23 is not Disney. At the 2019 Expo they were openly hostile to the disabled. Is the line 24 hours long? Excuse me while I shed a tear -- now get in line like everyone else. Are there stairs to navigate as your seminar group is allowed to get in line in front of the doors for another hour wait before the room is opened? Well, there's an elevator about a quarter mile that-a-way and when you get to the correct floor, it's back of the line for you. No special treatment, no quarter given.

A word of warning to the disabled. D23 is not Disney. At the 2019 Expo they were openly hostile to the disabled. Is the line 24 hours long? Excuse me while I shed a tear -- now get in line like everyone else. Are there stairs to navigate as your seminar group is allowed to get in line in front of the doors for another hour wait before the room is opened? Well, there's an elevator about a quarter mile that-a-way and when you get to the correct floor, it's back of the line for you. No special treatment, no quarter given.
That sucks. I know they treated most people this way (that's how I felt we were treated), but there's no reason to treat people with mobility issues like this. They already have enough poo to deal with.

Does anyone remember when sorcerer packages went on sale relative to regular tickets for expo 2019? Did they go on sale at the same time?

Also, were the regular tickets transferable? I think they were, because I bought tickets for some friends. I thought they didn't get assigned an attendee until the badges were registered. Does that sound right?

Does anyone remember when sorcerer packages went on sale relative to regular tickets for expo 2019? Did they go on sale at the same time?

Also, were the regular tickets transferable? I think they were, because I bought tickets for some friends. I thought they didn't get assigned an attendee until the badges were registered. Does that sound right?
They went on sale the same day last time. I think maybe an hour before regular passes.

They went on sale the same day last time. I think maybe an hour before regular passes.
Oh good. That would give people who couldn't get sorcerer a chance to buy regular tickets. Looking at how quickly Destination D sold out, I think the expo tickets will go much faster this year.

New Gold member and would be first time attending with 13 yr old daughter who is HUGE Disney fan. Do they announce what time Gold can purchase on the day they release ticket sales? Only have seen the date. Also, do you register for panels at the same time you buy tickets? Does Gold get to do so before others? Sorry first time attending so lots of questions! Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter