Cruising for Practically Free…Yep..I said Free!

Joining in! I need to live vicariously through you, and learn some new tips, as I just viewed the 2020 dates, and we are currently priced out of DCL! :( Wow did the rates jump for then! And at that price I can't justify taking DS out of school - he'll be a freshman then, and in advanced classes, so too much to make up.

Do you do Ibotta? I've heard of Ibotta and Swagbucks but haven't sign up for either. Still trying to figure out how exactly each works. Haven't heard about the other one you mentioned, so will have to look into it. I figure the more I can save on a cruise, the more cruises I can go on, lol!!

If all goes well, I do want to Cruise in Feb for my 50th. It may not actually be on my birthday, but if I can find the right cruise for the right price, I am out of here!!!
Hop on the Feb 2nd Fantasy, I'll buy you a drink for your birthday and we can play Farkle! LOL :tongue::rotfl2:

Lisa

Joining in... I have a pre trip btw (link in sig) we're finally going back to WDW :faint::jumping1:

Joining in! I need to live vicariously through you, and learn some new tips, as I just viewed the 2020 dates, and we are currently priced out of DCL! :( Wow did the rates jump for then! And at that price I can't justify taking DS out of school - he'll be a freshman then, and in advanced classes, so too much to make up.

I haven't even looked at the pricing....I'm scared! I really hope to cruise at least once a year, so lets hope they have some last minute good rates!

Do you do Ibotta? I've heard of Ibotta and Swagbucks but haven't sign up for either. Still trying to figure out how exactly each works. Haven't heard about the other one you mentioned, so will have to look into it. I figure the more I can save on a cruise, the more cruises I can go on, lol!!

I have not done Ibotta but did sign up a few years ago. It seemed like more work than I had time for at the time. The thing with these sites is it is best to stick with one or 2as you really aren't supposed to repeat offers so I mainly Swag.

Hop on the Feb 2nd Fantasy, I'll buy you a drink for your birthday and we can play Farkle! LOL :tongue::rotfl2:

Lisa

You never know...that may be what I do. I really want to go on the Wonder as that is the ship I haven't been on...but they only have short ones in Feb and then the Panama canal. Now I would love that, but I don't think I can take Claire out for 2 weeks...however, if the price is right...I would..because it would be more educational than anything she could learn in school.

Following along ~ LOVE your trip reports!

Thanks!!!

Joining in... I have a pre trip btw (link in sig) we're finally going back to WDW :faint::jumping1:

Woohooo!!!

July 9, 2018, Monday

We typically fly out of Columbus, which is about 2 ½ hours away. The flights tend to be cheaper and direct and my sister lives there, so arriving the night before doesn’t cost us anything.

Mom had to work, so we planned to leave after she got done. I believe she only worked a partial day and then went home to change and load her car. She then picked Claire and I up and we loaded our belongings in (crammed pack!) and started our journey to my sister’s house. There was no need to get there too early as my sister was also working.

Once we arrived, we said our hellos and then headed right back out to go eat dinner. We had decided on Matt the Miller’s, which has some great food and options that Claire would eat (she is sooo picky).

Service was slow tonight, but we were not in any hurry.

Claire went with a steak……her favorite food.

dinner1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I went with a pick 2 combo, which was a flatbread and soup.

dinner2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was very good and we had a nice time. Mom insisted on paying. She said since I paid for all the extras for the trip she was going to be paying for many meals. No use arguing as I know I won’t win.

After dinner, we stopped off at Graeter’s for ice –cream. This stuff is like the best ice-cream ever! Each trip to Columbus we do try to fit it in if possible.

dessert by Jenseib, on Flickr

Of course I texted that pic to my other sister who is obsessed with ice-cream and Graeter’s. That’s just the thing big sister’s do…right? Hahaha.

We then headed back to Amanda’s and hung out for the evening and then went to bed. I had to do some last minute work, so I had brought my laptop, however, I did not want to bring it to Florida with me. I hadn’t thought about it, but we were driving to the airport and leaving Mom’s car there. I didn’t want to leave it in the car for the week and leaving it at Amanda’s would mean I couldn’t easily pick it up when we got back as she would be working. In the end, she said she would bring it to her work as it is closer to the airport and we could just stop there after we got back. We left some other things too then…like the clothes we had worn down that day. Why bring dirty laundry with us…right?

Claire and I slept in the spare room and I never sleep well before a trip and this was no exception. Oh well…no need to fight it!

Joining in! I haven't been on the DIS too much for a while now but I have been coming on more recently. Looking forward to hearing about your cruise!!

Joining in! I haven't been on the DIS too much for a while now but I have been coming on more recently. Looking forward to hearing about your cruise!!

Yes...I hardly have time to get here anymore either. Darn life gets in the way.

July 10, 2018, Tuesday

We had to get up at the crack of dawn as our flight was leaving at 6:55 AM. Now Columbus Airport is small, so it doesn’t usually take too long to get through security. And at the wee hours of the morning, the traffic is not an issue. It literally takes 10-15 minutes to get to the airport at that hour.

We decided on a time to leave and then got up and did a quick freshening up for the day and headed out. No need to be too pretty. We would be spending the day outside in Florida…in 100 degree weather. Actually not much different than home, but at home we don’t spend all day outside.

I dropped Mom, Claire, and the bags off and we checked those right in curb side and then I headed off to the Green parking lot….AKA..cheap parking lot. We always park there and it’s only like $7 a day and not too hard to find, though I almost always pass it first then have to turn around. LOL.

I found a spot…wow the lot seemed really full, but luckily it was right by a shuttle pick up station. I saw one coming around, but I just couldn’t get parked and out fast enough so I had to wait for the next one.

departing1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I took a quick (blurry) picture so I would remember where to go next week when we got home.

I met up with Mom and Claire and we headed to the TSA precheck line. Mom has TSA precheck and Claire and I both now have global entry, which includes TSA precheck. The line was actually kind of long and regular security looked shorter, but when all was said and done, our line moved faster. Plus we don’t have to strip down or take shoes off.

We headed to our gate and had a little time for bathroom breaks and reading some emails on our phones and getting a little extra charge on the electronics and then it was time to line up.

We all had early bird check in and it was kind of funny…..I bought it for Claire and I right away. Mom didn’t get her flights till later, and then added the EB even later than that. Technically, the sooner you get it, the better number you get. Mom’s number was better than ours and only a few people ahead of us. Who knows how that happened?

I will skip over the flight as I didn’t take early pictures (Claire was by the window), and it was uneventful other than people racing to the bathroom. Is it just me? I try not to go to the bathroom if possible on a shorter flight, but sometimes I need to…but what amazes me is how many people are going as soon as the seat belt sign is off (or even before) and my Mom is one of them. Many times it’s only ½ into the flight. Oh well, I guess people love airplane bathrooms….me not so much.

I believe we landed pretty much on time and made our way to get our luggage. Woooohooo! We are in Florida!

One of my bags was the first one off and on the carousel. Wow! Mom was having a little bit of issues handling her bags…she packed 2 big ones that she checked. Claire and I each had a big one and a carry on size. I think we ended up giving Mom one of the carry on sized ones and taking one of her big ones to make it easier.

We headed off to Alamo, which had a big line, but I decided to try the kiosk to check in and it worked like a charm and we were off to the parking garage.

When we arrived at the garage we were told we could pick any vehicle in a particular row. I typically am told this at MCO and usually it’s an upgrade and sure enough, there were several mini vans to choose from so we got one…which worked out fabulous for us.

We struggled a bit trying to figure out how to get the 3rd row of seats down and only got them partially down, but it worked well enough.

We were officially on vacation now and headed off to our first stop!

We took off and headed towards Disney World. The one thing I like about Alamo is that you can breeze through the toll stations and it just adds it to your account. Most rental companies that allow this have a daily fee…Alamo does too, but only on the days you use it, so that makes it nice. I despise stopping for tolls.

Soon we were parking and heading to the tram.

dhs1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We chose Hollywood Studios today so that we could see the new Toy Story Land! I knew it would be crowded and hot and we did not plan to stay the whole day, but I thought it would be nice to see it first hand!

My special ticket had to be picked up at Guest Services and there was a LONG line. Really? Why do all these people need Guest Services??? I waited and Mom and Claire found some shade. One CM came up to me and said she couldn’t help me with her tablet and I would have to go to the window…finally another did come and she was able to help me. I got the ticket in hand and quickly added it to my MDE and then went on to pick fastpasses. Sadly, with my ticket I couldn’t do it ahead of time….but again, this trip was booked so last minute that that didn’t really make a difference.

We headed in and made way for the Storm Troopers.

dhs3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And off to Toy Story Land!

dhs4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we passed by Slinky Dog Dash it said 70 minutes….my mom said “who in their right might mind would wait 70 minutes?” I replied with “I’m surprised it’s not longer and was just thinking it was doable” And Claire agreed.

dhs55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was bright and colorful!

We oohed and ahhed…but we were hungry too and needed a quick bite.

dhs58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Not much in the way of shade anywhere in this land though and not nearly enough tables for those eating.

dhs59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Honestly, I wasn’t too excited about the choices but I wanted to try it out anyways.

dhs61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Toy Soldiers are out and about!

dhs63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We ordered the Monte Cristo to share…but Claire didn’t want anything. Paid for with Gift card!

dhs64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs67 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The CM’s working saw me taking pictures and took my camera to take a picture of the Grown Up’s lemonade spout.

dhs68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs69 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our food came out and we went to look for a spot. Mom wanted shade and a seat and really neither were available.

We did find a standing table, but not much shade.

dhs7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We totally laughed at the amount of tator tots. They sure aren’t very generous…and of course Claire wanted those.

dhs70 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And they were cold…not luke warm…but cold. The sandwich was just ok but I doubt I would ever get it again. Mom only ate half of her half. It wasn’t filling, but enough to tie us over till later.

Sounds like an uneventful travel day which is always a good thing. You aren't the first person that I have heard complain about the lack of shade in Toy Story Land. Doesn't Disney know after all these years that they gotta have shade? I mean, Hello!, it's Florida people.

I can't wait to see Toy Story Land, it looks so cute!

As we passed by Slinky Dog Dash it said 70 minutes….my mom said “who in their right might mind would wait 70 minutes?” I replied with “I’m surprised it’s not longer and was just thinking it was doable” And Claire agreed.
That wait time isn't bad for a brand new ride.

That's so cute!

Our food came out and we went to look for a spot. Mom wanted shade and a seat and really neither were available.
I've noticed a lot of people have mentioned there is almost no shade in this land. That makes it really hard to visit in the hot months when shade is desperately needed.

And they were cold…not luke warm…but cold. The sandwich was just ok but I doubt I would ever get it again. Mom only ate half of her half. It wasn’t filling, but enough to tie us over till later.
Yuck, cold food is no good. I don't think we'll be trying this place on our visit.

Im here! Following along! Loving all your money saving tips! I do so many of the same things! Our honeymoon all we have paid for right now is our flight home! Andrew's parents paid for our cruise so I don't count that because it is not my money!

I haven't seen Toy Story Land yet for myself but it seems like the consensus is there is very little shade. I hope they rethink that and add something.

Sounds like an uneventful travel day which is always a good thing. You aren't the first person that I have heard complain about the lack of shade in Toy Story Land. Doesn't Disney know after all these years that they gotta have shade? I mean, Hello!, it's Florida people.

Yeah they didn't think that through at all. Hello!! Florida is hot!

I can't wait to see Toy Story Land, it looks so cute!

It is adorable

That wait time isn't bad for a brand new ride.

I thought it was good too. I expected a few hours.

That's so cute!

They had a lot of little cute touches

I've noticed a lot of people have mentioned there is almost no shade in this land. That makes it really hard to visit in the hot months when shade is desperately needed.

I agree. The heat is bad to begin with, why not make it doable at least.

Yuck, cold food is no good. I don't think we'll be trying this place on our visit.

I have heard some people love it, especially breakfast...for me...well we are picky. And the cold tator tots didn't help.

Im here! Following along! Loving all your money saving tips! I do so many of the same things! Our honeymoon all we have paid for right now is our flight home! Andrew's parents paid for our cruise so I don't count that because it is not my money!

Well I coun't it when people pay for me ! hahaha. It's nice! Your cruise is just around the corner now!!! Woohoooo!!!

I haven't seen Toy Story Land yet for myself but it seems like the consensus is there is very little shade. I hope they rethink that and add something.

Yes, the lack of shade is an issue. I also think they need to add more fans in line.

Toy Story Land is soooo adorable.

it really is!

We looked around some more. And took some pictures.

dhs8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire really wanted to ride Slinky Dog and really I did too but we knew Mom didn’t. She said she would go find a spot to cool off and find us later.

We got in line.

dhs10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It still said 70 minutes. The line was around the outside and again, this area was not thought out well and not much shade. They did have big umbrellas lining the way.

dhs11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we got closer we got to talking to a CM….who was hilarious. He was saying that Disney is SHOCKED that they are drawing so many people to this area. They didn’t think it would be this busy and didn’t schedule enough people at first and the Queue was made too small as they didn’t expect the crowds….oh and they didn’t think about needing shade either. He said they had to quickly get umbrellas to line the queues after they realized it was going to be a hit hard with crowds.

Claire was just eating up all the info and the way he said everything was hilarious too. He just had this tone to his voice.

He also said that eventually when Galaxy Edge opens that that area will actually be the “entrance” and people are encouraged to enter there and then come into Toy Story Land and exit out that way. He said there is a big Toy Story Land sign already over there.

It was all interesting and it will be neat to see if that all works out or is true.

As we got into the main queue there were some fans set up, but not nearly enough in my opinion. Have I mentioned it was HOT????

dhs71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

See how there is no shade?

dhs72 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

You can kind of see the umbrellas lining the outer area though the plants.

dhs12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs75 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs77 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This had the video of the ride safety instructions.

dhs78 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And video….excuse my ugly sweaty mug at the beginning!

dhs79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

While in line we tried the new in park game through the app…we found it actually pretty stupid. I hope they make it better.

dhs81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we were standing next to the glue bottle Claire noticed that the glue is made in Westerville, Ohio, which is where my sister actually lives.

dhs14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The whole queue really is cute and done well (with the exception of shade and not enough fans).

dhs16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs85 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs86 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs87 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Finally we were ready!!!!

dhs17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We are next!!!!

dhs88 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dhs84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Soooooo excited!!!

dhs89 by Jenseib, on Flickr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter