• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wished they would sell Epcot after 4 passes to people not living in Florida. I would buy one in a second. I love Epcot! Especially Mexico!

I just think the paid reservation system right now and for the foreseeable future is Disney chasing after pennies on the ground while they are ignoring the stacks of dollars on the shelf. The big money maker when it comes to park guests for Disney will always be on site guests because of the massive resort operations that charge a huge premium. Anything that devalues that is going to be a huge long term negative and is even a bigger negative when they can't come close to filling the reduced number of rooms they will be operating at for a long time. Having park guests stay at their resorts instead of offsite options should be their number one concern. Anything that makes staying offsite look more attractive to park quests should be a non starter for Disney.
Right .. if things get back to "normal"(no safety restrictions).. but Disney attendance isn't picking up -- this could be a good thing for Disney guests. Disney will have to make it attractive to come and attractive to stay on-site. A lot of the discounts and perks came about after 2001 tourist slump. We could see the same thing (though it will take time).

So FastPass+ may go away as we know it, but return and ONLY usable by onsite guests.

But getting to that point (of normalcy) could take a year at this pace.

Over on the RotR thread someone reported they were allowing people to park hop to epcot in the evening because of the ride being down due to lightning strike

If they’re really allowing this, then its only a matter of time before they make EPCOT a Park-Hop eligible park for more than just guest recovery. I dont think it’ll be a free-for-all situation where they allow everyone from MK/DHS/AK to head to EPCOT whenever they want, but I think the option is coming. At least I hope.

If they’re really allowing this, then its only a matter of time before they make EPCOT a Park-Hop eligible park for more than just guest recovery. I dont think it’ll be a free-for-all situation where they allow everyone from MK/DHS/AK to head to EPCOT whenever they want, but I think the option is coming. At least I hope.

The thing that works against park hopping to EPCOT is the early timing of the park closure. Park hopping allowed from 4 pm to 7 pm I guess is better than nothing.

I agree that a paid ride reservation service is likely coming, but the reason is not because more people got efficient at using FP+. From an operations standpoint, FP+ has greater utility when as many people as possible are utilizing it.
I’m not saying that’s why it’s coming. It’s coming b/c it brings in $$. I’m saying that’s why I would be willing to pay for it. Pp asked why are ppl so happy to pay for things that used to be free.

For lots of people time is money, so once major attractions are longer than a 30 minute wait, I'd argue that a paid system is viable. I'd also argue that one reason why wait times are so low is because there's no fast pass. Allowing people to cut the standard que has a negative impact on the standard que and once they add something back in, wait times will be going up. There's lots of ways that they could implement it and they're still using the fast pass system for things like guest recovery, disability services and (I think) rider swap. I mean, they could use it as an incentive to stay at a Walt Disney World Hotel. Say 1 anytime fast pass per day for staying at a value, 2 for moderates and 3 for deluxe. They already did something similar for people staying concierge.

Under that criteria, I'd say that it would currently be viable at Magic Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios. They don't even necessarily need a high tech solution right now, they could just as easily give people lanyards with the date on it. They could easily just say that they system is evolving right now, so people know it's not necessarily going to be something that they do long term. Just the advantage of not being in a que with a lot of other people may be enough to get people to pay for front of the line access, it was for me when I went to Dollywood this July when the longest wait was 30-45 minutes. The advantage to a low tech, front of the line system is that it's almost all pure profit.

It will be interesting to see what they do, but I don't think it's going to be exactly the same as it was before. COVID has cost them way too much money for them not to try to find new ways to make money.
One other thing worth mentioning (I'm sure many will disagree with me as usual though) is that I think FP+ has considerable more appeal to domestic visitors. Why? Because domestic visitors generally go for shorter trips where there is more pressure to get everything done in the time they are there. For international visitors who likely stay for 10 or more days its often a more relaxed visit where taking in all the theming of a stand by queue is more preferable than whizzing through FP queue and missing out on a lot of the theming.

The thing that works against park hopping to EPCOT is the early timing of the park closure. Park hopping allowed from 4 pm to 7 pm I guess is better than nothing.

It gives them a reason to add in additional charges. Charge $30-50 for a EPCOT park hopper (APs allowed access with no extra charge). I know personally it would allow me to take my full EPCOT day, change it to another DHS day to try for RotR, go on a few rides and head over to EPCOT in the afternoon.

It gives them a reason to add in additional charges. Charge $30-50 for a EPCOT park hopper (APs allowed access with no extra charge). I know personally it would allow me to take my full EPCOT day, change it to another DHS day to try for RotR, go on a few rides and head over to EPCOT in the afternoon.
Interesting. I wonder how many more would do that and so actually make Epcot even quieter during the daytimes? - and DHS busier.

Interesting. I wonder how many more would do that and so actually make Epcot even quieter during the daytimes? - and DHS busier.

Yes. It's hard to justify an all-day experience at EPCOT in lieu of the other parks if you can park hop.

If your vacation was 5 days or less, it'd be tough to eat a whole day reservation there. Here comes the EPCOT loyalists to kill me (I LOVE EPCOT!).

DH & I would be all for this, especially if they push EPCOT hours back to 9pm. I’d much prefer having the choice between EPCOT and DS and the resort in the evenings rather than just DS and the resort.

Yes. It's hard to justify an all-day experience at EPCOT in lieu of the other parks if you can park hop.

If your vacation was 5 days or less, it'd be tough to eat a whole day reservation there. Here comes the EPCOT loyalists to kill me (I LOVE EPCOT!).
Oh I dunno, every time I try and ride test track it takes at least a couple of hours as its guaranteed it will go down whilst I'm in the queue.

Another hour at least in La Cava de Tequila...

Yeah i could still fill a whole day in Epcot. It used to be a 2 day park for us.

Regarding the media event: worth noting that Disney quietly had a very small media event a few weeks ago (ish) to go over some of the new measures. I believe most of it was on background/not meant for explicit reporting. This is likely a larger version of that plus to showcase some new F&W offerings. I wouldn’t expect anything earth shattering. If RAT opens this year, I wouldn’t expect nearly the amount of fanfare we usually do for new attractions.
Maybe an announcement on when the walkway from gf to mk is opening
As of now, some CMs at the GF have been told that the target is for that to be open by September 21, the resort’s reopening.
Well, at least a few places at DS are trying to bring more people in:

Kids eat free at Paddlefish and Terralina through Aug 31st

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ddlefish-at-disney-springs-through-august-31/
Had a lovely meal at Terralina on Friday! Had never been there, but not only was the food good but the restaurant was very spaced out and felt safe (much more so than Boathouse). They even gave us little bags (with the restaurant logo) to put our masks in.
Speculation.

But ... a very reliable insider from another board has shared that the FP+ system as we know it is not coming back. People are speculating from there. The base is rooted in solid insider info.
Perhaps I missed something, but I’m not aware of any developments on this front. I thought it was pretty well understood that when FP+ was “suspended” that it would be returning in a different form. WDW leadership sees this as sort of an opportunity to make some changes they’ve wanted to for a while. FP changes and a Park Reservation System are amongst those changes. That was the plan back in early June, and as far as I know, that’s still the plan but there’s no timeline on that at the moment.

Regarding the media event: worth noting that Disney quietly had a very small media event a few weeks ago (ish) to go over some of the new measures. I believe most of it was on background/not meant for explicit reporting. This is likely a larger version of that plus to showcase some new F&W offerings. I wouldn’t expect anything earth shattering. If RAT opens this year, I wouldn’t expect nearly the amount of fanfare we usually do for new attractions.

As of now, some CMs at the GF have been told that the target is for that to be open by September 21, the resort’s reopening.

Had a lovely meal at Terralina on Friday! Had never been there, but not only was the food good but the restaurant was very spaced out and felt safe (much more so than Boathouse). They even gave us little bags (with the restaurant logo) to put our masks in.

Perhaps I missed something, but I’m not aware of any developments on this front. I thought it was pretty well understood that when FP+ was “suspended” that it would be returning in a different form. That was the plan back in early June, and as far as I know, that’s still the plan but there’s no timeline on that at the moment.
Interesting on the IF Rat opens this year. I had been thinking along those lines as well. Even though construction will probably finish on it by October-November they would probably be smart to hold off on opening it until later in 2021. Right now they’re probably viewing Epcot as their overflow park (generally available in all buckets, even day of) and to introduce THE new ride into that park would make it so much more popular and possibly shut out guests from parks entirely (mainly APs). Plus, judging by the vast majority of parks pushing their new ride premieres to next year, I could totally see Disney doing this as well. I’d actually think there’s a better chance Tron opens before Rat just because of it being in MK.

A Facebook friend just posted this: "It’s been a great almost 2 months being a resident of Batuu and working for Ohnaka Transport Solutions. Starting Sunday, I’ll be trading the smuggler life in for a swimsuit at Yacht & Beach Club." Her pre-COVID job was as a lifeguard at one of the water parks. Do any of the YC/BC pools besides SAB have lifeguards? I'm not a pool person so I don't have firsthand knowledge as to whether this could mean something is happening at SAB.

I think someone said it wont be done until the end of the year
Oh man. I thought the spires were the last step. I guess I was foolishly thinking those walls (the ones around the fountain) would be down by our trip in 3 weeks.
A Facebook friend just posted this: "It’s been a great almost 2 months being a resident of Batuu and working for Ohnaka Transport Solutions. Starting Sunday, I’ll be trading the smuggler life in for a swimsuit at Yacht & Beach Club." Her pre-COVID job was as a lifeguard at one of the water parks. Do any of the YC/BC pools besides SAB have lifeguards? I'm not a pool person so I don't have firsthand knowledge as to whether this could mean something is happening at SAB.
This would correspond to the NBA leaving Yacht and DVC is telling people that SAB will open by Aug 24.. And no the other pools don't have lifeguards.

Oh I dunno, every time I try and ride test track it takes at least a couple of hours as its guaranteed it will go down whilst I'm in the queue.

Another hour at least in La Cava de Tequila...

Yeah i could still fill a whole day in Epcot. It used to be a 2 day park for us.

It becomes a full day park when you need the FP+ for FEA, TT or Soarin'. I think otherwise, it's the perfect park hopper park.

We always hit at least twice during every vacation as well.

One other thing worth mentioning (I'm sure many will disagree with me as usual though) is that I think FP+ has considerable more appeal to domestic visitors. Why? Because domestic visitors generally go for shorter trips where there is more pressure to get everything done in the time they are there. For international visitors who likely stay for 10 or more days its often a more relaxed visit where taking in all the theming of a stand by queue is more preferable than whizzing through FP queue and missing out on a lot of the theming.
FP+ as it was set up, encouraged those domestic guests to spend their whole vacation inside the WDW bubble. The premium they would have to charge for a paid reservation system to make up for the other money they will lose will be through the roof. If I don't have to do seven days at the parks, buy park hopping and stay in WDW resorts to get everything done I want to...….I am not going to do it.

I am cutting my trip to six nights, I am going to buy Disney's express pass, doing only four days at WDW, I'm staying at one of the premier hotels at Universal and spending two days at Universal's parks. If Disney is charging $200 per person, per day for Disney's express pass..... that trip is saving me a small amount of money, but we are getting more done in less time. Disney is losing all the money that we would spend on seven days of park hoppers, breakfast seven days, dinner seven days, lunch four days and our stay for seven nights at one of Disney's deluxe resorts. Disney is losing out on over $2000 from my family on that trip with us paying for the fast pass express from Disney. That is with Disney charging 125% premium over what Universal charges for their express pass.

So I am all for a system like that, but that isn't the system that is coming because Disney can do math. Whatever is coming in the future isn't going to be anything like what people are thinking right now and I don't think it will be rolled out anytime soon. It will be something that discourages off site stays and doesn't encourage shorter stays.

Perhaps I missed something, but I’m not aware of any developments on this front. I thought it was pretty well understood that when FP+ was “suspended” that it would be returning in a different form. WDW leadership sees this as sort of an opportunity to make some changes they’ve wanted to for a while. FP changes and a Park Reservation System are amongst those changes. That was the plan back in early June, and as far as I know, that’s still the plan but there’s no timeline on that at the moment.

Exactly. There are no new developments. Just continued confirmation from insiders that FP+ in it’s pre-covid state will not return. There are no new developments other than speculation based on that, to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter