Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at how every day the same people come here and make the same statements to each other. You folks must have this stuff on cut and paste right? Because it's clear at this point none of you are going to convince the other of anything. I get we are all bored and cranky, but some of you people amaze me with your willingness to do this every day... do you not recognize the usernames, do you simply not care, or is it pathological that you must try and have the last word?

This thread is about disney operational updates. Discussion of covid science is off topic since it does not relate to what disney is going to do.
Science is going to directly inform their operational updates, but ok. If a claim is made that is scientifically false, that should be deleted, right? Because otherwise I really don't understand the point of the rule.

For the time being, we have our answer. Chapek said masks will be required for guests and employees. Whether you like it or not, that seems to be the company's current position. Ultimately, if you don't want to wear one, then maybe this year may be the year to try another destination for vacation or do a staycation. Arguments about the feasibility and enforceability seem moot at the moment. Whether it be pool hopping, refillable mugs, or other Disney "controversies," the general consensus on these Boards is to follow Disney's stated rules (discussing how to break them is actually prohibited in The DIS's guidelines) and usually Disney finds a way to enforce these rules. I'm not going to apply a different standard to face masks.

Also, I will keep reiterating this: the moderators and owners of this Board have made it clear that this forum (and this specific thread) is not the place to have a debate regarding larger reopenings nationwide. I've been asking myself before I post: does this really pertain to WDW/Disney directly or am I really having a larger argument?
Actually he said “likely”

The writing is on the wall as far as masks are concerned. This is like if Chapek came out and said “the parks will likely open in some fashion in June” and we had debates about if he really meant it or if they’re opening in August.

Until they say otherwise, prepare yourself to wear a mask or don’t go 🤷🏻‍♀️. And the conversation about how to get around it because you don’t like it should be met with just as much hostility as asking how to pool hop or how to use an old mug.

Another bad analogy. Characters take regular breaks where they go and take the tops off. Especially in the summer. You are asking guests to go through a theme park for 6-8-10 hours straight with a mask on that will be full of sweat in 95 degree heat in no time.

There's also no cparison to a full body costume and a small face mask. Face masks are a lot better.

Mask policy is not going to keep WDW closed until the fall.

As I've said a bunch of times, Disney is not going to keep losing $20-30 million per day for some indefinite period of time. Universal won't stay closed. Neither will SeaWorld. Neither will the state of Florida or the city of Orlando, as they need tourism to start back up just to be able to survive economically. With DS now phasing opening on 5/20, it suggests to me WDW will be open at some point in June, whether its a "soft" opening or a phased-in opening of some sort, or a full-blown opening. People need to be coming to the realization that WDW will be reopening. Soon.

The bottom line is people are simply going to have to decide for themselves whether to come or not once the policies are put in place, whatever those policies end up being. I think the one thing Disney is torn on right now regarding the masks for guests in the US is that they know it will affect their bottom line negatively....it will be a deal breaker for many folks. It just will. And from a CM standpoint...imagine being a CM and having your job be on a daily basis to walk around and tell people ON VACATION to put their masks on if they are made mandatory. Yeesh. Not only that, but from swimming to eating to many attractions, wearing masks are simply not possible. You can't compare people wearing masks in Asia - where they are more commonplace in daily life - to wearing masks in this country. One of the biggest reasons WDW sent that survey out about what people will accept and not accept is so they can figure out how FEW restrictions they can have while still maintaining the balance between health and people having a good time on their vacation, all the while being able to take in a good amount of revenue. They're finding out what the true deal-breakers are for people. I believe masks will be one of the more polarizing answers, and the biggest deal-breakers amongst many people, especially families with young kids.

One thing they may try is having masks mandatory for theatre-style attractions where you may be sitting close to someone. Masks may be required for Disney transport. Some retailers may require masks to visit shops at DS. Masks will almost certainly be mandatory for employees. But I still find it next to impossible to make it mandatory for guests to wear masks in the parks.

And yet Shanghai didn't open their parks until months after they reopened their DS area....

So having masks as a requirement at all times is our deal breaker for our July trip. Summers in Orlando with the humidity are nearly unbearable. I always get that Disney heat rash after a few days as it is. I will wear them in indoor areas, transportation, etc. but not while walking around outside away from others. Masks are a cultural norm in Asia. They are definitely new in the US. Also, people in Asia for the most part live healthier lifestyles than the average WDW guest, and are able to wear a mask for extended times without having a possible heat stroke in the FL heat.

Actually he said “likely”
“Along with social distancing, one of the things we’re likely going to require is masks from both the cast and the guests. And I think the masks for the guests will be something that culturally is different. In Asia as you know, it’s fairly commonplace, even before covid for folks to walk around in public with masks on. That is not the case in the US. So that will be something that will be a little trying I think for some of the guests. Particularly in the hot, humid summers we intend to have”

I'm not here to argue semantics. If you want to hold out hope on that, go ahead. I personally think you'll be disappointed. The wording of this would indicate Disney wants to require masks. This is a substantial escalation from the language we've seen coming out , which has. talked about "exploring the possibilities of certain "personal protective coverings."

P.S. CEOs on these types of interviews generally never make commitments or comment on specifics unless they've come on with a definitive, planned announcement that has been prearranged with the show's producers; they don't want to make unintentional news.

So having masks as a requirement at all times is our deal breaker for our July trip. Summers in Orlando with the humidity are nearly unbearable. I always get that Disney heat rash after a few days as it is. I will wear them in indoor areas, transportation, etc. but not while walking around outside away from others. Masks are a cultural norm in Asia. They are definitely new in the US. Also, people in Asia for the most part live healthier lifestyles than the average WDW guest, and are able to wear a mask for extended times without having a possible heat stroke in the FL heat.
Weather is different in Shanghai than FL, at least Chapek acknowledged that.

Science is going to directly inform their operational updates, but ok. If a claim is made that is scientifically false, that should be deleted, right? Because otherwise I really don't understand the point of the rule.
Any post you believe is in question use the report feature. I have been a bit busy this morning and have not been able to read every post.

Advocating Hostility against your fellow DISers is very wrong. That's not what we're about here.
While I agree, we should remember that any discussion of getting around any Disney rule is just as prohibited here as conversations about politics or religion. To avoid points or more moderator headaches, I would discourage any conversation about bending or circumnavigating Disney's rules, whether it be about masks, mugs, or something else.

Does anybody remember that Magic Bands will be required ?
So for the guests not following the rules when they re-open they will have the ability to keep track of them.
I'm pretty sure there will be mask's required and mask free area's around the parks and resort's when you need some fresh air.
Thats not a for certain. That was a rumor spread by one of the posters claiming to have a high ranking Disney employee as a family member.

Advocating Hostility against your fellow DISers is very wrong. That's not what we're about here.

Questions and talk of breaking Disney's rules have always been met with hostility around here. Go start a thread about old mugs, pool hopping, lying about a childs age, etc if they are even allowed anymore and see what happens.

Once masks are official, I sure hope our mods nip the talk about "eating all the time, wink wink" or "they can't make you prove a medical issue" in the bud.

The writing is on the wall as far as masks are concerned. This is like if Chapek came out and said “the parks will likely open in some fashion in June” and we had debates about if he really meant it or if they’re opening in August.

Until they say otherwise, prepare yourself to wear a mask or don’t go 🤷🏻‍♀️. And the conversation about how to get around it because you don’t like it should be met with just as much hostility as asking how to pool hop or how to use an old mug.

I agree, sounds like they will be required. But I think it will be similar to how one of the bloggers mentioned about the first day at SDL - a lot of people were pulling them down, and it doesn’t sound like anything was said to them by CMs. It was also obvious in one video that I watched that not everyone was wearing one, as the city had relaxed mask requirements a few days beforehand.

Regardless, I think it will be extremely interesting to watch the stories unfold as the parks reopen. I don’t think you will see 100 percent compliance 100 percent of the time. I also don’t think Disney will be kicking people out unless they get hostile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter