Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon (assuming from your ID), I hope you and your family have a safe and fun trip. I think for many who have decided to not go, it's not just about us not feeling safe (though that's part of it), but what we may bring back to our communities. The spread in many of our communities has been spiked by a relatively small number of people starting the spread, often after travel. I applaud those who are traveling and will (can) isolate themselves or get tested before rejoining their community. If we were all being hygienic, safe, and taking such respectful measures, we would all be able to get back to "normal" sooner.

I don't think anyone is malicious or a villain, I just wanted to explain that, for many, it's not just an "I feel safe for my family" or "I don't feel safe for my family".

Absolutely. People make this too black and white, you’re either cowering at home in fear or you’re running around like a Gen Z-er on spring break in Florida.

It has completely stuck with me when I read someone ask how you’d feel if you tested positive and had to detail every place you’ve been for the last X amount of days. I want to be able to say “I went to the store once with a mask on, we went for a hike and stayed away from people, I picked up take out curbside, etc”.

There have been many of us, no matter which “side” of this you’re on who have been pretty realistically IMO pointing out that there is no way for Disney to make sure rules are being followed 100% of the time, even if they are doing the absolute most to be strictly enforcing them.

It is smart, IMO, to recognize this if you’re planning on going. People who are going to stress or freak out if they see something like what happened in front of 7DMT yesterday (that could have lasted for 10 seconds until a CM breaks it up) are going to have a hard time going to Disney right now. And the number of people who are claiming to be cancelling because of that one picture is weirdly high. Anyone who has been happy for them to be opening and okay going shouldn’t be deterred by that one picture.

CMs cannot be everywhere at all times. They cannot prevent everything before it happens. That is hardly a knock at Disney not being able to enforce rules they have in place, but a realistic (IMO of course) way of looking at humans in general. A great example that someone pointed out is rain. When a downpour happens out of nowhere, people are probably going to momentarily forget distancing and run for shelter. People are probably going to get too close to you. People are probably going to pull their masks down when CMs aren’t looking. Nobody should be going expecting perfection (and at the same time, nobody should be going thinking Disney is going to tolerate skirting of the rules).

Name the things in your life that are guaranteed 100%.

Long post alert. A few things to note about yesterday's reopening previews.

Everything I've heard from Guests, CMs, and Leadership seems to indicate the first day went really well. As previously discussed, they're expecting wait times to be a bit higher after CM previews. How high? They're still not quite sure; there's already ample evidence that the reduced hours, lack of park hopping, and limited experiences are going to have sizable effects on guest traffic patterns in the near term, but my understanding is that they're looking at Thursday and Friday as possible "worst case scenarios" in terms of how high waits could be under the current capacity restrictions. Still, those waits will likely pale in comparison to WDW's 90+ minute waits. It also seems like they've shifted their strategy to holding capacity steady at current caps until they can get a better idea of where the situation is headed. Originally, there was talk about re-evaluating some of the restrictions 4-6 weeks after opening, but with the current numbers (and how well they perceived yesterday to go), the plan seems to have shifted to holding steady with smaller modifications in the near term. Capacity levels may still creep up at some point, albeit not at the levels they initially anticipated, but in terms of increasing capacity at indoor attractions, shops, and restaurants, there's a growing consensus within management that that may not be happening for much longer than they expected. It's sort of a "don't fix what ain't broke" mentality." There's also still a lot of maintenance work left to be done in the coming days (and even weeks) on attractions. Some MK attractions were not in the best shape to begin with prior to the closure, and when any attraction doesn't run with guests for months, there's going to be some kinks and small problems when they start to take on guests again. I've been told that "will take some time." Regardless, I'm excited to see everything in person on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

A friend at WDW and I have an interesting take about safety I also wanted to share. It provided a bit of perspective. While I agree that WDW will be very safe (relatively speaking) and cleaner than it's been in the last 15 years, I also think we need to dispel with this idea that WDW is the "safest place" in Florida or anywhere right now (I'm guilty of this myself). As has been pointed out to me, "safety" and "risk" are relative. I certainly feel that the health and sanitation policies in place at WDW will be far more consistently and thoroughly executed than at most places, like my grocery store. But unlike my local grocery store, WDW is not essential (even though it really feels essential for most of us), so it's not an even risk comparison. The common retort becomes: well what about the CM's jobs? I absolutely agree we need to get them back to work and try to adapt to a new normal, which is why I will be there on Saturday. But that doesn't necessarily change the risk present. At the moment, there is an inherent risk in visiting any public place (and that risk is enhanced when those visits are elongated and around many people, even if it's a smaller number of people than it usually is as that place) and there is an added risk automatically assumed when traveling for non-essential purposes. That makes a trip to WDW "riskier" than a trip to your local grocery store. When we say things like "WDW is safer than anywhere else in Florida," we inadvertently minimize and trivialize that inherent risk we're accepting. WDW would not put up a disclaimer on the front page of DisneyWorld.com if they felt that risk was miniscule. Am I saying you shouldn't go? Absolutely not. Like I said, I'm going (multiple times within the next few months), but we have to be honest about that risk and make a decision we feel is best for ourselves and loved ones. As WDW has said, now might not be the right time for everyone to visit. Nobody should be judged for which decision they render (and I'm seeing some judgement on both sides). Also let's please not refer to those canceling their trips (even if because of the DFB picture) as having PTSD. As someone with a number of family and friends who suffer from PTSD after serving overseas, I respectfully ask that you not use that word (even sardonically) in a conversation about theme park vacations. Anyways, being honest about that risk also means taking the necessary precautions to mitigate it for yourself and for other Guests and CMs. We should all expect/hope for strict compliance and enforcement of that. We'll see in the coming days (I'm most curious about tomorrow and Friday).

That brings me to the DFB picture. Yes, it was click-bait (DFB has been doing that for quite some time). No, a gathering/rush like that shouldn't happen, especially with CMs and CM guests, but that's why WDW is holding these previews. These previews are not just about "good will," they're about ironing out the kinks of a several major operational changes to virtually all of WDW's lines of business, especially Attractions. What most causal fans don't necessarily realize is that the modifications to each of these attractions are being decided on by that area's leadership team then being reviewed and approved by upper management. That means some things can get lost (as is often the case with Disney) or that they may not think of something/some possible situation. With an operation as complex as WDW, management is not going to be able to think of every possible situation. I wouldn't have thought about post-downtime rushes (which seems to be what caused the incident that DFB highlighted), so I'd expect to see WDW review their options and implement some subtle changes in the coming days to curve that behavior. Little things like this are why WDW holds previews.

Finally, as I've pleaded before, can we stop with the media bashing please? This thread really isn't the place to vent about your frustrations with the media. I would not categorize any coverage we've seen from the general (not Disney-specific) media as a "firestorm" or "over-reactive." I've actually been surprised by how little national mainstream media has covered the reopening (one NYT interview with Josh or a mention about the WDW opening on CNN two weeks ago doesn't count as a "firestorm"). Why didn't UOR get a NYT article at all? Because most people outside of Florida don't even know or fully understand that UOR exists and it certainly doesn't attract the crowds that WDW does. It also doesn't have the same place in our pop culture that WDW does. Why didn't UOR cause this much consternation on this forum when it had difficulties during AP previews? As Yulady pointed out, it did to some extent. There actually was criticism on here, but this is a Disney-focused message board (with a UOR section that sees maybe a fifth of the traffic of the Disney threads), so the posters here are automatically going to pay more attention to WDW.

Name the things in your life that are guaranteed 100%.

Why? How do you take from my post that it should be 100% guaranteed? That’s my point, there are going to be slips and people need to be okay with it.

I’m not someone who freaked out at the 7DMT and took it to mean anything other than a completely expected blip in rule following.

Wonder what this means for Gaiters that have ear loops?

We should find that out definitively in the next few days. All of the gaiters I saw yesterday had ear loops cut into them. I feel like just a standard “No Gaiter Masks, even if ear loops are cut into them are prohibited” would be a very easy statement for Disney to make

We should find that out definitively in the next few days. All of the gaiters I saw yesterday had ear loops cut into them. I feel like just a standard “No Gaiter Masks, even if ear loops are cut into them are prohibited” would be a very easy statement for Disney to make
There are gaiters that are made with traditional ear loops though, not home DIY projects. I'm going to the AP preview tomorrow, and while we have many different types of mask I'm just curious. We'll probably just wear traditional masks tomorrow anyway though.

Why? How do you take from my post that it should be 100% guaranteed? That’s my point, there are going to be slips and people need to be okay with it.

I’m not someone who freaked out at the 7DMT and took it to mean anything other than a completely expected blip in rule following.

I think the people that are going are ok with it. However people here keep going on and on and on and on about how people shouldn't go.

Remember how optimistic people were they’d fix the yeti while shut down? 😂 Oh man how times change. Now we’re just like, oh yeah that’s just what John does in this scene, it was a dance move in that decade right? We’re just happy the parks are open!

I know it's been approximately 92 years since March but I guess with all the sturm und drang about the virus people forgot about all the maintenance problems at MK in the days leading up to the closures. People Mover was jacked up, Haunted Mansion was closed a couple days because of craziness with the doom buggies, etc

So .. why would neck gaiters be banned compared to a normal cloth face mask?

Anyway .. saw a vlogger's experience at MK and I have to say it seemed fine. Mask wearing, clearly marked lines, plexiglass in queues, cleaning procedures .. low crowds, and I loved the random character calvacade mini parades and characters just randomly about.

That should be kept for the future (but in order to do that, they'd have to keep crowds down (which we've all been wanting them to do anyway!) :)

Time will tell how this works for normal guests . .and frankly there will be a point of diminishing returns with the social distancing as Disney allows more people in the parks. Just like we saw in those SDMT photos .. social distanced queues can't handle a crowd, so people will spill out into walkways and other areas and not socially distance .. it is just inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter